Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    I'm putting in an advanced order.
    MichellecdriveFlukesJoshuaHeterMurderbearElisaNoelAww_PHuuCk
  • Let’s just be Glad dysentery isn’t an issue in the 2020s. Cuz we would be fucked if it was
    MichaelG
  • Silicon Valley Trail sounds like great sequel to Stardew Valley. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Stocks are really plummeting now, due to COVID19 fears and Saudi Arabia lowering oil prices. This is shaping up to be an interesting year.
    ken haleElisa
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    edited March 2020
    I drive Uber/Lyft in and around Atlanta.  Last night I had a drunk passenger throw up from inside the vehicle.  We were stopped and she opened the door and vomited outside, however she got a good bit of splatter on the door panel, most of it plastic.  After dropping her off, I ran into a Kroger hoping to buy some Clorox wipes, because I ran out of the bottle in my trunk.  Literally none in the store.  No lysol or hand sanitizer either.  I did manage to find some gloves and anti-bacterial cleaner thankfully, and was back on the road in 30 minutes.  

As for Covid-19?  I am regularly in close proximity of absolute strangers,, often coming to/from hospitals/airports.  I don't think it's possible for me to drive a vehicle and not touch my face.  I haven't had any passengers yet that I know came from overseas or Washington state.  I have gotten several passengers from lessor affected areas, not to mention there are 5 confirmed cases in the area I drive.  It might be smart to avoid taking rideshare/taxi for a while if you can help it, and certainly wash your hands after riding in one.  If the weather is nice, maybe ask to roll the windows down.
    My friend and I went out last weekend, and she threw up inside of the Lyft; no attempt or possibility to open the door, even if she could have.  She gave me 1 second advance notice, and I was able to give the driver .5 seconds advance notice.  

We arrived at my house to drop us off, and I apologized profusely.  I made him promise to wait outside while I deposited her inside, and I found my household Clorox wipes to give to him.  I, also drunk, took his *dry* paper towels and exchanged them for the wet wipes.  I insisted that if he were to take one or the other, that it was to his benefit that he take those Clorox wipes instead.  I woke up with a strangely patterned roll of paper towels in my house.  I guess it would have been to his benefit that he keep both.

I felt really guilty about that...until I read your story.  So, thanks!
    FlukesJaimieTcdriveJoshTheBlack
    Cecily said:
    I drive Uber/Lyft in and around Atlanta.  Last night I had a drunk passenger throw up from inside the vehicle.  We were stopped and she opened the door and vomited outside, however she got a good bit of splatter on the door panel, most of it plastic.  After dropping her off, I ran into a Kroger hoping to buy some Clorox wipes, because I ran out of the bottle in my trunk.  Literally none in the store.  No lysol or hand sanitizer either.  I did manage to find some gloves and anti-bacterial cleaner thankfully, and was back on the road in 30 minutes.  

As for Covid-19?  I am regularly in close proximity of absolute strangers,, often coming to/from hospitals/airports.  I don't think it's possible for me to drive a vehicle and not touch my face.  I haven't had any passengers yet that I know came from overseas or Washington state.  I have gotten several passengers from lessor affected areas, not to mention there are 5 confirmed cases in the area I drive.  It might be smart to avoid taking rideshare/taxi for a while if you can help it, and certainly wash your hands after riding in one.  If the weather is nice, maybe ask to roll the windows down.
    My friend and I went out last weekend, and she threw up inside of the Lyft; no attempt or possibility to open the door, even if she could have.  She gave me 1 second advance notice, and I was able to give the driver .5 seconds advance notice.  

We arrived at my house to drop us off, and I apologized profusely.  I made him promise to wait outside while I deposited her inside, and I found my household Clorox wipes to give to him.  I, also drunk, took his *dry* paper towels and exchanged them for the wet wipes.  I insisted that if he were to take one or the other, that it was to his benefit that he take those Clorox wipes instead.  I woke up with a strangely patterned roll of paper towels in my house.  I guess it would have been to his benefit that he keep both.

I felt really guilty about that...until I read your story.  So, thanks!

At least your mom didn't shit on a scarf and then you stood idly by while she returned it (Cody, Harmontown). 

I think my drunk reasoning for trading Clorox wipes for a paper towel roll would be so the guy didn't feel bad later or wasn't indebted to you. It's a clean cut with him.
    Cecily
  • JaimieT said:
    Stocks are really plummeting now, due to COVID19 fears and Saudi Arabia lowering oil prices. This is shaping up to be an interesting year.

