Bald Move Guitar & Gear Nerds!

Comments

• cdrive said:
    ^niiiiiice 

love the sea foam and inlays 
    They're calling it surf green, but one thing that I've found with Squiers is that sometimes their colours don't match up with some of the Fender colours.  The 'sonic blue' CV Jassmaster is basically white with the faintest hint of blue.
    cdrive
  • The topic of colour came up in an offset FB group that I'm a part of...

The first 4 guitars in that rack were sold as 'sonic blue' - all Fenders.

Those are both Sonic Blue Fenders.

That's a Sonic Blue Squier

The white looking one on the right is a Sonic Blue Squier, the one in the middle is a MIJ Sonic Blue Fender.

cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Fender colors can get tricky. I got a 5 yr old can of Vintage Cream and can of the clear coat still from screwing up the color match! 

These are fun descriptions to read for each color. Little bit of history:  https://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/fencuscol.html
  • edited September 2020
    I am trying to upload a pic of my board but can't seem to figure it out, halp?

If you're pulling from your phone's images you might have to select image size and choose large instead of actual size.  Actual size is usually too big.  
    Byrdie
    edited September 2020
    #NPD

This is such a weird cool pedal. A knob tweaker’s dream. Masjidil Echoooooooooooo. 

• edited September 2020
    Ok thanks for the help with the picture I think its an issue with my work computer and I got caught up with family stuff last night but....

Out of hte blue a local guy put his JM JM on craigslist and is looking to swap for a "comparable strat" I have a mexi-strat with a Gilmore mod switch on it that I am considering swapping. What do you all think?

For context my main players lately have been that strat and my 335, though I have my first guitar a Hondo strat copy I could get up and running again with a lot of elbow grease

Byrdie said:
    Ok thanks for the help with the picture I think its an issue with my work computer and I got caught up with family stuff last night but....

Out of hte blue a local guy put his JM JM on craigslist and is looking to swap for a "comparable strat" I have a mexi-strat with a Gilmore mod switch on it that I am considering swapping. What do you all think?

For context my main players lately have been that strat and my 335, though I have my first guitar a Hondo strat copy I could get up and running again with a lot of elbow grease

I'd think your naftacaster with the mod would be worth like $600?  He's selling $20 less than new JMJM price, but I dunno if I could part with the strat if I were you.
    CretanBull
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited September 2020
    Byrdie said:

I agree with @cdrive ;  I see JM JM's come up for sale here for $450-500 CND all the time, which means you should be able to find one for $355-375 US no problem.  If you think a painted headstock, replacement trem and neckplate add over a $100 in value maybe his asking price makes sense, but your strat is still worth much more.  If I were you, I'd want him to throw in $100-$150 (depending on the condition of your guitar, what things sell for in your local market etc).

JM JM's aren't rare, if this deal isn't right for you another one will come along soon enough.
  • Appreciate the input, we never got too far down the road because he bailed because he's looking for a 12" radius neck. I agree that his stated asking price seems like its inflated by at least 80 bucks for negotiation purposes. I was not gonna go 1:1 necessarily, but just saw the chance to not cough up extra dough and not inflate the herd any further. But yea I could get one on reverb shipped for 400 without looking for more than a second. FWIW 400 seems to be the average ask around here, I just haven't gotten into the nitty gritty negotiation phase on one yet.
  • Y'all really think I could sell a  mexican strat for 5-600?
  • Byrdie said:
    Y'all really think I could sell a  mexican strat for 5-600?
    It's hard to know what local markets are like, but here (Toronto) used MIM strats regularly sell (and I mean actually sell, not people's asking prices) for $650 CND, so that would be just under $500 ($488) US - whatever value a buyer puts on the Gilmour mod will push your value over $500 for sure.

Something to consider, and this is might be a regional thing that doesn't affect you (it doesn't affect me where I am) I've read lots of reports about places like Guitar Center and Sweetwater running really low on stock, especially on mid-range/affordable guitars like Fender MIMs. In some places, that's causing the used market to go a bit wonky - demand is really high right now.
    Byrdie said:
    Oh totes mcgoats.  I figure $500 for the mexi strat easy.  Then I'd say a hundy for the mod, right?  Shit dude, live dangerously and go get $650 for it.  @CretanBull made a great point - this pandemic has probably made a real seller's market.  If instruments are doing the same thing that kayaks and bikes are doing right now, then yeah I'd imagine you'd get a taker real quick on Reverb.  
    CretanBull
  • cdrive said:
    Byrdie said:
    Oh totes mcgoats.  I figure $500 for the mexi strat easy.  Then I'd say a hundy for the mod, right?  Shit dude, live dangerously and go get $650 for it.  @CretanBull made a great point - this pandemic has probably made a real seller's market.  If instruments are doing the same thing that kayaks and bikes are doing right now, then yeah I'd imagine you'd get a taker real quick on Reverb.  
    Not gear related, but related to your comment...I have a friend in LA who spent - not kidding - 3 months looking for a bike to buy.  He ended up settling for something totally different than what he wanted because it was literally the only thing available.
    cdrive

• My smaller board set-up.  The space off to the right is for a mini tuner that I'm going to get - either the Polytune mini 3 or the new Korg Mini - any opinions on either?  I'm going to experiment with using a Tumnus in place of the Hot Cake and see which one boosts the Timmy better.
    cdrive
    edited September 2020
    I pulled my new jaguar out of quarantine yesterday and gave it a good washdown.  When I got it, I knew that it had a minor issue but it's proving to be a bit of a pain to fix.  The tone dial on the rhythm circuit rubs against the body making it stiff to turn.  The guy that I bought it from said it was like that from the day the bough it, but he didn't care about it because he never used the rhythm circuit....I wanted to fix it though.  I tried bending the bracket a bit but it didn't work, if I bend the bracket any more it will run against the top plate instead of the body.  So I decided that I'd file/sand the section of the body that the dial is rubbing against.

