What are you playing?

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I've knocked out a few games since I last was able to sign-in to the forums. I beat Far Cry 5 (man, this game just made me feel bad and icky with its treatment of pretty much everyone and everything. I eventually just ignored all the cut scenes and listened to podcasts while knocking out missions), Abzu (what a gorgeous game. At only about two hours of playtime, it was a perfect palate cleanser after FC5), gave up on Hollow Knight (I just couldn't get into the game or what they were trying to get me to do. Add in a nauseating level of difficulty and I bailed).
  • The world of Far Cry 5 was so much fun to fly around in, I ended up spending most of my time hunting and quit after beating 2 of the 3 regions. Hollow Knight is incredible once it clicks, but I'll admit it's not for everyone.

Deep Rock Galactic has sucked all of my time recently. Scratches the Left 4 Dead itch I didn't know I was missing.

The world of Far Cry 5 was so much fun to fly around in, I ended up spending most of my time hunting and quit after beating 2 of the 3 regions. Hollow Knight is incredible once it clicks, but I'll admit it's not for everyone.
    Far Cry was definitely fun in that regard. I loved how quick I could move around the area with the fast travel. But I liked it even more once I started just using the helicopters and planes to traverse. I had less fun with the automobiles. Those were great. But there is a part of me that is thinking about going back to platinum just because it is super fun to goof off in.

I will probably go back to Hollow Knight at some point. After a few hours of timer spent, I wasn't sure if it would ever click and didn't want to keep slamming my head against the wall in frustration. Eventually does it become more linear and you know where you are going? It felt like a MetroidVania, except one where I was just wandering aimlessly and dying very quickly. It was just so unforgiving; I felt like I was swimming without knowing where to go up for air. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    The world of Far Cry 5 was so much fun to fly around in, I ended up spending most of my time hunting and quit after beating 2 of the 3 regions. Hollow Knight is incredible once it clicks, but I'll admit it's not for everyone.

Deep Rock Galactic has sucked all of my time recently. Scratches the Left 4 Dead itch I didn't know I was missing.

There’s a new left4dead coming. Looks cool
  • Started playing NieR:Automata and boy is it a Japanese game lol. Pretty fun a couple hours in though. 
    asmallcat said:
    Started playing NieR:Automata and boy is it a Japanese game lol. Pretty fun a couple hours in though. 
    That one has been on my playlist for a while. I picked it up on a sale after hearing the Giant Bomb folks talking it up on a previous Game of the Year.

I'm embarrassed to say that my PS5 is a glorified PS4 at this point. I am going back and playing all the PS4 games that I didn't get around to. I know I won't want to go back to them after jumping into all those purty PS5 games. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Anyone playing RE Village? I've heard opinions all over the map but the discussion around how bonkers and easy it is makes me want to try it.
  • Anyone playing RE Village? I've heard opinions all over the map but the discussion around how bonkers and easy it is makes me want to try it.
    I never played ANY RE game until 7, and I really enjoyed 7 (even if it dragged at the end a bit), so I plan on giving Village a try. Did you play 7? If not you can pick it up for a song. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    asmallcat said:
    Started playing NieR:Automata and boy is it a Japanese game lol. Pretty fun a couple hours in though. 
    That one has been on my playlist for a while. I picked it up on a sale after hearing the Giant Bomb folks talking it up on a previous Game of the Year.

I'm embarrassed to say that my PS5 is a glorified PS4 at this point. I am going back and playing all the PS4 games that I didn't get around to. I know I won't want to go back to them after jumping into all those purty PS5 games. 
    You can be forgiven as there aren't that many PS5 exclusives yet. Just a lot of purty'd up PS4 games so far.

Also, as far as Far Cry 5, I enjoyed it but was kind of disappointed at the time it was soooo much like 3 and 4. I fee like the most annoying part of that game was the fact that the roving enemies just never gave you a moment's peace. It felt like even as soon as you get rid of one group of goons, another one showed up so quickly. Let me enjoy the scenery A LITTLE BIT! I actually re-downloaded 4 semi-recently but I think I may give 5 another shot. I am not the biggest FPS fan but something about those games does hit me right.
  • asmallcat said:
    That one has been on my playlist for a while. I picked it up on a sale after hearing the Giant Bomb folks talking it up on a previous Game of the year.
    Well so far I’m an attractive scantily clad woman who always wears a blindfold and who has two giant swords who is also an Android that sometimes has a big mobile battle suit also there’s top down bullet hell sections where you’re flying and also the bad guys are robots that look like something from a cute theme park oh and finally everyone’s name is just one letter and one number. 
    asmallcat said:

I never played ANY RE game until 7, and I really enjoyed 7 (even if it dragged at the end a bit), so I plan on giving Village a try. Did you play 7? If not you can pick it up for a song. 
    I've only ever played 4 all the way through and bits and pieces of a lot of the other ones, 8 seems like it's pretty different than 7, more action and character focused than 7 which went really hard on the horror/VR elements. It also seems like it's short so I might give it a shot over the weekend and see if I can get through it in a few sittings.
    edited May 14

You can be forgiven as there aren't that many PS5 exclusives yet. Just a lot of purty'd up PS4 games so far.

