Where I felt bald move went wrong in 2018

Comments

• mjmullady said:
    I guess my take on this year was this is the year I was positive that I loved the content coming from here and am super excited about the future.  Obviously a lot of tent pole shows were not all there but I thought the Twitch experiment was worthy even if it didn't pan out, the cage was just fun and a cool experiment, and the deeper and more societal/political discussions stoked a fire for me
    I agree. I think there was some real magic in the early Twitch stuff like Groundhog Day and A.Ron sailing, but they may have 'went wrong' with trying to hit a more traditional twitch model. It was great when they were just doing shit they were into and interacting with the community. Not as much when they were trying to generate weekly content. This is coming from someone who would check in bi-weekly on any bullshit they'd stream.

Twitch doesn't seem to play nice with their club model, but I'd love if they could find a way to do something similar.
    jtmy92JaimieTDoubleA_Ronweeniegirlphil_nekomjmulladyrustywright4
  • I’ve heard they’ve done a bunch to Sea of Thieves to make it more enjoyable and right now there’s 7K viewers on a Friday morning. They were so great when playing that together and I feel like they could capitalize on that viewership with people stumbling across their stream which could ultimately lead to more BM subs
    DoubleA_Ron
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I really miss their Twitch live streams.  That was a lot of fun, both with their gaming and interaction and the chat.
    DoubleA_RonBloodyTacophil_nekorusskelly
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    I feel quite sad I haven’t had much BM to listen to this year. I always listen in bed it’s my sleeping aid plus I love the boys. Nothing has appealed to me of late. I simply relisten to TWD for bed audio. I know each one possibly word for word. I do listen to GoT when it’s airing. 
    gjames80
  • Graham said
    I think A.Ron said he would check out a couple episodes for the sake of the Baldies, don't quote me on that though.

Even though it deserves Leftovers respect for what it's done to the 30 minute sitcom I would rather he binge the whole show at a later date than ruin the flow and surprises it gives. It will always win a Baldie in my heart.
  • The Expanse podcast and the lunches alone were worth my annual subscription fee.

Please, guys, keep on putting out a new BaldMove TV every once in a while. Without you, I would not have discovered Sharp Objects or Barry, two of my favorite shows this year. Thank you for that!

For the First Run Bald Movies, I could personally do with fewer super hero and action movies, and more movies that inspire insightful discussion about societal issues like Snowden, The Post, or Annihilation. I love those. Even a bad movie like The Circle sometimes inspires a great discussion.

I liked Season of the Cage, but I already miss the original Commissioned podcasts. There is just a special type of excitement when suddenly a podcast for one of your favorite classic movies appears in the RSS feed. I'm still hoping to get your take on Goodfellas, on I Heart Huckabees, and on Star Trek VI one day.

Thank you for your attention and for continuing to enrich my enjoyment of television! Happy 2019!
    NoelrkcrawfDoubleA_RonSchluppGiovanniElisaOldGriswoldjtmy92mac.maguiresamolly
  • Schlupp said:
    I added an insightful tag, it's much better balanced now.  :)
    In bald move tv I would like more short takes as they did with that stephen king show:
    "Watched 3 episodes, nothing special, sorry Steve, moving on."

It seems to me that the problem from a caster side is that you could potentially spend 4+ hours of work to provide 10 minutes of content feedback which isn't terribly beneficial or unique
  • I felt the guys sounded a little bored toward the end of year , maybe they were just tired and looking ahead for the holiday break. Anyway am looking forward to great content in 2019 , baldmove enhances my tv watching experience . Happy New year to all . 
    darwinfeeshyrhcooprusskelly
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited January 2019
    For me personally, it was just kind of a shit year for TV. I was bored by The Handmaid’s Tale, Sharp Objects, Barry and other stuff everyone else seemed to love. Better Call Saul had some outstanding moments but a lot of padding, I have no interest in all the sci fi and YA whatnots Netflix is churning out, there was no Game Of Thrones, Stranger Things, Fargo... 

