NFL 2018/19 Chat Thread

Comments

• kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Noel said:
    kuman07 said:
    Our new QB Pat Mahomes is basically in the HOF already. I kid, but I don't think anyone thought he would be this good. Most of us in KC were really excited for him to start his reign and new he was super talented but to start your career like this is unheard of. His young so he is obviously going to struggle eventually, interesting to see how he handles that. But enjoying the ride right now.

But our defense might be the worst thing I've laid eyes on. I usually go do something productive when the defense is on the field.
    I have several friends who went to Texas Tech and they kept telling me how great he was. I never got a chance to go see him, mostly because I didn’t want to drive out to Lubbock. But I’m so happy for him. Dude looks like a cross between Brett Favre and Warren Moon.
    Yea he had the skill set for sure. But there is always questions about college QBs who come out of that college spread offense, hasn't translated well to NFL in the past. Think it definitely helped he got to sit a year and learn behind Alex Smith. Andy Reid might not be the best in clock management but when it comes to game planning, he is one of the best. And so far I think he has done a great job coming up with game plans that works to Pat's strengths.
    Noel
  • It's official. And the Pats got insurance, get a pick back if he isn't active for 10 games.

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    holy shit. Mack is a beast!!
  •  :'(  watching Mack play for Chicago....love to watch him play, but sad we let him go. 
    Chinaski
  • Dickson is human after all! and Mack is just something else!
    Chinaski
  • Mitchell Turbotsky is a poor man's Dak Prescott at this point.  
    Mitchell Turbotsky is a poor man's Dak Prescott at this point.  
    wow. ok.
  • Trubisky is so far away from being ready its not fair to compare him to any QB. He’s literally the only starting QB in the league to play less than 13 college games in his career. He’s got so much to learn. It’s not fair for the kid to get killed by screenshots of open WRs when 99.9% of people would have probably ended up on their back if it was them. 

This is really his rookie year. New coach, new offense, entire new WR corps. I’m confident he will continue to improve. My only worry is giving up 2 first round picks if we don’t win. I love the Mack trade but if Mitch needs time to win those 1st round picks are going to be very valuable. 
    Chinaskikingbee67
  • And my wishes come true pretty much right after I post this hahahahhaha.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/17/vikings-cut-daniel-carlson-will-sign-dan-bailey/

As I was typing my initial post, that's pretty much what i had in the back of my mind.  Since the Sunday night game they were mentioning that Dan Bailey will still out there, I was wondering the Vikings would reach out and pay what they need to in order to get a more proven kicker for a team that they have to feel can truly contend for a superbowl this season.

As for Josh Gordon to the Pats, I get the Randy Moss comparisons, but there's a big difference in my opinion.  Moss had a ton of talent and it was more of a motivation thing with him.  Gordon has some talent (but not on Moss level) but his issues are more outside of football and I just don't see Belichick having patience with Gordon if he starts to screw around.  Then, it also takes time and effort to learn a new system on the fly.  I think there's been plenty of evidence that when a WR gets traded during the season, it takes some time to really get the new offense down and very rarely it's an instant click.  I'd set the over/under on Gordon with the Pats at 3 games (or if he's still in New England, he turns into Ochocinco level production when he was on the Pats and basically did nothing all season).

• And my wishes come true pretty much right after I post this hahahahhaha.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/17/vikings-cut-daniel-carlson-will-sign-dan-bailey/

As I was typing my initial post, that's pretty much what i had in the back of my mind.  Since the Sunday night game they were mentioning that Dan Bailey will still out there, I was wondering the Vikings would reach out and pay what they need to in order to get a more proven kicker for a team that they have to feel can truly contend for a superbowl this season.

As for Josh Gordon to the Pats, I get the Randy Moss comparisons, but there's a big difference in my opinion.  Moss had a ton of talent and it was more of a motivation thing with him.  Gordon has some talent (but not on Moss level) but his issues are more outside of football and I just don't see Belichick having patience with Gordon if he starts to screw around.  Then, it also takes time and effort to learn a new system on the fly.  I think there's been plenty of evidence that when a WR gets traded during the season, it takes some time to really get the new offense down and very rarely it's an instant click.  I'd set the over/under on Gordon with the Pats at 3 games (or if he's still in New England, he turns into Ochocinco level production when he was on the Pats and basically did nothing all season).

Yea as a Pats fan it's fun to fantasize about the second coming of Randy Moss, but I think you're right. The Ringer has a good piece up about why the odds are against Gordon becoming a game changer or even making it more than a few weeks in New England.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/17/17871858/josh-gordon-new-england-patriots-trade-cleveland-browns
    edited September 2018
    Hatorian said:
    Trubisky is so far away from being ready its not fair to compare him to any QB. He’s literally the only starting QB in the league to play less than 13 college games in his career. He’s got so much to learn. It’s not fair for the kid to get killed by screenshots of open WRs when 99.9% of people would have probably ended up on their back if it was them. 

