Bald Move Guitar & Gear Nerds!

Comments

• Thanks @cdrive I will definitely use that. But probably will wait until after me and Cretanbull have our Fantasy Football Deathmatch (sorry to cross the streams). As a teaser though, while my JMJM came with the gold pickguard it also came with a super light mint green pickguard on it.  Stay tuned 
  • I’ve been looking at a JMJM a lot lately
    cdrive
  • Forums shorted my comment...? Maybe i shouldn’t have tried to use an emoji.

Anyways I hope to find a JM JM used for cheap. And that new Pro II JM is far out of reach unfortunately 
  • I’ve been looking at a JMJM a lot lately
    Come join our cult! :)
    cdrive
  • Yessssss dooooo iiiiiiiit
    cdrive
  • Any of my fellow BaldMove Guitar & Gear Nerds dabble in home music production? Back when I was in college and first bought a Mac, I managed to shit out a few terrible electronic/jam-band-ish tunes using GarageBand. This year due to the pandemic, I did some research and ended up purchasing Ableton Live Suite and have started to very seriously brainstorm, write, and record song ideas and I gotta say it is very rewarding. I am currently recording music in the style of Live-tronica Jam bands like Particle, Lotus, and maybe even Big Gigantic for those aware...basically Downtempo funky soulful electronica with lots of mildly tube driven guitars over hip hop beats with funk/jazz/soul texturing. If anyone else also dabbles with this, or if you would like to...hit me up. I would love to collaborate with new people.
  • @CretanBull The St. Vincent is great. I have the Sterling version. The build quality is really high. Even the padded case it came with as very high quality. I'm sure the MM version is better, but I can't find any faults on this. The neck is straight, the frets are good. The mini-humbuckers give a good range of sounds. I like that the whammy bar can be pushed on / pulled out quickly as needed.

It IS a weird shape though. When you play do you ever tilt the guitar into your body more so that you can see your fingers on the fretboard? I do. And with this body shape you can practically fold yourself right over the guitar. It is easily the most comfortable guitar I have played. The only reason I bought the Les Paul Modern was because I like the coil split combined with phase reversal that it can do.

@cdrive and @CretanBull The review of the Spark above is perfect. I agree with every bit of it. Only things I'd add;
    • A lot of the added features are guitar only. No bass tabs/chords/etc.
    • It is not that well grounded, so you can get some hum.
    • The little speakers are crap for Bass. I may rewire it to a larger speaker.
    • Pair it once with your phone as a bluetooth speaker and it'll try to connect all the time.
    • You can't connect over bluetooth to it whilst it is connected via usb. 
    CretanBull
  • Any of my fellow BaldMove Guitar & Gear Nerds dabble in home music production? Back when I was in college and first bought a Mac, I managed to shit out a few terrible electronic/jam-band-ish tunes using GarageBand. This year due to the pandemic, I did some research and ended up purchasing Ableton Live Suite and have started to very seriously brainstorm, write, and record song ideas and I gotta say it is very rewarding. I am currently recording music in the style of Live-tronica Jam bands like Particle, Lotus, and maybe even Big Gigantic for those aware...basically Downtempo funky soulful electronica with lots of mildly tube driven guitars over hip hop beats with funk/jazz/soul texturing. If anyone else also dabbles with this, or if you would like to...hit me up. I would love to collaborate with new people.
    I'm up for that. Just bought a Push2 and I'm learning how to use it. I have never heard of those bands but I'll check them out. 
    I'm up for that. Just bought a Push2 and I'm learning how to use it. I have never heard of those bands but I'll check them out. 
    Kick ass man! Do you use Splice? If so, we could easily collaborate using their collab tools for sharing Live Project files, etc. My username on splice is "chraos" so lemme know if you use it and I'll create a new community project file.
  • Cool. Just signed up. Trying to work out how to use it. My username is Midfielder.
  • I think these are new, if not I've never seen them before.  I watched a video that compared their green 'Drive' pedal to a TS mini pedal and it sounded good (different, but good).

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Overdrive-Guitar-Effect-Pedal/dp/B07ZVZFDBZ
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 2020
    I think these are new, if not I've never seen them before.  I watched a video that compared their green 'Drive' pedal to a TS mini pedal and it sounded good (different, but good).

Interesting.....AmazonBasics guitar pedals.  So just like everything, Amazon will link up with a Chinese manufacturer and private label their stuff.  Looks like Amazon wanted to get in on that Ali Express cheap Chinese knock off pedal market.  I did some sleuthing and someone said they're made by NUX (in China of course).  https://www.nuxefx.com/mini-core.html ; Coming in at half the price of NUX mini pedals.
  • cdrive said:
    I think these are new, if not I've never seen them before.  I watched a video that compared their green 'Drive' pedal to a TS mini pedal and it sounded good (different, but good).

