Coronavirus / COVID-19

1585961636466

Comments

  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited November 2020
    This may all be true - hypocrisy sited and noted - cynicism acknowledged.  But - at least the hypocrites say the right things.  As the writer noted, their audience follows the science-based recommendations. 

    The focus of our attention, because, they neither say the right thing nor do the right thing, should be the deniers, rather than on hypocrites.  The lead denier (in the United States) was in a unique position, his audience would have followed the science if he had said to.  It was quite the opposite, he held super-spreader events, spread disinformation, and promoted and proudly modelled behavior that went 180 degrees counter to the experts.

    Cynicism over low-grade hypocrisy is less important than recognition of absolute failed leadership.  The writer could have made the same hypocrisy/cynicism argument while also pointing out the disinformation and failed leadership from the Republican party.  Her failure to do so is telling.
    GiovanniMarciBenNoel
  • My grandpa passed away this morning from covid complications, alone and confused trying to pull out the various tubes he was hooked up to while my mom watched on an ipad because she can't see him.

    Shout out to our government for not giving a shit and all the people who couldn't be bothered to do do the bare minimum to protect the people around them, especially those who fight to make sure nobody else does either because of "freedom" or whatever. It didn't have to be like this.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @bizmarkiefader I am so sorry for you and your family.  That is just heartbreaking. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    damn @bizmarkiefader that's awful. my condolences go out to you and your family.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @bizmarkiefader I’m so sorry for your loss. I think about these unnecessary deaths all the time and it’s just devastating that they are being allowed to happen. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @bizmarkiefader oh no... I'm so, so sorry for your family's loss.  What's happened this year is unfathomable.  :cry:
  •  Thanks guys. It's been a weird week.
  • @bizmarkiefader

    Condolences on your loss.  Horrible news.
  • @bizmarkiefader

    That really sucks man, my condolences. You’re right, this shouldn’t be the normal for the richest country on earth. 
  • I’m so sorry @bizmarkiefader
    That’s just awful and heartbreaking.
  • I cannot fathom how anyone can be so brainwashed and so far into denial that they're arguing with nurses as they're being intubated, but apparently it's happening. My heart breaks for the health care professionals who have lay their lives on the line every day to take care of people like this.


  • MichelleMichelle California
    So far about 1/4 of our staff has been able to get tested so far.  My test is tomorrow along with 2 other coworkers.  I had been thinking that my risk of exposure was pretty minimal, but this afternoon I noticed that every time I climbed the stairs to my office, my chest really hurt and I was short of breath.  It could be for any other reason, and I have zero other symptoms, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t just a little more anxious now.  *Really* hoping for a negative test result tomorrow.
    NoelMarci
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle Ugh, fingers crossed for you, Michelle. I got sent to work from home yesterday for at least two weeks. As much as I love being home, I really hope the cluster breakout we have is contained quickly - we had so long without any cases outside hotel quarantine and it’s really nerve-wracking knowing it could be anywhere again. :-(
    NoelChinaski
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Michelle said:
    So far about 1/4 of our staff has been able to get tested so far.  My test is tomorrow along with 2 other coworkers.  I had been thinking that my risk of exposure was pretty minimal, but this afternoon I noticed that every time I climbed the stairs to my office, my chest really hurt and I was short of breath.  It could be for any other reason, and I have zero other symptoms, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t just a little more anxious now.  *Really* hoping for a negative test result tomorrow.
    Sending wishes for a negative result!

    I can't believe how fast CA numbers are going up. Newsom is considering a curfew.
    NoelChinaskiMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    sending positive vibes your way @michele. wishing for the best and a negative result. also wishing your co-workers well and speedy recoveries.
    MichelleTeresa from Concord
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    So our city of 1.3 million is going into a hard lockdown for 6 days from midnight - only essential workers allowed out (and must have permit letter from employer), or if you’re doing essential shopping. No cafes, restaurants, takeaway, food delivery, no going out for exercise, no going out without a mask. Only one person can leave a household per day. 

    We only have a cluster of 20-something cases that are from community transmission but apparently it’s a strain that’s moving really quickly so the state government isn’t taking any chances. I’m sure lots of people will complain that it’s an over-reaction, but we saw how quickly things got out of control in Melbourne so I guess they are stamping it down as fast as possible. 
    ChinaskiMichelle
  • Good luck @Michelle.  Keep us posted.  

    @bizmarkiefader Man, I'm sorry for your loss.  It feels weird to say, but I'm thankful my last remaining grandparent passed in June 2019 never having to know Covid.  She had plenty of struggles already.  

