NBA 2021 Thread

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited June 5
    Noel said:
    Chinaski said:
    damn, really wanted the Mavs to close it out. our first game 7 of the 2021 NBA playoffs.
    Not gonna lie, that one hurt. Glad I didn’t splurge on tickets. I was really considering it. Kawhi is unreal man, but the Mavs didn’t do themselves any favors. A lot of this game goes on Carlisle.
    so crazy no home team has won, so things look good this Sunday at Staples with those cardboard cutout fans. good luck Mavs, rooting for you!
    Noel
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said: Cory said: Chinaski said: Cory said: This board seems pretty insecure about LeBron.
    I get it, I'm pretty tired of him too, but been tired of Curry for about just as long. He's very overratedand one dimensional.
    first time since Luka Doncic was 11 years old that LBJ or Curry aren't in the Finals. pretty wild if you think about it that way.

curious on why you think Curry is overrated. 3x Champ, 2x MVP (only unanimous), 2x scoring champ, and 7x all star is a pretty good resume. in addition to that he's non-arguably the greatest shooter of all time, and imo revolutionized the game.

as far LBJ goes, there's no denying he's an unbelievable once in a lifetime talent. i just don't agree with some of his antics. "the decision", his flopping and overacting, that press conference with the cast, his complaining, leaving a playoff game with like 6 minutes left during a blowout that he basically had alot to do with (-24), and leaving the game last night like Isaiah Thomas all sour, not shaking anyone's hands. it's just getting a rather tiresome.

I was OK with "The Decision", OK with his return to Cleveland, but tired of him since he went to LA.

Curry is just a shooter as far as I'm concerned. Durant was easily their best player when he was there (I'm super tired of his whining too, probably worst of all). It's a shooter's league now, for sure, but he's not cracking my top 50 all time.

I don't specifically remember his MVPs, but I don't think I was super impressed with them (I rarely am), and probably didn't agree with them.

I've really fallen out of caring about the NBA the last 2 years.
    2014-15 he won the only unanimous MVP in league history, you might have not been impressed but voters were. he also contributed to a team that won 72 regular season games sans KD the following season (they didn't win it all, but 72 reg season wins is still impressive). sure, 'he's just a shooter' but what else do you expect from him considering his size? do you want him to throw it down or something? when he does go to the cup he has a sweet floater, and if he gets fouled his and 1 is pretty automatic. i get it, he isn't the best defender but he's no slouch. has lead the league in steals and is a total pest sometimes. i dunno, kinda hard to agree that he's 'overrated'.

Steals, like blocks, are a terrible example of good defense. For every successful steal (or block) there are many failed attempts that take you off your man, and out of position. Not that there's great defense these days.

Yeah they had 71 wins with a stacked team in a soft, watered down league. It's even worse now than when Nash won back to back MVPs. The voting is as political as anything, so not impressive to me.

He's not a true point guard either, not that there's really any left, sans Paul.

Yes he's got records for 3's made and attempted (unless Harden beat his attempts record), but 3 point shooting is up about 11 000% since the shot was introduced 50 years ago. That's not an exaggeration.

He's much better at making them than most, and has better range. But hitting threes doesn't make a great all around player.

I'd take him over just about any PG today of course (way, way, way before Westbrook), but he's not an all time great to me. He's perfect for today's league though, stretches the floor better than anyone.
    Noel
    Steals, like blocks, are a terrible example of good defense. For every successful steal (or block) there are many failed attempts that take you off your man, and out of position. Not that there's great defense these days.

-if anything, nowadays a steal when you're man-ing up a defender that's trying to drive, or shake to launch a 3 is pretty good D. i watched a lot of GSW games that year, and when he led the league in steals, they weren't all sloppy passes by the opposition.

'Yeah they had 71 wins with a stacked team in a soft, watered down league. It's even worse now than when Nash won back to back MVPs. The voting is as political as anything, so not impressive to me'

-they had 73 wins, and it wasn't really THAT stacked. if they were, the big 3 were homegrown (Steph, Dray and Klay.) "Strengths and Numbers". as far as the voting goes, yeah it's always been political. which makes the only unanimous  voting even more impressive imo.

"Yes he's got records for 3's made and attempted (unless Harden beat his attempts record), but 3 point shooting is up about 11 000% since the shot was introduced 50 years ago. That's not an exaggeration"

-the 3-point shot was introduced when i was born, 1979 (42 years ago). and it took years for players to develop it, and change a whole game like Steph has. pretty sure everyone and the kids nowadays are launching 3's is cause of Curry, and wanting to be like him (big shout out Trae Young). hence, revolutionizing the game.

"He's much better at making them than most, and has better range. But hitting threes doesn't make a great all around player."