This is really his rookie year. New coach, new offense, entire new WR corps. I’m confident he will continue to improve. My only worry is giving up 2 first round picks if we don’t win. I love the Mack trade but if Mitch needs time to win those 1st round picks are going to be very valuable. 
    yeah and the fact that he was still able to win some games last year with an awful coaching staff, a bottom barrel receiving corp, and a banged up O Line is impressive alone. there's going to be some bumps in the road and all he can do is learn from them. like last night he threw 2 picks but he kept grinding. had that been #6 from a few years back, he would have thrown in the towel (and a few more picks) and checked out. i dunno, i follow this team closely and there's been more good than bad from what i've seen from Trubisky.
    Hatorian
  • Almost a perfect week in Football.

5-0 in fantasy
    bears won
    and was a New England victory away from winning $200 on an $8 bet.

Ill take it though. 

cdrive
  • I’d like the entire Browns team tested for taking injections of Mayfield. 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I’m looking into how the Cowboys can trade for Mayfield
  • What? They have QB of the future, Dak Prescott. 
    Noel
  • I was extremely happy for Cleveland last night.  Seeing the stadium and the team have the excitement and energy they had when Mayfield took the field and dominated was awesome.  Granted it's only 1 game but Mayfield played very well and maybe, just maybe he'll be able to lead them into a new era of Browns that isn't well known for the win less seasons and a joke of a team.
  • Can anyone explain the rule to me why the Browns OL was not allowed to pick up the ball after a fumble and run with it at the end of the 1st half under 2 minutes?

I only saw a few plays last night and that call was confusing and made no sense. The game was on mute where I was so I don't know if they explained it or not.
  • Can anyone explain the rule to me why the Browns OL was not allowed to pick up the ball after a fumble and run with it at the end of the 1st half under 2 minutes?

I only saw a few plays last night and that call was confusing and made no sense. The game was on mute where I was so I don't know if they explained it or not.
    From my understanding there really is no good explanation to that rule.  There's just a rule that if it's within 2 minutes to the end of the half or the end of the game, a fumble cannot be progressed forward.  It obviously can be recovered but cannot be progressed forward.  Again it makes absolute zero sense to me but it's a rule out there.  I'm hoping someone on here has some kind of explanation because I'm curious myself.

As @letrbuck2006 said the rule is that if there is a fumble in the last 2 minutes (might be less) then the team that had possession of the ball cannot advance it if they recover it. Once the browns recovered it was considered a dead ball (I believe). If Jets has recovered they could advance it as they did not have possession prior to the fumble. It’s something new (as far as I know) as last night was the first time I’ve heard it. 
  • @KingKobra, i could be wrong, but i think that rule has been around for awhile.  I think it has something to do with a team intentionally trying to advance the ball via a fumble.  Like, if a player fumbles the ball and swats at it to knock it forward and out of bounds to get more yards.  Think it's along those lines or spirit of the game.
    KingKobra[Deleted User]
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited September 2018
    Fumblerooskis have been illegal in the NFL since the 1960s, in college since the 1990s. This is what that rule is trying to prevent:

https://youtu.be/pIRgXCB_sQE

EDIT:
    I remembered it had something to do with the Raiders. I think this specific rule in question is because of the Holy Roller play in 1978. 

https://youtu.be/TTxi_gYWyyI

Yeah, that was pretty bad. It’s a poor man’s forward pitch. 
    KingKobra[Deleted User]
  • KingKobra said:
    Can anyone explain the rule to me why the Browns OL was not allowed to pick up the ball after a fumble and run with it at the end of the 1st half under 2 minutes?

As @letrbuck2006 said the rule is that if there is a fumble in the last 2 minutes (might be less) then the team that had possession of the ball cannot advance it if they recover it. Once the browns recovered it was considered a dead ball (I believe). If Jets has recovered they could advance it as they did not have possession prior to the fumble. It’s something new (as far as I know) as last night was the first time I’ve heard it. 
    Also I remember hearing something that if the person that fumbled it picks it back up, they can advance the ball but nobody else on their team can.
    [Deleted User]
  • Thanks! I didn’t look it up before I posted. 
  • Ok. Thank you guys. Although the play last night was clean when he picked up, I can understand the rule from way back when. I guess it just sucks for any team where there is no bad intention like last night. 
    That crowd was FUCKING PUMPED when the OL got 9 yards on the carry.
  • Ok. Thank you guys. Although the play last night was clean when he picked up, I can understand the rule from way back when. I guess it just sucks for any team where there is no bad intention like last night. 
    That crowd was FUCKING PUMPED when the OL got 9 yards on the carry.
    I was definitely cheering the guy on at home.  I love seeing a big lineman that basically never has the hopes of touching the football besides snapping it or falling on a fumble pick it up and start to run with it.  
    [Deleted User]Noel
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'd really appreciate it if whoever kidnapped Derek Carr and replaced him with a non-football playing replicant could return him ASAP.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    What are the Vikings doing?
  • edited September 2018
    amyja89 said:
    I'd really appreciate it if whoever kidnapped Derek Carr and replaced him with a non-football playing replicant could return him ASAP.
    DC is DC. He’s been doing the same mistakes since at least preseason. Thankfully we still up. I’m more worried about our secondary coverage. We continue to get smoked when it goes long. We also have a non existent pass rush. 

Unfortunately my local affiliate decided to show a movie and not football, so I have to watch via the next biggest city OTA :/
    so that Ryan Tannehill is 10-1 in his last 11 starts apparently.