What are you playing?

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I managed to score the digital version of the PS5 from Best Buy. I will be picking it up from the store on Thursday. So I guess anything could happen between no and then. But I have a confirmation with them and everything, so here is hoping...
    bizmarkiefadercdriveMurderbear
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    We've been working our way through the Supermassive games, started with Until Dawn and then Man of Medan with Little Hope on deck now. If you like horror movies and choose your own adventure type stuff I can't recommend these enough, especially if you have someone to play with. Can't remember if they've come up in this thread before but the premise is you have a cast of characters in some type of horror movie setup and any amount of them can live or die based on choices you make and how good you are at quicktime events (everyone can survive so you know when someone dies you fucked something up but it's not always obvious). It's always funny to watch people deal with a snap decision and panic in the exact way we always make fun of characters in these movies for doing, as if they have time to make a pros and cons list of every single possible consequence.

I loved Until Dawn. Man of Medan, I loved less so, but I still really enjoyed it. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like people's movement was REALLY slow.  It took way longer to walk around the scenes than I recalled in Until Dawn. I could be totally wrong on that end. Little Hope is next up for me as well. House of Ashes is due sometime this year, and I am excited for that one too.
    bizmarkiefader
    I loved Until Dawn. Man of Medan, I loved less so, but I still really enjoyed it. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like people's movement was REALLY slow.  It took way longer to walk around the scenes than I recalled in Until Dawn. I could be totally wrong on that end. Little Hope is next up for me as well. House of Ashes is due sometime this year, and I am excited for that one too.

It is pretty slow but I think the ship of Man of Medan is just a more boring environment than the bigger variety Until Dawn had so it feels slower. I don't really mind it because we usually have plenty to talk about while the character is moving around, I imagine it's way more annoying if you're playing by yourself.

I hope they keep making these, I will for sure play at least one of these a year for as long as they make them. Interactive horror movie that you can play with people who don't play video games often has gigantic appeal for me.

It is pretty slow but I think the ship of Man of Medan is just a more boring environment than the bigger variety Until Dawn had so it feels slower. I don't really mind it because we usually have plenty to talk about while the character is moving around, I imagine it's way more annoying if you're playing by yourself.

I hope they keep making these, I will for sure play at least one of these a year for as long as they make them. Interactive horror movie that you can play with people who don't play video games often has gigantic appeal for me.
    100% agree. I love anthologies, and to have an ongoing series with it's own Cryptkeeper-like host, is amazing. I am thrilled to have them. I hope they continue to be successful so we get more and more. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited March 9
    several Mario games 35% off starting tomorrow (Mar10 aka Super Mario Day) though Friday 3/13.

edit: derp! it's this whole week. so sale started yesterday and goes till Friday
    Freddy
    Chinaski said:

I never knew how much I associated ninja turtles with stuff flying into the camera until this. Seeing that pizza get slapped onto the camera in the intro and the dudes flying at you if you hit them hard enough triggered a part of my brain I forgot about.
    edited March 12
    Chinaski said:
    haha oh shit! Mike Patton sings the theme!

edit: i guess it's in the nerdlist article but i stopped reading once i got to the video haha.
    Murderbear
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Pulled the trigger on a PS5 about a month ago and I’m experiencing whiplash from the vast differences in campaign lengths between Miles Morales and AC Valhalla. Can anyone here confirm that this game actually has an ending? 
  • Finished Unravel on Game Pass as my latest "game I can play with toddler in the room." Nice, bittersweet little platformer. Nothing groundbreaking or too challenging, but very pretty and pleasant. 
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    After beating Ghost of Tsushima, fantastic game by the way, I have been playing Spiritfarer. It's just like a lovely warm hug. I love the art style and the super light farming gameplay. It's just very lovely and definitely did not make me cry after ushering my first person through the Everdoor. Nope. Not at all.
    Pulled the trigger on a PS5 about a month ago and I’m experiencing whiplash from the vast differences in campaign lengths between Miles Morales and AC Valhalla. Can anyone here confirm that this game actually has an ending? 
    I've heard Alex from Giant Beastcast talk about this. But in reality, I think it is like rainbows. Everybody assumes it has an ending, but no one can actually confirm with evidence.

asmallcat said:
    Finished Unravel on Game Pass as my latest "game I can play with toddler in the room." Nice, bittersweet little platformer. Nothing groundbreaking or too challenging, but very pretty and pleasant. 
    That game is a lot of fun. I beat the sequel a few months ago. It is lovely as well. A tad bit shorter, which is nothing I am going to complain about when games usually shovel in way too much shit. (See above).
    hisdudeness915

I beat it last week and my advice would be not to worry about it. Some interesting stuff does happen at the end but that game is way more about the journey and riding around on your a autopilot horse finding random stuff around the map. If you get bored, come back to it later, cause if you find yourself trying to rush to finish it you're not going to have a great time. The expansiveness is the main feature of the game.
    hisdudeness915
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.  The boys and I have been going heavy at botw for a while now, especially the older one, so this was a great new game to get into. Love the couch co-op action.  Very PS2 LOTR vibes, which I think might get my wife into playing.  Played way too late last night!  
    Murderbear
    Going through the PS4 catalog I just finished the 2018 God of War and damn, that game is impressive. I was going to try and 100% it but ran into a challenge to kill 20 enemies while taking no damage and it got me so mad I just went and did the last mission and put the game away to play something else. Other than some of those optional challenges the game is just incredible.
    Murderbear
    edited April 12
    I have been playing Diablo 3 again for some reason lately. It is a FANTASTIC podcast game as I could care less about the story and the action is pretty mindless. I do love loot games though so that part is still kinda fun. That reminds me, the other day I was playing and apparently I found some lost item of yours @Garthgou81 so it was sent back to you. No idea what it was and I am SURE it is totally worth firing that game up again to go check. Ha!