-maybe not an all around player, but a 3 is better than 2 when most players are missing them, and not being close to 50% like Curry. back to his D, not like he launches, misses and sits back all mopey (ahem LBJ). he gets back on D and can be a pest.

"I'd take him over just about any PG today of course (way, way, way before Westbrook), but he's not an all time great to me. He's perfect for today's league though, stretches the floor better than anyone."

-that's fair, but 'today's league' is 'today's league' cause of Steph Curry. if you can't see that then i have no business in this discussion. say what you want, but at 33 years old and with several years left in this league he's already the greatest shooter off all time bar none.
    Noel
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:

-if anything, nowadays a steal when you're man-ing up a defender that's trying to drive, or shake to launch a 3 is pretty good D. i watched a lot of GSW games that year, and when he led the league in steals, they weren't all sloppy passes by the opposition.

'Yeah they had 71 wins with a stacked team in a soft, watered down league. It's even worse now than when Nash won back to back MVPs. The voting is as political as anything, so not impressive to me'

-they had 73 wins, and it wasn't really THAT stacked. if they were, the big 3 were homegrown (Steph, Dray and Klay.) "Strengths and Numbers". as far as the voting goes, yeah it's always been political. which makes the only unanimous  voting even more impressive imo.

"Yes he's got records for 3's made and attempted (unless Harden beat his attempts record), but 3 point shooting is up about 11 000% since the shot was introduced 50 years ago. That's not an exaggeration"

-the 3-point shot was introduced when i was born, 1979 (42 years ago). and it took years for players to develop it, and change a whole game like Steph has. pretty sure everyone and the kids nowadays are launching 3's is cause of Curry, and wanting to be like him (big shout out Trae Young). hence, revolutionizing the game.

"He's much better at making them than most, and has better range. But hitting threes doesn't make a great all around player."

-maybe not an all around player, but a 3 is better than 2 when most players are missing them, and not being close to 50% like Curry. back to his D, not like he launches, misses and sits back all mopey (ahem LBJ). he gets back on D and can be a pest.

"I'd take him over just about any PG today of course (way, way, way before Westbrook), but he's not an all time great to me. He's perfect for today's league though, stretches the floor better than anyone."

-that's fair, but 'today's league' is 'today's league' cause of Steph Curry. if you can't see that then i have no business in this discussion. say what you want, but at 33 years old and with several years left in this league he's already the greatest shooter off all time bar none.

Chinaski said:

I'd say Nash and those Mavs/Sun's teams started the revolution (more of an evolution), which was significantly enhanced by the rule changes.

Yes, making 40% of 3's is better than making 50% of 2's. That is partly why the league has shifted towards shooting more 3's. Irrelevant in an argument on him being an all time great player.

I'm not sure what your sloppy passes argument is trying to convey.

MVP voting is pretty irrelevant imo.

Sure he's one of the best shooter's ever, best of today. I'm not sure he's the best ever. Not like they're can ever be a definitive best ever.

His free throw shooting is also not significant due to his low to medium attempts per game. (4.2 per game career, whereas say Harden is always in double digits). Nash also shot 90% often. Durant is over 88% and has went far more often (earlier in his career for sure).

I always get the years the 3 point shot and DH in the AL mixed up. I don't see how that's important though.

I'm just not impressed by the media's hype about him, but the NBA is certainly the best when it comes to marketing their players.

Chinaski
    fair enough. we all have different glasses. B)
    who's your top 50 btw?
  • edited June 5
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said: Cory said:
    Chinaski said: Cory said: This board seems pretty insecure about LeBron.
    I get it, I'm pretty tired of him too, but been tired of Curry for about just as long. He's very overratedand one dimensional.
    first time since Luka Doncic was 11 years old that LBJ or Curry aren't in the Finals. pretty wild if you think about it that way.

curious on why you think Curry is overrated. 3x Champ, 2x MVP (only unanimous), 2x scoring champ, and 7x all star is a pretty good resume. in addition to that he's non-arguably the greatest shooter of all time, and imo revolutionized the game.

as far LBJ goes, there's no denying he's an unbelievable once in a lifetime talent. i just don't agree with some of his antics. "the decision", his flopping and overacting, that press conference with the cast, his complaining, leaving a playoff game with like 6 minutes left during a blowout that he basically had alot to do with (-24), and leaving the game last night like Isaiah Thomas all sour, not shaking anyone's hands. it's just getting a rather tiresome.

I was OK with "The Decision", OK with his return to Cleveland, but tired of him since he went to LA.

Curry is just a shooter as far as I'm concerned. Durant was easily their best player when he was there (I'm super tired of his whining too, probably worst of all). It's a shooter's league now, for sure, but he's not cracking my top 50 all time.

