Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @MichaelG - Yes, I have a cloth mask like that, with a colorful design, and only one vent. I really like self check-out right now. I hate that these workers are getting exposed, and I'm glad that stores are putting shields up. 
    MichaelG
  • Everyone should be wearing a mask. The only reason it’s not recommended is shortage. 
    FreddyMarci
  • I work in tech support for the government. And the amount of workers going home to work is about to cause every technician to have a stroke. I’m lucky to be deemed essential and working, but with everyone pushing work at home I feel for all the IT folks out there struggling to keep up with the immediate increase in demand. 
    DeeMarciNoelGiovanniCapeGabeGan
  • Our governor (Colorado) said today that they've estimated the R0 in our state to be 3-4, i.e. every infected person infects 3 to 4 more people. Obviously based on a lot of assumptions with the lack of testing, but if they're right, oof. Gonna be a long and tough road ahead. But the good news is the modeled scenarios show if we can achieve 60-80% reduction in social contact the ICU cases and deaths will be way less than the worst-case scenarios.

MichaelGGan

• Stay safe out there. 

From my previously voracious and now limited research on this stuff, I’d say the R0 is higher than we think and the fatality rate is lower then we think. There are so many a-symptomatic people out there. 
    JaimieTMrX
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    MichaelG said:
    JaimieT said:
    So many people are wearing masks right now! This is truly the best reality. If it were socially acceptable I wouldn't even have a face.
    Our grocery stores out here are getting trippy:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/plexiglass-sneeze-shields-coming-to-a-supermarket-near-you/

Is it wrong her mask reminds me of Bane from Batman?

If I had a mask I would totally wear it to the grocery store, with little shame.  I'd gladly return any stares/glares with a "Wanna get coughed on you little pissant" look.
    Giovanni
    Wash your hands, and remember to WASH YOUR PHONE. I took the case off mine and I use my hand-wash lather to clean it, works like a charm (I'd assume). PSA.
  • *cue A.Ron Bane impression*

“They are expecting one of us to be amongst the wreckage, brother.“
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    *cue A.Ron Bane impression*

“They are expecting one of us to be amongst the wreckage, brother.“
    As DoubleA_Ron, I expect double the impression!
    DoubleA_Ron
  • JaimieT said:
    I feel that. I'm looking forward to a normal night of sleep one day. I'm pretty good at keeping the anxiety at bay during the day, but it just waits until night when I'm falling asleep, when I can't be so vigilant. I have to play a podcast/YouTube to fall asleep to, every night.  :(
    I’m there with ya. If I don’t take anything to help some nights i find the need to turn on YouTube and put on one of those 10 hour black screen videos that has like rain or crashing waves or something like that. 

My wife swears by passionflower in you’re looking for something natural. I haven’t tried it though
    JaimieT
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
     I have to play a podcast/YouTube to fall asleep to, every night.  :(
    I'm like that every night/morning.  I don't know that I NEED it every time (especially at night), but I almost always fall asleep watching something on the TV.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I always play one of those ten hour rain videos on YouTube at night to go to sleep, occasionally during the day when I’m just lying on the couch reading too. (It’s great on hot days because it tricks my brain into thinking it’s colder.) 
    HatorianGanFreddy
    edited March 2020
    Just to clarify, I do play brown noise sounds on a separate device. (I'm such a light sleeper I know what brown noise is!) The goal of the YouTube/podcasts is to occupy my brain... it keeps me from ruminating. Keeps me from starting this adrenaline/worry spiral. When I get exhausted, I switch to the brown noise, then usually fall asleep within 5 minutes. This is usually my last resort strategy, and I do NOT want to make it a routine, but right now it seems to need to be.

I am probably the world's lightest fall-asleeper. It's genetic; my dad is like this too. Once I'm asleep, it's not hard to stay like that. I'm also doing 50 other things to help me fall asleep, but let's keep this short.  :D

That's interesting about the rain sounds making it feel cooler, @Dee.
  • Dee said:
    I always play one of those ten hour rain videos on YouTube at night to go to sleep, occasionally during the day when I’m just lying on the couch reading too. (It’s great on hot days because it tricks my brain into thinking it’s colder.) 
    haha we’re probably watching the same YouTube video at the same time...you’re just a few hours already Into your sleep by the time I start...
    Dee
  • JaimieT said:
    Wash your hands, and remember to WASH YOUR PHONE. I took the case off mine and I use my hand-wash lather to clean it, works like a charm (I'd assume). PSA.
    THIS. I've been taking my case off and washing it with soap and water every other day, and wiping the phone down with alcohol wipes.
    JaimieT

• It is clear by now that after this initial onslaught testing is going to be key. I am talking about a shitload. Both for having the virus and antibody counts. The huge infrastructure needed for that should be starting now but of course won't.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Hatorian said:
    Dee said:
    haha we’re probably watching the same YouTube video at the same time...you’re just a few hours already Into your sleep by the time I start...
    YouTube twinsies! 
    HatorianFreddy
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    edited March 2020
    If my wife and I can get tested for antibodies, we are planning on donating plasma. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/health/plasma-coronavirus-treatment.html?auth=login-email&login=email
    CoryMarci
  • Pandemic = solved. Although I'd be a bit more reassured if J-Lo was also on the line with ARod.

