Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Cory said:
    Feel better @Michelle.

How's @JaimieT?  Still sick?

Hope anyone feeling under the weather will feel better soon.
    Thanks!  Actually feeling a bit better today, no temp still.  I wonder if I have a lil bug or bad allergy related asthma (which I do get at this time of the year).  Either way I think I’m no longer wondering if it was the start of cv.  Whew.

And thanks to everyone else for your thoughts & well wishes.  I love our fam here. :heart:
    MarciJaimieTcdriveChinaskiNoelDeeCapeGabeGiovanniFlukesweeniegirland 1 other.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Finally found gf flour in the supermarket this morning and grabbed two for my kid who is coeliac - thinking one for my house, one for hers. The checkout chick told me I could only have one, and was so apologetic I just shrugged and said, “It’s fine, not your fault.” She said, “I just never know which way that conversation is going to go.” I guess because I look like a classic Karen, she was just waiting for me to go off. She told me about a few different customers yelling and screaming at her and it just makes me so sad and angry. I want to stand in the supermarket all day and go Full Mum on anyone who dares to kick up at those workers. I can’t even fathom why anyone would take their anger out on someone who is completely powerless in making the rules of the business. People are such arseholes. 
    MarciChinaskiJaimieTbazjensterNoelMichelleGiovanniJSDCAFlukesweeniegirl
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dee said:
    Finally found gf flour in the supermarket this morning and grabbed two for my kid who is coeliac - thinking one for my house, one for hers. The checkout chick told me I could only have one, and was so apologetic I just shrugged and said, “It’s fine, not your fault.” She said, “I just never know which way that conversation is going to go.” I guess because I look like a classic Karen, she was just waiting for me to go off. She told me about a few different customers yelling and screaming at her and it just makes me so sad and angry. I want to stand in the supermarket all day and go Full Mum on anyone who dares to kick up at those workers. I can’t even fathom why anyone would take their anger out on someone who is completely powerless in making the rules of the business. People are such arseholes. 
    a similar thing happened to me this morning. my grocery had TP so i took two 4 packs of 'soft'. checkout dude tells me i could only take one. so i put them back and grabbed an 8 pack of 'ultra strong'.  when i got back i said, 'really sorry. i thought two 4 packs was the same as one 8 pack. i'm really not a terrible person'. he just chuckled and said it was all good. i think he was expecting me to give him a hard time, but that was the last thing on my mind.
    MichelleDeeJSDCA
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Stopped at a Dollar General this morning needing paper towels for work.  We have 2 workstations with 1 roll each and 1 in the bathroom.  We were down to 1/4 roll on 1, and the other two empty.  All they had were 1 packs with a handwritten sign saying "LIMIT 1"  I took 3 to the front anyway and asked at checkout if the 1 packs were limit 1 since all the 3 packs were sold out.  She said, "I'm not gonna fight you for it.  I think it's more for the toilet paper."

So I bought 3 packs!  We're good for another week.  Now if I can just find TP, hand sanitizer, 91% isopropyl (for work, not homemade sanitizer), and regular old hand soap.
    Michelleweeniegirl
    Stopped at a Dollar General this morning needing paper towels for work.  We have 2 workstations with 1 roll each and 1 in the bathroom.  We were down to 1/4 roll on 1, and the other two empty.  All they had were 1 packs with a handwritten sign saying "LIMIT 1"  I took 3 to the front anyway and asked at checkout if the 1 packs were limit 1 since all the 3 packs were sold out.  She said, "I'm not gonna fight you for it.  I think it's more for the toilet paper."

So I bought 3 packs!  We're good for another week.  Now if I can just find TP, hand sanitizer, 91% isopropyl (for work, not homemade sanitizer), and regular old hand soap.
    I've been able to find hand soap at Target, but I normally pick mine up from Bath & Body Works so I've been ordering online from them as well.  Good luck finding sanitizer & alcohol.  I've had zero luck with those items and with disinfecting wipes.
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited April 2020
    Keep hope alive y’all - it appears we are at the peak of the curve here in the PNW, my county (where all this started) seems to be tapering off from the latest data:

If your city or state has been vigilant you should see the same thing soon. 
    DoubleA_RonNoelGiovanniMarciweeniegirl
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    MichaelG said:
    Keep hope alive y’all - it appears we are at the peak of the curve here in the PNW, my county (where all this started) seems to be tapering off from the latest data:

If your city or state has been vigilant you should see the same thing soon. 
    I’ve been keeping up with cases around my area, specifically Dallas county, and according to reports the cases in Dallas have been steady and even went down this weekend. Granted they came back up Monday through Wednesday but not as bad as they had previously. Good news considering that the peak of Texas isn’t going to be until the 25th of April or so. Trying to stay positive.
    MichaelG
    Georgia has been late to respond and mostly only issued half measures.  We only started shelter in place 6 days ago.  They haven't closed non-essential businesses.  Only required them to limit the number of customers/employees, provide sanitizer, clean high traffic areas, etc.  Our shelter order even reopened the states beaches, which were previously closed.

Our peak resource use is projected for 4/20 with peak deaths to be 4/21 at 81.  Oddly enough, we had 100 deaths added to our official totals from Sunday to Monday this week, so that projection seems pretty optimistic.  

My day job is "essential."  We primarily repair cellphones and tablets, which arguably are very important for people right now, whether working from home, in public, or unemployed.  We've seen a significant increase in phone calls, and a decent increase in business since the SIP order was put in place last weekend.  I'm sanitizing keyboards, mouse, pinpads, doors, and counters between each customer, and we're using a UVC sanitizer to clean cell phones before using an alcohol based sanitizer to clean them again prior to repairs.

