For All Mankind (spoilers through latest episode)

edited March 10 in Other TV
Couldn’t find a thread for this show, I figured since the boys are covering it now on OTC I’d get one going. What are people thinking about Season 2 so far? I’m 100% in with the Gordo redemption arc. 

The Baldwin scene in this last episode was simply phenomenal; I hadn’t gotten that emotional in a show since The Leftovers was airing. I loved how they portrayed the healthy family dynamic and stuck with them from the explosion through the resolution. I can’t help but think back to blowouts I’ve had and wish we could have handled it like they did. I think Ed is definitely putting himself back in space soon as a result of this emotional breakthrough. His grief led him to deny his life’s passion in an effort to ensure his family’s safety, but I think he can now accept that life happens regardless of where he is and get back to his calling. 

Comments

• A couple things really irked me in season 1: the entire Shane storyline and the Ellen/Larry investigation stuff. Maybe it's just that I really hate seeing bad/backwards parenting and really tired of seeing LGBT storylines that centres on hiding identities because of public image concerns.

But season 2 is turning my view on the Shane stuff, as it seems to have really transformed the Baldwin family. The scene in 203 is definitely powerful, and I have to say they've done a good job on resolving that arc.

I have no clue as to where this season will go, and I don't really care to speculate on it. I'm mostly looking forward to what made Alan Sepinwall say that the last few episodes are as good as any episode of TV in the last decade. 

Also: maybe put spoilers in brackets on the title of the thread as we're discussing both seasons here
    EMAW42
  • Wow I really can’t decide what I think is going to happen with Gordo. Clearly his past is still haunting him but the show is walking a tight line; the VCR, the space suit, and the ants all led to near panic attacks. However, his attacks have largely originated from the fear his hallucinations have come back, but the VCR lights and ants turned out to be real. He went to therapy and is fully committed. I don’t think he should go back to space, but that doesn’t mean he can’t succeed. Do we think he’ll be able to handle it? 

If Baldwin’s wife ends up banging Gordo’s kid I will be so pissed off. It’s clear he’s infatuated with her, but I think it would be really out of character for her to do that. After the last episode where they showed such a healthy and strong family dynamic I will feel some serious whiplash if she goes full cougar just because Ed is being a bit reckless. 
  • EMAW42 said:
    Wow I really can’t decide what I think is going to happen with Gordo. Clearly his past is still haunting him but the show is walking a tight line; the VCR, the space suit, and the ants all led to near panic attacks. However, his attacks have largely originated from the fear his hallucinations have come back, but the VCR lights and ants turned out to be real. He went to therapy and is fully committed. I don’t think he should go back to space, but that doesn’t mean he can’t succeed. Do we think he’ll be able to handle it? 

If Baldwin’s wife ends up banging Gordo’s kid I will be so pissed off. It’s clear he’s infatuated with her, but I think it would be really out of character for her to do that. After the last episode where they showed such a healthy and strong family dynamic I will feel some serious whiplash if she goes full cougar just because Ed is being a bit reckless. 
    Let me praise the show first: I'm always nervous when watching a launch of anything. The show has trained me well enough to not expect main characters like Tracy to survive. Also, Pathfinder looks very cool.

I feel like the Gordo stuff must be building up to something catastrophic? I don't like how Ed handled Gordo's panic attack though. I doubt Gordo's kid and Karen will sleep with each other - the Baldwin marriage seems very intact. Also I think it's one thing for Karen to say that she can handle it, and completely different when Ed almost fucking died flying a plane (Again), so I wouldn't blame her if she loses it next week

EMAW42
  • https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/ronald-d-moore-interview-for-all-mankind-season-2-finale-star-trek-battlestar

Some insight into the future of the show - what excites me is the 7-year arc that was pitched... and it certainly seems as long as Apple keeps paying for this thing the story will go well beyond the 2020s
  • edited April 24
    They know how to make a finale.  Pacing was so good. 
  • I just started watching a few weeks ago and didn't even realize that the season 2 finale was just coming out just in time for me to catch it. What a great show! Just a few thoughts, including major spoilers:
    - the transition from lunar landings to tiny moon base to much bigger moon base were SO cool. I like the time jumps and seeing all the changes that happened.
    - it's really interesting in general to see how this space race makes some things in society more progressive (more women astronauts, engineers, executive staff) while also upping the paranoia over the Cold War and anything that could give the Soviets any advantage.
    - I'm super pissed that Karen slept with Danny. I really enjoyed her character development with running a business and loosening up from the buttoned-down 1960s housewife, and I think she's a really good mom to Kelly. I thought the Baldwin family was stronger than ever after their emotional confrontation. It was such a bad decision on her part to cross that line with Danny, and then to tell Ed about right before a critical and risky mission. And at the end of the finale, I wanted her to be able to hug and comfort Danny, especially after Tracy had helped her through Shane's death, but she couldn't be there for him after all that.
    - I loved the Gordo redemption arc and I did not expect he and Tracy to both die. That was a gut punch, but I do appreciate a show with real stakes.
    - the escalating tensions and violence between the US and the Soviets really brought back that Cold War fear that anyone who is old enough to remember that time will definitely recall well. The Cosmonaut outside with the gun in the penultimate episode, followed by the invasion of several more through the broken windows was chilling.
    - I was surprised at the reveal of the KGB using Sergei to get to Margot. She's too smart for that, right? Do they think that just because she gave him the hint about the O rings in order to save lives, that she'll help them?

Well, now that I've blown through all the episodes, I guess I'll have to wait patiently with everyone else for the next season! Maybe a rewatch in the meantime...
    ElisaEMAW42
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 6
    Just finished my two-season binge, and wow, this definitely lives up to the hype from bald move and others!

Will collect my thoughts and write down some more specifics about what I really liked ... but in the meantime something that really stuck in my mind is how this show is the closest to matching the vibe of Halt and Catch Fire since that show ended.

I do think the character/relationship development was better in Halt (from what we've seen so far from FAM at least) - but Halt did have the advantage of a smaller core cast and less plot-driven stakes. But overall the progression over multiple "eras" resonates in both shows quite well.

Also, I chuckle whenever one of Moore's signature "jump-zooms in space" from BSG makes it into this show. I'm always expecting the space-battle drums to kick in.
  • Just finished S2 ... really great.

Prediction for Season 3: The boot we saw on Mars was a Taikonaut!
    If the US and Russian (Soviet Union?) have some kind of peace and/or cooperative agreement, I think that China would be the next logical "advisory" for the show.

Can't wait for full coverage of this next season!

- bror.00 AKA JABD on twitch/twitter
    EMAW42