Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 2020
    Mom just got laid off but she was the last one so she’s most likely considered the first to get it back when things go back to normal. My dad is still getting paid but he’s not working so he’s not sure when they will stop paying

they both voted for Trump so I hope their man can come save the day and help them
    JaimieTcdriveElisaweeniegirl
  • "Australia: new restrictions as experts warn of 50,000 cases by Easter

PM Scott Morrison has announced new restrictions as experts in Australia warn the country could have 50,000 new cases by Easter."

We were hoping summer was really going to slow it down....

Elisa
  • I don’t want to profit at the expense of others but It just happens we are looking at property this year after renting forever. Looks like it might have been wise to have wait the past couple years....

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/12082014
    ken hale
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Houston's County Judge is ordering a "Stay Home - Work Safe" Order starting at midnight until April 3rd. Essential businesses are allowed to stay open following social distancing measures.  My work is deeming itself essential since we are in manufacturing related to energy/defense/aerospace.  Memo went out last night that if we are forced to shut down then we will all be furloughed without pay until we can resume business as normal.  
    Elisa
  • At least half the people at my office, including most of the management, think this is all a Democrat hoax, and I have to interact with these people constantly and fix their stupid bullshit so that’s what I’ve been dealing with for the past week or two. Also since we’re an “essential business” I still gotta come into the office 8-5 even though I could do most of my job perfectly fine at home. “Oh don’t worry, we’re an essential service, we’ll all be fine”, the goddamn plague doesn’t give a shit about how essential your service is! I’m trying to prepare you dumbfucks for the eventually that someone here catches it and the building has to be quarantined and you’re dunking on me for wearing gloves and complaining about nothing being open?!!! It’s maddening, If we collectively make out of this nightmare I better at least fucking get a raise for dealing with this total unpreparedness and lack of urgency.
    ElisaGiovanniNoelDeeweeniegirl
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Just heard our president announce this will all be over in weeks and not months. So there’s that. 
    ElisaDee
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited March 2020
    @Alkaid13
    it is a hoax brought to you by big TP. You should not have squeezed the charmine.

Just heard our president announce this will all be over in weeks and not months. So there’s that. 
    I think I’m gonna side with the governor of Ca on this one. It’s seems we’ll  be shut down until May at best.
    Elisa
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    So the US is exploring creating a digital currency now. As Jim says, we better get our eCoin prison wallets ready.
    Elisa
  • Ugh! The short-sightedness and lack of leadership coming from Gov. DeSantis is going cost Florida dearly. He says up to 26 counties have zero or just a handful of COVID-19 cases, but that is because only 13,000 tests have been done in a state with 21 million people! Many people are NOT heeding the advice to stay at home, and some can't do it because they're forced to go to work in non-essential jobs that remain open because there's no order to close.

Current data modeling shows predictions that 465,699 people will be hospitalized in Florida because of COVID-19 by April 24, but there will only be 36,384 hospital beds available by that date. Let's say that estimate is off by 50%–it would still be almost 233K beds needed when 36K are available. Make no mistake, this pandemic is going to crash the economy, but with this stubborn inaction and happy talk from state and federal leadership, it's also going to cost thousands of lives that did not have to be lost.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241433806.html?fbclid=IwAR17xewYwhejzg62t_KPrrdthg6iOjiQqjKIYPvRVOATPa_eudTAV9XAKI0

ElisaGiovanniweeniegirl
  • Marci said:
    Ugh! The short-sightedness and lack of leadership coming from Gov. DeSantis is going cost Florida dearly. He says up to 26 counties have zero or just a handful of COVID-19 cases, but that is because only 13,000 tests have been done in a state with 21 million people! Many people are NOT heeding the advice to stay at home, and some can't do it because they're forced to go to work in non-essential jobs that remain open because there's no order to close.

Current data modeling shows predictions that 465,699 people will be hospitalized in Florida because of COVID-19 by April 24, but there will only be 36,384 hospital beds available by that date. Let's say that estimate is off by 50%–it would still be almost 233K beds needed when 36K are available. Make no mistake, this pandemic is going to crash the economy, but with this stubborn inaction and happy talk from state and federal leadership, it's also going to cost thousands of lives that did not have to be lost.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241433806.html?fbclid=IwAR17xewYwhejzg62t_KPrrdthg6iOjiQqjKIYPvRVOATPa_eudTAV9XAKI0

One of the oldest states as well.
    Marci
  • Exactly! We have a huge elderly population. Not to mention what a hub we are for travel, including cruises, theme parks, beaches, etc. Some of that has been closed. The theme parks are closed, the state parks are closed, but so many things are running like it's business as usual. I think we're in for a huge outbreak.
    GiovanniElisa
  • Alkaid13 said:
    At least half the people at my office, including most of the management, think this is all a Democrat hoax, and I have to interact with these people constantly and fix their stupid bullshit so that’s what I’ve been dealing with for the past week or two. Also since we’re an “essential business” I still gotta come into the office 8-5 even though I could do most of my job perfectly fine at home. “Oh don’t worry, we’re an essential service, we’ll all be fine”, the goddamn plague doesn’t give a shit about how essential your service is! I’m trying to prepare you dumbfucks for the eventually that someone here catches it and the building has to be quarantined and you’re dunking on me for wearing gloves and complaining about nothing being open?!!! It’s maddening, If we collectively make out of this nightmare I better at least fucking get a raise for dealing with this total unpreparedness and lack of urgency.

