What are you playing?

Comments

• The witcher 3 did pre-order right. I got $7 off. its not much but it was straight up cash savings for giving them the money right away. 
  • The pre-order was cheaper? Hmmm cant complain about that.
  • yea. at least the US PlayStation 4 store was. it was 53.99 for the pre-order and most games are 59.99. actually thats $6 but still. 
  • How is it possible that I am so much better at real bowling than Wii bowling? JERKS!
    ksa1001
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Pre-order retailer exclusives and annual releases are why I stopped buying 99% of my games day 1.

I got burned so many times paying full price, not getting all the playable content, platform exclusive crap. Only to have the game go on sale before I could even finish it.
    Hatorian
  • @Luke

definitely happened to me a few times. I bought Shadow of Mordor day one then it sat on my shelf and by the time I got around to playing it it was on sale for like 29.99. lesson learned..
    Luke
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    The first series this happened to me with was Assassin's Creed. I was way into those games, loved the multiplayer, single player etc.

Ubisoft was one of the first companies to start this retailer exclusive playable content crap. Then I distinctly remember actively playing AC Brotherhood and before I was even done with it, not even like 6 months later there was a 30 dollar GOTY edition with all the DLC.

I learned my lesson and now wait for deep steam sales on any Ubisoft title. Really for any major AAA game.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Can't. stop. playing. Binding of Issac. Just one more dungeon roll. Just one more.

Ha ha.
    DaveyMac
  • Arkham Knight is god damn crazy good. Gotham is spectactular and GIGANTIC. Its down right beautiful when soaring around.

Im only at like 20% but my brain is going crazy trying to figure out who the Arkham Knight is.

Please dont spoil it if you already know!! ha
  • CoryCory New Scotland

I'm excited for Batman, but the pre-order business has gotten out of control.  I'm considering waiting for the GOTY edition so I can get all the content in one place on my chosen platform and save money to boot.  

Being I'm not a big gamer (by my teen years I had moved almost exclusively to sports games) I bought the first three Arkham games about 12-24 months after initial release, so I decided I would go for the pre-order this time to check out the other side of the equation.  From the comments here, it sounds like that was a bad idea.  There's really nothing valuable to gain, but things to lose (DLC?).

Furthermore, a friend bought his game the day it was released has completed it, and started New Game Plus, whereas my version is still with Canada Post until at least Tuesday (expected to arrived Thursday, after Canada Day).
  • My gamestop pre-order came with separate story missions. I have missions to play as Harley Quinn in Bludholm and the Red Hood missions to take down Black Mask. I think those will be fun but all the other stuff that would be in the Season Pass I dont care for.

Like extra Batmobile and Batman skins. Whoopdy F'n do in my opinion
  • I really want to play Arkham Knight as I loved Asylum and City, but I've got to wait until they patch the PC version as apparently it's loaded with problems.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I decided to hold off for the GOTY edition, which will probably have all the things in it.  I'm also getting really sick of this "season pass" bullshit, which is becoming codeword for "DLC that you pre-pay in advance for with no idea of the contents or scope".  You pay for a season pass and get a few re-dressed levels with no new mechanics and some cosmetic gear, that's some bullshit.  I mean, I guess I don't begrudge a company for making an ever more efficient money pump to extract dollars from gamer wallets, but it seems like they are sowing the seeds of their own destruction unless they do a better job with the value proposition part of the whole thing. 
    BenjaminMofojones333
  • I could see it being worth it if say it was like Half Life then Opposing Force then Blue Shift.. like ACTUAL new storyline to progress the franchise.

@DaveyMac ive heard that about PC too. Xbone has some issues here and there. I tried to silent takedown a guy who was standing next to a building. He then glitched to the top of that building. So i tried to takedown up there and we both glitched back down to the street where the takedown was successful
  • Yes, DLC is getting out of hand. I guess the only thing I can say is that as long as they are not "cutting content" from the main game it is a persons choice to buy it or not.

Anyway to Awnser the original question I'm playing Batman and Tales from the Borderland. I also play Titanfall almost everyday with a little Destiny from time to time.

When I'm done with Batman I'll jump on The Witcher while I patiently wait for Gears of War and Halo 5
  • I'm finishing up the remake of Shadow Warrior on PS4, picked it up on sale for $7.50, easily worth its non-sale price though, I'm quite pleasantly surprised with it.

The next episode of Tales From the Borderlands just came out a bit ago but I may hold off a bit and try to play the remaining episodes back to back, or at least closer together, it takes them goddamn forever to release episodes. Still haven't played the last Telltale GoT episode yet for the same reason.

Game I'm most looking forward to this fall is Fallout 4.
    [Deleted User]DaveyMac
  • Hatorian said:

The witcher 3 did pre-order right. I got $7 off. its not much but it was straight up cash savings for giving them the money right away. 

