New Joker Trailer

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited June 2019
    Chinaski said:
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    kinda makes me wanna put clown makeup on my profile pic. 
    now that you said it, you kinda have to...
    this work @cdrive? 3 month later, but better late than never right? <continues to shower in Purell after taking off that silly Raptors profile pic>.

I forgot about this. But I saw it and I was like “Dang.” That is dope. Did you do this cause fuk dude. Skills.
    Chinaski
  • Chinaski said:
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    kinda makes me wanna put clown makeup on my profile pic. 
    now that you said it, you kinda have to...
    this work @cdrive? 3 month later, but better late than never right? <continues to shower in Purell after taking off that silly Raptors profile pic>.

Next year's profile pic has already been picked out for you :)

MurderbearFlukes
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    google image search came through when i asked it "joaquin phoenix her joker". shout out the internet.

cdrive
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    God damnit I thought there was a new trailer. But also that is awesome, so not a total loss.
    ChinaskiCretanBullHatorian
  • God damnit I thought there was a new trailer. But also that is awesome, so not a total loss.
    Same. I saw the new comments and was like heeeellll yyeaaa. Disappointing...
    Murderbear
  • Hatorian said:
    God damnit I thought there was a new trailer. But also that is awesome, so not a total loss.
    Same. I saw the new comments and was like heeeellll yyeaaa. Disappointing...
    I think the new purpose of this thread is to convince @Chinaski that his new permanent profile pic should be a glowing tribute to the NBA Champion Toronto Raptors! 
    ChinaskiMurderbear
  • edited August 2019
    This looks really good. I'm watching this the day it comes out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY
    Chinaskigguenotcdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Dummy said:

Hell.
    tha fuck.
    Yeah.
    Chinaskigguenot
  • God damn this looks excellent

• This seems like the type of movie you would make if you were ashamed of the fact that your character is based on comic books. 
    ken hale
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    holy moley! i'm excited!!
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    This seems like the type of movie you would make if you were ashamed of the fact that your character is based on comic books. 
    It really looks very close to the Joker's origin in the killing joke with some of his supporting characters altered. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 2019
    I watched a trailer today made me think of Taxi Driver rehash plus the Bobby D Doing Jerry Lewis part from King Of Comedy made it more like Marty S homage. Just sayin 

new title Clown Car Driver

cdrivenstinson
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    This trailer is a work of art on its own.
  • Dummy said:

I'm with ya on that.  I typically see whatever new big movie is out on Thursday night and this 100% will be the movie I see the week it comes out.  Looks incredible. 
    rhcoop
  • The cinematography looks amazing!
    cdrive
  • cdrive said:
    rhcoop said:

I think the guy that played the DA in True Detective is playing Thomas Wayne, but I may be mistaken. 
    Yep, you're right.  Just checked on IMDB.  That's Brett Cullen playing Thomas Wayne and the boy is Dante Pereira-Olson playing young Bruce Wayne.  
    I’m out.* Even if it’s an elseworlds story I’ve just never liked the concept of Batman creating Joker or vice/versa.

*By “out” I just mean I won’t be paying to see this. I’m sure I’ll see it at some point down the line. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    ken hale said:
    cdrive said:
    rhcoop said:

I think the guy that played the DA in True Detective is playing Thomas Wayne, but I may be mistaken. 
    Yep, you're right.  Just checked on IMDB.  That's Brett Cullen playing Thomas Wayne and the boy is Dante Pereira-Olson playing young Bruce Wayne.  
    I’m out.* Even if it’s an elseworlds story I’ve just never liked the concept of Batman creating Joker or vice/versa.

*By “out” I just mean I won’t be paying to see this. I’m sure I’ll see it at some point down the line. 
    Just out of curiosity, what do you not like about that aspect? Is it just too cliche? 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I feel like I'm missing something with this. People are mean to him and the world is cruel and his mom dies or something so he turns into the Joker, how is that an interesting movie without some other angle? It seems like the whole story is in that trailer.
  • rhcoop said:
    This seems like the type of movie you would make if you were ashamed of the fact that your character is based on comic books. 
    It really looks very close to the Joker's origin in the killing joke with some of his supporting characters altered. 
    Maybe that’s why I’m so turned off by this movie. The Killing Joke sucks.
  • I feel like I'm missing something with this. People are mean to him and the world is cruel and his mom dies or something so he turns into the Joker, how is that an interesting movie without some other angle? It seems like the whole story is in that trailer.
    I’m particularly peeved about how this seems like it’s trying to make the Joker a sympathetic figure. It’s got a real “well if you didn’t bully that kid maybe he wouldn’t have shot up the school” vibe to it. If that’s how this turns out, they can go fuck themselves. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • kingbee67 said:
    I watched a trailer today made me think of Taxi Driver rehash plus the Bobby D Doing Jerry Lewis part from King Of Comedy made it more like Marty S homage. Just sayin 

new title Clown Car Driver

Definitely big King of Comedy vibes, by design:

I need to rewatch that movie, it's been a long time.

