• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Yes! Did I miss the when?
    next Thursday (4/1).
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 27
    Chinaski said:
    Here we go!! 

Where is the 'love' button?  :heart:
    I'm so excited for this season.  Oregon is close to my heart; not only is it just beautiful and so close in proximity to me, but I also have family in Hood River and my 2x great grandfather, who settled the family in the area, planted acres upon acres of orchards and started a packing plant in the Fruit Loop, both of which are still in operation to this day.  (Not gonna dox myself & say which one. :smile: )  It'll be really cool to see them roaming around that area.  Plus there are some *amazing* rising star chefs competing this season!  
    Chinaski
    How have we not been talking about this season since it started???

I'm loving it.  I think it's maybe one of my favorite seasons already.  I definitely have my chefs that I'm rooting for, have my thoughts on who's going to be going home next, etc.  I do think that the people who have been eliminated so far pretty much deserved to be, mayyyyybe with the exception of this week (although you really need to watch LCK).

Of course we all know how much I loved last week's episode set in Hood River/Mt. Hood area.  I've been through so many of the orchards there that I was hoping they'd be set up somewhere I'd actually been, but I do know where they were and it's a beautiful setting (seeing it on tv didn't do it justice).  And I loved that they really leaned into the popularity and deliciousness of the fruit, especially right off the tree (which just hits different).  

I really liked this week's episode also.  The rose-related quickfire was pretty cool and very interesting.  I'd never thought of using rose in those ways.  and the makeshift drive in was just fun.  I thought Dawn was going to catch hell for doing popcorn but that popcorn was a huge hit, especially with Tom (you know when a chef tips the container, licks a plate or the bowl, etc that the food was *good*).

I think at this point I'm rooting for Avishar, Shota, Sarah, Byron, Gabe Erales, Dawn, and *maybe* Maria.  She's been having a bit of a hard time lately but she came through last night.  I think she just needed that fire lit.

Looking forward to next week!
    Chinaski
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Yay. Bring @Chinaski in here too. We’ve been loving this season! 
    MichelleChinaski
    cdrive said:
    Yay. Bring @Chinaski in here too. We’ve been loving this season! 
    You guys gotta listen to the Pack Your Knives podcast.  It’s two guys who are actually more affiliated with sports media but are also super knowledgeable about food too.  They love the show & do a great podcast on each episode.  And they actually do a fantasy draft of the cheftestants at the beginning of each season & do the running scores throughout. :smile:
    cdriveChinaski
    just watched the latest episode. it was a really fun ep. loved the drive in theater format and that they didn't take themselves too serious. i mean, someone made popcorn! at this point i don't really have a clear cut favorite. what i do know is i'm not a fan of Gabe from Portland. he just comes off as smug and his cauliflower tots were extremely unimpressive.
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    just watched the latest episode. it was a really fun ep. loved the drive in theater format and that they didn't take themselves too serious. i mean, someone made popcorn! at this point i don't really have a clear cut favorite. what i do know is i'm not a fan of Gabe from Portland. he just comes off as smug and his cauliflower tots were extremely unimpressive.
    Not a fan of Gabriel!
    Chinaskicdrive
    Oh man my heart did a little flip thinking you meant Gabe instead of Gabriel. Same on Gabriel. Really like Gabe. Also like Dawn, Shota, Sara, and Avishar. Watching the latest one tonight.... 
    ChinaskiMichelle
    cdrive said:
    Oh man my heart did a little flip thinking you meant Gabe instead of Gabriel. Same on Gabriel. Really like Gabe. Also like Dawn, Shota, Sara, and Avishar. Watching the latest one tonight.... 
    haha nah, Gabe from El Paso is one of my favs. Gabriel  from Portland can kick rocks.
    cdriveMichelle
    edited May 2
    Gabriel strikes again!  If Jamie just listened to herself with her White Castle slider idea instead of Gabriel mowing over her with his stupid chicken wing idea then she wouldn’t have gone home.  I have to say that’s on her though. Have to take responsibility and stick up for yourself. He tried to do that to Dawn too and the Houston came out in her when she was like “nuh-huh, I don’t do under-seasoned food.” And her ribs carried him that challenge.  Man Gabriel needs to sit down.  Like when he said he doesn’t have a good relationship with his mother, my wife said “well that explains a lot.”  Top Chef is definitely gonna keep him on though cause they love a good villain.