The Witcher 3 did pretty much everything right. It was 10% off if you preordered, plus an additional 10% off if you owned the previous games in Steam. And they've been thoroughly supporting it with patches and additional content without a hint of grimy DLC moneygrabbing. After dropping $80 on a broken, shitty, unrefundable, unsupported SimCity 2013 I swore that I'd never pre-order again, but I think it's safe to make an exception for anything from CD Projekt Red.
    HatorianDaveyMac
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Currently trying to complete The Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight before Metal Gear Solid V comes out. The Witcher is by far one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, the side missions are unreal.

As for Arkham Knight, I love it. The main story is awesome, wish I could go into specifics but don't want to spoil anything. Really thought I would hate the Batmobile but it's surprisingly cool and controls very well.
  • SERSER Eugene, Oregon
    I've gotten back into playing Darkest Dungeon.  It's a brilliant little indie game, with great artwork and voice acting.  You manage a roster of heroes and send them on quests to restore an estate/village to it's former glory.  

One of the main ideas of the game is that exploring dungeons, and getting injured and seeing your friends get injured and killed is very traumatic.  So you have to manage not only their health, but also their stress levels.  Stress will cause heroes to gain afflictions which have different effects and ultimately make stuff harder for you.  They can also sometimes gain positive traits from stress, but that is rare.  Between missions you can assign surviving heroes to certain stress relieving activities, but these take at least a week.  And since  you have to embark on a mission every week, this forces you to send out different parties.  For example I currently have a roster of 15 heroes, but only 4 heroes go out on a mission.  So because of deaths, and stress, a big part of the game is putting together the best group you can for that weeks mission.  So alot of the times you are forced to mix and match more experienced heroes with new recruits to make a balanced party, etc.  

A couple other notes about the game.  It is a 2D side scroller.  Combat is turn based, it seems kinda simple at first, but is surprisingly complex and deep.   The game only has one save slot and saves constantly.  This coupled with the fact that deaths are permanent makes the game pretty brutal.  Lotsa Lovecraftian stuff in the game.  Also, it is in early access.  As a rule, I normally don't buy early access games, but this one is very playable, and feels like a complete game, despite the fact they are continuing to add stuff.  I'm playing on PC, the game will be released on pc/mac/linux/ps4.  I think it's worth the money now.

A note to people who might wanna try it out.  Remember the game can be punishing, and you will lose heroes and fail missions.  It's best played keeping this in mind and continuing on rather than starting a new game.  It's a game about making hard decisions and making the best out of a bad situation.  

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  I'm obviously loving the game at the moment.  Think I will go play right now.

DaveyMac
  • So many games in my list, I had to cut it to the cream of the crop of what I am personally interested in to get it to a manageable , playable shortlist. 

At the moment, I am playing the Witcher 3 on PS4 as recommended by my Polish cousin, and, on the PS Vita- Dangranronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc: more like a visual novel than game where a crazy psychotic bear pits students who are at the top of their various fields against each other. All they have to do to escape? Murder someone within the school and get away with it! Oh you Japanese. 
  • @SER A couple of friends of mine are into Darkest Dungeon. It's on my steam wish list and I'm definitely looking forward to getting into after I've plowed through some other games I've already bought and never played. Steam sales really cause big backlogs to build.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Skyrim and Fallout 3 and New Vegas, as long as they keeping making mods for these games they will never die.
    DaveyMac
  • SERSER Eugene, Oregon
    @Davymac

I hear you about the steam backlog.  I have 179 games in my steam library.  Probably more than half of which I've never installed.  Damn tempting steam sales. I also have a ton of games in my gog.com library.  

Anyway, ya might wanna wait until the game goes into full release.  I think they said sometime this fall.  They also said that they wanna release it on tablets, but probably not until 2016.  I think the game could be quite decent on tablet.  Played a bunch tonight, and am officially annoyed with the game again.  But that is kinda the point, a couple missions that went way wrong.  Onward!

Also, I dunno if there are any old school gamers here.  But Bard's Tale IV kickstarter is entering it's final couple days.  If anyone has any interest in a modern take on a 3D dungeon crawler, give it a look.  The $25 tier comes with a lot of stuff.  Seems to be a good value.  I played the first 3 games for hundreds of hours as a kid, and have fond memories.  And while I'm not sure I want to return to that style of gameplay, they seem to be doing a lot to update it, and still keep a lot of the things that made it great.  Also a great small company, that's hard not to root for.  They put out Wasteland 2, a sequel to the precursor to fallout, last year.  And they are working on Torment:Tides of Numenera, a sequel to Planescape: Torment, which looks to be released this year.  Lotsa old school industry vets involved in their products.  And they don't do free to play or DLC, no microtransations.  Again, hard not to like them.  Anyway, check it out.

• DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited July 2015
    @SER Yeah I noticed that it was in early release, so I will hold off until fall, then. 

I kicked into both the Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarters and I've been seeing their updates on Bard's Tale IV, which I'm still on the fence about as I didn't really get into the previous Bard's Tales. Still thinking on it. I am really looking forward to the Wasteland 2 Director's cut though. And Tides when it comes out. 