Don't worry the fundamentals of the economy are strong! If they say it it must be true, right??
  • Went to BJs and did my part contributing to the panic by buying toilet paper. 
    No hand sanitizer in the store. 
    I guess I missed out on the Purell gold rush.
  • After reading the last 5 posts, I'm starting to think maybe the human race deserves a pandemic lol. 
    MurderbearJoshTheBlack
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited March 2020
    So, I'm currently waiting on COVID-19 test results to confirm I have a regular run-of-the-mill cold. I hesitate to post this because I feel weirdly embarrassed.

I've had a mild cough since about February 20th. A day or two ahead of this, I definitely felt some chest congestion and knew a cold was coming. On the 21st, I left on a work trip and spent the rest of the month in India. The cough persisted while I was on the trip - getting a little more prominent as I prepared to return home March 1st. At this point there was only additional health screening for people returning to Canada from China, Italy, Iran, and cruise ships.

Cut to March 8th - I've been home for a week and the cough is getting worse. This is the point where i would normally make an appointment with a doctor as it's become quite uncomfortable and interfering with my sleep. The thing is, our provincial health authority is advising people not to go to the doctor without being referred there unless they're acutely ill - which I am not. We have a service called HealthLink that you can call to get advice and direction from an RN - so I call HealthLink.

We talk over my symptoms and the nurse tells me that two to three weeks is considered normal for a simple cough to persist, so I probably don't need to make a doctor's appointment unless it's still bothering me next week. That being said, I'm now someone who's been out of the country (they no longer care where you were) and has reported at least one COVID-19 symptom, so I need to be tested. It doesn't matter that I had the cough before I traveled because it's possible that I picked up a secondary infection - especially since it appears to be getting worse. So, I had to bring myself down to an assessment center, mask up, and get a q-tip shoved waaaaaay up my nose. Now I'm "self-isolating" and waiting for the results. 

I'm 99.9% certain I have a simple respiratory infection that may or may not need treatment to get cleared up, but I can't shake feeling vaguely guilty about the whole thing. My rationale for waiting was that I didn't want to add to the load on the health care system at a critical time, but now I'm feeling like I should have acted sooner - possibly only because the whole thing would have been resolved by now. 

TLDR: Felt sick, might delete later.
    MichaelGDeecdriveJaimieTDrCynPizMichelle
  • Flukes said:
    So, I'm currently waiting on COVID-19 test results to confirm I have a regular run-of-the-mill cold. I hesitate to post this because I feel weirdly embarrassed.

I've had a mild cough since about February 20th. A day or two ahead of this, I definitely felt some chest congestion and knew a cold was coming. On the 21st, I left on a work trip and spent the rest of the month in India. The cough persisted while I was on the trip - getting a little more prominent as I prepared to return home March 1st. At this point there was only additional health screening for people returning to Canada from China, Italy, Iran, and cruise ships.

Cut to March 8th - I've been home for a week and the cough is getting worse. This is the point where i would normally make an appointment with a doctor as it's become quite uncomfortable and interfering with my sleep. The thing is, our provincial health authority is advising people not to go to the doctor without being referred there unless they're acutely ill - which I am not. We have a service called HealthLink that you can call to get advice and direction from an RN - so I call HealthLink.

We talk over my symptoms and the nurse tells me that two to three weeks is considered normal for a simple cough to persist, so I probably don't need to make a doctor's appointment unless it's still bothering me next week. That being said, I'm now someone who's been out of the country (they no longer care where you were) and has reported at least one COVID-19 symptom, so I need to be tested. It doesn't matter that I had the cough before I traveled because it's possible that I picked up a secondary infection - especially since it appears to be getting worse. So, I had to bring myself down to an assessment center, mask up, and get a q-tip shoved waaaaaay up my nose. Now I'm "self-isolating" and waiting for the results. 

I'm 99.9% certain I have a simple respiratory infection that may or may not need treatment to get cleared up, but I can't shake feeling vaguely guilty about the whole thing. My rationale for waiting was that I didn't want to add to the load on the health care system at a critical time, but now I'm feeling like I should have acted sooner - possibly only because the whole thing would have been resolved by now. 

TLDR: Felt sick, might delete later.
    I don't think you should feel embarrassed - as far as I can tell you've followed responsible protocol. People rushing to get tested bc they feel sick and flooding the ER or hospitals is what's causing a lot of issues, from what I understand. 