I'm hoping this trend continues.  I'm selling my house and buying another one in early May, and need my small business employer to stay open and continue employing me until after that happens!
    Alkaid13Noelweeniegirl
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 2020
    Well the airlines are not returning the money.  Just got off the phone with United.  They will return the $56 in taxes for my wife's ticket to Tokyo, and my 115,000 Mileage Plus points I used back to my account.  But they won't return my $1142 for my ticket. They could only turn that into a voucher good for 24 months that can be used multiple times until it's used up.  It can be transferred to other people / employees needing to travel.  It's been on my credit card, with me hoping they would give me back my money but now I have to expense it and hopefully not have too much trouble with my work about it.  Just sucks.  
    CapeGabeFlukesMichelleNoelnstinson
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    cdrive said:
    Well the airlines are not returning the money.  Just got off the phone with United.  They will return the $56 in taxes for my wife's ticket to Tokyo, and my 115,000 Mileage Plus points I used back to my account.  But they won't return my $1142 for my ticket. They could only turn that into a voucher good for 24 months that can be used multiple times until it's used up.  It can be transferred to other people / employees needing to travel.  It's been on my credit card, with me hoping they would give me back my money but now I have to expense it and hopefully not have too much trouble with my work about it.  Just sucks.  
    That sucks. We all need to remember how these companies treated people in a trying time. United fucked me over last summer and left my wife and kid stranded overnight. I'm done with them. 
    cdriveNoelGiovanni
    cdrive said:
    Same, British Airways is only offering vouchers, but that's ok since I still plan on flying to England when this is all over.
    Sorry you're out that money.  :(
    cdriveNoel
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Second death in my province today.  A 90-year-old woman with underlying health problems.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @cdrive You can't be alone with that issue (at your work).... I'd be surprised if you were. But good luck.

Delta just gave me a voucher too.
    cdrive
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    We also cancelled a trip in March and Air Canada gave us a credit valid for only 12 months. It was just my wife and kids going east to visit her side of the family and we originally planned to just postpone until the summer and I would go along too. I'm not sure if we'll still do that or if I'll even be allowed to take my PTO by then. There's no point to this post, I'm just commiserating. 
    Noelcdrive
    There is an assisted living facility about 5 minutes from my house that is up to 12 deaths. I'm glad my parents are still in their home. 
    Michelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Flukes said:
    We also cancelled a trip in March and Air Canada gave us a credit valid for only 12 months. It was just my wife and kids going east to visit her side of the family and we originally planned to just postpone until the summer and I would go along too. I'm not sure if we'll still do that or if I'll even be allowed to take my PTO by then. There's no point to this post, I'm just commiserating. 
    Your wife is from out this way?
    Cory said:
    Flukes said:
    Yes, Cape Breton :)
  • 260 cases in SG from the foreign worker dorms...this is bad. Especially since construction of public works is essential so they will be working and travelling. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Flukes said:
    Cory said:
    Flukes said:
    Yes, Cape Breton :)
    Whoa, my province!
    Flukes
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Dak Prescott (quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys) got caught throwing a party this last weekend:

I'm a little surprised. He comes off as pretty even keeled and pragmatic; especially for a pro football player. It's times like these that you really see what drives people. I love going out and partying as much as the next person, but I haven't had any real issue with stay at home orders. If anything I miss golf the most. Even then I'm probably still going to wait until things really open back up. The unfortunate thing about golf is it attracts a lot of Trump supporters. On its own this isn't a big deal, but along with standard "I refuse to vote Democrat" Trump supporters comes COVID deniers and the dreaded "oh social distancing and masks are for people who aren't me or Trump" guys. Damn shame, really. Golf is about as close to a social distancing activity as you can get. Oh well, I can only imagine how bad germ paranoia messes with your swing.

• I'm not surprised about Dak TBH. It seems like almost a necessity that NFL players have an invincibility complex. 
  • One thing I've learned during the pandemic - Kacie Hunt arranges the books in her home office library by color - THAT IS INSANE!

• tom_g said:
    One thing I've learned during the pandemic - Kacie Hunt arranges the books in her home office library by color - THAT IS INSANE!

I know a couple people who do this ... I think it's popular with some of the Pinterest types.
  • edited April 2020
    tom_g said:
    One thing I've learned during the pandemic - Kacie Hunt arranges the books in her home office library by color - THAT IS INSANE!

Better than the "spines to the wall, pages out" crowd. 

Edit - And I do have some old book collections that I keep on shelves solely because they look cool, not gonna lie. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    FYI from BBC - Spain, one of the countries worst hit by the coronavirus, is beginning to ease strict lockdown measures that have brought its economy to a standstill.

People in manufacturing, construction and some services are being allowed to return to work, but must stick to strict safety guidelines.

The rest of the population must still remain at home.

DoubleA_Ron
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited April 2020
    Preaching to the choir about the health care system...

My ex-employer is going to pay for their previous portion of my health care until September 30. That's nice of them. Anyway, here's where it gets funny. September 30, if I don't have a job, I'm SOL for getting health insurance from the marketplace (aka Obamacare). Yes, the employer no longer subsidizing my COBRA is not a qualifying event for getting a marketplace plan. If I want FULL coverage, no interruptions***, I'm better turning down that money and getting a marketplace plan. The way I'm doing it, I'll be gambling that the month of October is peaceful. Open enrollment is Nov 1.

Why does it gotta be like this?  :D

*** (edit) Unless I want to pay $570 for the full priced COBRA, you know.
    Flukes
    edited April 2020
    I would think the $570 will probably be cheaper than 7 months of marketplace plans, based on my marketplace plans price despite significant credits.