Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    How is everyone holding up?

I want to go to a beach soooooooooo bad.  Or a nice pristine river like the Blanco River here in Texas.  I spent some of yesterday going to vrbo and orbitz just fantasizing.  I tracked down 2 old river houses I've done a weekend at with friends years and years ago:  http://www.shaderanch.com/ ; &  https://www.theriverhaven.com/ ;   I've looked at beach houses on Swede's Rentals for Crystal Beach, TX.  I've looked at drive times to Marfa, TX.  Found out that the Balmorhea Pool in West Texas is closed til late summer.  Looked at North Padre Island, South Padre, drive time to Orange Beach, AL.  All for not. Can't go outside. You got atmospheric chemists warning of the air on beaches...https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/04/05/coronavirus-beach-surf-breeze-prather-complicated/  Hotels near beaches like in Corpus Christi are open but do you trust a hotel right now?  Of course not.  Man, just one fucking day on the beach.  My kingdom for a horse.  
    I hear you.  I can only imagine how you're feeling, as from what I know of you, you love to be outdoors and Texas has some beautiful places.  

I'm having a rough week.  I've just been thinking that this would have been my last week at work before I eat pray love my way across England for 2 weeks.  Instead I'll be stuck here in boring, gray, miserable Humboldt County, still coming to work, still dealing with Covid restrictions and the emotional toll from them.  I'm burned out from work, I haven't been sleeping well, and all I want is to get the hell out of here.  I could have been sipping coffee & strolling through St. James Park, admiring the ancient Roman baths, visiting old ancestors' gravesites, driving through small villages and across the Yorkshire Dales, or walking the crowded cobbled streets of York.  But I'll be here behind this same damn desk instead.   Don't get me wrong - I'm grateful to still have a job when so many are losing theirs.  I realize that I'm fortunate and am thankful for that.  But I really want to be somewhere else.  I've been spending a lot of time on Google Street View and daydreaming of the day that I can board the plane and leave everything behind me here for half a month.  I'm trying to take solace in the knowlege that that day will come, eventually.  

Hang in there, friend.  If I can, you can.  :)
    Thanks, Michelle.  I feel 100% of what you're saying.  Google street & satellite map view daydreaming.  Looking at webcams too.  Feeling guilty for having work but not wanting to be at work. Burned out.  Wanting to get away somewhere.  Missed vacation.  Sucks to here about England. That sounds amazing.  Mine was Tokyo.  Every day at work feels like a week.  I miss the NBA.  Wishing I went to a game this season.  Was always like 'nah nah nah. Splurge on good seats in the playoffs'  Miss being able to just go "Hey screw it. Weekend get away. Let's go, crew!"  Cause I'm good at being spontaneous like that.  I can go from 0 to "Squirrel!" in 3 seconds.   /sigh/  And yes...."the same damn desk."  Totally feel that.  Sounds like you and I have the exact same feeling.  Chin up!  We'll get through this.
    MichelleNoelFlukes
  • MichelleMichelle California
    cdrive said:
    Thanks, Michelle.  I feel 100% of what you're saying.  Google street & satellite map view daydreaming.  Looking at webcams too.  Feeling guilty for having work but not wanting to be at work. Burned out.  Wanting to get away somewhere.  Missed vacation.  Sucks to here about England. That sounds amazing.  Mine was Tokyo.  Every day at work feels like a week.  I miss the NBA.  Wishing I went to a game this season.  Was always like 'nah nah nah. Splurge on good seats in the playoffs'  Miss being able to just go "Hey screw it. Weekend get away. Let's go, crew!"  Cause I'm good at being spontaneous like that.  I can go from 0 to "Squirrel!" in 3 seconds.   /sigh/  And yes...."the same damn desk."  Totally feel that.  Sounds like you and I have the exact same feeling.  Chin up!  We'll get through this.
    Yes, exact same.
    I'll raise a glass & cheers you when I get home & pour a drink.
    We'll get through this!
    cdriveNoelFlukes
  • How is everyone holding up? Like this....

