NBA 2021 Thread

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    What a shot from LeBron. Would've liked to see Steph more in the playoffs, but damn!
  • MrX said:
    What a shot from LeBron. Would've liked to see Steph more in the playoffs, but damn!
    Still got a game on Friday. Feeling confident that GS can get to play UTAH in the first round.
    ChinaskiMrX
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    ugh! they just fell apart in that 3rd quarter with bonehead turnovers! the refs in the 4th didn't help either. re-match with Memphis should be fun! :#
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    ChinaskiNoelDummy
    lj.png 273.1K
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    As much as I didn't like some of the calls in the second half and there was some bullshittery going on, the thing that sucks the most about last nights game is it feels about right for this version of the Warriors. A lot of unforced errors, turnovers, missed layups, bad fouls, the same shit that's been happening all season right down to their traditional let every team back into the game if they're holding a lead. They have too many guys that should be playing 10-15 minutes a game getting near 30 cause they have no depth. Lebron's whining just made it more painful.
    Chinaski
    As much as I didn't like some of the calls in the second half and there was some bullshittery going on, the thing that sucks the most about last nights game is it feels about right for this version of the Warriors. A lot of unforced errors, turnovers, missed layups, bad fouls, the same shit that's been happening all season right down to their traditional let every team back into the game if they're holding a lead. They have too many guys that should be playing 10-15 minutes a game getting near 30 cause they have no depth. Lebron's whining just made it more painful.
    I'm neutral-ish (I admit, I hate the Lakers but I wasn't invested in the outcome of this game at all) and I thought the Warriors got royally screwed.  The Lakers, Knicks & Celtics always get all of the calls...
    bizmarkiefaderChinaski

Toronto Raptors superfan Nav Bhatia became the first fan ever to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/toronto-raptors-superfan-nav-bhatia-inducted-into-hall-of-fame
    cdrive
    nav.jpeg 140.9K
  • As much as I didn't like some of the calls in the second half and there was some bullshittery going on, the thing that sucks the most about last nights game is it feels about right for this version of the Warriors. A lot of unforced errors, turnovers, missed layups, bad fouls, the same shit that's been happening all season right down to their traditional let every team back into the game if they're holding a lead. They have too many guys that should be playing 10-15 minutes a game getting near 30 cause they have no depth. Lebron's whining just made it more painful.
    I'm neutral-ish (I admit, I hate the Lakers but I wasn't invested in the outcome of this game at all) and I thought the Warriors got royally screwed.  The Lakers, Knicks & Celtics always get all of the calls...
    It's almost like LeBron's team always gets the calls.... (remember game 4 of the 2017 Finals?)

The whole "I saw 3 rims" thing is sooooo ridiculous.
    CretanBullbizmarkiefaderChinaski

ray_x03 said:
    It's almost like LeBron's team always gets the calls.... (remember game 4 of the 2017 Finals?)

The way the sideline reporter was talking about him you'd think he was playing on two broken ankles and then when he got a finger brushed against his eye he was out there using the force cause he was completely blind. I still remember him coming out to a press conference during the finals with cast or splint or something on and it was like oh ok buddy sure. Is it not enough to just be in the conversation for best player of all time that he has to make sure there are a list of built in excuses and narratives in case something doesn't go his way? He's like a formula 1 driver.
    Chinaski
  • Wizards fans were chanting “We Want Philly” after dismantling a depleted Pacers team. They are aware yhe lost the season series to Philly 3-0 that has an MVP candidate on the team roght?

• ray_x03 said:

The way the sideline reporter was talking about him you'd think he was playing on two broken ankles and then when he got a finger brushed against his eye he was out there using the force cause he was completely blind. I still remember him coming out to a press conference during the finals with cast or splint or something on and it was like oh ok buddy sure. Is it not enough to just be in the conversation for best player of all time that he has to make sure there are a list of built in excuses and narratives in case something doesn't go his way? He's like a formula 1 driver.
    Seriously the way he acted I thought he'd torn his achilles or something, writhing on the floor

btw classic dynasty-regular-season GSW to be 1 quarter from losing this game because of turnovers
    ray_x03 said:
    btw classic dynasty-regular-season GSW to be 1 quarter from losing this game because of turnovers
    haha good lord! the Golden State Turnovers.
    wow, they almost won and ran it to OT after all those bonehead turnovers. let's go!!
    welp! at least they'll get a lottery pick now, in addition to Minnesota's (if it's not Top 3).
  • I know that GS was never going to win the title this year (especially after Klay's injury), but can't help but feel frustrated by how half the season was spent trying to strike a balance that didn't exist, giving away games because of TURNOVERS... looking at the record, the Warriors should've been at least the 6 seed if they played Steph and Dray just 2 more minutes in some close games.

And now of course playing Steph 45+ minutes in an elimination game was not enough.
    Chinaskibizmarkiefader
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Clippers wanted the Mavs huh?
    Chinaski
    @Noel! que onda carnal? where you been? hope all is well.
    Noel
    watching this Celtics n Nets game. that Brooklyn court gray-ish color scheme is a trip. really makes the uniforms pop. messin' with my eyes and brain man!
  • Wizarda have no answer for Embid….Ugh
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I wanna see Harden get to The Finals and then lose to Chris Paul.  That would be basketball magical. I want Harden to one day get one, but I’d love it so much more right now for CP3. (And the Houston shit with Harden wanting Russ in for Paul, it would be some sweet karma.) 
  • Trae Young=Onions
    cdriveNoelChinaski
    Trae a dog, man. Trae snatched the bag tonight. 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    @Chinaski I’m good bro, todo bien. Just have a lot on my plate right now so I’m not able to be as active on here. Been a wild year but I’ll be alright. I’ll be back sooner than later.
    Chinaski
    cdrive said:
    Trae a dog, man. Trae snatched the bag tonight. 
    ugh! great, now i have that Major Bag Alert jingle circling my brain. thanks a lot :|
    cdrive
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    cdrive said:
    I wanna see Harden get to The Finals and then lose to Chris Paul.  That would be basketball magical. I want Harden to one day get one, but I’d love it so much more right now for CP3. (And the Houston shit with Harden wanting Russ in for Paul, it would be some sweet karma.) 
    I... I don't hate that, except I'd like to see Nash win.

