NBA 2021 Thread

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Kawhi apparently out tonight with a knee and in doubt for the rest of the series. This playoffs is being defined by injuries
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    jeez, Kawhi now too? he's basically been the reason why LAC are still in it. you're not kidding, injuries are def a huge factor this playoff season. i was actually surprised how much Harden played last night. when i heard he was a go i was expecting like 20-30 mins, not 46!

on a coaching note.. Stan Van Gundy out after only 1 year in NOLA. i'm not surprised tbh, that was an odd hire from the start. i think that's a pretty nice spot to get hired into if you're a HC. they have some talented young pieces (Zion obviously). maybe they'll give Becky Hammon a shot. really hoping someone does.
    damn, that's unfortunate.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Shambomb - Kawhi ACL tear. Wow what the actual fuck.  That sucks.  
    cdrive said:
    there goes his 21-22 season. sucks the NBA will lose a talent like that next season. wish him the best and a speedy recovery.
    Chinaski said:
    cdrive said:
    there goes his 21-22 season. sucks the NBA will lose a talent like that next season. wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

Doesn't he also have an opt out of after next year? Not that he would leave necessarily but considering the contortions and short term moves the Clippers did to get Kawhi and PG over there for a two year window that would be a huge blow.
    Chinaski said:
    cdrive said:

Doesn't he also have an opt out of after next year? Not that he would leave necessarily but considering the contortions and short term moves the Clippers did to get Kawhi and PG over there for a two year window that would be a huge blow.
    The gravity and future implications are pretty big. 6 days from the lottery…. 
    edited June 17
    after 2021, the Clippers don't have a 1st round pick till 2027. OKC on the other hand (including this year) has like 17 1st round picks (33 total picks) till 2027! :D
    4 from us and 4 from the Clippers. Thanks for the reminder! That Westbrook trade gutted us.  :(
    Noel said:
    cdrive said:
    Noel said:
    I’m down bad. I really wanted this team to do more. This one hurt, not gonna lie.
    Sorry man, from south of you on I-45. Do you that’s it for Rick Carlisle? Always considered elite and I agree, but man...something like 7 of the 9 last playoff appearances with 1st round exits?  
    Man, that’s a tough one. I didn’t think I’d be as torn on Rick as I am. For me, it’s not about the basketball knowledge. I just don’t think he’s a good fit for what would make the Mavs flourish. He feels too rigid or something. Need a coach willing to ride the waves of chaos a little more. It feels 60-40 with 60% of the city wanting him out. I’m in the 40 camp but I’m only willing to give it one more season. Can’t waste anymore prime Luka years.
    there you go, Rick Carlisle is out. lotsa coaching openings this off-season.
    Noel
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    It’s crazy how fast everything is happening. I want to stay positive and hope that this is a fresh start for everyone still involved.
    Noel said:
    It’s crazy how fast everything is happening. I want to stay positive and hope that this is a fresh start for everyone still involved.
    from what i've heard is Donnie Nelson's exit didn't sit well with a handful of people, including Luka.
    Chinaski said:
    Noel said:
    cdrive said:
    Noel said:
    I’m down bad. I really wanted this team to do more. This one hurt, not gonna lie.
    Sorry man, from south of you on I-45. Do you that’s it for Rick Carlisle? Always considered elite and I agree, but man...something like 7 of the 9 last playoff appearances with 1st round exits?  
    Man, that’s a tough one. I didn’t think I’d be as torn on Rick as I am. For me, it’s not about the basketball knowledge. I just don’t think he’s a good fit for what would make the Mavs flourish. He feels too rigid or something. Need a coach willing to ride the waves of chaos a little more. It feels 60-40 with 60% of the city wanting him out. I’m in the 40 camp but I’m only willing to give it one more season. Can’t waste anymore prime Luka years.
    there you go, Rick Carlisle is out. lotsa coaching openings this off-season.
    Portland, NOLA, now Dallas…anyone else I’m missing? Danny Ainge replaced by Brad Stevens for Celtics President although I don’t know how that would  affect anything.  Oh and the Pacers! Cause people were saying D’Antoni should go to Indiana. Man that’s a lot of coaching changes!  