cdriveFreddyGiovanniMichelleMarciFlukesweeniegirl
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    cdrive said:

I want to go to a beach soooooooooo bad.  Or a nice pristine river like the Blanco River here in Texas.  I spent some of yesterday going to vrbo and orbitz just fantasizing.  I tracked down 2 old river houses I've done a weekend at with friends years and years ago:  http://www.shaderanch.com/ ; &  https://www.theriverhaven.com/ ;   I've looked at beach houses on Swede's Rentals for Crystal Beach, TX.  I've looked at drive times to Marfa, TX.  Found out that the Balmorhea Pool in West Texas is closed til late summer.  Looked at North Padre Island, South Padre, drive time to Orange Beach, AL.  All for not. Can't go outside. You got atmospheric chemists warning of the air on beaches...https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/04/05/coronavirus-beach-surf-breeze-prather-complicated/ 

Well, to be honest, I’m living my dream life. I’m an essential worker but working from home (funny how they’ve been telling us for years it’s not possible for our work to be done offsite), I can get groceries, veg, meat and wine online, I don’t have to have anyone in the house, I don’t have to see anyone and I don’t have to feel obligated to accept invitations to go anywhere. I cannot relate at all to all the people complaining about being bored and wanting to go out. 

On the downside, people out of work, people dying, found out the other day that being overweight is the second highest risk after smoking for serious complications with Covid-19 and I’m kind of a fat arse, so I have been a bit stressed about all that, and if I’m not careful I could probably easily turn from fun hermit to anxious agoraphobic. :-/ 
    cdriveFreddyMichelleHatorianNoelFlukesShellyweeniegirl
  • cdrive said:
    Not bad here, all things considered. I’m finally getting some artwork done and feeling good about that. I’m working on some business ideas too. I am very much a homebody, so that part hasn’t changed much for me. I will say it’s a very good thing my husband still has a job, because I’ve been unemployed since March 20 and have gotten absolutely nothing yet. I read that 71% of people filing are still waiting for unemployment benefits to start, so I’m not the only one. But other than that, doing OK so far.
    cdriveMichelleHatorianNoel
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm thinking about getting an antibody test. I'm 50% confident I had Coronavirus, last month. I'm also unemployed and bored.
    Hatorianweeniegirl
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    My entire family plus my mom and dad got the flu twice in December and Jan. we want to do the antibody test as well to see if maybe Covid was actually earlier than people suggest. My dad had every symptom of Covid and my wife who has never been sick for more than 48 hours with the flu In the 10 years we have been married was bedridden for 5 days straight. I know it’s unlikely but like you said were bored on lockdown and would like to know. 
    JaimieT
    edited May 2020
    Hatorian said:
    My entire family plus my mom and dad got the flu twice in December and Jan. we want to do the antibody test as well to see if maybe Covid was actually earlier than people suggest. My dad had every symptom of Covid and my wife who has never been sick for more than 48 hours with the flu In the 10 years we have been married was bedridden for 5 days straight. I know it’s unlikely but like you said were bored on lockdown and would like to know. 

Also more evidence came out today that you can't get this thing 2x, not within a short amount of time anyway. (NGL, always thought the burden of proof lied on the people claiming you didn't get immunity.)

Now to say something more controversial... there is a lot of hysteria in favor of locking things down, and that was one of them.
    HatorianDoubleA_Ron
  • Hatorian said:
    I had what I thought was the flu during Christmas and I never get the flu.  after a week most of the symptoms were gone but a cough like I had never had before.  I went to the ER and they had to give me oxygen. The ER was full. They said there was no point to test for the flu and that I probably had bronchitis as well.  maybe it was just the flu with bronchitis but I wouldn't be surprised at all if I have coronavirus antibodies. There is a good chance you and your family had it already. 
    Hatorian
  • I had a URI in March in NYC and tested negative for antibodies in early April. 
    I had a URI in March in NYC and tested negative for antibodies in early April. 

Who did the testing?
  • The Mount Sinai lab looking for antibody plasma donators. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    For all you programmers out there.