NoelElisaGiovanni
  • MrX said:
    Pandemic = solved. Although I'd be a bit more reassured if J-Lo was also on the line 

Free steroid shots for everyone! 

MrXNoelElisacdrive
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    MrX said:
    Pandemic = solved. Although I'd be a bit more reassured if J-Lo was also on the line with ARod.

Could be worse. Could be getting advice from an Astros player. Shoutout @cdrive.
    MrXcdriveGiovanni
  • Dee said:
    Me too actually. Actually it has to be very specific, it has to be the sound of real rain, without any loops. Sometimes it can take me a long time to fall asleep, hours even and if I notice any breaks in the audio it distracts me and annoys me. So I preferably look for videos that actually show the rain, and not a static screen or CGI animation.

I also always have the fan on full blast. Sometimes, if I can set it up correctly I listen to the sound of rain plus webcam footage w audio of a bullet train from Japan. There as this one video that I could occasionally hear citizens talking or arguing about daily life stuff as they walked near the tracks/bridge. For some reason I found that very soothing.
    JaimieTDee
    edited March 2020
    Marci said:
    @Marci - I am thinking about joining that group myself. It seems like something I've been looking for lately. Thanks for the link!
    Oh, that's cool! I plan to do it at some point too. I actually had planned to start it soon, since I just wrapped up a round of therapy to deal with some specific issues and was feeling really good about that, so it seemed like a great time to get deeper into thought work. But since the job loss, I'm a little hesitant to spend the money right now. Still, it's cheaper than therapy and I have more time for it now, so it may be a good time to do it anyway. From what I can gather, you get a good overview of the model within the first 5-6 weeks and you get a lot of materials you can continue to work with on your own. If you stay in for 3 months, you get some additional bonus stuff, plus the extra time on exclusive podcasts she does just for members and with the group on Facebook. There are additional things for more time in too, but I was estimating that I would want a 2-3 month membership (it's $97 per month).

Good luck with the grocery trip. I'd feel a little weird about the mask too, but I think it may become the new normal soon, and you're right - you'd be protecting yourself and others if you did it.

It is a lot of money, but it's also exactly what I've been looking for. She does stuff on body image, she does stuff on not believing your thoughts (which I got from Wayne Dyer and Byron Katie, but I've depleted them now). Even the feminism angle. I'd find men doing good self-help things, but I couldn't get past the fact that my brain has been fucked with, from birth, so that half the population has an easier time with life. So many disempowering thoughts hide in this disempowerment. I wanted someone who addressed that and understood how it felt. I'm very excited.
    Marci
  • edited March 2020
    JaimieT said:
    It is a lot of money, but it's also exactly what I've been looking for. She does stuff on body image, she does stuff on not believing your thoughts (which I got from Wayne Dyer and Byron Katie, but I've depleted them now). Even the feminism angle. I'd find men doing good self-help things, but I couldn't get past the fact that my brain has been fucked with, from birth, so that half the population has an easier time with life. So many disempowering thoughts hide in this disempowerment. I wanted someone who addressed that and understood how it felt. I'm very excited.
    It seems like a worthwhile investment to me and if it's exactly what you need right now, all the better! I was happy to have stumbled into it via an interview Kara did on a creativity podcast I like, and I've listened to all of her podcasts now. Let me know if you do it. I may be joining you soon!
    BTW @JaimieT - if you're not on her mailing list yet, you might want to sign up. She's doing a free coaching session next Thursday. You just have to register for it.

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    NHS representative in today's briefing said that UK can consider itself do have done a good job if we can avoid going over 20,000 deaths. Well that's a fucking sobering number.

Today they've announced plans to turn Birmingham Airport into a temporary mortuary for up to 12,000 dead.
    nstinson
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    amyja89 said:
    NHS representative in today's briefing said that UK can consider itself do have done a good job if we can avoid going over 20,000 deaths. Well that's a fucking sobering number.

Today they've announced plans to turn Birmingham Airport into a temporary mortuary for up to 12,000 dead.
    Bloody hell, that’s grim. How’s that herd immunity working out, BoJo? (Not that our PM has behaved any better.) 
    CapeGabe
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 2020
    Stay the fuck at home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0G63uzhFP4

i actually enjoy staying at home as i dont feel bad for not taking the kids out during the weekend...ha
    JaimieTChinaskiNoelMichelle
  • Hall County closed for two weeks. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    More scenes from San Francisco:

Noelnstinson