What are you playing?

Comments

• finished the seasonal journey in diablo 3 so i could kick that habit again, got doom and have been playing some of that, also looped back to play a fair amount of farcry 4 (i had barely played it before).  overwatch is tempting me.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I am popping back in and re-playing GTA 5 (though this time the remastered version). Its amazing how large and beautiful this game still manages. All while balancing a bunch of different forms of gameplay as well as all the music and such.

What's the space crafting game Jim was talking about awhile back on Lunch/On The Rocks? 

Also the game that's the new craze and one of you guys tried it but didn't care for it. I don't think it was Stardew Valley, but it could have been. 

Offworld Trading Company was mentioned perhaps. But if it wasn't that one it was Kerbal Space Program

And yeah Jim did not like Stardew Valley, if memory serves.
    I think I remember Factorio coming up. That's a pretty insane micromanagement game. I tend to sit down with a coffee to play it in the morning and I'm shocked when I look away from the screen to find that it's dark outside and my coffee's gone cold. But at least tye robot trains are running on time.
    I think there are BaldPlay videos either out or coming out for Kerbal, so I have a hard time imagining them releasing videos on a game that Jim found painful to play.
  • There's currently a big Steam summer sale on through July 4, so there's a ton of great stuff with big discounts. I just picked up Soma, a sci-fi horror game from last year. It's really interesting so far. There's not really any action; just creepy atmosphere and bizarre, compelling story. It's set in a creepy underwater world and immediately calls to mind Bioshock. But it is not a shooter, though it is FPS perspective. 

Some others I may be picking up are The Witcher 3, MGS:V, XCOM 2, and Pillars of Eternity. I'm just waiting to see if the discounts get any bigger as July 4 gets closer. Sometimes they do.

Anyone plan on picking anything up?
    edited June 2016
    I tried Soma, but just couldn't get into it. The story is very interesting, but wasn't enough to make me get over the frustrating gameplay. I've seen it on a ton of other Best Of lists though, so it may just be me. I am wrapping up Firewatch right now. Damn...what an emotional, beautiful, character driven game. I'm loving it. Its a bit short, but that has never been a problem for me with games. I'd rather them not outstay their welcome.
    DaveyMacvoodoorat
  • I got The Witcher on sale during Memorial Day weekend and haven't played anything else since, I'm finally about to wrap up the main game then on to the DLCs. 

After that I'll go back to Uncharted 4 and Doom.
    DaveyMackojiattwood
  • @Garthgou81 I hear ya on Soma. It took me a while to get into it as well. I don't find the gameplay frustrating as such. Just very minimal, which can sometimes feel like you aren't doing much. It didn't really click with me until I started encountering NPCs. The interactions with these NPCs scattered around the world are really memorable in ways that a lot of other games in the genre aren't. But yeah, I can see how it's certainly not a game for everyone. 

Firewatch is on my list as well. I love the artist, Ollie Moss. He's made some great film posters over the years, Star Wars probably be his most famous: https://i2.wp.com/i.imgur.com/B2e5N.jpg

I also don't have a problem with games being short, for the most part. Especially with my time being as limited as it is. 
    I may give Soma another shot. I am of the firm belief that you should take breaks from games you aren't enjoying. You can always try again later and it may click better for you then. I had to give Fallout numerous shots to grab me...but once it did--boy howdy!
    DaveyMac
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Picked up Evoland on sale. It is a pretry neat homage to retro Zelda and Final Fantasy games, a must play if you have played a ton of said games.

Man...The Witness....what a frustrating game!  First, I just sort of suck at puzzles, so I guess starting from that point, this may not be the game for me.
  • @Luke I haven't heard of Evoland, but I may check it out. I used to play a lot of those kinds of games, though for me, it depends on what the battles are like in terms of whether I get into it or not. Is it more like Zelda or more like FF in terms of combat?
  • @Garthgou81 The Witness is on my list, but I haven't really been in a puzzle game mood for a while, so I think I'll hold off until it goes on sale even further in the future.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @DaveyMac it is a little of both. There are segments that are Zelda style dungeons and then also traditional turn based Final Fantasy.

The gameplay is constantly changing because it is the hook of he game that you see the gameplay evolve just like it did from early RPG'S to modern ones.

For example you start and the graphics are black and white gameboy sprites, but they eventually evolve to 3d models.

The gameplay is kind of shallow, and the story is more of a satire than an actual plot. It was worth the $3 or $4 I bought it for on sale though imo.
  • Despite my allergy to the MMORPG format, I have to grudgingly admit Star Wars the Old Republic is really really damn good.
    DaveyMac said:

@Garthgou81 The Witness is on my list, but I haven't really been in a puzzle game mood for a while, so I think I'll hold off until it goes on sale even further in the future.

Here are my pros & cons in case you or anyone else is interested:

Cons:

*The island itself: This thing is huge and very difficult to find your way around. I have read there is a map you can discver as well as a fast-travel system later on, but until then you really are doing a ton of wandering. I spent more time lost than doing anything else. 

