Zach Synder Justice League

2»

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX

1.  I didn't see enough of the movie to see the Batmobile  I've always been of the opinion that the Batmobile should be more like a fancy sports car that can reasonably blend in (but still stand out, ha!).  Like whatever car he drives when he picks of the Flash, that would be what I would use as the Batmobile.

It should be black, have a GIGANTIC hood, and wing things on the back of it. That's the image of the Batmobile burned into my head from when I was a kid, and as a nostalgic 30 something they are trying to pander to that's how I demand they make it.
    Agreed. 89 Batman and Batman The Animated Series are definitely the best versions of the Batmobile.
    Same! Animated Series Batmobile closely edging out Tim Burton’s Batmobile.  
    Murderbear
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited March 23
    So, from the perspective of someone who never saw the first cut of Justice League...The Snyder Cut was not the complete trash that I was anticipating it to be: Was it a very Zack Snyder Snyder movie? Totally. But the guy does know how to do flashy visuals, and pair it with intense music. It is abundantly obvious he comes from a music video background. I got over the screen dimensions quicker than I anticipated. I understand the irritation by them, but they weren't awful. 

I am certainly glad it came out this way. I am sure the action would have looked great on a big screen, but that run time is nothing to joke about. I appreciated that it was cut into chapters. It felt like I could take a break and do something else without trying to soldier on.

The story...I have no clue what was even happening except for there was a hunt for those boxes and everyone is grieving and scared about Superman being gone. Seeing the previous movies, no one was all that ecstatic about Superman even being around. Superman himself wasn't even that happy to be around. So it was just hard to be expected to care about characters that the filmmaker seems to have gone out of his way to show that we shouldn't care about.

I liked Cyborg's story more than I expected to. But in general, this felt like watching a video game on screen. Character interaction for the purpose of moving into the next action scene. The visuals are gorgeous and occasionally some shoddy effect work. But it was incredibly polished. Some of these movies that are premiering on digital, it is hard for me to remember that they were intended to be seen on a big screen. This was not one of those movies. The whole thing just felt big. It had an ominous dread to it, and I appreciate that they managed to accomplish it. Steppenwolf was amazing to look at. His character design was just something to see. 

I can see why the fans are so excited about it. And I can see why people who were not initially excited came away surprised. It is not the dumpster fire that lots of critics were worried about. But that doesn't automatically make this a good movie just because it catches you off-guard. It is also a movie that is almost impossible to view without some sort of baggage. So, to that end, it has to be difficult to review without taking that stuff into account.

It is also a weird movie to watch knowing that this will most likely lead nowhere. Maybe Marvel has me too trained to be excited about the next thing and what this movie is leading up to; and since this is leading to nothing, it is hard to get that pumped. You start to feel this even more acutely as the movie starts peppering in hints at was going to be the next story for these characters.

The saddest thing is having a real rock star cast of actors who, overall did admirably in their roles, but got wasted. It is a real bummer that Henry Cavill didn't get a chance to be more of a fun Superman. Or a Superman that at least seemed like he wasn't dour as fuck.

At the end of the day, it feels sad that there was so much talent in general involved with this movie, great visual design, amazing music, extremely competent action scenes, a great cast. It just feels like lots of wasted potentials.
    Murderbear
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I liked it *ducks*

In all seriousness, I had a feeling going in after seeing it was a 4 hour movie to not have high expectations. And for someone who has not watched the first Justice League since I saw it in theatres (because why would you?), I did enjoy a lot of this movie. 4 hours is too long for really any movie but I will say it didn't feel like a drudge, I mean as much as a 4 hour movie can avoid that. The character backstories and world building was clearly much better than the original version. I liked the addition of Darkseid, who I don't remember being in the original one. They didn't delve much into the backstory but enough you knew he was the big player and gives you something to build towards in future movies. Whether they do that or do it well remains to be seen. Overall I would give it a solid 7.5/10.

I also liked the black Superman suit *ducks again*
    WarpedCore
  • I actually think Snyder is an interesting visual director. I would love to see him get a movie where he directed but the script was tightly controlled by someone else. 
    Murderbear
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    asmallcat said:
    I actually think Snyder is an interesting visual director. I would love to see him get a movie where he directed but the script was tightly controlled by someone else. 
    That would be very interesting. Unfortunately he isn't just a director now. He is a visionary. 
    MurderbearHatorian
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 23
    asmallcat said:
    I actually think Snyder is an interesting visual director. I would love to see him get a movie where he directed but the script was tightly controlled by someone else. 

Dawn of the Dead is pretty well regarded and was written by James Gunn - was also Snyder's first film so probably was the least amount of control he had over a movie.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    MrX said:
    Dawn of the Dead is pretty well regarded and was written by James Gunn - was also Snyder's first film so probably was the least amount of control he had over a movie.

Yeah, he did OK with that one

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Dawn of the dead 2002 is my favourite American zombie movie

Tense opening scen
    Zombaby
    fast zombies 

cdrive
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    kuman07 said:
     I liked the addition of Darkseid, who I don't remember being in the original one. They didn't delve much into the backstory but enough you knew he was the big player and gives you something to build towards in future movies. Whether they do that or do it well remains to be seen. Overall I would give it a solid 7.5/10.

I also liked the black Superman suit *ducks again*
    No Darkseid in the original from what I remember, plus him being in this one was part of the buzz leading up to this cut.
    When Zeus(?) hit him in the chest with that axe I couldn't help but think "You should have gone for the head!"

Am I the only one who couldn't stand Barry Allen?  Way too goofy for me, like a poor man's MCU Peter Parker.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Cory said:

Am I the only one who couldn't stand Barry Allen?  Way too goofy for me, like a poor man's MCU Peter Parker.

He's a good example of the humor in this movie being off from what I would prefer.  It was weird to watch a superhero movie very much 'not for me' when so many of the Marvel ones worked for me, as did the first Wonder Woman.
    Cory
    I lost all respect for that actor when he got caught in video choking and slamming a seemingly friendly but drunk fan. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    24 minutes of slow motion :D
    awookiee
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Hatorian said:
    I lost all respect for that actor when he got caught in video choking and slamming a seemingly friendly but drunk fan. 
    Who?
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Cory said:
    Hatorian said:
    Who?
    https://youtu.be/-HcZrioDR1Y

That’s the video
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    WTF?