I don't specifically remember his MVPs, but I don't think I was super impressed with them (I rarely am), and probably didn't agree with them.

2014-15 he won the only unanimous MVP in league history, you might have not been impressed but voters were. he also contributed to a team that won 72 regular season games sans KD the following season (they didn't win it all, but 72 reg season wins is still impressive). sure, 'he's just a shooter' but what else do you expect from him considering his size? do you want him to throw it down or something? when he does go to the cup he has a sweet floater, and if he gets fouled his and 1 is pretty automatic. i get it, he isn't the best defender but he's no slouch. has lead the league in steals and is a total pest sometimes. i dunno, kinda hard to agree that he's 'overrated'.

Yeah they had 71 wins with a stacked team in a soft, watered down league. It's even worse now than when Nash won back to back MVPs. The voting is as political as anything, so not impressive to me.

He's not a true point guard either, not that there's really any left, sans Paul.

Yes he's got records for 3's made and attempted (unless Harden beat his attempts record), but 3 point shooting is up about 11 000% since the shot was introduced 50 years ago. That's not an exaggeration.

He's much better at making them than most, and has better range. But hitting threes doesn't make a great all around player.

I'd take him over just about any PG today of course (way, way, way before Westbrook), but he's not an all time great to me. He's perfect for today's league though, stretches the floor better than anyone.

---------------------------------------------

I would like to raise the question of what does a "Great all-around player" even mean? Basketball in the NBA has always been about scoring. Offense has always been more important than defense. So a why can't a prolific scorer like Curry (yes, in addition to 3-point shooting) be one of the all-time greats?

I second the sentiment that the league today is this way because of Curry. Look at those 2017-19 Warriors teams. KD was the best player, but he wasn't as crucial to that team as Curry was. Just look at the win-loss numbers with GS missing KD or Curry and it's clear that Curry *is* the system that won the Warriors 3 championships.

The most baffling takes to me is always that Curry is "just a shooter". Watch a game and you'd know that Curry drives better than most point guards in the league, his handles are second to only Kyrie, and his ability to create for teammates is also definitely top 5. Not to mention that he has improved himself as a defender significantly in the last few years.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:
    who's your top 50 btw?
    I'm not going to try and list the 50 best all-time players.  It would take too long and I just got home from working the night shift.

Thanks for laughing at my opinion, btw.

I'd like to request an admin to ban this account.  If not I'll delete it, but I'd honestly prefer my posts get deleted as well.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    ray_x03 said:
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said: Cory said:
    Chinaski said:
    Cory said: This board seems pretty insecure about LeBron.

---------------------------------------------

I would like to raise the question of what does a "Great all-around player" even mean? Basketball in the NBA has always been about scoring. Offense has always been more important than defense. So a why can't a prolific scorer like Curry (yes, in addition to 3-point shooting) be one of the all-time greats?

I second the sentiment that the league today is this way because of Curry. Look at those 2017-19 Warriors teams. KD was the best player, but he wasn't as crucial to that team as Curry was. Just look at the win-loss numbers with GS missing KD or Curry and it's clear that Curry *is* the system that won the Warriors 3 championships.

The most baffling takes to me is always that Curry is "just a shooter". Watch a game and you'd know that Curry drives better than most point guards in the league, his handles are second to only Kyrie, and his ability to create for teammates is also definitely top 5. Not to mention that he has improved himself as a defender significantly in the last few years. I'm not going to bother responding point by point as I'm not sticking around, so it would be pointless.  But I will say this.

All you've done is given subjective arguments, and I don't agree or feel strongly enough to continue, and I'm not Skip Bayless being paid to argue for the sake of arguing.  And "Offense has always been more important than defense." is basically the complete antithesis of not just the NBA, but all sports from the dawn of time.

I gave my thoughts, throughout the night, on my breaks.  I didn't have time to sit down and fully construct my best argument, and I don't feel I need to.  I feel extra sure in my initial assessment.
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:
    who's your top 50 btw?
    I'm not going to try and list the 50 best all-time players.  It would take too long and I just got home from working the night shift.

I'd like to request an admin to ban this account.  If not I'll delete it, but I'd honestly prefer my posts get deleted as well.
    dang, sorry man. wasn't trying to be a dick and really sorry if i came off that way. i thought it was just  back and forth on why we thought what we thought. i don't think anyone said anything to the point to get 'banned'. anyway, sorry again if you took anything i said the wrong way. i won't comment further on this.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:
    who's your top 50 btw?

dang, sorry man. wasn't trying to be a dick and really sorry if i came off that way. i thought it was just  back and forth on why we thought what we thought. i don't think anyone said anything to the point to get 'banned'. anyway, sorry again if you took anything i said the wrong way. i won't comment further on this.

