Vinny, Brad, and Alex are leaving Giant Bomb and I am very sad

bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
Not really related to BM at all but I know there are a lot of fans here.

I am really sad, GB has been a massive part of my life for nearly a decade now and it looks like this is the end of the site as we currently know it. They rekindled my love for video games after falling out of the hobby during college and have been a constant presence in my life since then. A lot of cool threads going around on twitter and various places sharing thoughts and highlights but if anything it's just making me more sad.

They haven't said anything directly but from speculation I've seen it looks like this is related to them being acquired by Red Ventures and RV not really understanding what they bought since the move was mostly for CNET and Gamespot. These private venture assholes killed Deadspin and now Giant Bomb, nothing good can live anymore even if it's successful unless some corporate ghoul sees the correct amount of growth opportunity or whatever the fuck.
Murderbear

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, I saw the news on the FB group and it's been a huge bummer ever since. It sucks because they sounded so pumped when that deal first happened and who knows what the hell went wrong. With all three of them leaving at the same time, something is definitely up.

I am a big fan of all three but Papa Vinny leaving is a huge blow. No more BeastCast. Bombcast is going to be completely different now, happening like a month before e3 (whatever that means anymore) no Game of the Year....it's crazy. End of an era for sure.

I am almost surprised Jeff is keeping it going but I am glad he is for sure. Jeff has always been my favorite and I will watch whatever it is he does. I assume Bakalar is also going to be there on the Bombcast every week, at least I hope so.

I dunno. Definitely sucks but I certainly wish them all the best in the world for whatever they decide to next.
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    GB as we know it is pretty much dead so I don't think its a guarantee they even keep the name or do the podcast unless they're forced to by their parent company. It seems weird to keep calling it that without at least one of Vinny Brad or Alex but who knows. They could just roll everything into whatever it is Bakalar is doing and maybe Jeff G morphs into his final form as like the Bill Simmons of video games. Nothing would be surprising at this point. I'll be in on whatever it is.

As far as Jeff staying on, he announced over the weekend they're having their second kid so it's not too surprising he doesn't want to start completely from scratch, but I don't want to speculate too much on his personal life.

Murderbear
    Gerstmann (still a threat) has always been Giant Bomb to me so I think he will continue the brand. It would be weirder to me if he left and they stayed and continued calling it Giant Bomb then vice versa but tomato tomahtoe.

I am really curious to see what happens now. Where these duders go and do and what happens to GB. I would imagine Danny will continue his guest run on the Bombcast which is great. Excited to hear more from Jan and Jason too. I also am a huge fan of Bakalar, assuming he is actually joining the fold.

Weird times
    bizmarkiefader
    Listening to Jeff on his garage stream last night was weirdly therapeutic. He was very open about how much this sucks and all the emotions it's brought up, but the thing that really stuck out to me was he said this has been going on behind the scenes for "a month" which is way shorter than what I was assuming. He also said things like "the bombcast is the bombcast" which was really reassuring, it sounds like they're going to cobble together whatever crew they need to to make sure that keeps going. I think I'm coming around a lot more to how you've been looking at it @Murderbear
    Murderbear
    I just finished the Beastcast episode. So wonderful to see the entire crew together. I think I cried the entire final ten minutes. I think I need to save the final stream for tomorrow...
    bizmarkiefader
    I just finished the Beastcast episode. So wonderful to see the entire crew together. I think I cried the entire final ten minutes. I think I need to save the final stream for tomorrow...

It was great closure and reaffirmed a bunch of things we knew about them already. It was great to see the whole East crew together one last time but I was distracted cause some neighbor kept slicing onions right outside my window every time Vinny was choking up. I really hope we get to see Vinny and Alex again in some form.

It also sounds like my speculation about Red Ventures isn't well founded which I guess is some relief for the future of the site.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Vinny, Alex, and Brad are doing their own Patreon/podcast venture, Nextlander. They did a stream on Twitch earlier today as well as an initial podcast. Links below! 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1049036886
    https://www.patreon.com/nextlander

I am really excited and interested to see what these guys come up with. 
    Murderbearbizmarkiefader
    This is cool and it's great to have them back but I can't help but feel a little weird about it. It's only been a month since they announced they're leaving which threw GB into a sort of chaos to reinvent themselves and retain their audience, now they have a direct competitor that is going to be 99% made of current GB audience/subscribers. They gotta do what they gotta do but if nothing else I wish we had a better sense of why they left in the first place considering how close this feels to GB East + Brad and how much Vinny talked about corporate overlords and choosing their own path in the intro.
    Murderbear
    I agree. I get why they couldn't or frankly wouldn't since it is not actually our business but divulge what happened. I have had the thought that maybe the new company didn't want two studios and wanted them all in one place and Vinny and Alex bailed. Brad maybe didn't like the idea of more bosses either and talked about doing something with them and jumped ship. Cause as it has been said a million times, it's one thing if ONE of them left. THREE at the same time feels like something was seriously wrong. I both love and hate all the speculation. I have been a huge GB fan for a long time so it is natural to want some answers but I also respect their privacy and sometimes this speculation can get gross.

I don't know, it's a weird thing that I am very happy they are doing something together but now it feels like a weird divorce thing and going back and forth between parents houses every weekend.

I would guess they did pretty well working at GB for so long with added member support but their Patreon has already blown the hell up and just looking at the numbers and thinking if everyone did the minimum tier, they are already set to make some good money.

Very curious about the plans being announced on the Bombcast today!
    bizmarkiefader

Between that, Waypoint+, Fire Escape, and Nextlander it's been a really crazy couple weeks for the GB extended universe. I went from what am I going to do with the time I used to listen to the Beastcast to there's no way I'm going to keep up with all of this. At least all my NFL podcasts have dried up for a few months.
    Murderbear
    Really excited about everything they announced, it'll be cool to see a bunch of new voices and weird projects that they wouldn't have normally done with a small core team. I've been a fan of O'Dwyer forever so him being on in an official capacity is awesome. I'm sure Jim will be ecstatic at the news Ryckert is going to be back on the site in some form.

I guess this also makes Nextlander make more sense, it's basically classic GB scaled down a little bit. I hope this works out for everyone.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited June 12
    I agree. I get why they couldn't or frankly wouldn't since it is not actually our business but divulge what happened. I have had the thought that maybe the new company didn't want two studios and wanted them all in one place and Vinny and Alex bailed. Brad maybe didn't like the idea of more bosses either and talked about doing something with them and jumped ship. Cause as it has been said a million times, it's one thing if ONE of them left. THREE at the same time feels like something was seriously wrong. I both love and hate all the speculation. I have been a huge GB fan for a long time so it is natural to want some answers but I also respect their privacy and sometimes this speculation can get gross.

I don't know, it's a weird thing that I am very happy they are doing something together but now it feels like a weird divorce thing and going back and forth between parents houses every weekend.

I would guess they did pretty well working at GB for so long with added member support but their Patreon has already blown the hell up and just looking at the numbers and thinking if everyone did the minimum tier, they are already set to make some good money.

It definitely feels weird. Particularly with E3 this weekend. I've been bouncing between the GB and Nextlander Twitch streams...its so odd for all people to just not be together doing it.
    bizmarkiefader

Interesting interview with all three of them. I haven't finished it yet but I didn't realize how corporate GB is. I always got the impression they were relatively left alone but it doesn't seem like that was the case.

Murderbear