Image may contain text
    nstinsonGiovanniFlukesSchlupp
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    I'm thinking about getting an antibody test. I'm 50% confident I had Coronavirus, last month. I'm also unemployed and bored.
    If you're bored enough, feel free to record me an audiobook with - exaggerated accent.  :D
  • Poor Amazon:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-1q-2020-earnings-results-152725949.html?.tsrc=fin-notif

“Under normal circumstances, in this coming Q2, we’d expect to make some $4 billion or more in operating profit,” CEO Jeff Bezos said in a statement. “But these aren’t normal circumstances. Instead, we expect to spend the entirety of that $4 billion, and perhaps a bit more, on COVID-related expenses getting products to customers and keeping employees safe.”
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Bezos personally has gained about 24 billion dollars during this crisis. Don't forget to not buy shit from Amazon, Instacart or Whole Foods today in support of the workers on strike.
  • edited May 2020
    Speaking of Bezos,  WTF is this?
    https://uproxx.com/tv/damon-lindelof-millennium-clock-lady-trieu-jeff-bezos/

Is this real? How about paying your slaves at Amazon a living wage instead of building a stupid giant clock? I'm sure he has all the environmental waivers to disturb a mountain. Meanwhile if I put a stone wall up to close to a brook a EPA SWAT Team will descend upon me like killer bees.

• CapeGabe said:
    ...Meanwhile if I put a stone wall up to close to a brook a EPA SWAT Team will descend upon me like killer bees.

you've been reported

:) 
    CapeGabeNoel
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Today is the first day of partial reopening, and the view out my window is nothing less than pre-COVID business as usual. Apparently I missed the memo that no one should wear masks anymore now that retail and restaurants are back open.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Coworkers are annoyed that they have to “wear masks” to their hair or nail appointments or whatever. Because I’m the only one in the office who regularly uses masks and gloves I still get “jokes” from them like “you know those won’t really help you” or conspiracy theories like I shouldn’t really buy them because Bill Gates or someone is profiting off of this whole thing. Oh also the like 3 people who were working from home are being brought back into the office because apparently we just don’t have enough people sitting right next to each other. At least 60% of the people here are heavy smokers so hopefully no one catches it when they have a night out on the town or A. Everyone else will get it and B. Not too sure how well the smoking crowd will withstand it. 
    Hatorian
  • I'm in Minnesota and our Governor just announced an extension to the stay at home order (until May 18th) but agreed to open up non-essential businesses IF they utilize a curbside pickup or delivery. Things are very much still shut down and I'm thankful for that. I'm lucky to be able to work full time from home and have been since the middle of March. Our deaths and number infected continue to rise everyday because tests are now more plentiful. 
    DeeNoelGiovanni
  • I think there was some doubt here???  CNN probably staged this . . . for buzzfeed.  Hey yall, both sides don't do it, and main-stream media is not as bad as right-wing media.

bizmarkiefaderDoubleA_Ron
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It just astounds me that the US is pushing 70,000 deaths in a matter of weeks and the government has not only barely acknowledged it, but encouraging everyone to pretty much go about their business. Imagine if 70,000 American people died in a war within a few weeks. Or wiped out in a terrorist attack. We would never stop hearing about it. But this - eh. 
    CoryNoelMarciGiovanni
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    It just astounds me that the US is pushing 70,000 deaths in a matter of weeks and the government has not only barely acknowledged it, but encouraging everyone to pretty much go about their business. Imagine if 70,000 American people died in a war within a few weeks. Or wiped out in a terrorist attack. We would never stop hearing about it. But this - eh. 
    And I bet the shooting here two weeks hasn't made news outside of Canada.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Nah we see that kind of shooting here about 10 times a year now. 
    JaimieTFreddy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Cory We got that news - it was all over the Guardian Aus site for a few days. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    @Cory We got that news - it was all over the Guardian Aus site for a few days. 
    Oh wow, it was an hour and a half from here.
  • I'm starting to think there should be a thread named Bezos in the Time of Coronavirus 

https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/202x/2020/04/29/Leaving-Amazon