You misunderstand, I was asking for my own account banned, as if I delete myself it won't remove all my posts.

Either way I'm done here , too clique-y and I don't fit in.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:
    who's your top 50 btw?

You misunderstand, I was asking for my own account banned, as if I delete myself it won't remove all my posts.

Either way I'm done here , too clique-y and I don't fit in.
    Yeah you do fit in here, dude, come on Cory! I’m a Steph Curry hater too! Don’t go out like this man! I’m so god damn tired of cool people leaving. 
    Noel
    yeah don't go man. i honestly wasn't coming from a negative pov. i think you're a rad dude, we've had some really fun sports discussions. plus we'll need to discuss when The A's and Cards play in the World Series this October ;)
    Hawks look like they’re going to mow thru the Sixers this series for the upset.  Up 20 at the half....Trae on pace for a 50 piece...like who is going to stop Trae in the playoffs? That floater is deadly and he’s raining 3s from logos. Wasn’t Simmons a DPOY candidate this year and you’re not on Trae? I don’t know how you’re gonna win games giving up 74 pts in the 1st half.  It’s cold in Philly this afternoon.  
    cdrive said:
    Hawks look like they’re going to mow thru the Sixers this series for the upset.  Up 20 at the half....Trae on pace for a 50 piece...like who is going to stop Trae in the playoffs? That floater is deadly and he’s raining 3s from logos. Wasn’t Simmons a DPOY candidate this year and you’re not on Trae? I don’t know how you’re gonna win games giving up 74 pts in the 1st half.  It’s cold in Philly this afternoon.  
    that ended up a lot closer, talk about a tale of 2 halves. can an interim head coach be in the running for coach of the year? ATL did a complete turnaround when Nate McMillan took over.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I’m down bad. I really wanted this team to do more. This one hurt, not gonna lie.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Noel said:
    I’m down bad. I really wanted this team to do more. This one hurt, not gonna lie.

I don't think about Kawhi that much because the Clippers are always destined to under perform, but he really fucked you guys. Every time he took a shot, especially towards the end of the game, you just knew it was going in. The defense on Luka when he was going for that hero 3 at the end, I don't know what else Luka could have done Kawhi just is that dude. When the Clippers are on they're as talented as anyone and you guys were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Noel
    dang, i was not expecting BRK to mow over MIL like that, esp sans Harden. :#
    30 pt lead going into the 4th!?! wrap your starters up with ice; game is over!  Harden is calling clubs in Milwaukee tonight making reservations for this week. No need to rush back for this series.

Stoked about the Suns tonight. Booker pulled into the arena with that #SlabLife swag. He’s gonna drop 40. 

Noel
    edited June 8
    Noel said:
    Sorry man, from south of you on I-45. Do you think that’s it for Rick Carlisle? Always considered elite and I agree, but man...something like 7 of the 9 last playoff appearances with 1st round exits?  
    Noel
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    cdrive said:
    Noel said:
    Sorry man, from south of you on I-45. Do you that’s it for Rick Carlisle? Always considered elite and I agree, but man...something like 7 of the 9 last playoff appearances with 1st round exits?  
    Man, that’s a tough one. I didn’t think I’d be as torn on Rick as I am. For me, it’s not about the basketball knowledge. I just don’t think he’s a good fit for what would make the Mavs flourish. He feels too rigid or something. Need a coach willing to ride the waves of chaos a little more. It feels 60-40 with 60% of the city wanting him out. I’m in the 40 camp but I’m only willing to give it one more season. Can’t waste anymore prime Luka years.
    cdrive
    good lord, KD is so goddamn good!
    edited June 16
    Durantula, man. Been amazed since UT to the Supersonics to what happened tonight. Wow. I wish he made that 2nd to last FT though to get a 50 pt triple double.  I think it will go to game 7 still. 
    cdrive said:
    Been amazed since UT to the Supersonics to what happened tonight
    you missed a stop ;)
    Chinaski said:
    cdrive said:
    Been amazed since UT to the Supersonics to what happened tonight
    you missed a stop ;)
    Sorry, OKC  :p
    Chinaski
    thank you! show some respect to the Sooner State!  :D
    cdrive
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    I thought with Irving out and Harden hobbled, the Nets would be doomed. That's a no.
  • Was that the best playoff performance by a player....ever?  I guess Jordan vs Utah would rank higher because it was in the finals when the series was tied 2-2, but damn did KD ever play a game for the history books tonight.
  • Damn Chris Paul out indefinitely, COVID protocols. Hopefully he gets cleared before the next round starts.