Also, as far as Far Cry 5, I enjoyed it but was kind of disappointed at the time it was soooo much like 3 and 4. I fee like the most annoying part of that game was the fact that the roving enemies just never gave you a moment's peace. It felt like even as soon as you get rid of one group of goons, another one showed up so quickly. Let me enjoy the scenery A LITTLE BIT! I actually re-downloaded 4 semi-recently but I think I may give 5 another shot. I am not the biggest FPS fan but something about those games does hit me right.
    Totally. You'll finish off a pack of folks that you just happened to stumble upon when a bear also finds you, you take care of the bear only to realize that a roving plane has found you and has started shooting you, You duck to try and get away from the plan, and another bear finds you. It is really ridiculous. The previous FC games had a much better balance than this one. I remember loving FC3. FC4 was more of the same. Inbetween there was Far Cry: Primal, which I actually enjoyed for how weird it was. But even then it still had the FC formula, it was just morphed. 

FC5 was more of the same. I am hoping for something different with Far Cry 6 (at least that will have Giancarlo Esposito, for fuck's sake), but that might literally be the definition of insanity, doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome. 

asmallcat said:

Well so far I’m an attractive scantily clad woman who always wears a blindfold and who has two giant swords who is also an Android that sometimes has a big mobile battle suit also there’s top down bullet hell sections where you’re flying and also the bad guys are robots that look like something from a cute theme park oh and finally everyone’s name is just one letter and one number. 
    .........Okay. I'll consider myself warned. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • I've only ever played 4 all the way through and bits and pieces of a lot of the other ones, 8 seems like it's pretty different than 7, more action and character focused than 7 which went really hard on the horror/VR elements. It also seems like it's short so I might give it a shot over the weekend and see if I can get through it in a few sittings.
    I guess I was just saying that they made a great game with 7 so I'd trust them to make another good game. 
    bizmarkiefader
    edited May 14

FC5 was more of the same. I am hoping for something different with Far Cry 6 (at least that will have Giancarlo Esposito, for fuck's sake), but that might literally be the definition of insanity, doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome. 

New Dawn was so disappointing and I think it was my breaking point with the series. 3 was so good and felt like they had tapped into this structured take on open world games that gave you a lot of the exploration aspects of the Bethesda RPGs but also gave you convenient checklists and clear objectives with paths to upgrades... and then they just made the same game a bunch more times. New Dawn changed some things up but none of it was that interesting and it just ended up feeling like a more limited version of the older games with some more mechanics that kinda sucked. I also really hope they mix it up a lot with the new one but I'm not really holding my breath.
    Man, I forgot New Dawn even existed until you mentioned it. They do so many things right, that it is just frustrating that they don't do more to expand their views on what they could do. 
    bizmarkiefader
    Man, I forgot New Dawn even existed until you mentioned it. They do so many things right, that it is just frustrating that they don't do more to expand their views on what they could do. 
    This is pretty much all of Ubisoft in a nutshell.
    I started RE Village and I'm about as far as ARon was on the latest OTC. So far I love it. It's not a perfect game by any means but it's so goofy and entertaining that it doesn't matter. It's easy enough that I haven't died since near the beginning, but it's not so mindless that you don't have to worry about the enemies which is perfect because I probably wouldn't like this half as much if I had to keep repeating segments. I heard on podcasts people talking about the giant lady stalking you being really easy to avoid but I found her in my way a lot and she was chasing me all over the place when I was trying to go back and pick up stuff I missed.

The protagonist in this game makes me wish they had gotten Keanu for this role instead of him being in Cyberpunk. His whole vibe is like Bill and Ted rolling with everything they see but still never losing that childlike wonder at it. Really early on you go into this house with the first person you've seen in the village and he's holding a shotgun, clearly looking out the window and there is a deep growl and scratching around the house while hes very obviously looking for a monster to shoot and he even hands you your starting pistol. The whole time Ethan is just like "hey.... hey what's wrong? why wont you talk to me? what's going on? hey mister ..... hey" and it's hilarious and he keeps that energy through at least where I'm at. The "badass one liner" he gives after you beat the first boss is just glorious.