One of the recent old school games that I'd like to check out as well is "Pillars of Eternity." I've heard really good things.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 2015
    Been stuck on Hustle Kings since it came out. Just your average free-to-play PS online pool game, but I like the mechanics. Bought Elder Scrolls Online the day it came out, but haven't even logged on in two weeks. All the reviews I had read made me skeptical, but in the end I decided to take the plunge since all the single player ES's are so awesome. If I had to sum it up in one word, it would be "bland." Just seems to lack the heart and wonder that makes the other games fun.

What I'm really looking forward to is Rory McIIroy PGA Tour 15. Love me some Golf Club, but it's just not the same without the licensed gear and courses.Rory McIlroy PGA TourRory McIlroy PGA Tour
  • SERSER Eugene, Oregon
    @DaveyMac

I liked WL2 a lot.  I even finished it, which is rare for me these days, especially a game of that length.  I was planning to replay it in a year or so anyway, so the Director's Cut gives me some more incentive.

I backed Pillars of Enternity(PoE).  It really looks like a very pretty Baldur's Gate.  If you were a BG fan, you can't load that game up and not be hit with waves of nostalgia.  The major difference from BG is that the game is not based on DnD rules.  And it isn't just a rip off of DnD either.  So learning the system took a little time.  Other than that, I found it enjoyable.  I haven't finished it yet, but I think I'm close.  They are also releasing an expansion later this year.  Free to backers.

As to Bard's Tale IV, as much as I loved the originals as a kid, that was a different time.    But I pledged more as a show of support for Inxile, as I like what they have been doing.  That said, I've become a little more excited about it.  They released a vision document a week or so ago, and I liked what I read.  They are funded by now anyway, not quite the success of their other campaigns though.  

Can't really think of other things I'm looking forward to right now.  Maybe Fallout 4.

• I was actually in the middle of WL2 and really enjoying it, but I got sidetracked for whatever reason. Then I saw the Director's Cut announcement and decided to wait for the that until I pick it up again.

Thank for the info. on Pillars. I actually wasn't all the familiar on it. Just saw that it had strong reviews and it's a throwback to BG, so I added it to the list. 

I'm also with you on Inxile. I'm glad to see they got it funded. I may still kick in just to support them. They also do great updates.

And yeah Fallout 4 is very high on my list of anticipated games. Huge fan of that series. I'm also looking forward to "Salt and Sanctuary", though I'm not sure if it's getting a PC release. I really hope so. It's a side-scroller heavily influenced by Dark Souls, which is one of my favorite series. 

Not a whole lot else this year I'm hyped on. I will be picking up The Witcher 3 at some point, but I gotta wait until it goes on sale.
    SER
  • SERSER Eugene, Oregon
    @DaveyMac

Witcher 3 is pretty cool.  I'm partially through a play through of that as well.  Lot of great moments and set pieces.  Some stuff I don't like, but def worth a purchase on sale.  They have really pushed the envelope for open world rpgs, while still keeping a strong story.

Dark Souls is something I should check out.  Have the "Prepare to Die" edition on steam.  I hear it's a bad port, but apparently there are some fan mods out there that fix it.  People I know love it lots.  

Never heard of "Salt and Sanctuary".  I will check it out.  That said, I'm exclusively a pc gamer.  Pretty much always have been.  Though, I have thought about grabbing one of new consoles.  Probably PS4, but I dunno.  

And yeah, love Fallout, have played and complete 1,2 and new vegas, have been thinking about giving 3 another shot.  I like what I played, just other things got in the way.

Anyway, thanks, feel free to add me on steam.

Oh, side note about WL2 Directors Cut, from what I have heard, saves will not be compatible with the orignal game.

DaveyMacJahaerysT
  • @SER Thanks for the Steam offer. I'll definitely add you.

I've actually only been on Steam for a couple of years. I was doing PC and console gaming for several years, but went exclusively console when I couldn't afford to keep upgrading my PC. Then a couple of years back friend showed me one of the big Steam sales, and the prices were ridiculously low, and the graphics were so much better, so I jumped ship. Only thing I regret at the moment is not being able to play "Bloodborne" as I don't have a PS4.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend getting around to "Dark Souls" at some point. Amazing game, though not for everyone. Had I not played the PS3 version first, I would say the port is crap, but the DSFix mod is pretty great. it's much better than the PS3 version once you get the settings the way you like. Graphics are dated, but the artwork, difficulty and level design is still fantastic. And there's nothing else quite like it out there. DSII: Scholar of the First Sin is a good game as well, though it's quite clear the B-team was developed as many elements are quite lacking compared to the first one. Though the controls are much smoother.

I'd also recommend finishing Fallout 3, though I think I prefer New Vegas due to the whole Faction system. And yeah, I figured the WL2 Directors Cut wouldn't be compatible with original saves, but I don't mind starting again with a new squad. I just don't have the time I used, and can't see myself playing it all the way through twice, so I figure it'd be better to start again with the new version.
  • New to the forum.
    I have been playing World of Warcraft for the last 8 years, but finally put it aside for a bit and am now playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. I am enjoying it a lot.