Solo: A Star Wars Story reactions from premiere seem... really good

13»

Comments

• edited May 2018
    I liked the movie, but can we all agree that the dice are stupid? They need to stop it with these god damn dice.

These stupid dice, that nobody remembers from the original trilogy, are now becoming a forced character memento for Han Solo, posthumously, I might add.

They must have shown close up shots of them at least 4 times in this movie, and I rolled my eyes every time. Also, they got the set-up and payoff reversed. The dice got their payoff in The Last Jedi, which came out BEFORE Solo, where the dice were set up.
    JoshuaHeterJaimieT
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I liked it but I didn’t love it.

Felt a little too long, and kind of unnecessary to be honest other than just being kind of fun.

I did love L3, the social justice hero that we need in 2018!

Also I’m just going to go ahead and finally accept that Emilia Clarke just isn’t a very good actress.  
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I liked the movie, but can we all agree that the dice are stupid? They need to stop it with these god damn dice.

These stupid dice, that nobody remembers from the original trilogy, are now becoming a forced character memento for Han Solo, posthumously, I might add.

They must have shown close up shots of them at least 4 times in this movie, and I rolled my eyes every time. Also, they got the set-up and payoff reversed. The dice got their payoff in The Last Jedi, which came out BEFORE Solo, where the dice were set up.

I’d call this a win for Disney if the biggest gripes from some people are the dice. I had no problem with it. 

Also most items with intrinsic value don’t really have much meaning until a person dies so it actually makes some sense as to why it was important to Luke and Leia in TLJ and then showing why it was important to Han in Solo to add the context because it wasn’t shown in the OT. 
    [Deleted User]
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    So I went to Rotten Tomatoes on my phone, just out of curiosity. Ya know, to see how it was doing. And I saw a headline stating it was the “best Star Wars since Last Jedi”. Are they just going snarky? When a review aggregate takes on that role, they aren’t allowed (ethically) to do that. I’m sure it was semi-sarcastic, but that’s pretty mean-spirited. 
    I don't see where it says that, but TLJ, despite some strong hate from some fans, has a 91% fresh rating on RT. So I can't see where that statement from RT would be a snarky or negative statement. 

If a critic said it, it could be positive or negative depending on how they rated TLJ.
    The point is that it is the only Star Wars since The Last Jedi. So, of course, it would be the best as it is the only other option, I suppose. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Well that was certainly....a movie, I guess
    0/2 on these “A Star Wars Stories” movies.
  • Oh no! No love for Rogue one?!
    Nah Rogue One is a movie that I like about 1/4 of which is my exact feelings regarding Solo. 
  • I can see how you could see it as snarky. 
    They literally ended up saying it's the best Star Wars movie since that last movie that came out.  Amazing critical insight there.

So I went to Rotten Tomatoes on my phone, just out of curiosity. Ya know, to see how it was doing. And I saw a headline stating it was the “best Star Wars since Last Jedi”. Are they just going snarky? When a review aggregate takes on that role, they aren’t allowed (ethically) to do that. I’m sure it was semi-sarcastic, but that’s pretty mean-spirited. 
    I don't see where it says that, but TLJ, despite some strong hate from some fans, has a 91% fresh rating on RT. So I can't see where that statement from RT would be a snarky or negative statement. 

If a critic said it, it could be positive or negative depending on how they rated TLJ.

• I liked it a lot. For some reason, the negative comments are pushing me to say I loved it. But no, I liked it. 
    JaimieT[Deleted User]
  • Apparently box office is looking like bustville, at least partially because of the bloated budget caused by reshooting the movie.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-dismal-solo-box-office-cause-disney-rethink-star-wars-strategy-1115233
    Also not comparing well at all with Rogue One.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/27/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-bombs-with-148m-global-weekend/#6dc054db221f
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    I knew looking out months ago it wasn't going to do well in ticket sales. They released it a month into Infinity War's run and the week after Deadpool 2 released. Really dumb release timing in a crowded box office. It could have had a 100% fresh on RT and it still would have underwhelmed this weekend. 

I'm going to see it, but everyone I know, including myself, was either out of town on vacation or grilling out and visiting family/friends this weekend. I had no time for a visit to the theater with the fam. 
    JaimieT
    Disney completely screwed themselves on the marketing and release schedule for this movie for very inexplicable reasons. 
  • edited May 2018
    There were a bunch of reasons that Solo was destined to do poorly at the box office and a large part a disappointing movie.  Coming out 1 week after Deadpool 2 and within a month of Infinity War, Memorial Day weekend is notorious for putting out bad numbers, bad marketing, creating a movie where the backstory is as cherished and already laid out as Han Solo, the directing disaster that it turned into... This movie had a lot going wrong for it and with that said I really enjoyed it and think it's getting completely shit on for reasons that are because the person viewing the movie went in with specific or high expectations.  I feel like the people that enjoyed this movie all went in with expectations in check and for the most part I think got what they expected.  It didn't try to be anything outside of what it is.  There were more gratuitous nods at previous movies than I would have preferred but that by no means wrecked the movie.
  • My expectations were about as low as they could get, and I guess the best thing I can say is that the movie didn’t come in under them? So yay? I pretty much knew how I would feel about Solo, and that’s what I ended up feeling like. I went to see it because I love the universe and I’m always interested in seeing new aspects of it, and those parts were the best parts of the movie, but I was never really going to be here for Elbow Nudge: A Star Wars Story and that’s what this was. I’m so desperate to move away from these characters and go into the future with the new ones, and they just aren’t doing it fast enough. 

I think /Film’s review pretty much nailed what I thought about it. This isn’t the worst movie I’ve ever seen, and it’s certainly not the worst SW movie I’ve ever seen. 

It’s a real shame that we couldn’t have gotten the Bonnie & Clyde movie with Woody Harrelson and Thandie Newton that we all deserved instead, though,
    Alkaid13
This discussion has been closed.