    Stay strong everyone, and WEAR YOUR FREAKING MASKS!
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2020
    Here's what I don't get about the curfew, and Aron posted something similar on Twitter:  if the curfew starts at 10pm and ends at say, 6am or 8am or whenever (I dunno when it would end) - how is that supposed to curb transmission?  Most activity happens during the day (work, grocery shopping, banking, misc errands, misc shopping, dining out, etc).  So what is the point of a curfew when the majority of people are doing things in daylight hours?
    Cory
  • Michelle said:
    Here's what I don't get about the curfew, and Aron posted something similar on Twitter:  if the curfew starts at 10pm and ends at say, 6am or 8am or whenever (I dunno when it would end) - how is that supposed to curb transmission?  Most activity happens during the day (work, grocery shopping, banking, misc errands, misc shopping, dining out, etc).  So what is the point of a curfew when the majority of people are doing things in daylight hours?
    I would assume it's to curb gatherings at night, which often involve drinking and people being less likely to show good judgment. 
    DeeChinaskiMichelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    @Michelle - Good luck with your test.


    @bizmarkiefader - Sorry for your loss.  My great uncle passed yesterday (not Covid related).  He was 95, my grandmother's last living sibling (she died nearly 24 years ago, and would have been 92 a week ago).

    bizmarkiefaderMichelle
  • I think it also just takes a lot of decisions or arguments off the table in terms of what is/isn't open and what reasons people have for being outside. If the idea is there isn't really any sufficient reason to be outside after dark, then just say nobody is allowed after dark rather than trying to figure out what all of those activities are and dealing with them on a case by case basis
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle I don’t know about you guys, but a lot of our spread has been from pubs. It’s easier to do social distancing in supermarkets and offices, I guess, but in pubs people tend to cluster together, and as @asmallcat said, once alcohol is involved people get slack. But also I think they just don’t want people going out unless they absolutely have to, and people don’t really need to go out at night unless they’re essential workers or have some kind of medical emergency or something. 
    ChinaskiMichelleNoel
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2020
    That all makes sense I suppose - thanks guys. :)
    And thanks everyone for the good luck wishes for today.  I feel like I've been in more situations than I've wanted to recently where I've needed good luck.  I'm ready for some boring non-eventful times!  lol
    DeebizmarkiefaderChinaskiNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited November 2020
    Walked into my office super early this morning to pick up a package, there’s one other chick waiting, no mask. Team leader turns up, “Where’s your mask? They’re mandatory.” Instantly launches into a saga about how she can’t possibly wear one because she’s SPECIAL AND UNIQUE and so on. This is a chick who cries when the computer doesn’t do what she wants it to and throws a teary tantrum if there’s no milk left in the tea room fridge, so of course asking her to wear a mask was going to be a massive drama. So glad I don’t have to work in the office at the moment, and I feel sorry for all those bosses who are going to have to deal with that one snowflake who thinks they’re the exception to the mandatory mask rule. 
    MichelleBen
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Also, these ducks live in the city and they’re waiting around because the owners of the cafe they’re in front of put water and food out for them, but the cafe is closed for at least 6 days, so no one is coming to feed them. :-( 


  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    Walked into my office super early this morning to pick up a package, there’s one other chick waiting, no mask. Team leader turns up, “Where’s your mask? They’re mandatory.” Instantly launches into a saga about how she can’t possibly wear one because she’s SPECIAL AND UNIQUE and so on. This is a chick who cries when the computer doesn’t do what she wants it to and throws a teary tantrum if there’s no milk left in the tea room fridge, so of course asking her to wear a mask was going to be a massive drama. So glad I don’t have to work in the office at the moment, and I feel sorry for all those bosses who are going to have to deal with that one snowflake who thinks they’re the exception to the mandatory mask rule. 
    She sounds so delicate.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    She’s just your garden variety nutjob. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Dee said:
    Walked into my office super early this morning to pick up a package, there’s one other chick waiting, no mask. Team leader turns up, “Where’s your mask? They’re mandatory.” Instantly launches into a saga about how she can’t possibly wear one because she’s SPECIAL AND UNIQUE and so on. This is a chick who cries when the computer doesn’t do what she wants it to and throws a teary tantrum if there’s no milk left in the tea room fridge, so of course asking her to wear a mask was going to be a massive drama. So glad I don’t have to work in the office at the moment, and I feel sorry for all those bosses who are going to have to deal with that one snowflake who thinks they’re the exception to the mandatory mask rule. 

    Dee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Dee said:
    Also, these ducks live in the city and they’re waiting around because the owners of the cafe they’re in front of put water and food out for them, but the cafe is closed for at least 6 days, so no one is coming to feed them. :-( 


    That is so sad!  :cry:
    Dee
Sign In or Register to comment.