Interesting.....AmazonBasics guitar pedals.  So just like everything, Amazon will link up with a Chinese manufacturer and private label their stuff.  Looks like Amazon wanted to get in on that Ali Express cheap Chinese knock off pedal market.  I did some sleuthing and someone said they're made by NUX (in China of course).  https://www.nuxefx.com/mini-core.html ; Coming in at half the price of NUX mini pedals.
    In the review of their tube screamer that I saw the guy cracked open the enclosure and the PCB board had NUX stamped right on it.  Among the budget brands, NUX are pretty well regarded. 
    JohnnyCarolina
  • New addition to the family  :)   I've wanted something with p90's in it for a while now and this came along super cheap ($500 Canadian, they sell for $900 new and this one is mint other than some scuffing on the pickguard)

cdriveJohnnyCarolina
  • Anybody mess around with Aion FX? I like their sleek design and they have an impressive list of pedals already.
  • GredalBee said:
    Anybody mess around with Aion FX? I like their sleek design and they have an impressive list of pedals already.
    I haven't...a friend of mine likes to make his own pedals from kits, I'll ask him if he's tried them out yet.
  • I've had the Revstar for a little over a week now and I have to say that I really love it.  It's quickly becoming my go-to guitar when I just want to fiddle around or practice.  I'm really impressed with the build quality for a (relatively) inexpensive guitar.  I think if this exact guitar was made by a bigger brand than Yamaha, something like Fender for example, it would probably sell for $1200-$1500 (Canadian) - it sells for $900 here.
    cdrive
    edited November 2020
    *cracking my knuckles for some guitar nerd back n forth* 

Some rambling topics, but I was recently inspired...deeply inspired by the latest from Neil Young, a previously unreleased version of Powderfinger that is just right in the vein of the sad country bastard stuff I'd play often in an old band and it made me super super nostalgic.  So I busted out the gear and played along for a good while last Saturday night.  It was fun to knock the rust off, keep your choices choice, keep your chops sharp and your licks tastey kind of a thing.  I like to be able to slide into any old song and fake like I know it, like I've been rehearsing it already with the band for a few practices. So that was really nice.

That little 'sesh' kept going with another in that vein personally with Wilco's Impossible Germany, which literally sounds like something we could have recorded. (I got in deep with a bunch of Wilco-heads). So that was super nostalgic and also it's just fun to go all out in a Nels Cliney way, all jazzy, or maybe all Nels Cliney is the only way I can describe it. But man, not naming names or pressing charges but there is a song we did where a guy (not me) heavily aped some of those Impossible Germany licks, but I hadn't heard Impossible Germany at the time of that album haha. All good. 

So my board has a dumb amount of fuzz pedals on it right now and little to no overdrive, so I was using the Tube Screamer clone on the front of the chain and on the back end I was going hard on the output of the wiggler to drive these 2 on-pedal 12Ax7 tubes.  Sounded good, made it work, but I need to cull the fuzz down on that pedal board and slide that Soul Food in something's place.  

Changing Strings.

How often does everyone change strings?  I've kinda always been a "leave them on until the end of time" type of guy.  But 2 weeks ago I gave my strat some love, cleaned her up real nice, and put new strings on.  Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10s are my go-to.  But I have never experienced strings not holding tune from being too old.  Brand new strings to me take a while to tamp down their harsh brightness.  But the strings on the strat were old af and it felt time.  Now I'm eyeing my Epiphone Parlor el-00 (You in danger, gurl!)  Those strings are really old too.  But it's been a minute since I've restrung an acoustic.  Again I can have strings on for like 5+ years, especially acoustic.  Any good acoustic strings anyone like to use they could recommend?  I can't remember what strings I had on them last. Maybe Martin. 
  • edited November 2020
    10-C580-A1-E37-B-4166-B768-7-B02095-B891-A
    Finally! Here's my current board

Chain is:
    Fuzz Factory> Crybaby>Comp>Pitchshift>Trem/Rotary Sim>TS9 (Analogman silver)>Ryra (Klon)>KOT clone>Rat Clone>Volume>Buffer (underboard)>EQ>Afterneath>Reverb>Delay>SLO>Timmy Clone>Boomerang

Tuner is out of tuner port on Volume

I built the board from some raw scrap wood.

cdrive
  • edited November 2020
    2-EB6-BBF7-1-EAD-4-FA5-9-B6-C-6-E79-ECB5919-F

The current fleet
    cdrive
  • edited November 2020
    4-B33-A9-BB-8539-40-DA-821-B-91-A267-C63-FCD
    upload image
    And finally my Martin, Gold Tone Reso, and my great grandfather's old Hammond chord organ (the sheet music is actually bluegrass tunes arranged for Mandolin signed by David Grisman)
    cdrive
    What a toy room! I’m interested to know what kind of music you like to play @Byrdie. That’s a well-rounded fleet.

