General Tomfoolery

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Canadanians, I am currently watching one of your TV chefs (Spencer Watts) making BBQ food on what appears to be the roof of a high rise apartment building. It’s made me realise I’m quite partial to Canadian TV chefs - Anna Olson, Michael Smith, Michael Bonacini, etc. But I’ve never seen a single one of them use milk in a bag! Is that just some weird myth like how everything in Australia is dangerous?

(Oh my god, he just grilled a whole brie on a BBQ. Why have I never thought of that?)
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    “Not in my wheelhouse” - I cringe when I hear that on a conference call. Luckily it’s not as often anymore. 
    MichelleChinaski
  • Dee said:
    Canadanians, I am currently watching one of your TV chefs (Spencer Watts) making BBQ food on what appears to be the roof of a high rise apartment building. It’s made me realise I’m quite partial to Canadian TV chefs - Anna Olson, Michael Smith, Michael Bonacini, etc. But I’ve never seen a single one of them use milk in a bag! Is that just some weird myth like how everything in Australia is dangerous?

(Oh my god, he just grilled a whole brie on a BBQ. Why have I never thought of that?)
    Bags of milk are larger than cartons and aren't re-sealable the way a carton is.  When we buy bags, they come in 3's and there are 4 liters between them.  A carton of milk is 1l (usually, they come in 250ml, 500ml and 2l too) and can be resealed.  With the amount of milk that a chef would use in cooking, buying a 1l is probably more practical.

I have a friend who is a TV chef, although I don't think he's on the air now.  He had two shows, one called Sizzle with Michael P Clive and another one called Toronto Eats with MPC.  Sizzle was a pretty interesting show, it was a dating show where a couple's first date was to attend a cooking class with Mike and they'd get to know each other while they prepared a meal together.  He's now doing an indoor BBQ thing called The Weber Grill Academy, it's not on TV but they stream videos on youtube and Facebook.

ChinaskiDee
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 2020
    This is delightful, worth taking a couple minutes to watch. 1980s youths, playing video games and harassing seniors!

ChinaskiCretanBullJoshuaHeter
  • Lol. Boston is a pretty liberal city but there's definitely a few modern holdovers from our puritanical roots. Shit like that, stupidly strict liquor store laws, being the WORST place in the country to get medical malpractice judgments (a general thought that you should suck it up and bear it like a good pilgrim), etc. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I was more terrorized by the shorts they were wearing. 
    CretanBull
  • The lady in red's accent was the most terrifying thing in that video.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Michelle you’ll prolly chuckle to hear I just bought this at the grocery store:

Michelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited October 2020
    CretanBull said:

Bags of milk are larger than cartons and aren't re-sealable the way a carton is.  When we buy bags, they come in 3's and there are 4 liters between them.  A carton of milk is 1l (usually, they come in 250ml, 500ml and 2l too) and can be resealed.  With the amount of milk that a chef would use in cooking, buying a 1l is probably more practical.
    Wait, wait, wait...  you don't have 4L jugs in the Golden Horseshoe?

4 litres is 130ml more than a US gallon, and 540ml less than an English gallon.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski I saw that story in The Guardian yesterday and oh my god, that is so many of my worst fears rolled into one ginormous nightmare! 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    right?!? 30 minutes?! i would have died! and this just gave me mad chills!

“Rats crawling on him, he can’t move,” his brother, Greg White, told CBS New York. “He didn’t want to yell because he was afraid there were going to be rats inside his mouth.”
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Great idea for tonight!

JoshuaHetercdriveCecily
  • This SNL sketch is over 10 years old, but I just came across it. 

It’s not Halloween themed, but it’s (I would argue) Halloween-ish. If have any sort of nerd tendency, it’ll be right in your wheelhouse...

Cecily
  • The only good part of 2020 is that the jokes write themselves.

• This is going live in a little over an hour (starting at 9pm EST).  It's a debate between guy named Aron Ra and a flat-earther named Nathan Thompson.  This should be really good.  Aron Ra is incredibly smart and Nathan is...well, Nathan is a flat-earther.

• Dee said:
    Controversial opinion time. I don't like ranch.  I'll put it on a baked potato, but that is my only ranch usage. Ranch on a salad... blech.  I like thousand island or caesar.
    I’m not a huge fan - I find a lot of versions weirdly sweet. 
    Ranch only on uncooked carrots. That’s it. 
  • Dee said:
    These two might just be Australianisms, but saying “ya know” at the end of every sentence makes my teeth clench. The other one is “and that” at the end of every sentence. This one seems to be weirdly specific to bogan mums/grandmas. “We went shopping and that. Got some lunch and that. Saw Sharon and that.” My daughter’s paternal grandmother does it ALL THE TIME. 

Generally, if someone is speaking and I become aware of any repetitive thing they say I become completely distracted by that and can no longer focus on what they are actually saying. 
    My wife’s annoying Australian term is “XXX, can I ask you a question?”

EVERY TIME

like just ask the damn question you’re asking me. Question to ask a question. My brains gonna explode 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Hatorian That’s not Australian! American TV characters always say “Let me ask you something.” 
    edited November 2020
    there was a guy i use to work with that use to side-bust conversations with.. 'oh hey.. sorry to interrupt  but...' that would drive me mad. several times i'd pause and be like 'by all means go for it...' then walk away.
  • Dee said:
    @Hatorian That’s not Australian! American TV characters always say “Let me ask you something.” 
    Might be. But it’s just annoying nonetheless. Asking a question to ask a question just doesn’t compute with me. If you get my attention then ask away...;)
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Does anyone else own 100+ cookbooks and recipe books and just always Google when trying to find a recipe for something? 
    MichelleCecily
    maybe not a 100+ but a good amount (that were mostly gifts), but uhhh...

Andy Richter Raise Hand GIF by Team Coco - Find  Share on GIPHY
    DeeMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski The other thing I do is read a lot of food mags online and just take screenshots of recipes I like so my iPad has like 300 recipes that I never look at. 

Maybe my new year resolution will be to make some sort of reference system for all the recipes I want to or am likely to try, lol. 
    ChinaskiMichellecalebthrower
    Dee said:
    @Chinaski The other thing I do is read a lot of food mags online and just take screenshots of recipes I like so my iPad has like 300 recipes that I never look at.
    that's a good idea i never considered. i usually just search dishes i know will be online with ingredients i have handy (for example last week i googled 'linguini shrimp scampi asparagus'). then browse the different  recipe results. if it's too wordy and annoying i instantly hit the browser 'back' button.
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski What, you don’t want to read 17 paragraphs about some random’s childhood summers on Grammy’s farm and look at 42 photographs of the same plate of vegan lasagne taken from different angles? 
    ChinaskiMichelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    Does anyone else own 100+ cookbooks and recipe books and just always Google when trying to find a recipe for something? 
    Well I don't own any recipe books, but I do need a good pancake recipe, preferably low in carbs.  :D
    haha oh jeez! those make my eyes roll to my lower back!  :#