The Badass Discussions.

I've really enjoyed the badass discussions and thought there should be a thread for those not on the fancy Discord.  I like the idea of another "C" and may I present... the Cataract Category.  How has the badass aged? Exhibit #1 is probably JCVD.  First of all, the aging self-referential JCVD should gain a lot of ground on charisma.  There was some slanderous shade on the Bloodsport podcast that he never developed his craft, which makes it clear you haven't seen JCVD or finished Van Johnson.  Back on topic, the 60 year is fixing to star in a Netflix movie and he's doing full splits and still kicking ass.  Most of the badasses are human wreckage at 60, but not this guy.  That's got to be worth Cataract points.

Also, you guys couldn't remember if Nathan Fillion was badass in BTVS? Oh, he just ragdolls two Slayers, toys with Spike, kills several trainees, and gouges out Xander's eye for fun in under 5 minutes. 

luongod

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I haven’t been able to listen to the whole thing but here’s my issue with the 3Cs. 

Arnie doesn’t have Harrison’s charisma. So they can’t be tied. Arnie might be a one and yes True Lies is the evidence. Awesome movie. But he is no Han Solo or Indiana Jones. 

Harrison is why you need +. He’s a Charisma++ because Harrison will lose if he has to use champion as a tie breaker. Not fair. 
    GredalBee
    Maybe your + are roles 
    Arnie is 1 with everything and True Lies
    harrison is 1++ with Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan and Han Solo. 

Once again need to finish so apologies if already discussed. I’m the dickhead commenting on something before being able to finish. 
  • Hatorian said:
    Maybe your + are roles 
    Arnie is 1 with everything and True Lies
    harrison is 1++ with Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan and Han Solo. 

Once again need to finish so apologies if already discussed. I’m the dickhead commenting on something before being able to finish. 

Haha I did the same in discord... It's a long podcast! My main comment was the glaring omission of Denzel Washington, assuming he'll rank highly on the new list.
    Hatorian
  • edited July 14
    Has a "0" champion been discussed? Like Gene Hackman is physically a 0, but has to be a full 1 on Character and Charisma.  He'd be middle of the pack with a 2.0 rating.
    luongod
    edited July 14
    So far it seems to be going to Arnie vs the Rock which is cool but honestly this one me and the guys respectfully disagree. I just heard 8 names given a 1 for Charisma and the guys were asking what’s a 1. It’s Indiana Jones and Han Solo(6 movies). Champion is Arnie in Predator and Character is Bruce Willis in Die Hard. Then you rank everyone else lower.

Here’s a v1 of Hatorians ranking. Yes when not stealing memes I’m also ranking useless stuff. 

• This is that picture people were trying to send @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard today.  He's working on #1 C.

httpscdnonebauermediaonemedia60b795bde4878158de87b96ethor-love-thunder-set-picjpg
    luongod
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    all this bad ass talking making me wanna re-watch Tango and Cash sooner than later. i use to love that movie!
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 15
    I love that they’re open to considering & discussing classic film actors as well as modern actors.  I think the factors used for comparison should be skewed a bit when comparing the two, though.  Like, putting a Paul Newman or a Humphrey Bogart up against a Stallone or Hemsworth as is sort of automatically gives the classic guys a lower score.  They’re still badasses, just in a classic film leading man/action star way.  Maybe I just have a soft spot for classic film actors (I definitely do).
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    I struggle with how Hollywood-centric their list is.  Just to pick the names which come to mind...

There's Hong Kong
    Jet Li (who is charismatic but that's maybe best seen in the non fight scenes of Once Upon a Time in China or Tai Chi Master)

Chow Yun Fat 

Michael Wong

Ti Lung

Ku Feng

Philip Kwok

Donnie Yen

Philip Ng

and plenty of other men have had a few badass scenes such as Leon Lai

Kara Wai

Cheng Pei-pei

Michelle Yeoh

Yukari Oshima

Moon Lee

Cynthia Rothrock

And India

Vijay

Vikram

Jr NTR

Mahesh Babu

Prabhas

To say nothing of Japan, South Korea, Thailand, etc.

luongod
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn

I still think Cavill has to be on the list or about to break the door down.

Superman, the Witcher and his bad guy in MI was great. 

They need to cast him as Bond so we actually get a Bond that looks like he could physically hurt someone.  Its been a minute since Connery had that physicality.

• lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Interesting how much they, or at least A Aron(?) are focused on height/build as opposed to martial/physical skills.  I generally think looking imposing is more important for the villain role.
  • edited July 18
    Is there a bracket or list of these somewhere on the website?

Glad to see Jennifer Garner is on the list. Her role as Sidney on Alias was super badass. 
    Also glad to see Danai Guirira (sp?)
    Carol from the walking dead is pretty badass as well. 
    I’d put Captain Marvel on the list. But she’s only had the one badass movie….  
    Another suggestion is Drummer from the expanse. 
    Oh! And Regina King - Sister Knight

Linda Hamilton should rank super high. But during her prime there really wasn’t a lot of opportunity for female badass roles. Had there been, my guess is that she’d have been unbeatable. 

• edited July 18
    Edit - just realized most are already on the list- Oh also Michael B Jordan and Chadwick Boseman. 
    Idris Elba 
    Djimon Hounsou

luongod
  • I assume Raylan Givens didn't make it, which begs the question: Why didn't Raylan Givens make it?

I'm going to actually listen to the podcast next chance I get.

• edited July 20
    @Travis Good one.  Seth Bullock, Raylan, Deafy, the Hitman.  Was he a badass on The Mandalorian?
  • edited July 22
    Sarah Michelle Gellar gets a .25 solely on Buffy, and is a solid 1 on charisma. Physical champion…….
  • I think Jamie Fox has been overlooked. Even his comedic roles have a badass edge to them. He’s absolutely beast by the end of Collateral. Django is a badass. He was in that Miami Vice movie. While not a winner of a film, he was almost assuredly cool and badass.  
  • luongod said:
    I think Jamie Fox has been overlooked. Even his comedic roles have a badass edge to them. He’s absolutely beast by the end of Collateral. Django is a badass. He was in that Miami Vice movie. While not a winner of a film, he was almost assuredly cool and badass.  
    Badass for sure n Baby Driver