309 - "Intransigence"

2»

Comments

• That's actually a good point, that given her status she would be more at risk to be recognised than the show seems to be telling us. Other than that it's perfectly plausible that a daughter seeking for her father's approval (and potential succession) that much would launch in a quest to destroy the persons responsible for her father's demise.

Great episode but I was a bit confused by the actual structure of the ring, and also of the "inside". So have they crossed one barrier, and are now in some sort of bubble? Also not sure how Holden got to find the sphere above the ship. Real excited for next week.
    Elisa
  • I got the impression that she’s the organize-stuff-behind-the-scenes sister while Julie was the public-face-of-the-family sister. Like I know Paris Hilton has a sister, but I don’t know that I’d recognize her. She’s also on a ship with military folks and priests and such who may not be as dialed-in to the jet-set and seemed to want to avoid the rich lady when she heard her voice and got sent into the party flashback.

I might be subconsciously affected by being a book reader or something here, but this aspect of the set-up didn’t rub me the wrong way.
    ElisaPangs
  • I'd follow Captain Drummer anywhere after that speech. Chills!

Father of the year award to Jules-Pierre "you plan parties" Mao. If he doesn't rot in that prison cell I sure hope we see him spaced before the show ends...
    johnnytruantghm3Elisarkcrawfken hale
  • That was a Game of Thrones-worthy rally speech from Drummer, minus the subsequent bloodshed.
    JaimieT
  • Can't wait to make some Holden reaction gifs. The one thing that kind of didn't work for me was everyone sending capital ships in with no particular reason to think they would accomplish anything. Drummer's speech was good, but it would have helped to have some clear rationale expressed for going in there.
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Also this whole censoring fuck as forget thing is really awkward and hopefully will go away once it’s on Amazon. 
    I imagine it will go away, don't have syfy so I have the Amazon-purchased version and there is no censoring.  I had wondered what they were doing for broadcast.  At least they didn't go the "Yippee Kayay MISTER FALCON" route...
    ken hale
  • I really enjoyed this episode, especially the performances from all the cast members. 
    Elisa
  • Zsa004 said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    Also this whole censoring fuck as forget thing is really awkward and hopefully will go away once it’s on Amazon. 
    I imagine it will go away, don't have syfy so I have the Amazon-purchased version and there is no censoring.  I had wondered what they were doing for broadcast.  At least they didn't go the "Yippee Kayay MISTER FALCON" route...
    That's good to hear. I'd rather get a censored version than some vanilla version where they don't even have it in the dialogue.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited June 2018
    Good thing Monica and Cohen were on the Rocinante, else they might be going all TMZ on Mao Daughter Mk. 2, preventing her vengeance plan.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    So Julie's big moment with her dad was a big "forget you" to his face?

That's kind of hilarious. We get all the fucks on the Space channel in Canada.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Is there a reason they can't just mute it instead? It's a bit jarring, but not as much as "forget you." I can't imagine thinking that sounds better. 

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Hunkulese said:

A double "forget you" LOL. She thought about it, thought it was appropriate, said it again.
    Doctor_Nick
  • JaimieT said:
    Hunkulese said:

A double "forget you" LOL. She thought about it, thought it was appropriate, said it again.
    And Melba looked horrified.
    JaimieT
  • My buddy and I passed Tiffany Trump at the POV Bar in the W hotel back in February. She's sitting at a table with one or two friends, behind a velvet rope, less than 5 feet away. I vaguely recalled hearing of a Tiffany, but other than Ivanka and maybe the two eldest sons, I would not recognize any of his kids. Especially in person in a setting where I am not expecting such an encounter. I certainly would not have recognized her before Donald became president and was just a businessman/celebrity. 

Drummer is my new favorite character. Amos is still my old favorite.
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Listening to the cast, I agree with Aron re: Jules-Pierre Mao. I have a rich scumbag father who has threatened to disown me, who I no longer talk to, and I'm not batting an eye at the Mao storyline. "You just plan parties" is a gut punch sure, but I've had some of those.
    rkcrawfMelonuskA_Ron_Hubbard
  • chrisk said:
    Hoo boy, I had a lot of issues with this one, which is unusual for this show.

I realize a ship poked in and back out, but still found this very reckless on everyone's part. This is a protomolecule door leading to who knows where. I'm really curious how the book describes all this. Not just the action, but the space inside the ring.

I agree with this critique.  I think the entering the ring sequences and experience in general should have been depicted with a bit more awe and mystery.  I'm pretty confused as to what this space inside the ring consists of, as well. Like is there more depth and volume of space in there than the ring itself suggests? I had sort of thought the space inside the ring was a 2-d plane, but now they have all this room to manuever, so I'm a bit mystified.
  • ken hale said:
    chrisk said:

I realize a ship poked in and back out, but still found this very reckless on everyone's part. This is a protomolecule door leading to who knows where. I'm really curious how the book describes all this. Not just the action, but the space inside the ring.

I agree with this critique.  I think the entering the ring sequences and experience in general should have been depicted with a bit more awe and mystery.  I'm pretty confused as to what this space inside the ring consists of, as well. Like is there more depth and volume of space in there than the ring itself suggests? I had sort of thought the space inside the ring was a 2-d plane, but now they have all this room to manuever, so I'm a bit mystified.
    Have you ever caught a bubble on a bubble wand? The ring is the circle of the wand, and the opening to the bubble. There's room to manuever inside the bubble (and apparently a nucleus). You hit the edge of the bubble and you're done. 

Odd analogy, I'm sure. But it seems consistent with what I've seen.
    awookieeElisaMelonuskFlukes
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited June 2018
    rkcrawf said:
    ken hale said:
    chrisk said:

Have you ever caught a bubble on a bubble wand? The ring is the circle of the wand, and the opening to the bubble. There's room to manuever inside the bubble (and apparently a nucleus). You hit the edge of the bubble and you're done. 

Odd analogy, I'm sure. But it seems consistent with what I've seen.
    Only difference being that you can actually fly to the other side of the ring and not disturb the bubble, or see it. At least that's what I gather. 

The fact that it has a nucleus is interesting. I guess we'll learn more about that, but the things we know that have nuclei are building blocks - cells and atoms. But if that's what this is, it doesn't take up any space in our world, aside from the portal. So is it a building block of another world that humanity now has access to? Or is more like a nascent protomolecule equivalent of a solar system, since those also have a nucleus of a sort?
    Elisarkcrawf
  • LordBy said:
    I don’t know about that, I wouldn’t know one of Jeff Bezos’s kids if they came up and hit me in the face.
    Yeah, but if Jeff Bezos just was arrested after trying to destroy the universe, and the government previously had frozen all his assets and children's, I think their picture might have made it to a few  places before and after he was arrested and put in prison. I'm assuming he had a trial and that would have generated coverage. Just a bummer the story has been so good. 
  • kaimana said:
    I'm assuming he had a trial...
    LOL, Have you seen Averserala?
    Flukes
This discussion has been closed.