Also, to your credit, this stuff has been very fluid and the communication from national and health authorities hasn't been super helpful or instructive when it comes to who should be tested.  

To an extent, you have to trust your doctor and health care system to make that call for you. Yes, we should be proactive about our own health and ask questions, but most of us are not medical professionals and shouldn't be demanding our own tests, especially if your symptoms are mild/moderate.  It's unnerving to be sick right now, for sure. Not just bc of worrying about your own health, but worried about passing it to others in the previous days/weeks, since the incubation period is unclear right now (2-14 days). 

Wash your damn hands, don't touch your face, gets lots of sleep, stay hydrated, exercise, and eat good food. Like we always should do! 
    FlukesElisa
  • I don't think you did anything wrong. You shouldn't feel guilty. You acted rationally based on the information you had. I hope you feel better soon. 
    Flukes
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Update: I just got a call from AHS - I do not have COVID-19. It's just a boring old respiratory infection.
    calebthrowerDeeawookieeJaimieTMichaelGGiovanniMrXhisdudeness915ChinaskiCecilyand 8 others.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Flukes said:
    Update: I just got a call from AHS - I do not have COVID-19. It's just a boring old respiratory infection.
    Fuck yeah.  Good to hear.  
    Flukes
    @Flukes - I scrolled down here to say this before I saw you post your result. Even if you had COVID, no need to feel bad about it. There's no right way to do this. Being sick is bad enough! Feel better.
    Flukes
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Flukes said:
    Whew!

MAKE CANADA HEALTHY AGAIN!
    ChinaskiFlukesDrCynPizMichelleMurderbearElisaNoel
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    asmallcat said:
    After reading the last 5 posts, I'm starting to think maybe the human race deserves a pandemic lol. 
    I'm with Cattle Decapitation. 
    DoubleA_RonMichelle
  • asmallcat said:
    After reading the last 5 posts, I'm starting to think maybe the human race deserves a pandemic lol. 
    Good dudes.  Played with them a few times way back when.

(sorry, random)
    Murderbear
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2020
    Flukes said:
    I'm so relieved to read this!  It seems weird to say that I'm glad you have a respiratory infection, but I'm very glad it's nothing worse.  I hope you're feeling better soon.  :)

But also, Ryan Murphy called you?????? 

(I'll see myself out.)
    Flukes
    edited March 2020
    asmallcat said:
    Good dudes.  Played with them a few times way back when.

(sorry, random)
    Wow for real? That's awesome! When I first started listening to them they were very anti-meat, animal testing, etc. and now they've moved more into the "humanity is the fucking problem with this planet" realm and I gotta say, not wrong.
    DoubleA_RonFlukes
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I CANNOT STOP TOUCHING MY BLOODY FACE
    MurderbearCapeGabeElisaJaimieT
  • Dee said:
    At this point, after paying attention to how much I touch my face, I am complete surprise that I'm not walking around with my fist in my mouth all day long.

DeeMurderbear
  • MichelleMichelle California
    It's been officially declared as a pandemic now.
    https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1237774421307228160
    JaimieT
  • You're going to see a complete shut down of Seattle area counties in the next week or so, that's my prediction at least. Gov Jay Inslee signaling to schools today that they will be shut down. I think theyre just doing it in phases so people don't freak out more than they already are. 
    Yeah, universities closing or going to online only for the next month or so is a weird timing issue. I hadn't considered until someone I know who works at University of Cincinnati said with spring break coming up, you can't just send 30,000 kids out into the world and then have them all come back at the same time while this stuff is spreading.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Houston Livestock and Rodeo was cancelled today!  The mayor just declared emergency disaster for the county.  Tour de Houston, a big cycling event, is cancelled.

Also Prince Bone Saw and Daddy Putin decided to take this recent huge drop in oil demand to start a pissing match and so now we have the oil price war with oil barrel prices plummeting to $33 per barrel. (Super bad for H-Town)  I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t make it through this one. And DOW is down 1400. 

I went to Guitar Center & panic-bought a guitar pedal during lunch.  Cause I’m responsible.  

FreddyJaimieTTeresa from Concord
  • Funny to think Harvard and University of Phoenix are now the same.

MurderbearFreddy
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    Oh no, that's terrible Dee.  Why is your face bloody?
    ChinaskiDeeDoubleA_RonTeresa from Concord
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Cory ‘Cause I keep touchin it
    Chinaski