Playing it captures the vibe of watching an entertaining schlocky horror movie and it's exactly what I hoped it would be. I just wish it had come out in the fall or winter so I didn't have to wait until like 8pm+ for it to be dark enough to play it with the way my TV is set up.
    Murderbear
    I’m really starting to get salty about the way MS and PS are handling their console supplies. 

I know they can’t control the total supply in a pandemic but they can find ways to stop this bullshit of having every console go into the hands of professional scalpers. 

They release limited amounts like every week or two. And professional trolls just sit and wait for these releases using technology. Buy them out and then sell them for double.

do something different! Make people use their gamertags to buy consoles or something that would allow normal everyday gamers some exclusive windows to buy these things. It’s fucking frustrating. Sony and MS don’t care cuz they are selling every produced model anyway..
    edited May 26
    Hatorian said:

do something different! Make people use their gamertags to buy consoles or something that would allow normal everyday gamers some exclusive windows to buy these things. It’s fucking frustrating. Sony and MS don’t care cuz they are selling every produced model anyway..

They do care about it but there aren't as many good options as you think. They are not happy at all about consumers being priced out because they want these things in peoples houses and not sitting in piles in pictures on ebay, they want to sell you the software not the hardware. They've had some measures that helped like introducing a bunch of lotteries rather than straight queues but the supply just isn't there. They said they expect the supply issues to last through next year so I'm not sure when this is ever gonna get better.

The graphics card companies have gotten so pissed at these crypto miners they're now talking about making cards that are intentionally clocked down on things crypto people care about which I'm all for. I'm not sure what the solution is on the PS5 front, we got really lucky getting one when we did but that was after about 3 months of having tons of alerts and trying queues on every store we could find, it was a consuming and extremely frustrating process.
    Hatorian said:

They do care about it but there aren't as many good options as you think. They are not happy at all about consumers being priced out because they want these things in peoples houses and not sitting in piles in pictures on ebay, they want to sell you the software not the hardware. They've had some measures that helped like introducing a bunch of lotteries rather than straight queues but the supply just isn't there. They said they expect the supply issues to last through next year so I'm not sure when this is ever gonna get better.

The graphics card companies have gotten so pissed at these crypto miners they're now talking about making cards that are intentionally clocked down on things crypto people care about which I'm all for. I'm not sure what the solution is on the PS5 front, we got really lucky getting one when we did but that was after about 3 months of having tons of alerts and trying queues on every store we could find, it was a consuming and extremely frustrating process.
    Yea Good point on the software stuff but if they cared enough they would sell consoles themselves. The fact that they use merchants shows they don’t care. 

Why wouldn’t a gamertag system work? Both Sony and MS online stores already handle your login and can take purchases. So no need to build anythng except maybe some integration between those 2 systems. Make 2fa a requirement for purchases which means a phone number needs to be associated with the gamertag. And you can max out the tags per phone number. Now if scalpers want to create hundreds of gamertags and associate phone numbers to each one so they can buy multiple ones then good luck.

there. I fixed it but of course they care more about satisfying their merchants then they do getting consoles in hand. 

Hatorian said:

Yea Good point on the software stuff but if they cared enough they would sell consoles themselves. The fact that they use merchants shows they don’t care. 

Why wouldn’t a gamertag system work? Both Sony and MS online stores already handle your login and can take purchases. So no need to build anythng except maybe some integration between those 2 systems. Make 2fa a requirement for purchases which means a phone number needs to be associated with the gamertag. And you can max out the tags per phone number. Now if scalpers want to create hundreds of gamertags and associate phone numbers to each one so they can buy multiple ones then good luck.

there. I fixed it but of course they care more about satisfying their merchants then they do getting consoles in hand.

They do have deals with retailers that they have to respect, they're not going to just burn all their bridges and sell all of them directly. I can't imagine that's even an option if they wanted to without being sued into oblivion.

I don't know about Microsoft because I wasn't looking, but Sony does have a direct store that needs a PSN account and they do a lottery system for their queues. I joined that thing a million times and was probably the closest I got until we eventually found a bundle through gamestop. I remember they had some kind of early pre-order system that required an account but I didn't have a PS4 so I assumed I'd be able to wait a month or two and pick one up easily. I believe most of those people got theirs but that's anecdotal.
    I know MS Singapore sells consoles directly. That’s how I got my xobx4k. So they physically can do it with systems already built. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Finally got my dirt bike on botw! BRAAAAAP!

