Invincible (on Prime Video)

bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
I haven't heard much discussion about this so sorry if I missed a thread or something. It's an animated show based off a comic by Kirkman and I wasn't planning on watching it but the cast is so stacked I figured I'd give it a try. It's a superhero show about the kid of their version of Superman who has been late to develop powers and is trying to find himself as a superhero. I was pretty underwhelmed at first but there's a twist to it that makes it feel like more than a Marvel knockoff or an animated version of The Boys.

But mean look at this cast: Sandra Oh, J.K. Simmons, Steven Yeun, Zazie Beetz, Walton Goggins, Gillian Jacobs, Jason Mantzoukas, Zachary Quinto, Seth Rogen, Mark Hamill, Clancy Brown, Nicole Byer, Mahershala Ali, Jon Hamm and a bunch of other people you probably recognize. I guess a lot of people were available during quarantine.

Murderbear

Comments

• I've seen some good buzz about this, going to try to watch a couple episodes this weekend ... thanks for the reminder!
    bizmarkiefader
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Agreed! I went in knowing next to nothing and man oh man the ending to Episode 1 is wild. Obviously leaving it at that for the others.

I do like the animation style. Feels like the awesome DC cartoons. And yeah, the cast is insane! You can definitely see the Robert Kirkman influence as there is a LOT of Walking Dead cast in there.
    bizmarkiefader
  • Binged all three of the initial episodes. Didn’t read the graphic novel but I’m really enjoying it. 

If you like this, you might also enjoy Boom comics’ Irredeemable. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Watched the first episode after the Ringer spoiled it for me.  Blast them.  
  • I read this whole series a few years back. If they manage to continue with this level of faithfulness to the source material this thing is gonna be a banger. Not to mention the levels of violence that it reaches are basically unprecedented (to my meager knowledge) to "television" and superhero media. I honestly really love the comic version of the Walking Dead and this series is neck and neck with it in my view. Strap in...
  • This show is dope AF. So glad there is a thread for this!
  • Watched the first episode after the Ringer spoiled it for me.  Blast them.  

The amount of twists and turns this series will likely take... nothing is spoiled.
    Are people still watching? Man, episode 7 was probably my favorite so far. The show is not perfect but holy shit I am loving the ride! This show is great!
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Are people still watching? Man, episode 7 was probably my favorite so far. The show is not perfect but holy shit I am loving the ride! This show is great!

Maybe one of my favorite comic book things I've watched, it's really good and I look forward to it more every week. I would probably like it more if I hadn't been watching way too much super hero stuff lately (that Harley Quinn show is really good though).
    Murderbear
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    But mean look at this cast: Sandra Oh, J.K. Simmons

Upon my first speed-read of this post I thought the cast featured OJ Simpson....and I immediately agreed that they were making some bold choices.
  • I just binged everything up to episode 7 over the weekend, really enjoying it and can't wait to see where they take the story in the season finale!

Murderbear
  • Hey does anyone know if Jim or A-Ron have mentioned this show at all? I am like 110% sure they would really like it. I remember thinking the same thing when I first watch For All Man Kind. I’m surprised this show isn’t more popular than it is. Although it’s hard to tell now due to Covid and not really getting out as much.
     I’m surprised this show isn’t more popular than it is. Although it’s hard to tell now due to Covid and not really getting out as much.

I think it's pretty popular but a lot of people are coming to it late. I've seen at least a few people on twitter doing the "should I watch this?" and then 3 hours later "holy shit" thing.

MurderbearDarmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • edited April 29
    The show just got renewed for seasons 2 and 3. Excited to see where the finale and future seasons go!!
    Murderbearbizmarkiefader
    New episode came out earlier. Just finished. Holy shit. Definitely wanted this to be like a two hour episode but man oh man.

Only want to say, that Subway scene.....jaw on the floor. That's it. Enjoy!
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • New episode came out earlier. Just finished. Holy shit. Definitely wanted this to be like a two hour episode but man oh man.

Only want to say, that Subway scene.....jaw on the floor. That's it. Enjoy!
    Haha yeah that was crazy. It’s getting as gruesome as Evil Dead.
  • Might go and devour the comics this summer... has anyone here read them?
    My work computer is now the last thing I can actually sign in to here on so a little late but I loved that finale. Was not expecting anything quite that brutal.
  • Binged this recently and thought it was great. Really enjoyed it and I'm not a huge superheroes fan. Definitely the more adult version of the typical cheesy comic book superhero genre.