If anyone wants to know what my old giggin’ pedalboard looked like interpreted in Groom’s cake form, then here you go:

Byrdie
  • edited November 2020
    that cake is fuggin awesome man.

I have gone through a few phases of various flavours of rock music (jammy, bluesy, bluegrassy, jazzy, straight noise band). But since lockdown I built that huge board and have just been experimenting and looping a lot. Just laying down  a groove and woodshredding.

Several of the pedals are post COVID as I have been trying to get a better understanding of how to harness tones. Everything was goodish sounding back when I was gigging and could just crank it.
    cdrive
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited December 2020
    Boss is making a Tone Bender!  I have a couple of their pedals from the Wazacraft line and they're the best.

https://www.boss.info/global/products/tb-2w/?lang=en-JM

cdrive
    Boom.

Gonna cull out of the herd my catalinabread fuzzrite and mini fuzz face, and get this.  Q2 2021...
  • I only really use my Wazacraft Delay for slapback so I don't take full advantage of all of its features, but I'm absolutely in love with the Waza chorus - it's probably my favourite pedal and it makes me really excited about a tone bender!
    edited December 2020
    I only really use my Wazacraft Delay for slapback so I don't take full advantage of all of its features, but I'm absolutely in love with the Waza chorus - it's probably my favourite pedal and it makes me really excited about a tone bender!
    It's funny the buzz this thing got yesterday.  1st learned about it from you here, but then also I was texting with a group of other buddies who are also clearing some space for this thing.  And the FB Fuzztopia group was going nuts.  It was funny how some we're like "explain to me what's so special about it?" and people we're like "I'd prefer not to because then you're another person to compete with to get one!"  

That's interesting about your Waza Chorus.  I have the bases covered for the things I'd use in the Waza line up EXCEPT for chorus.  I used to have an Fender Ultra Chorus amp back in the day and I burnt myself out on chorus.  Chorus can sound really great when used well and really dated if not used as well, you know? But now it sounds in vogue again and I hear it on a ton of things used really well.  I could see myself peeking at chorus pedals next year... 
  • cdrive said:
    I only really use my Wazacraft Delay for slapback so I don't take full advantage of all of its features, but I'm absolutely in love with the Waza chorus - it's probably my favourite pedal and it makes me really excited about a tone bender!
    It's funny the buzz this thing got yesterday.  1st learned about it from you here, but then also I was texting with a group of other buddies who are also clearing some space for this thing.  And the FB Fuzztopia group was going nuts.  It was funny how some we're like "explain to me what's so special about it?" and people we're like "I'd prefer not to because then you're another person to compete with to get one!"  

That's interesting about your Waza Chorus.  I have the bases covered for the things I'd use in the Waza line up EXCEPT for chorus.  I used to have an Fender Ultra Chorus amp back in the day and I burnt myself out on chorus.  Chorus can sound really great when used well and really dated if not used as well, you know? But now it sounds in vogue again and I hear it on a ton of things used really well.  I could see myself peeking at chorus pedals next year... 
    I used a Small Clone for the longest time, I tend to love EHX pedals - IMO they're the best value pedals around, but the more that I played (and the better I got!) I wanted more and different sounds.  The Small Clone was amazing at a narrow range of sounds, the Waxa Chorus doesn't exactly have a huge variety of sounds but it nails every classic sound you could ever want.  If I could put it in philosophical terms, Plato would consider the Waxa Chorus the 'ideal form' of chorus pedals ;)

In terms of chorus - especially the Boss chorus - being back in vogue, it's all Drab Majesty.  That dude plays through 2 (!) waza choruses and plays into a Roland Jazz 120 (which is what the Boss Chorus pedal is based on).

I used a Small Clone for the longest time, I tend to love EHX pedals - IMO they're the best value pedals around, but the more that I played (and the better I got!) I wanted more and different sounds.  The Small Clone was amazing at a narrow range of sounds, the Waxa Chorus doesn't exactly have a huge variety of sounds but it nails every classic sound you could ever want.  If I could put it in philosophical terms, Plato would consider the Waxa Chorus the 'ideal form' of chorus pedals ;)

In terms of chorus - especially the Boss chorus - being back in vogue, it's all Drab Majesty.  That dude plays through 2 (!) waza choruses and plays into a Roland Jazz 120 (which is what the Boss Chorus pedal is based on).
    Ok so continuing with Plato, your Small Stone was your life inside the cave, but the Waza chorus is you freed outside the cave and drenched in the sunlight.   :)

Man I know exactly who Drab Majesty is.  So random.  I dig that shit.  That crowd loves their Roland Jazz 120 stereo amps for real.  

Well I'm definitely further intrigued about Waza chorus....
    CretanBull
  • AnyCretanBull said:
    Boss is making a Tone Bender!  I have a couple of their pedals from the Wazacraft line and they're the best.

https://www.boss.info/global/products/tb-2w/?lang=en-JM

Anybody tried the JHS Bender? Thoughts?