NFL 21/22

Comments

• Hatorian said:
    well. wilson isnt going to dallas. bears offer just got better...
    Please god no. I don't want the NFC North to have Rogers and fucking Russel Wilson. 
    HatorianChinaski
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    That Dak contract is why you pay your guys when they still have years on their rookie deal lol. I don't think it's bad though, if he plays like he did last year it'll be worth it and they should easily blow through that division unless Washington does something big at QB. Only thing that worries me is he's coming off that injury so there's a non-zero chance he just isn't the same guy anymore, but they kinda have to take that chance now after fucking around for the last few years.
  • asmallcat said:
    Hatorian said:
    well. wilson isnt going to dallas. bears offer just got better...
    Please god no. I don't want the NFC North to have Rogers and fucking Russel Wilson. 
    I second that wholeheartedly as a Vikings fan. Seeing Rodgers and Wilson 4 of the 16 games a year is kind of terrifying. 
    asmallcat
  • This is quite the interesting comparison between Kirk Cousins and Dak Prescott... As a Viking fan I feel like Kirk is overpaid 

Dak Prescott v. Kirk Cousins,
    last 40 Starts:

Prescott--
    11,215 Passing Yards 
    62 Passing TDs
    27 INTs
    66.3% Comp
    96.4 Passer Rating 
    13 Rushing TDs
    7.82 Yds/Att

Cousins--
    10,004 Passing Yards 
    77 Passing TDs
    26 INTs
    68.8% Comp 
    104.1 Passer Rating 
    2 Rushing TDs
    7.90 Yds/Att
    Chinaskiblacksunrise7
    It's hard to compare QB contracts because they're such products of circumstance. Dak got way more money than a lot of guys would because they would have had to tag him anyway so the negotiations started there. You can get a better deal if you extend your guy with years left on the deal because you have plenty of leverage at that point. The Cowboys had no leverage and were staring at the abyss of finding a new QB with a loaded offensive cast in a terrible division and an owner/GM who will not accept a rebuild, they couldn't let him walk.

There's also the new TV deals hanging over all of this which could make all of these guys look like bargains in a few years. I was listening to the Ringer NFL podcast they did for this and they were talking about how even two years ago the elite guys were making 30, now you look at the list and anybody who's a decent starter not on a rookie deal makes 25+. That Aaron Rodgers deal that was so huge not that long ago now looks like a team friendly discount compared to what that would look like now. It's been true for a while that pretty much every notable QB contract resets the market. 
    awookiee
  • Yeah the Stafford contract was crazy....what, 3-4 years ago(?) and now it's decidedly middle of the road for QB contracts. QB contracts have been going so crazy the last 5-10 years that it's really hard to say someone is being overpaid if they look like they can be a franchise QB for the length of the contract. I think it's still to early to say if Cousins is overpaid (although he might turn out to be a bust in terms of being able to carry the team to big wins). 

In 2020, Stafford made 27 million, was the 14th highest paid player. Cousins made 33 million, but that was his first year, he's only guaranteed 61 million, and that's less than Wentz was guaranteed (lol), less than Goff made in 2020 (although slightly more than he was guaranteed), and less per year that Rogers, Big Ben, Wilson, and of course Mahomes (and I'd say that a team would rather have Cousins than Ben, Goff, or Wentz). 

The only arguably better QB's who made less and weren't on rookie deals were Brady (and he was a bit of a gamble as he looked to be declining in 2019), Stafford, Ryan (and the falcons were awful last year), and Tannehill (who is also a bit of a gamble). Other guys with big cap hits turned out way worse than Cousins - Jimmy G (injuries), Derek Carr, Drew Brees (noodle arm), Phillip Rivers, and Alex Smith. 

awookieebizmarkiefader
    It'll be interesting to see what Lamar and Josh Allen get. Lamar especially has been so up and down that I don't even know what to make of his value. The Ravens have completely tailored their offense to him and it's mostly worked, but I can't see too many other teams banging down the door to give him 40+ million a year in FA unless they're willing to do the same thing. Both sides will be motivated to never let it get that far but I'm really curious what number they come up with for him.

I wonder if Dak and Cousins will end up changing the way some of these QBs operate. It used to be you take the extension so you can get some bonus money up front and the security of that longer contract in case you get hurt, but Dak just had a season ending injury and it didn't seem to hurt his value at all. Wentz has both been hurt and regressed but a team was still willing to trade high picks for him even on his terrible contract because of what he did for part of 2017. Teams are so desperate for even a shot at high level QB play that if you're in the top half of QBs why wouldn't you push it as far as you can if money is your priority?

The franchise tag obviously makes it so you can't just walk into the open market but I think we could see a lot more of the no franchise tag clause in second or third deals. I'm watching this play out in horror right now with Trent Williams because he had that clause and decided he wanted to see what his value is, so the niners have to sit there and wait to compete with everyone else for the guy they traded for to be their LT of the immediate future.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    it's pretty wild to see the breakdown like this. some of these numbers are real head scratchers. Nathan Peterman getting a million bucks in guarantee money to be a 3rd stringer, who's his agent?

