NFL 21/22

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    @asmallcat- what are your thoughts on the Lions Bruce Campbell hire? Pat McAfee was pumped :D

• I need to see who his coordinators are as he's not really a playcaller. I'm cautiously optimistic though. The guy is a player's coach and "leader of men" type and most players he's worked with seem to really like him, which is a great change from Patricia. Plus, Patricia was THE hot coach that everyone wanted, and look how that turned out. I was worried they were gonna go after Bienemy (or however it's spelled) as another coordinator working under a brilliant coach where you don't really know who is responsible for the team's success, and we were gonna have Patricia 2.0, so I'm kind of relieved that wasn't the hire. Plus, even though the Lions fired Caldwell, he had multiple 9-7 seasons and I would so take that right now. 

Now, if he turns around and hires retreads for OC and DC, guys who have had a shot at head coaching and failed, etc, I'll probably change my tune. 

I'm also thrilled they didn't go for Urban Meyer, both cause I think it would be a bad look for a Michigan team and cause I think he's going to massively fail as a head coach in the NFL. 
    Chinaski
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I don't really have an opinion on the new Lions HC other than if you had told me he'd been the HC for the last five years I would believe you cause he just looks like he coaches the Lions, but did they really need to give him six years? Who were they bidding against? I get you want to give your coach confidence and time to turn things around but the way things have gone up there I dunno why you would just assume this is your next decade+ coach.
    edited January 22
    they gave him 6 years?! i remember when he was the intern coach for the dolphins and he just seemed like meathead not being impressed with his coaching style. who knows, maybe he's learned a lot the last 5 years under Sean 'Blue Steel' Payton. but 6 years is a bit much.

as far as Urban Meyer goes, it's going to be interesting. i'm getting a Nick Sabin in the NFL 2.0 vibe.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Bruh what are you doing?! Run it in! 
    Chinaskikingbee67Noel
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Ed Oliver riding to the Super Bowl come on let’s get this bitch!!!

Chinaskikingbee67Noel
    Brady has been to like 25% of the Super Bowls since i've been alive :|
    kingbee67Noel
  • @cdrive I thought the same exact thing. Even if he plays it safe to not get hurt, he'll get to at least the 3 or 4 yard line. Much easier 4th and goal to go for the TD versus a field goal. I'm happy he didn't run it, I'd much rather see the Bucs go to the Superbowl.
    cdrive
  • Bucs played good. But Packers also got robbed.
  • edited January 25
    GO CHIEFS!! Run It Back
    cdrive
  • Aaaaaannnnd we hired a just fired head coach as OC. Now I'm less optimistic. 

At least the DC is a guy from the Saints, who had a baller defense the last couple years. 
    Chinaski said:
    Brady has been to like 25% of the Super Bowls since i've been alive :|

The stats on this are ridiculous

Chinaskiasmallcat
    that is such a crazy, yet annoying stat!
    r49ers - QB News Deshaun Watson officially requests to be traded no trade clause means he decides where to to

Not exactly new info but I'm here for all the jersey swap pictures

• And all for a former pastor. Seriously WTF does Easterby have on Texans ownership? 
    asmallcat said:
    And all for a former pastor. Seriously WTF does Easterby have on Texans ownership? 

Lord of the Rings  The Two Towers Gandalf and Theoden - YouTube
    asmallcat
  • edited January 28
  • It seems like Stafford would transition seamlessly to the Colts
  • nstinson said:
    It seems like Stafford would transition seamlessly to the Colts

I'd be totally fine with that. I just want him to go somewhere in win now mode outside the division so I can cheer for that team (over the Lions who are clearly gonna be hot garbage for at least a year). Colts, Saints, 49ers, Rams, all would be great (salary considerations aside, I have no idea who that's feasible for). 
    edited January 28
    I really, really hope that the Niners are able to trade for Stafford. If the price is a first then they have a higher pick than most of the other teams that would be offering theirs so it's not as unrealistic as all these Watson scenarios. All of the alternatives have massive downsides

