Mosquito Coast (Spoilers)

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
edited May 9 in Other TV
ok yeah, i'm in.

first off, i know Stockton, CA and i think they did a great job of portraying the location with the overhead shots and agriculture (the city itself is one of the worse places in CA imo.. which they briefly show at the end). second of all, why you gotta be so cool Justin Theroux? already killing it!. i got mad beard envy! thirdly, the last 2 acts were great imo.. def moved my BPM's. and lastly, Kevin Garvey back to raising a teenage girl with an attitude, and already dropped a good ole fashion 'Nope..;. loved it! already can't wait for next weeks ep!

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    hold the presses! Apple dropped TWO episodes to launch! hell to the yeah!
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I read the book ages ago and I've seen the Harrison Ford movie...I'm looking forward to the new series!
    it's quite different than than the book and movie as a heads up. still pretty cool that Justin Theroux's uncle wrote the book.
  • I think I'll be quite annoyed if we don't find out what Allie and Margot did to be on the run by the end of the season... so far the show doesn't seem to be interested in answering that at all. Also, did that rant about capitalism feel just a little jarring and out of place?
    ray_x03 said:
    I think I'll be quite annoyed if we don't find out what Allie and Margot did to be on the run by the end of the season... so far the show doesn't seem to be interested in answering that at all.
    i think they will eventually, but yeah i hope they don't milk it too long. i i feel like it's part of their getting the viewer to tune in next week formula.

ray_x03 said:
    Also, did that rant about capitalism feel just a little jarring and out of place?
    which one? Allie's or Dina's? either way, i didn't take it that way. to me i saw it as 'hmmm.. this dude hates the government. did he maybe worked for them at one point, do some f'd up shit and now that's why he's on the run?' and with Dina i just saw it as chip off the ole block.

it's obviously not perfect, but the first 2 eps got my attention enough where i'll continue to watch. the acting, shots, and music have stood out to me, so hoping the story goes in an upward direction.
  • Chinaski said:
    ray_x03 said:
    I think I'll be quite annoyed if we don't find out what Allie and Margot did to be on the run by the end of the season... so far the show doesn't seem to be interested in answering that at all.
    i think they will eventually, but yeah i hope they don't milk it too long. i i feel like it's part of their getting the viewer to tune in next week formula.

ray_x03 said:
    Also, did that rant about capitalism feel just a little jarring and out of place?
    which one? Allie's or Dina's? either way, i didn't take it that way. to me i saw it as 'hmmm.. this dude hates the government. did he maybe worked for them at one point, do some f'd up shit and now that's why he's on the run?' and with Dina i just saw it as chip off the ole block.

it's obviously not perfect, but the first 2 eps got my attention enough where i'll continue to watch. the acting, shots, and music have stood out to me, so hoping the story goes in an upward direction.
    I'm going to keep watching too, yeah, for the performances (not to mention Theroux's handsomeness). Agree on the music - really eerie sometimes and suits the show. Guess we'll see where the show takes the story.
    I finally had a chance to watch the first two episodes and I loved them, I'm totally in on this.

Re: Allie's secret...he can't have a background that would make him unlikeable and unsympatic so his crime can't be anything horrific.  Given his few comments on military spending and anti-government views, my guess is that he's going to be an Edward Snowden type of figure or something like that.  Perhaps one of this inventions was misappropriated as used as a weapon or something like that?
    Chinaski
  • Like the guys were saying the rants they are going on can be a bit much but the sass the government agent gives the daughter after she’s done with hers show me they know it comes off that way.
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    I was disappointed in the guys takes on the show. I thought the first two episodes were excellent and had me really invested throughout. I don't know if I've had that type of feeling from a show since Breaking Bad.

The social/political commentary didn't bother me at all, and I don't think it was as often as Jim made it out to be. (Then again I find myself disagreeing with a lot of Jim's takes for some reason - nothing personal) 

I didn't know this show was a book or even a Harrison Ford movie. So, I think that made me like it more because I had zero expectations or knowledge about what it could be.  And I am never bothered by not knowing something (why they are running). Half the fun is not knowing and coming up with thoughts in your head. I enjoy that kind of story telling. I don't get so invested that it has to blow me away or anything, I just enjoy the ride of it all and see where it goes.