Narita Boy I picked this up after the Giant Bomb Quick Look and I am super into it. 80s vapor wave esthetic out the ass but it is (so far) a pretty simple side scrolled. I love  the look of it though. And they are pretty up their own assets with the lore because there is a LOT of text to read through but most of it is pretty good so far.
    Going through the PS4 catalog I just finished the 2018 God of War and damn, that game is impressive. I was going to try and 100% it but ran into a challenge to kill 20 enemies while taking no damage and it got me so mad I just went and did the last mission and put the game away to play something else. Other than some of those optional challenges the game is just incredible.
    The Platinum for that game is frustrating. Both on the difficulty (the valkyries, and specifically the Queen are total pains in the pass) and time-consuming. I took a break and went back to finish it up about a year later. It was a good way of approaching it for me.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Question for the Bald Movers....does anyone use Apple Arcade and if so do you think it is worth it at that price. I rarely play games on my mobile but I just saw Clap Handz (Hot Shots golf team) released a new golf game and from what I can tell it is exclusive to Apple Arcade.
    The Platinum for that game is frustrating. Both on the difficulty (the valkyries, and specifically the Queen are total pains in the pass) and time-consuming. I took a break and went back to finish it up about a year later. It was a good way of approaching it for me.

I really like the amount of optional content there is and that they give you a reason to go for the top level gear and master all the details of your abilities without making that a requirement to beat the base game. It's really just this one challenge that ruined it for me lol. I almost never block which seems like what they really want you to do, but even then they spawn ranged enemies both in front of and behind you consistently so I can get all the way down to one or two left and take a rogue missile to the shoulder from behind. I just couldn't take it anymore. But yea maybe with some time away I'll come back and knock it out on the first try and do the rest of the nilfheim/valkyrie stuff.
    Wondered if I could make it through Tetris Effect Journey mode on my lunch break. Didn't use any Special to save time and look at that! What is your most meaningless and pointless video game achievement? 

I really like the amount of optional content there is and that they give you a reason to go for the top level gear and master all the details of your abilities without making that a requirement to beat the base game. It's really just this one challenge that ruined it for me lol. I almost never block which seems like what they really want you to do, but even then they spawn ranged enemies both in front of and behind you consistently so I can get all the way down to one or two left and take a rogue missile to the shoulder from behind. I just couldn't take it anymore. But yea maybe with some time away I'll come back and knock it out on the first try and do the rest of the nilfheim/valkyrie stuff.
    The Nilfheim stuff is infuriating, until you get the right gear, then it is just the grind that can get irritating. The Valkyrie stuff really requires patience. So many times I would get close to beating one, only to get greedy and impatient. They sincerely want you to learn the different attacks and how to evade/block/parry/interrupt/counter. It is worth a revisit if you find yourself craving it later on, 
    Wondered if I could make it through Tetris Effect Journey mode on my lunch break. Didn't use any Special to save time and look at that! What is your most meaningless and pointless video game achievement? 
    I played that game and was sure I wouldn't be able to beat it on Expert. I toiled away and finally managed to do it. I was also playing it in VR and it was practically a spiritual experience. 
    Oh man, I have not played it in VR yet but I can't imagine how cool it would be! Sony did that Play at Home giveaway and it was mostly VR games that I hear are incredible. I was considering pulling the trigger on one but with Sony talking about a new version, I will hold off.
    Oh man, I have not played it in VR yet but I can't imagine how cool it would be! Sony did that Play at Home giveaway and it was mostly VR games that I hear are incredible. I was considering pulling the trigger on one but with Sony talking about a new version, I will hold off.
    It was pretty great, I can't lie. But I am curious about their next set. Not that this was a bad set, but the headset was clunky, a bit heavy, (the original breakout box doesn't have HDR passthrough), and the move controllers are not ideal. Hopefully, the next one will be better. Regardless, Tetris was quite an experience. That and Resident Evil 7 in VR really blew me away with what is possible on that front. 
    Murderbear
    FINALLY MLB the Show is on XBOX. so damn stoked!
    calebthrower
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Oh man I just did bad, bad things to Johnny Cage with John Rambo on MK11.  With 3 days left, the PlayStation store has MK11 with all the expansions marked down from $60 to $30. PS4/PS5 digital license...I’m hoping that means it will transfer...

I’ve been wanting this one for a while but not quite for $60.  I feel like everything is being directly marketed to our generation (youngest gen x) now. This has fricken Rambo, Terminator, and Robocop. Joker and Harley Quinn too. 

My best friend’s wife is a major Mortal Kombat nerd, and we’re all finally vaccinated, so I’m feeling a gaming hangout in the near future.  

Need to make sure to keep this game away from my boys. This is full tilt MK, ain’t no violence off/on. The Rambo fatal blow is fuckin’ gnarly dude.  Shit. Haha. 
  • Been playing SW Squadrons on Game Pass (just the story - I'm way past the point in my gaming career where I want to deal with playing with internet randos), and it's definitely scratching that Rogue Squadron on n64 itch. 
  • asmallcat said:
    Been playing SW Squadrons on Game Pass (just the story - I'm way past the point in my gaming career where I want to deal with playing with internet randos), and it's definitely scratching that Rogue Squadron on n64 itch. 
    Basically finished (on the last mission). Didn't suck me in enough to want to play online, but MAN was it just nice to be in the star wars universe of ship design. That is one thing the franchise has always excelled at - even the weaker movies have such cool ships and vehicles. X-wings, TIE fighters, and Star Destroyers have to be in the top 5 most iconic sci-fi ship designs, and it's crazy they all come from the same franchise. The only thing in the same league is the Enterprise.