@Noel what is going on in Dallas?  Luka has beef with Mavs office? Cuban tweeted “complete bullshit”, but then apparently it wasn’t complete bullshit? Is Luka not happy in Dallas? 
    Washington and Orlando too
    cdrive
    I really really really hope Sammie Cassell gets a head coach job….it’s his time, he deserves it. 
    Chinaski
    Oh man this is bruuuutal.  I talk a lot of shit for basketball reasons but I really do feel bad for Dallas.

https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1405636744016318464?s=21
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    @Chinaski @cdrive My bad fellas, been getting crushed with work all week, finally done for the week though! Anyways.

I’ve been going through my thoughts about Carlisle leaving pretty much all day. Been listening to The Ticket (my local station) and have been trying to keep up with my various group texts. I think I’m ok with moving on from him, it’s just the timing of it all makes me nervous. You get this article that Cuban calls bullshit on and RIGHT after that shit hits the fan. It’s pretty damn suspicious. I just don’t like the general vibe of the team and I’m sure Luka is sorting through his own feelings. Listen, hopefully this doesn’t bite me in the ass one day but I know Luka will sign the mega deal. It’s $200mil! But from there, the entire front office is on a 4-5 year clock to get this shit right and make the Mavs a contender for the title. It’s the nature of the league and also, the Mavs haven’t done themselves any favors these past couple seasons to make anyone trust them. Yes, they’ve gotten better every season but a lot of misses with the guys they’ve acquired. Anyone not named Luka has potential to be dealt to another team. 

As far as who the future coach is, I think the obvious choice is Mosely but I wouldn’t be surprised if they went outside of the team. I don’t know shit about GMs but I’ll read into it soon since I know that person will be hired first.
    Chinaskicdrive
    what a game! KD is such a savage! good lord!
  • Just wow that Durant shot to tie it. Game 7 OT!!
    Coach Mike Budenholzer looks like my world history teacher from high school that was kind of a prick.
    Noel
    Major consequences and major drama coming to the Nets. We own their picks for the next 7 yrs. Nets held the bag on Harden. Popping some popcorn. 
    MrXNoel
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    What a wild few days. The Suns I saw coming but the Hawks?! Damn, I guess the coaching change really turned their season around big time.
    My brother in law / best man grew up in Philly. Let’s just say I’m gonna give him a 2-day buffer.  :#
    Noel
    Sixers fans seem extremely done with Simmons. What do you do with a player that talented who cannot shoot at all? It's such a liability the way games are played now.

Something I've never really been able to understand, how can you be a professional basketball player and not be able to make a free throw with any kind of consistency? There's no wind, the basket is in the same place, literally I can do it, you can practice it whenever you want, so wtf?
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Sixers fans seem extremely done with Simmons. What do you do with a player that talented who cannot shoot at all? It's such a liability the way games are played now.

Something I've never really been able to understand, how can you be a professional basketball player and not be able to make a free throw with any kind of consistency? There's no wind, the basket is in the same place, literally I can do it, you can practice it whenever you want, so wtf?
    Pretty sure players have outright admitted their FT percentages are waaay higher granny style but they would never do it in a game because of looks. And we all know the NBA is full of prima donas. If there’s any league that’s negatively impacted by ME players…it’s the NBA. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    All the analysts are like “trade him!”

for what? His value is at an all time Low. He makes way too much money. He’s talented but he needs to go to a team with 2 bona fide shooters. I’m sure a team will trade for him but I don’t think they will get a major haul for him
    I’m so glad the Rockets didn’t trade for Simmons and went with Nets picks.  We were getting roasted by NBA Twitter with “yOu sHoULdA pUsHeD fOr sImMoNs”. Dodged a bullet. 

HatorianNoel