This "democrat hoax" idea drives me up a wall. What's the incentive for China to cooperate in this hoax and destroy it's economy? What's the incentive for Italy? Or for the U.K., FOR FUCK'S SAKE?! These people aren't even attempting to use any critical thinking skills.
    Alkaid13MarciMichaelGGiovanniNoelElisaweeniegirl
  • @Jim
    But what you’re missing here is....it’s all a conspiracy by the world banking system to cull 90% of the world’s population, orchestrated by the Rothschilds. That’s why kids are so unaffected by it, they want to kill off all the olds and brainwash the remaining youngs. Also, Donald Trump is either the savior of mankind, or secretly the Anti-Christ, or both?

These are, I shit you not, just a few of the things that I’ve been hearing from coworkers. 
    GiovanniJimFreddyNoelElisa
  • After this is over can I add Boomer Wrangler to my resume?

In a totally unrelated question what are the laws exactly pertaining to chaining the elderly to a couch?

JSDCAken hale
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited March 2020
    It’s like I’m living in an alternate reality, suddenly a bunch of pro-life, Jesus loves you, everybody help your neighbors types have decided “I mean, it’s only like what, a 1% death rate? No big deal, acceptable losses, people die all the time. What’s the real travesty is I can’t go to the nail salon anymore.” And they have the nerve to tell me that I should “think more critically, you know the problem with America today is all this groupthink and no one can think for themselves”. I point blank asked “so what’s the plan if someone gets sick?” And they said “oh we’ll just deal with it if it comes to that”. Deal with it how?! There’s two fucking IT guys here and we’re literally the only people concerned with setting up remote work potentials for people in the whole company!
    GiovanniawookieeElisaken hale
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 2020
    The modern Republican party is the pro-life* party.

* Pro-life only if you're a fetus or a not-poor person under 60 without any underlying health conditions and the stock market isn't tanking.

like there won't be a fucking economic collapse if our hospitals are overrun and millions die (oh I'm sorry, I mean "only 2% of people", that's so much more reasonable sounding) in a relatively short period of time!!$#@&;!!?! These fuckin' guys.

Giovanni
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    This thread got political fast.
    MrXNoel
  • Lol, yeah well it’s sort of hard to divorce politics from the response to this crisis right now. I’m using this primarily as a thread to vent because otherwise I’d have a complete meltdown right now. 
    MarciMrXNoelDeeweeniegirlken hale
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 2020
    JaimieT said:
    This thread got Swizzbold-y fast.
    FIFY   ;)

We got every door open at this place so we don't have to touch handles.  It's 85 degrees in Houston today and it is muggy AS FUCK.  Trying not to sweat too bad.  Got visitors coming in a minute.  We're checking their temp.  We printed out copies of a letter from our business stating we are essential in case we get questioned by a cop coming and leaving work.  Houston is enforcing stay at home at "the police officer's discretion" with possible fines and jail time up to 180 days.       
    Alkaid13JaimieTNoelElisa
  • I mean that’s the way we should have been doing this from the start, enforced quarantine for at least a few weeks wouldn’t totally solve the issue but it’s leagues better than the chaos happening now. You’re almost certainly going to see a direct correlation between states that have their shit together on this and lower infection rates compared to, say, Florida. 
    Marci
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I mean that’s the way we should have been doing this from the start, enforced quarantine for at least a few weeks wouldn’t totally solve the issue but it’s leagues better than the chaos happening now. You’re almost certainly going to see a direct correlation between states that have their shit together on this and lower infection rates compared to, say, Florida. 
    enforced quarantine, followed by intense testing
    Elisa
  • tom_g said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    I mean that’s the way we should have been doing this from the start, enforced quarantine for at least a few weeks wouldn’t totally solve the issue but it’s leagues better than the chaos happening now. You’re almost certainly going to see a direct correlation between states that have their shit together on this and lower infection rates compared to, say, Florida. 
    enforced quarantine, followed by intense testing

The funny (not funny) thing is we could safely get the economy started just like the "cure worse than the disease" people want in about 4 weeks if the government had an aggressive testing strategy and infrastructure. That's how other countries have gotten a handle on this. It's not like South Korea is indefinitely locked down! 
    Giovanni
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited March 2020
    our apparent strategy will get us beyond this quickly . . . with maximum damage
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2020
    Our small(ish) county just had our third confirmed case today. :(

Edit: make that a fourth.  They just confirmed another positive patient.
  • Yeah we’ve had 10 cases in my county, which is 100,000 apparently so a small percentage, but we’re on the smaller side in terms of counties here. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I've found the best way to make the time go by is by poking the MAGAts on facebook. They're very touchy right now.
    Michelle
  • Dispatch from insanity-ville:

Just had an impromptu meeting that was supposed to “cheer me up” somehow after I expressed some concern about the current state of the country; it was “explained” to me that, apparently, 5G “breaks O2 into separate Oxygen atoms” which is why everyone is having breathing problems.
    Giovannihisdudeness915MichelleNoel
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited March 2020
    My county - 105,000ish - has 8 cases.  4 residents of a senior living center, 2 staff, 2 others.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    My province - About 940,000 - 51 confirmed cases.
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Dispatch from insanity-ville:

Just had an impromptu meeting that was supposed to “cheer me up” somehow after I expressed some concern about the current state of the country; it was “explained” to me that, apparently, 5G “breaks O2 into separate Oxygen atoms” which is why everyone is having breathing problems.
    WTF?

Are they sure it isn’t the chemtrails, or the fluoridated water, or an allergy to Sasquatch dander that is cause these respiratory symptoms?
    NoelGiovanni