Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Evan said:
    My results unfortunately came back positive. I feel okay so far, but it's early days. With an existing heart condition, I have cause for concern. 
    Wish me luck.
    Stay safe, stay indoors. 
    dang! wishing you all the good vibes and luck in the world. hang in there and stay positive. you got this!
    EvanNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    That’s awful to hear, @Evan. Please take care of yourself, and I hope you get through it okay. <3
    Noel
  • Evan said:
    My results unfortunately came back positive. I feel okay so far, but it's early days. With an existing heart condition, I have cause for concern. 
    Wish me luck.
    Stay safe, stay indoors. 

Take care Evan!  Pullin for ya.
    Evan
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Evan said:
    Wish me luck.
    Stay safe, stay indoors. 

Wishing you a speedy and easy recovery. Feel better soon. 
    Evan
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Evan said:
    Wish me luck.
    Stay safe, stay indoors. 
    If you don't mind me asking, what are the details of your case? I am at least one person removed from anyone who has gotten it. Do you have an idea of how you contracted it? What part of the world? How was testing?
    Noel
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn

This will come off as a brag, but I wanted to highlight that there are some companies treating their employee's well during this time.  I work for a mid size architectural engineering firm (900 employees).  We have had many projects go on hold so we're pretty concerned with future workload.  Our CEO had a town hall and explained what the company was doing in order to keep staff as long as possible.

1. All non-critical spending is on hold (non project travel, 401K match, training, etc).
    2. CEO 20% pay reduction and principles (qty. 20) 10% pay reduction.
    3. No staff reduction for April and will evaluate month to month.
    4. Company will operate at break even point for up to 6 months.
    5. Future option: Reduced work hours (40 to 30) while maintaining benefits.
    6. Future option: Furloughs for up to 60 days while maintaining benefits.
    7. Future option: Layoffs are the last resort.

If our clients don’t start their projects back up there will be layoffs, but I'm pretty lucky in the meantime.

My company is lucky as well because we are essential because we make pet care products.  I'm proud to say that all of our employees are working full time from home except our outward facing pet day care personnel due to obvious lack of demand.   

I don't think there are any plans to slow down or have any reductions, but we have enacted some of the same steps as your company has. 

All non critical spending is on hold, all non essential travel and expansion of hires are on hold except for areas that are necessary for managing the business. 

It will be a tough year for our company because I expect the effect of the virus to hit in April or most likely May.  

However, one positive side affect of this is that most pet shelters have had a massive expansion of pet adoptions since this quarantine so lots of needy animals have good homes now.  A lot of shelters don't even have any animals available now.   That is great. 
    Marci
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    rhcoop said:

My company is lucky as well because we are essential because we make pet care products.  I'm proud to say that all of our employees are working full time from home except our outward facing pet day care personnel due to obvious lack of demand.   

I don't think there are any plans to slow down or have any reductions, but we have enacted some of the same steps as your company has. 

All non critical spending is on hold, all non essential travel and expansion of hires are on hold except for areas that are necessary for managing the business. 

It will be a tough year for our company because I expect the effect of the virus to hit in April or most likely May.  

However, one positive side affect of this is that most pet shelters have had a massive expansion of pet adoptions since this quarantine so lots of needy animals have good homes now.  A lot of shelters don't even have any animals available now.   That is great. 
    Which products? I have a cat and would be happy to support you and your company. I just bought a new water fountain bowl and soon need to restock on pet food. Except for gardening stuff I'm not really buying anything else right now.
    Flukes
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    rh 
    Which products? I have a cat and would be happy to support you and your company. I just bought a new water fountain bowl and soon need to restock on pet food. Except for gardening stuff I'm not really buying anything else right now.
    Teresa, I work for PetSafe.  We have lots of cat focused products.  I know you said you have a fountain, but we make some pretty fountains, feeders and we have a scoop free litter box that is our best product for cats IMO.  We have several laser toys and conventional cat toys as well.  