Its a bummer the fellas were more wrapped up in the source material and rants than what actually happened on the show, because I thought it was thrilling. Hopefully the stick with it and keep some coverage on off the clock.
    CretanBullChinaski
    I was disappointed in the guys takes on the show. I thought the first two episodes were excellent and had me really invested throughout. I don't know if I've had that type of feeling from a show since Breaking Bad.

The social/political commentary didn't bother me at all, and I don't think it was as often as Jim made it out to be. (Then again I find myself disagreeing with a lot of Jim's takes for some reason - nothing personal) 

I didn't know this show was a book or even a Harrison Ford movie. So, I think that made me like it more because I had zero expectations or knowledge about what it could be.  And I am never bothered by not knowing something (why they are running). Half the fun is not knowing and coming up with thoughts in your head. I enjoy that kind of story telling. I don't get so invested that it has to blow me away or anything, I just enjoy the ride of it all and see where it goes.

Its a bummer the fellas were more wrapped up in the source material and rants than what actually happened on the show, because I thought it was thrilling. Hopefully the stick with it and keep some coverage on off the clock.

I can't remember ever disagreeing with the guys more than I have with this show...to the point where I'm wondering if we even watched the same thing.  What Jim called "driving an agenda" i saw as establishing a character.  Nothing about it seemed preachy to me and I didn't for a second think that the show was making any kind of efforf to get the viewer on board with Allie's world view.  Not every show is for everyone, but normally when you hear someone criticize a show you can understand where they're coming from even if you disagree.  After listening to the podcast I was just totally confused and like I said, left wondering if we watched the same thing.
    MichaelVCassidyChinaski
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa

I can't remember ever disagreeing with the guys more than I have with this show...to the point where I'm wondering if we even watched the same thing.  What Jim called "driving an agenda" i saw as establishing a character.  Nothing about it seemed preachy to me and I didn't for a second think that the show was making any kind of efforf to get the viewer on board with Allie's world view.  Not every show is for everyone, but normally when you hear someone criticize a show you can understand where they're coming from even if you disagree.  After listening to the podcast I was just totally confused and like I said, left wondering if we watched the same thing.
    Completely agree. Well said. I had the same feeling listening to the podcast. I think their experince with the movie colored too much of their opinion of the show or something. As I said above, I didn't know this was a movie or book prior,  so I just watched it as this new show with Justin Theroux. And man, it has been one of the more engaging shows I've watched. 
  • edited May 29
    So I fell several episodes behind in this and I'm in the process of catching up. I just started episode 6 and Holy Wayne has made an appearance. The show itself has been interesting enough to keep me watching but other than Theroux's acting it hasn't been great. 
  • I binged six of the episodes over a couple of days and thought it was great. Really my cup of tea (mystery, suspense, action). I especially liked Chuy's character and how that all played out. Allie really fucked that guy's life up.

I do hope we get some answers in the season finale, otherwise I will have to read the book. 
    Giovanni said:
    I binged six of the episodes over a couple of days and thought it was great. Really my cup of tea (mystery, suspense, action). I especially liked Chuy's character and how that all played out. Allie really fucked that guy's life up.

I do hope we get some answers in the season finale, otherwise I will have to read the book. 
    I read the book a long time ago, but as I remember it you're not going to find answers to the show's mysteries...it's totally different.  If I remember correctly, the dad moves the family because he's fed up with American materialism - they aren't on the run, they just get on a boat and set sail for Honduras.
    i was a little annoyed with Ep4 so I was in no hurry to watch for 2 weeks. just caught up with Eps 5-6 and while it had a few side eyed moments, i still enjoyed em. it was a pleasant surprise to see Holy Wayne! that gun to the head moment with Margot, while I knew she wasn't getting killed.. a part me went :# when it happened. really curious to see how they wrap it up with this last episode so i'll def be watching.
    awookiee