*They do have different levels but unless you really know what you are doing you have no clue how to proceed after their handful of introduction puzzles. They give you the freedom to leave a puzzle and find another one you can solve, which seems great, but having a clear delineation of what order to go in would be helpful. Instead it is open-world and you could spend an entire evening not solving a damn thing and instead wandering around trying to find a single puzzle that is at your skill level. Some areas seem to have puzzles that can't be completed until later on in the game, so wandering from area to area with puzzles you can't complete (but don't know you can't complete) is unnerving.

*Speaking of skill level...the puzzles are incredibly brutal. Granted I am sort of a dummy and not a puzzle game guy. But even with that in mind it seems like they are on the tougher end of things.You really are left up to your own devices to figure out puzzles (not a bad thing, but I doubt many people will solve this game entirely on their own with no help from a walkthrough. I do remember hearing @A_Ron_Hubbard talk about playing it with @Cecily and that seems like it could be a fun experience. Putting your heads together with friends or family could be less frustrating.

*There is no storyline to speak of. Not a huge problem. But the lack of any sort of narrative makes it difficult to find a narrative to guide you in a direction around the island or what order to complete any of the puzzles in.

*Price. On PSN it is $39.99 currently. I am not saying this is too much, because for some the amount of hours they will sink into this thing is going to be well worth it. For big ol' dummies who struggle with puzzles, like me--this may be too rich their blood.

Pros:

*Beautiful game. Really gorgeous. The different areas of the island all have their own feel and color scheme.

*The puzzles themselves are very satisfying once/if you have figured them out. I know I will be using a walkthrough for much of this game. I've given in to that and am just going to enjoy the atmosphere at this point.

*You have to respect the amount of thought and work that went in to crafting all of these interlocking puzzles. It is actually a very impressive feat.

*If you are a puzzle person this is absolutely up your alley and in your wheelhouse and whatever euphemism you want to use.
  • @Luke That sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the breakdown. I think I'll definitely be picking that up.

@Garthgou81 Thanks for the detailed description. Some of the things on your cons side may actually end up being pros for me, depending on my mood when I actually sit down to play it. I think I may try to play it with my wife. She loves a good puzzle and she's generally a bit sharper than me when it comes to puzzling games.
  • Waiting for No-Man's Sky. Probably will be my next pick up. 
    DaveyMacFreddy
  • So I got a nice bonus at work and did an impulse buy on a desktop and HTC Vive. Should all come next week. Excited to get down on VR. Will let you guys know if it's the truth and future or a gimmick. Anyone else have a Vive or Rift?
    DaveyMac
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Still on Stardew Valley. Damn you @Jim! :p
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I've had a ton of fun with LEGO Star Wars : The Force Awakens over the past few days
    [Deleted User]
  • DanielDaniel Bangor, Maine
    I just finished The Last of Us and Arkham Asylum/City. Now I'm playing Red Dead Redemption with the Bioshock series to follow. I'm a very patient gamer.
    Daniel said:

I just finished The Last of Us and Arkham Asylum/City. Now I'm playing Red Dead Redemption with the Bioshock series to follow. I'm a very patient gamer.

Damn. Thats a string of great games. Not a clunker in the bunch!
    voodoorat
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Daniel said:

If you can be a bit more patient i know they're releasing the new BioShock collection this September. Includes all the DLC for all three of the games.

Daniel said:

If you can be a bit more patient i know they're releasing the new BioShock collection this September. Includes all the DLC for all three of the games.
    I know I'll be picking that up. Those games are great. The second one is particularly underrated, but the ending to Infinite is one of the best video game moments I've ever had.
  • DanielDaniel Bangor, Maine
    I think I bought the pack with the first two that came with lots of extras. I'm waiting for the next version of the PS4 to come out before I upgrade, so in the meantime, I'm playing PS3 games that show up on all the best of lists.
    @Garthgou81 i think the entire series is criminally underrated. Thankfully it's critically praised but I wish more people actually knew about it.
    Underrated? Really? I thought it was pretty well-known how amazing it is, but maybe thats just on the game reviewer circuit and not with the guys the pick up their yearly Call of Duty games. Bioshock is a first person shooter where I don't mind keeping the difficulty really low, because I find that the actual shooting mechanics aren't anything special and if the difficulty is ramped up it distracts from the amazing story.
    @Garthgou81 yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Sure the big ups know how fantastic it is but really more people should. But that's the case for all forms of media I guess. More people should know about the better shows and movies out there but tend to stick to the most popular ones
    edited July 2016
    Ah, of course. @WonderedObject , Which was your favorite Bioshock game, by the way? I think as much as I like the initial one's atmosphere and gorgeous underwater visuals, Infinite is just such an amazing experience.There are at least 4 sequences in that game (some larger, some smaller and quieter) that stand out as among the most surprising and amazing I have had in a game.
    @Garthgou81 you know I have to say number 2 but I really connected with infinite and having Elizabeth as a companion. I need to replay that