I don't have a lot of faith in a Big 3 that was
    1. Formed mid-season
    2. Hardly seemed to all play together once they were formed.
    cdrive
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Me with the GSW the other night against the Lakers...

CoryCretanBull
    Lmaoooooo cheers to whoever updated the Trae Young lollipop meme!  :D

bizmarkiefader
    A more general note I've started watching more NBA since the bubble and especially more non Warriors games and more national broadcasts. I'm not an expert on the NBA or basketball by any means, and when I was getting into the NFL I learned a ton just watching broadcasts and occasional talking head shows. It's not all perfect information but when someone throws an incomplete pass in an NFL game they will generally talk about "oh this is the route they ran, the defense was in cover 3 you can see here so this safety did a good job rotating and the QB did a poor job with his eyes and stared him down" or whatever and eventually I've absorbed sort of a basic understanding of how football works.

In the NBA since it's faster it's a lot more just this is whats happening, who shot and whether they missed etc which is fine, but when there is a break (if they somehow don't throw it to commercials) I feel like 95% of what we get is Van Gundy being like "I HATE THIS. This is ruining our league. That is or is not a foul and shouldn't be. I hate this guys attitude. I hate the way coaches stand on the sideline. Why is this like this?" and if it's not that it's like "So and so made a 3 to bring the score back to within 8, so anyway where is Giannis going? Is he going to the Lakers? Who's going to force their way off the team? What did Harden do last weekend? Who is going to the Lakers if it isn't Giannis?" I couldn't tell you a damn thing about almost any NBA player who isn't either on the Warriors or an all star team. I still don't really understand how team defense works or what teams are doing to rotate players onto other players to create matchups other than obvious blocks or 1 on 1 plays. When Draymond had a week on TNT and did a few breakdowns during halftime I feel like I learned more in those 5-10 minutes than I have by watching the entirety of last years playoffs. 

Is this just me or is the way the NBA is covered detrimental to the sport? I really want to like it but these guys drive me nuts and I can't seem to escape JVG and Mark Jackson. Every broadcast sounds like a First Take segment. I don't like all the announcers and pundits for the NFL or MLB but they at least sound like they give a shit about their respective sports. Am I actually just 100 years old and this is yelling at clouds?
    ChinaskiCretanBull
    Van Gundy and Mark Jackson are a couple of peckerheads. your JVG assessment is spot on. friggin Captain Complainer.
  • edited May 25
    A more general note I've started watching more NBA since the bubble and especially more non Warriors games and more national broadcasts. I'm not an expert on the NBA or basketball by any means, and when I was getting into the NFL I learned a ton just watching broadcasts and occasional talking head shows. It's not all perfect information but when someone throws an incomplete pass in an NFL game they will generally talk about "oh this is the route they ran, the defense was in cover 3 you can see here so this safety did a good job rotating and the QB did a poor job with his eyes and stared him down" or whatever and eventually I've absorbed sort of a basic understanding of how football works.

In the NBA since it's faster it's a lot more just this is whats happening, who shot and whether they missed etc which is fine, but when there is a break (if they somehow don't throw it to commercials) I feel like 95% of what we get is Van Gundy being like "I HATE THIS. This is ruining our league. That is or is not a foul and shouldn't be. I hate this guys attitude. I hate the way coaches stand on the sideline. Why is this like this?" and if it's not that it's like "So and so made a 3 to bring the score back to within 8, so anyway where is Giannis going? Is he going to the Lakers? Who's going to force their way off the team? What did Harden do last weekend? Who is going to the Lakers if it isn't Giannis?" I couldn't tell you a damn thing about almost any NBA player who isn't either on the Warriors or an all star team. I still don't really understand how team defense works or what teams are doing to rotate players onto other players to create matchups other than obvious blocks or 1 on 1 plays. When Draymond had a week on TNT and did a few breakdowns during halftime I feel like I learned more in those 5-10 minutes than I have by watching the entirety of last years playoffs. 

Is this just me or is the way the NBA is covered detrimental to the sport? I really want to like it but these guys drive me nuts and I can't seem to escape JVG and Mark Jackson. Every broadcast sounds like a First Take segment. I don't like all the announcers and pundits for the NFL or MLB but they at least sound like they give a shit about their respective sports. Am I actually just 100 years old and this is yelling at clouds?
    It's a travesty that the NBA Finals aren't called with Mike Breen and Doris Burke (one of the few ESPN announcers that talk about the game). Recent additions like Richard Jefferson are just... disgusting.

It's not just you. The whole atmosphere around NBA game coverage, LeBron propaganda, toxic Twitter fans, make it very very unappealing for me to follow the league all year. At this point NBA Twitter cares more about the offseason than any aspect of basketball games and tactics.
    bizmarkiefader