1. Stick with Jimmy and get a few inconsistent games until he gets hurt and you're playing the backup in week 4 yet again
    2. Trade for Watson which isn't possible unless he goes full Anthony Davis and says he will only play for SF which is not realistic anywhere other than /r/49ers and might not be enough to get him traded here anyway
    3. Sign Dak for 40 mil or whatever it is he wants and try and play with 20 people on the roster or like 30 dudes making minimums pulled from other teams practice squads. Maybe trade back with all their picks and get the entire 6th round and play those guys.
    4. Draft a rookie who probably wont be great right away and will be expensive to move up for unless they want to go with the second tier of QBs who would just be Jimmy's backup the first year anyway
    5. Go with a castoff like Cam or Jameis. Probably not an upgrade over Jimmy and could be a disaster.
    6. Trade the #12 pick for Stafford and be instantly better and one of the top threats in the NFC
  • I think if the Niners are smart they will push for Stafford now. Unless they have inside info that Watson will only come to them, you're right, there's no way they can offer as much as, say, the Jets could. Further, the market for Stafford is going to be a little depressed as long as Watson is on the table because if you are getting a QB today, you want Watson, he's a much longer-term solution than Stafford, who probably has 5ish years of peak left versus 10+ for Watson. So if you come in with a strong offer now, you may get Detroit to bite. If you wait till after the Watson trade, now Stafford is the best trade QB option available and a bunch of teams will be scrambling to get him. 

However, I think to get Stafford now the Niners probably have to give up a first this year and a second next year at least. Are they willing to do that while Watson is still a theoretical possibility? I dunno. 
    asmallcat said:

However, I think to get Stafford now the Niners probably have to give up a first this year and a second next year at least. Are they willing to do that while Watson is still a theoretical possibility? I dunno. 

They should be cause I doubt they're winning a bidding war for Watson. Even Jacksonville or Atlanta could jump in and give them the opportunity to pick a replacement QB in a strong QB draft and I don't even know what the niners could give up to match that value. The thing is there's still so much time left before the league year starts and any of these decisions have to be made, Detroit has no reason to rush it. I think you're right that the bidding for him is going to get way higher once Watson is moved or the Texans go full scorched earth and refuse to trade him.

I really hope to see some desperation here from SF because I just cannot go into another "well this roster is ready for a super bowl run but the QB isn't playing, lets see what draft pick we get" season. I would much rather have given up an extra second for Stafford that they didn't need to than roll into yet another season with Jimmy GQ praying he doesn't trip over a divot or whatever.

It's really wild how many QBs could be on the move this year. Last year I thought almost every team had some kind of plan at the position and this year it feels like nobody other than Mahomes is off the table. This could be like the 2019 NBA offseason.

• How about Watson to the Giants?
    @nstinson ; I mean any team who isn't the chiefs should be discussing what the biggest package they're willing to offer is
    when can these trades actually happen? do we need to wait till the season ends officially or in March when free agency starts?
    They can agree on the trade but it can't be made official until the league year starts in March. They probably wouldn't go back on the deal because nobody would trust them going forward in similar deals, but I don't think anything is stopping them from taking a better offer if they get one before it's official. With the current Texans who the hell knows what they'd do.
    Chinaski
  • I'm curious to see what the Vikings do moving forward. What scares me is Cousins shines just enough to give you hope but then let's all that come crashing down when it actually matters. He's not a bad quarterback but the Vikings were stupid to sign him for so much money and guarantee 100% of it. It's going to be an interesting off-season watching the QB situation for lots of different teams.  
    apparently the 'rumored' offer from SF to DET for Stafford is 2 2nd Rounders and 2 3rd Rounders.
    Chinaski said:
    apparently the 'rumored' offer from SF to DET for Stafford is 2 2nd Rounders and 2 3rd Rounders.

At first I thought with no firsts that they'd never go for it, but that's a lot of high picks. Imagined this was just going to be who gave the highest first rounder and maybe some conditional 4ths or something along those lines. This would make sense to me for both teams, Detroit getting a bigger volume of high quality picks for their rebuild and SF keeping the firsts because they need day one starters. Niners have extra third rounders as comp picks from their coaching staff getting raided with the new minority coach hiring rules, so this would be an extremely convenient trade for them.
  • edited January 30
    Chinaski said:
    I don't think they'll bite on that, at least not yet. I think they really want a first and can probably get it. He's locked in for 2 years and is cheap for an above-average NFL starting QB. 

Edit - I guess you can probably parlay 2 2nds into a late first so that leaves you with a 1st and 2 3rds, which would be a pretty good trade.