I read all the walking dead comics and really enjoyed those too so going to see if I can find a reasonable way to read these. 

I thought the animation and graphics were excellent. Looking forward to the the future seasons.
  • Great season, having read the comics I love how faithful the story, look, and feel of this show is. They made some minor changes but mostly stuck to the script. I can't remember if that subway scene was in the comics but I kind of think it wasn't. Bruuutal
    Byrdie said:
     I can't remember if that subway scene was in the comics but I kind of think it wasn't. Bruuutal

That was one of the most effective scenes in the whole show so if that's what they do when they go off script that seems like a good sign.
  • So I've recently read through about issue 25 in the comics and just have a few thoughts on the adaptation:

- Good call on diversifying the cast, i.e. having William be a LGBT+ character, Amber not be just another white girl, having Mark and Debbie be Asian

- Some of the jokes in these comics are cringe-worthy and definitely somewhat problematic for 2021... just think that when Mark first takes William flying, he utters "THIS IS SO GAY" - and SO DOES EVE (who is absolutely my fav in both the comics and the show)
    IF FLYING IS GAY, THEN IT'S VERY COOL TO BE GAY!!!

- Interesting to see that the episodic arcs of the show (e.g. the Flaxan invasion) were almost all dispersed in different issues that pop up now and again in the comics... I like the show much better for playing out the arcs in single episodes. This is where the 40+ minute runtime really helps

- Season 1's ending takes us through about Issue #13... out of 144. I wonder if the show can go on for about 4 more seasons.

- The way they handle Omni-Man's story after this is... unexpected and I'm guessing not everyone will be satisfied if they stick to the comics.

Overall I'd say I prefer the show to the comics, just for the diversity and how they've weaved the comic stories together very efficiently. Excited to see what's next in this adaptation.

Giovanni
  • William is a LGBT character in the comics as well he just isn't out from the get go like in the show. If interest picksup we are going to need a full spoiler thread like with TWD so we can talk about stuff like....

How I think Omni-Man's arc in the comics is very satisfying (if a little/very gross in stretches)
  • Byrdie said:
    William is a LGBT character in the comics as well he just isn't out from the get go like in the show. If interest picksup we are going to need a full spoiler thread like with TWD so we can talk about stuff like....

How I think Omni-Man's arc in the comics is very satisfying (if a little/very gross in stretches)
    Oh ok. I just haven't gotten to that part yet I guess. But nevertheless the gay jokes bothered me a lot...
    Byrdie
  • ray_x03 said:
    Byrdie said:
    William is a LGBT character in the comics as well he just isn't out from the get go like in the show. If interest picksup we are going to need a full spoiler thread like with TWD so we can talk about stuff like....

Oh ok. I just haven't gotten to that part yet I guess. But nevertheless the gay jokes bothered me a lot...
    Totally fair 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    ray_x03 said:
    Might go and devour the comics this summer... has anyone here read them?

I have read the entire run.  It is a great ride for the most part.  Kirkman runs out of steam at the end kind of like his Walking Dead book did, but it is really strong until the last 20 issues or so IMO.  Then you can tell he gets bored and starts wrapping things up very quickly.

Now this book went well over 100 plus issues so I'm talking about a long run of quality.

• Just finished it, and gotta say...this is one of the worst show I've seen in 2021.

Problems:
    • The reveal of the villain in the 1st episode and no follow up on the plot
    • way too many songs and montages
    • they waste way too much time in the training stuff
    • the creature from Alien was used just for the 2ns season and felt quite misplaced
    Things that would've made it better:
    • Omni-man slowly show his true intents rather than killing the other supes in literally 5 minutes. The plot would've been way too good with him gradually becoming menacing just like the blood splatters on the title card(This would eventually make sense to the comparison of Omni-man to Home lander more sense).
    • Reduce the training stuff into a single montage
    • Reduce all the teen drama
    • Make the wife investigation stuff more tense
    • and kill the mom so that it shows that Omni-Man will do anything for his planet's ultimate goal.