• edited March 11

Edit - The Lions D made Trubs look like Wilson. Who the fuck are we gonna make Wilson look like? Lamar Mahomes? 
    ChinaskiHatorian
    i didn't think a Russ deal would go down until or after 6/1 if it actually did go down cause of the huge cap hit (32 million i think). wonder if the bears unretire #3 if and when the deal goes down.
  • edited March 11
    Shared the same thought I shared earlier... Is it Friday yet? 
    wow that is pretty crazy. wrapping my brain around past TB QB's and that stat makes total sense haha.

in other news.. Cam re-signs with NE. wasn't expecting that.
  • Chinaski said:
    wow that is pretty crazy. wrapping my brain around past TB QB's and that stat makes total sense haha.

in other news.. Cam re-signs with NE. wasn't expecting that.
    They probably didn't have the capital to get one of the big trade targets and don't pick high enough to get an immediate starter in the draft. 
    yeah, they maybe able to land Mac Jones with the #15 pick.
  • Chinaski said:
    yeah, they maybe able to land Mac Jones with the #15 pick.
    I think he's projected to go lower than that, but maybe. It does seem like drafting is the part of the pats organization that is average. 
    It sounded like they wanted to trade for Jimmy G but SF wasn't making him available yet. It's unfortunate because that would probably be the right move for both sides, but SF can't do it until they know they have another starter and the pats need to have somebody coming into free agency or nobody will want to sign there.
    day 1 of free agency and NE goes on a $194.5 mil spending spree. 4 years, $50 mil for TE Jonnu Smith? i barely even know who that guy is.
    I'm absolutely losing my mind waiting for the Trent Williams deal for the Niners. First it was the fucking Chiefs of all teams going for him and now apparently the Bears are inquiring. I know 95% of the internet is somehow Bears fans and we've been real friendly with this Russell Wilson stuff but I'm gonna need you guys to back the hell off. That "no franchise tag" part of his contract was an absolute killer.

Chinaski said:
    day 1 of free agency and NE goes on a $194.5 mil spending spree. 4 years, $50 mil for TE Jonnu Smith? i barely even know who that guy is.

It's pretty wild coming from them, this feels like a vintage Jets offseason. Given their recent history of drafting TEs I think it makes sense to spend big there, but they're throwing around a lot of money at a lot of players that I don't think move the needle that much for fans.
    Chinaski
    I'm absolutely losing my mind waiting for the Trent Williams deal for the Niners. First it was the fucking Chiefs of all teams going for him and now apparently the Bears are inquiring. I know 95% of the internet is somehow Bears fans and we've been real friendly with this Russell Wilson stuff but I'm gonna need you guys to back the hell off. That "no franchise tag" part of his contract was an absolute killer.
    funny, i was JUST reading about the bears having interest in Trent Williams. the bears are not exactly in the best position cap wise, so they'd have to do some more contact restructuring or cuts. from what i was reading if they cut their current RT (Leno Jr) they could save a good amount that would help sign Williams. ugh, i really hope KC doesn't sign him. they just signed Joe Thuney to a pretty fat deal. i also heard the Colts may make a move for him. they have a butt load of cap space. jeez, could you imagine pairing Williams with Quenton Nelson? :#
  • edited March 16
    Chinaski said:
    Everything after 2 years is pretend money. None of it is guaranteed after 2 years. These numbers are big and splashy but the actual value of almost every NFL contract, and literally every big contract, is way less than is reported. It just lets the team keep them if they are worth more than the contract, and dump them if they aren't. 
    Chinaski
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Good riddance to Linsley. And looks like the Saints are out on Wilson. Just signed Winston and they gave big money to Tyson Hill already
    Chinaski
    edited March 16

Hatorian said:
    Good riddance to Linsley. And looks like the Saints are out on Wilson. Just signed Winston and they gave big money to Tyson Hill already
    see ya never Linsley! and yeah on those Saints deals. however that Hill contract looks so silly on paper. keyword 'voidable'.
    Hatorian
  • Chinaski said:

Hatorian said:
    see ya never Linsley! and yeah on those Saints deals. however that Hill contract looks so silly on paper. keyword 'voidable'.
    Yeah that 140 million is the ultimate funny money contract. It saves the Saints money this year, and of that 140 million, "$9.686 million signing bonus, a $1.439 million guaranteed roster bonus and a $1.034 million guaranteed base salary, plus incentives, per source." So that's 12 million guaranteed of that 140 million. 
    Hatorian
    I really hate all these fake nonsense contracts. The NFL cap is already a confusing smoke and mirror show without them and I don't get what the players get out of having some huge announced deal to just be cut a year later. The casual fans aren't going to care what their contract is and its not going to fool the hardcore people, so who are we fooling here? The only people I can see benefiting from this are the agents who get to talk about all the huge deals they signed.
    Hatorian
    edited March 16
    @bizmarkiefader - y'all have a deal on the table for Williams. don't think you need to worry about the bears matching or offering more than 4 years $80mil haha
    bizmarkiefader
    Chinaski said:
    @bizmarkiefader - y'all have a deal on the table for Williams. don't think you need to worry about the bears matching or offering more than 4 years $80mil haha

I think that deal or something really close to it has been on the table since the year ended. I don't know what's going on over there but I'm sure there's something happening that isn't public info.
    Russel Wilson? Deshaun Watson? Nope! Andy Friggin' Dalton! ugh! it's like asking for a fresh Starter Jacket as a kid and getting a Chalk Line Jacket!