It's taken forever to sand back just that section that's about 4 centimeters long and I've only recessed it about 1-2 millimeters and the dial is still rubbing (but less so, the dial turns a little more easily but there's still resistance from rubbing)

Edit:  the chip around the screw hole wasn't from my sanding or filing, it was like that when I got it. 
    #NPD! Saw a mint Soul Food for super cheap ($70 after shipping) on Reverb. This thing is so great. Just like the progutarshop demo guy I did some Sam & Dave Soul Man natch and Thin Lizzy Jailbreak, then a GBV song I don’t know the name of. What a banger of a pedal man.  I had to atone for my sins after getting that $18 Chinese Klon clone.  

GredalBeeCretanBull
  • edited October 2020
    @cdrive Make sure to use a power supply.  The Soul Food (along with many other EHX pedals) can kill your board with a low battery.  Sometimes they'll produce a high-pitched tone or it'll cut off signal completely.  It's pretty reliable with a power supply though.
    GredalBee said:
    @cdrive Make sure to use a power supply.  The Soul Food (along with many other EHX pedals) can kill your board with a low battery.  Sometimes they'll produce a high-pitched tone or it'll cut off signal completely.  It's pretty reliable with a power supply though.
    Thanks, duly noted. Kinda important to know cause yeah I put a battery in it. I have to say though I was tickled by how this thing came with its own power adapter. I can’t think of any 9v pedal that did that. 
    edited October 2020
    @cdrive ; I love the sound of a Soul Food.  The only reason why I swapped mine out for a Tumnus is because the Tumnus has a 3 band EQ and Vox amps really benefit from dialing highs and lows.

cdrive
    edited October 2020
    Before 2020 & Covid, the prior decade I bought a total of 3 pedals.  Then a pal invited me to a fuzz group and a shoegaze pedal group. And 2 old mates from two previous bands were also going thru a ‘Sound Rebirth’. And I’ve had more time to get re-energized and play more. It’s been quite the year: 

CretanBullGredalBeeDashEngine
    edited October 2020
    Ever since I got my Les Paul I've wanted to hear it through a Marshall.  Very quickly, this came together this morning and now I'm a proud owner of a Marshall!  I had a window of 1 hour to get it and I lived 45 minutes away...I cut it close, but snagged it!

cdrive
  • I'm back y'all! I was locked out for a couple few weeks but finally made it back in!
    cdriveCretanBull
  • Byrdie said:
    I'm back y'all! I was locked out for a couple few weeks but finally made it back in!

• Hello all. Here is my happy place. I mainly play Bass.

cdriveCretanBull
    Nice! Johnny C! Welcome! You and @CretanBull need to talk about that Spark. 
    CretanBull
  • Hello all. Here is my happy place. I mainly play Bass.

How do you like that St. Vincent?  It's been on my list of for a long time (the Sterling version) but I can never find one in stock anywhere.  Usually I'm pretty comfortable ordering online, but that's such a unique guitar that I want to play and hold it first.
  • cdrive said:
    Nice! Johnny C! Welcome! You and @CretanBull need to talk about that Spark. 
    I keep meaning to write my review!  I think I mentioned this earlier, but I wrote a long review and it got lost by a message board error.

I like it a lot.  I mainly use it as a practice amp and still haven't taken full advantage of all of the features and options that it offers - although I've messed around with them quite a bit.  I was a really big fan of the Yamaha THR10...I had one, sold it, and instantly regretted it.  I like the Spark a lot more.  It has a depth of sound (more low end) and I think it takes pedals better than a THR10 (and that's saying something because I thought the THR10 was great for pedals).  My tube amps are in a soundproof room (I live in a condo) but I can play through my spark while I'm in my living room...and use it as a Bluetooth speaker when I'm not playing guitar through it.

The app that controls the different settings, virtual pedals etc is really easy to use and it has a million options.  It comes with a bunch pre-loaded and you and download tons of other ones.  It has so many features that I couldn't possibly go through all of them.  I haven't use the 'jam-along' feature, I've been told that it works well but can be buggy at times.

If you want a practice/bedroom amp this is definitely the one to get.  If you've already got a THR10 or a Katana I wouldn't sell either just to buy a Spark though - unless you really want/need some of the unique features.

This is probably a very subjective point to raise, but IMO using a phone screen is way too small to control the app.  It's more than possible to use a phone, but I found it annoying (too small, too cramped, too difficult to read etc).  I've been using an iPad mini and that's a lot better, but once Black Friday rolls around I'll be in the market for a full-sized iPad.

cdrive
  • I got locked out trying to post a picture of my board but now my board has changed a lot  in a couple weeks so I'll have to snap a new pic

I bought a JM JM in the meantime!

(I still can't figure out why it won't let me upload photos actually, I only get the URL option)
    cdriveCretanBull
    Byrdie said:
    I got locked out trying to post a picture of my board but now my board has changed a lot  in a couple weeks so I'll have to snap a new pic

I bought a JM JM in the meantime!

(I still can't figure out why it won't let me upload photos actually, I only get the URL option)
    Welcome, JMJM brother, to the JMJM fam. That’s 3 of us here now. We can form a power trio. There was a local H-Town band once that had all basses only, 3 basses, and they called themselves Basses Loaded. Anyways, congrats! 

So another way is I go to https://imgbb.com/   and upload a photo, get the html embed code link, cut the actual http to .jpg from the html code on a notepad file  and upload it in the url option. A little tedious but quick. 
    ByrdieCretanBull