• I feel like I'm missing something with this. People are mean to him and the world is cruel and his mom dies or something so he turns into the Joker, how is that an interesting movie without some other angle? It seems like the whole story is in that trailer.
    I’m particularly peeved about how this seems like it’s trying to make the Joker a sympathetic figure. It’s got a real “well if you didn’t bully that kid maybe he wouldn’t have shot up the school” vibe to it. If that’s how this turns out, they can go fuck themselves. 
    Agreed completely with this.  I'm really looking forward to this but if excessive bullying is essentially what turned the joker into the joker then shit on them.  The other part of me that has a little bit skeptical is part of the fear of the joker is nobody knows his backstory, he just shows up and does these things.  Now we're giving the backstory to that?  Damn it maybe I'm being logical and talking myself out of my excitement for it. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I was getting the vibe that it was a mental health issue exacerbated by a society unequipped to support that. This feels more nuanced than mere bullying. Like he felt invisible.
    rhcoopHatorian
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    So, I'm betting this does set up a Batman universe but one that this Joker, or we, will never see. I've heard this prediction a few times but I feel like the thought that this ends with him, or maybe even someone in a Joker mask, shooting Thomas and Martha Wayne in an alley. Apparently Thomas Wayne is the Mayor of Gotham in this universe so there is probably way more cause for someone to want to shoot him as opposed to whatever rich guy he is in most other tellings.

I guess because I was at the right age when Batman (89) came out that it just always felt okay for The Joker to be the one responsible for "creating" The Batman. As it was explored in the The Dark Knight movie and especially The Arkham Knight video game, they need each other. The yin to the other's yang. So it feels okay to me that in the same era that The Joker is born, so is The Batman.

But like I said, I feel like it's going to be planting a seed in a garden that we'll never see grow. I don't think there will be another movie in this universe, set years down the road where Joaquin is fighting a grown up Batman. At least from the trailers, this universe feels too real for that sort of thing. And that's fine.

Also, I'm open to whatever story they want to tell. It's frustrating sometimes being a fan of comic book movies because everyone has their idea of what "Batman should be." There have been 8 million iterations of Batman over the years in comics. Comic books are allowed to spread their wings and get crazy but movies are not. In a way, I get it. Movies are a little more precious and comic books are so easy to produce. I just think it's cool when a movie is allowed to have its own take on a universe and it not be a big deal.
    Teresa from Concord
    rhcoop said:
    Maybe that’s why I’m so turned off by this movie. The Killing Joke sucks.
    I guess, but other than the weird choice on the last page its the best Alan Moore Batman story.  I don't think its as good as the Man who has everything Superman story, but it's pretty good.   The Bolland art is amazing in it. 

I'm not setting you up for a debate, but why don't you like it?  You've just got some pretty strong feelings about the Joker based on your comments and I'm trying to puzzle them out.

In regards to liking or hating Joker "origin" stories or how he should act, I think that Grant Morrison has the best idea.  His theory is that the explanation for why the Joker is so different from period to period, story arc to story arc is that his psychosis makes his personality shift and he moves up and down the violence spectrum.  Morrison used that to explain how the Joker can murder a family in one story and use Joker fish to menace Gotham in another story or have a painted over mustach in the 66 series. 

I see this movie, the Nolan films and even suicide squad like this.  I don't ever get too twisted up on how the Joker is portrayed.

Now Batman, I've got rules on that :b
    Murderbear

But like I said, I feel like it's going to be planting a seed in a garden that we'll never see grow. I don't think there will be another movie in this universe, set years down the road where Joaquin is fighting a grown up Batman. At least from the trailers, this universe feels too real for that sort of thing. And that's fine.

I've heard the director already has a pitch for a sequel.  I don't know how you can Bat tease fans that much for another Joker movie without the Dark Knight, but FYI.
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @rhcoop Have you read Batman Court of Owls? I've only read the first three volumes but it might be the best Batman story I've ever read. Fantastic. And The Joker in Vol. 3, Death of the Family......hoooo buddy. That's a crazy ass Joker!
    @rhcoop Have you read Batman Court of Owls? I've only read the first three volumes but it might be the best Batman story I've ever read. Fantastic. And The Joker in Vol. 3, Death of the Family......hoooo buddy. That's a crazy ass Joker!
    Snyder and Capullo really understand how to do Batman.   I prefer the Court of Owls story, but I loved death of the family.  

FYI, if you have ever watched Gotham, there is a nice gigantic owl built into the wall of the police department HQ.  

If you like Snyder on Batman, you should get his current JLA run.  It's a lot more like the crazy big Grant Morrison JLA than anything we've had in the last 10 years. 
    Murderbear