ChinaskiMichelle
    yeah that guy sucks. and so did his tots apparently. i'm gonna miss Jamie's funny sounds.
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    yeah that guy sucks. and so did his tots apparently. i'm gonna miss Jamie's funny sounds.
    Pssttt I know you don’t like LCK, so you probably didn’t watch, but... you might not have to miss her for long. :wink:  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    100% agree on Gabriel. But guessing the producers will keep him around. Malarkey is on Pack Your Knives and it is super interesting to hear his take on who will go and who will win. 

I have to disagree on Jamie. Her food seemed good but those noises. Maybe it was cute when she was 5 but as an adult? As ridiculous as done who intentionally snorts when they laugh. Both horrible ways to get attention. 

I hope Dawn and Sarah do well. I got a bit nervous when she made popcorn but it was a hit!
    cdrive
    Jamie's back, baby!  *makes a bumch of weird mouth noises*

But... Avishar... :heartbreak:
    I was looking at Shota's insta the other day and it seems like he and Avi stayed close after the show wrapped, so that's good. :)   
    Chinaskicdrive
    happy Jamie (and her corky sounds) are back! she came back strong too! good for her. not gonna lie though, i was expecting to see Gabriel come back from LCK. glad that wasn't the case. 

what i'm really enjoying about this season is how much they all genuinely support and like each other. next episode (Restaurant Wars) will be the true test as that's usually when the claws come out.
    cdriveMichelle
    edited May 22
    What did you guys think of this season’s version of restaurant wars?  I’m on the fence but leaning toward really liking what they did in order to still have some form of the competition.

Soooooo happy for Maria’s win!  Finally!

Still trying to figure out why Sara was so okay with FOH when she had zero experience with it at that point.  Bad decision, as was that cream sauce all over the place. 

I really want to try that kelp ice cream with the coconut meringue and hazelnuts!  It must have been so delicious!  Dale had no shame in his game - “can we do this one again?”  lol
    Chinaskicdrive
    i didn't mind that version of restaurant wars. in one way it was easier than the traditional cause they didn't have to cook for a packed restaurant (i mean they were able to focus on cooking for like 10 people as oppose to 50+ in a busy restaurant). but on the other hand the stress of having the judges RIGHT THERE as they are cooking and putting their dishes together seems like it could rattle some nerves.

as far as the challenge went, talk about night and day with those 2 teams. that first team was like well-oiled machine and just killed it! the second team was basically the opposite, what a mess. it got pretty uncomfortable and cringe at certain points :# . as far as their food goes, aside from that ice cream nothing really looked very good to me. it was just all over the place.

i bet it must have really sucked to be standing a few feet away during judges table as the judges told the team you just lost to how awesome they were.
    Michelle
    Alright let me just blurt out all my thoughts!

I knew it was going to be Sara. Chris nailed dessert and his tortellini dish was a winner minus the pasta. And why did they let him do pasta again!? He’s banned from pasta. I can’t believe he used whole eggs thinking that would make it less dry. It would just make it less pasta. His dryness issue was he made that striped stuff too thick and didn’t cook it right.

I love the word Corazon. I love the world play with their name. It was so obvious man, two of us and two of them. Asian-Latinx fusion. This ain’t no Korean burrito fusion food truck. It made soooo much sense to marry that together and just stick to your core cooking self.  I thought the name Penny was cute too but just like their restaurant, no theme or significance to the food.

When teams were made I was like...well a Gabe, Dawn, Sara team is loaded. They only got Shota. (Those are my top 4).  But Shota is right - they’re the party team. And they were so smart to evenly divide the logistics / business and service shit on a much scaled down level since it’s not cooking for 100. Not cooking for 100 but man it’s like a telecaster...every little flub with be amplified to max cringe - you gotta be on point! Chefs service style you are so intimate, so under a microscope, you need even more so to make them feel VIP. When Team Penny decided that since it’s not cooking for 100 then just wing it with those roles I immediately said ohhhhhhh damn that was a big mistake.