We have 3 cats and I have a lot of my company's products in my house for the cats and my dog.  I like the auto feeder as well.  It makes life a lot easier as it will hold about 2 weeks of food and it has an app you can feed your pets on demand. 

It's a company started and based in Knoxville and it is a medium to large employer in my area.  Our founder is the President of UT Knoxville now so we have deep local roots and we are the company that sponsors many of the Dog parks that are all over the country now. 

https://www.petsafe.net/?utm_source=petsafe.com&utm_medium=referral

All of these products are on Amazon, but you can buy straight from PetSafe.   Look on here and if you are interested let me know as I can probably help with pricing.  If you or anyone else is let me know and you all can email me. 

I wasn't trying to turn this into an ad, but I do love the company I work for and I think we help a lot of people and pets. 
    Teresa from ConcordMarciGiovanni
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Evan said:
    Wish me luck.
    Stay safe, stay indoors. 
    Evan, I'm so sorry to hear this.  Please stay home, stay safe, and recover quickly.  Wishing you all the best. 
    FlukesGiovanniEvan
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Evan I’m very sorry. Be brave and get well! We got your back man. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Evan said:
    Wish me luck.
    Stay safe, stay indoors. 
    Sorry to hear this.
    If you feel up to it, be sure to drop by every day or two, or three, just to let us know how you're doing.
    FlukesJaimieTNoelMichelleDeeFreddycdriveEvan
  • Sorry @Evan. I hope you feel better soon!
  • @Evan all the best man. Don’t try to be hero with anything. The minute something feels off you need to head to the hospital. When I was in the hospital I saw a few people on deaths door and it was not easy to see. Pulling for ya. 

Btw no flights out in Singapore. Cannot leave until May. The first flight to Australia isn’t until mid May. They are also rumors they may split up the city into sections that can’t be crossed. 

Oh and this sunlight temperature thing is bullshit. Singapore gets 12 hours of sun a day and high humidity and 99 degrees everyday and we are getting 600 cases a day. The disease does not die in this environment. 
    CoryEvan
  • edited April 2020
    MichaelG said:
    He's going to kill us all! Governor Florida Man.

Of course, he kinda fits right in. #FloridaMorons is trending on Twitter. Here's Jacksonville Beach last night after they reopened it–absolutely packed, nobody wearing masks.

MichaelGGiovanni
  • I am Nick Nolte and the team is MAGA nation/the Federal government: 

I won’t debate or devolve more than this, don’t swizzbold me! 
    MarciGiovanni
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Marci said:
    MichaelG said:
    He's going to kill us all! Governor Florida Man.

Of course, he kinda fits right in. #FloridaMorons is trending on Twitter. Here's Jacksonville Beach last night after they reopened it–absolutely packed, nobody wearing masks.

If there was a giant great white shark stalking the beach would they close it down, and would everyone stay away?
    Marci
    I'm right back where I was before almost 2 weeks ago - bad headache, sore throat, pain across upper chest.
    So far my temp has been normal, but I'm keeping an eye on it.  Resting, watching a lot of amazon/Netflix/Hulu,drinking liquids.  I'm sure it's *not* Covid, but it's so hard to know anymore.  Like I said, keeping an eye on my temp and pain level. :confused:
    JaimieTDeeGiovanni
  • https://twitter.com/kentremendous/status/1251352672587767809?s=21 
    Mike Schur knows where it’s at!

Sorry you’re feeling crappy @Michelle. I hope it clears up soon. Get lots of rest.
    MichelleTeresa from Concord
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle Is it possible it’s some kind of anxiety/stress thing that keeps coming up? I know you were super worried about your dad (how’s he going by the way)? 
    edited April 2020
    Dee said:
    @Michelle Is it possible it’s some kind of anxiety/stress thing that keeps coming up? I know you were super worried about your dad (how’s he going by the way)? 
    Any anxiety or stress I've ever had never manifested in physical illness.  
    I've been sleeping off and on today, and the pain in my throat and chest is a bit worse.  Drinking hot coffee right now, but had soup earlier.  Just trying to keep hot fluids in.  The chest pain is the thing that is throwing me a bit.  I've never had a sore throat with this type of pain before.  