Freddy
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i never played any of the BioShocks. a good friend of mine was super into them years ago and would always tell me to check out. there were some pretty good Memorial Day sales on the MS Store and picked up the collection (3 were included) for $9.99. yay or nay on tye BioShock series? does it still hold up?
  • Infinite was fun. I started but never finished 1 back in the day. 
    Chinaski said:
    i never played any of the BioShocks. a good friend of mine was super into them years ago and would always tell me to check out. there were some pretty good Memorial Day sales on the MS Store and picked up the collection (3 were included) for $9.99. yay or nay on tye BioShock series? does it still hold up?

Bioshock is a classic with a compelling story and it holds up gameplay and narrative wise but the politics of it might feel pretty dated. I haven't played it in over ten years but I remember it drawing heavily off of Rand nonsense. It's not a straight up run and gun shooter but it's also not quite Resident Evil style never waste a bullet, you just have to be creative with your powers and I remember using a lot of the wrench. If I remember right it has a very player friendly mechanic where when you die you just respawn with the world as it was when you died. There's more to it (I think?) but like I said it's been over 10 years.

Two is a different thing and I believe was made by different people. It had a bad initial reaction because it is not what anyone wanted from a followup to Bioshock but it has its defenders, I probably played like two hours or so and fell off of it. People really loved the Minervas Den DLC. I never played Infinite but it was really popular at the time.

I would say give 1 a shot and if you like it that's probably worth the 10 bucks. Infinite is probably worth playing too if you end up liking the world.

ChinaskiMurderbearjluzania
  • Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? "No," says the man in Washington, "it belongs to the poor." "No," says the man in the Vatican, "it belongs to God." "No," says the man in Moscow, "it belongs to everyone." I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible.

What, you think that's Randian?  :D

But IIRC it's pretty down on the idea that Randian philosophy is good.  
    bizmarkiefaderMurderbear
    There's only one game with the right interpretation of what Rand worshipers are actually like

Contradiction - Spot The Liar - Catch All  Gamers With Jobs

They39re making another one - Contradiction Spot The Liar - Giant Bomb

Murderbear
    edited June 4
    I've been steamrolling through a ton of games recently:

Asemblance : I am usually a "walking simulator" apologist because my experience is that those games tend to focus on story instead of trying to juggle mechanics that aren't needed. But this was not a fun time. They were trying to tell a story, but really didn't land the plane. The best I can say is that it is a short experience. (PS4)

Mark of the Ninja
    : Stealth games are almost inherently frustrating for me. But this is one that allowed the played enough opportunities to play it their own. I loved it. (Switch)

The Final Station: This is a tiny game that I ended bailing on. You play as a train conductor who ends up trying to transport people to during an invasion of...some sort of alien beings (I never got far enough to figure out if they explain this). It is a lo-fi resource management, a survival horror game that is broken down into three sections. 1. You will arrive in a location and search through the area to get a numerical code that allows you to travel to the next destination. 2. While searching, you are warding off aliens (or whatever) with guns and other weapons. 3. After returning to your train (along with the code) you can use the resources you've found to treat and help other survivors. It is very difficult, but I actually quite enjoyed it. My problem was with the difficulty along with the text size. Even on a 55" TV I couldn't make out what characters and text on the screen were saying. That, and it appeared that much was lost in the english translation of the text. So I got really tired of getting closer to the tv to see what was meant for me to read, only for it to be a garbled mess of what the writers intended. (PS4)

Resident Evil 3 (remake) : Man, I get why people were frustrated with this game. It sure doesn't wear out its welcome and can be beaten in a couple of sittings. But I liked it a lot for that. I don't need a 400 hour game. This one is pretty much by the numbers. But people who loved the replayability of the RE2 remake are probably really irritated by this.  (PS4)
    I've been on a real Journey (PS4) kick again lately. I have been playing most every night for at least a quick run through the game. I randomly played it a week or two ago for the first time in quite some time. I had the pleasure of leading someone through about 60% of the game and definitely showed them two glyphs they had not discovered before. I have been chasing that high since.

Once you have unlocked all of the shrines you unlock a more powerful white suit and if I run into another player with one on, I lose interest. I only want to help the newer players. I also love that you can see how many times a player has been through the game based on the designs on their outfit. It maxes out at a certain point but if you see someone with minimal gold stitching on the bottom, you know they might need some help.

It really is one of my all-time favorite games. It's such a simple, basic experience but the music and the visuals and the feel of the game is just so primal and beautiful, I still love it.