And when Team Kokoson was finished I was like ohhhhhh fffffuuuuughk I would HATE to have to follow that! Haha.  And yes @Chinaski that has to be the worst and I commented on that too when I saw how the losing team is 20 ft away listening to all the judges’ praise.  

Michelle
    Speaking of awkward moments, the silence between courses at Penny was deafening and really spoke volumes.
    cdrive
    Michelle said:
    Speaking of awkward moments, the silence between courses at Penny was deafening and really spoke volumes.
    :#
    was 2 eps behind and catching up now. i really enjoyed that 'replicate the recipe' challenge. what in the world was Chris thinking on doing ANOTHER pasta dish? <smh>

now i'm learning a whole lot about tofu.
    Michelle
    God, they really put Byron through the wringer on this one, between the tofu tournament and then again in LCK!
    Why that extra challenge when he beat Sarah in the head to head?  That should have been it, done, he's back in.
    It's almost like he did two elimination challenges.  Only for him to go home at the end.
    I will say it was entertaining though!

Michelle said:
    God, they really put Byron through the wringer on this one, between the tofu tournament and then again in LCK!
    Why that extra challenge when he beat Sarah in the head to head?  That should have been it, done, he's back in.
    It's almost like he did two elimination challenges.  Only for him to go home at the end.
    so Sarah won LCK? is she back now?

Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    so Sarah won LCK? is she back now?

Nope!  It was much more involved.  It was seriously like a whole 'nother challenge with the existing cheftestants.
    You'll have to watch.  It was insane.
    Chinaski
    Watching them recap last week's episode and Byron's loss in LCK just reminded me all over again how bummed I was that he lost.  I thought they really went a little overboard with how hard they made him work, between the elimination tourney and then the challenges in LCK, back to back.  I swear if I'm ever in Aspen I'm making reservations well in advance for 7908 so I can experience his food.  The menu looks amazing.

https://7908aspen.com/eat/#sea
    tried to look for LCK on demand and only saw found the ep where he beat Sarah. so when they showed the re-cap in tonight's ep i had no idea what was going on, but connected the dots to what @Michelle was talking about.

tonight's episode was fun (esp the quickfire). Shota's beef and mushroom puree looked really good, but Gabe's overall dish FTW!i  wasn't expecting Jamie to try to give Maria her spot. this group of chefs really do care about each-other and it shows.
    Michelle
    edited June 11
    Chinaski said:
    tried to look for LCK on demand and only saw found the ep where he beat Sarah. so when they showed the re-cap in tonight's ep i had no idea what was going on, but connected the dots to what @Michelle was talking about.
    LCK is on the Bravo streaming channel, if you have it.  Otherwise, here:  https://www.bravotv.com/last-chance-kitchen/season-18/videos/bento-battle

I teared up when Jamie tried to leave in order to give Maria a second chance.  It was so selfless and so sweet.
    I agree, it's so lovely to see this cast who really truly care about and support one another. <3
    Chinaski
    Gosh, I'm so sorry to see Maria go.  I was really rooting for her, even if I knew she wouldn't win (I think it'll be Gabe, Shota, and mayyyybe Dawn but probably Jamie in the final 3).  She just unapologetically and beautifully showcased some amazing Mexican and southwest cuisine and made sure it was highlighted in every dish she cooked.  And omg, her food looks sooooooooo good.  Plus she's just a down-home, down to earth, good, decent person. :heart:
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Gosh, I'm so sorry to see Maria go.  I was really rooting for her, even if I knew she wouldn't win (I think it'll be Gabe, Shota, and mayyyybe Dawn but probably Jamie in the final 3).  She just unapologetically and beautifully showcased some amazing Mexican and southwest cuisine and made sure it was highlighted in every dish she cooked.  And omg, her food looks sooooooooo good.  Plus she's just a down-home, down to earth, good, decent person. :heart:
    she was really good and genuinely has a heart of gold, but i think her biggest downfall showcased in that elimination. which was confidence. i think once she watches back the season, learns from her mistakes, and realizes can she hang with the best of them. she elevate her cooking game. can't wait to see her back at some point.
    Michelle