(Dad's fine, it finally sunk in that he needs to stay home.  Thanks for asking :) )

(Also, thanks @Marci)

Marci
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 2020
    @Michelle Hopefully it’s just a bug but don’t mess about with chest pain. If it doesn’t go away, go to hospital. Better to go and find it’s nothing than not go and have something awful happen. <3

Great to hear your dad got the message at last. I think all the old people popping their clogs here put the wind up my mum a bit because she’s stopped going out finally. I still don’t talk to her about it much though because she just can’t help with the stupid comments about “everyone over-reacting”. 
    NoelMichelle
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Hatorian said:
    @Evan all the best man. Don’t try to be hero with anything. The minute something feels off you need to head to the hospital. When I was in the hospital I saw a few people on deaths door and it was not easy to see. Pulling for ya. 

Btw no flights out in Singapore. Cannot leave until May. The first flight to Australia isn’t until mid May. They are also rumors they may split up the city into sections that can’t be crossed. 

Oh and this sunlight temperature thing is bullshit. Singapore gets 12 hours of sun a day and high humidity and 99 degrees everyday and we are getting 600 cases a day. The disease does not die in this environment. 
    Saw an article today saying Singapore was ramping back up and had its worst day yet. Stay safe out there. 
    Hatorian
    Dee said:
    @Michelle Hopefully it’s just a bug but don’t mess about with chest pain. If it doesn’t go away, go to hospital. Better to go and find it’s nothing than not go and have something awful happen. <3

Great to hear your dad got the message at last. I think all the old people popping their clogs here put the wind up my mum a bit because she’s stopped going out finally. I still don’t talk to her about it much though because she just can’t help with the stupid comments about “everyone over-reacting”. 
    Thanks @Dee.  Feeling the same today, lots of pain radiating in my upper chest and throat is really sore, coughing some, bad headache, a bit sinusy.  My temp is still somewhat normal.  It did go up by 1.2 degrees but no biggie there.  Taking Tylenol, wrapped up in a blanket, drinking coffee, binging The Expanse.  I'm sure I'll be ok. :)

Glad your mom's staying in now.  Why do our parents have to be so stubborn?
    DeeNoel
  • fidoz said:
    Hatorian said:
    @Evan all the best man. Don’t try to be hero with anything. The minute something feels off you need to head to the hospital. When I was in the hospital I saw a few people on deaths door and it was not easy to see. Pulling for ya. 

Saw an article today saying Singapore was ramping back up and had its worst day yet. Stay safe out there. 
    The gov made a big mistake by overlooking the equivalent of the projects here. Huge dorms/buildings packed like sardines of the foreign workers who get treated and paid like shit so have to live like that. And Covid has just swept through like a brushfire. 99% of cases are from there. There was like 15 from the rest of the city and over 1000 from the foreign workers. Luckily none of them have died yet and hopefully this will be a wake up call for how these people are treated in the future. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    cdrive said:
    This is not good for the home team. I'm sure you, like me, have a lot of friends in that industry. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    -$28/bbl
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Well, Georgia has decided to start a partial reopening on Friday.  Restaurants, hair salons, gyms, movie theaters, nail salons, and massage therapists.  Despite the fact we are rated #29 among states for testing, and we are still putting up more cases and deaths per day than when we went into SIP less than 3 weeks ago.

Georgia timeline:

3/18, schools closed:  51 new cases.
    3/24, mass gatherings stopped: 254 new cases
    4/3: SIP ordered: 483 new cases
    Yesterday: 632 new cases.
    Tomorrow:  Reopening
    Flukes