I ended up reading books most of the year rather than watching TV. This year seems shaping up to be better - new Luther this week, new True Detective, the three I mentioned above are all back, new Catastrophe next week. Not that BM will cover many of these, but I’m still keen to have some things to actually watch. 
    NoelrkcrawfElisa
  • Wow, new Luther?! I love idris Elba based on that show alone. Awesome! 
    Deerkcrawf
  • For some reason I feel like it was a down year, but then I remember that we had podcasts on The Expanse and The Terror, so I'm not sure why I feel that way. There's always going to be loads of great TV that can't be covered, and my favourite podcast has always been for a show that definitely doesn't deserve coverage (TWD). So who knows.

My own two cents would be 'please no more Marvel superhero twaddle', but a lot of people seem to be asking for exactly that.
    GiovanniElisaDeeSchlupp
  • MFG said:
    The Expanse podcast and the lunches alone were worth my annual subscription fee.

Please, guys, keep on putting out a new BaldMove TV every once in a while. Without you, I would not have discovered Sharp Objects or Barry, two of my favorite shows this year. Thank you for that!

For the First Run Bald Movies, I could personally do with fewer super hero and action movies, and more movies that inspire insightful discussion about societal issues like Snowden, The Post, or Annihilation. I love those. Even a bad movie like The Circle sometimes inspires a great discussion.

I liked Season of the Cage, but I already miss the original Commissioned podcasts. There is just a special type of excitement when suddenly a podcast for one of your favorite classic movies appears in the RSS feed. I'm still hoping to get your take on Goodfellas, on I Heart Huckabees, and on Star Trek VI one day.

Thank you for your attention and for continuing to enrich my enjoyment of television! Happy 2019!
    Completely agree about the insightful conversation. I prefer an intelligent discussion to comedy or action coverage. 

I agree with most others that it was a pretty down year for TV. Even the stuff I liked was just okay. The Expanse and Better Call Saul were the only things I really got into. 
    ElisamylifeaskirkFlukes
  • Bald move TV is the feed I think they could really amp up next year. Summaries or Biweekly check ins with shows they're watching or even just checking out would be a great regular feature. Let's them hits searches for those shows too, finding new listeners .
    darwinfeeshyMFGmylifeaskirkElisaFlukesrusskelly
  • I feel like a lot of their time this fall was spent working on the christmas stuff. Also looking for a new studio. Unfortunately it takes a long time to script and edit the one man manger stuff. So They sunk a lot of time and effort into something that was low yeild in terms of content time. Especially when we are used to getting like 4 christmas movie podcasts and live watches. 
    rhcoop
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    jhpark said:
    Wow, new Luther?! I love idris Elba based on that show alone. Awesome! 
    They showed all four episodes over four nights this week in the UK (I acquired it here in Murdoch-locked Oz by nefarious means). 
    ElisaFlukes
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    sbench2 said:
    I feel like a lot of their time this fall was spent working on the christmas stuff. Also looking for a new studio. Unfortunately it takes a long time to script and edit the one man manger stuff. So They sunk a lot of time and effort into something that was low yeild in terms of content time. Especially when we are used to getting like 4 christmas movie podcasts and live watches. 
    I agree with you.  I appreciate the imagination and the effort that went into it, but I don't know if the view was worth the climb on the one man manger skit.    

I would have rather had more Christmas movie shows, lunches or a revival of cocktails with J&A than it. 
  • I mean Im piling on at this point but I sometimes listen for reinforcement of my own opinion...they saved 4 hours of my life on the Romanoffs and I probably would have watched if not for someone saying..."yeah...your not crazy it sucks" and I can't believe no one has said the magic word for 2019..."WATCHMEN"...and of course Sharper Objects.
    alexander.klassen
    I always feel so bad when I see this thread hit the top of the forum list again.  :frowning:

I hope the guys don’t take this too personally and still know how much we all really appreciate them.
    gguenotBroRad33Chinaskimac.maguireFlukesNoel
  • Baldalowda!!! Spin the forum!! We have  gravity, sort of. Bring your wounded. Please keep reactions under the forum's threat threshold so we can soon leave the slow zone.
    To pochuye ke?
    alexander.klassenFlukes
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Michelle said:
    I always feel so bad when I see this thread hit the top of the forum list again.  :frowning:

I hope the guys don’t take this too personally and still know how much we all really appreciate them.
    I don't think anyone has been particularly vicious with them.  There isn't anything wrong with constructive criticism.  

They are big boys, I'm sure they would rather know if something missed the mark or they can work on something instead of listeners leaving the club or not listening or providing feedback. . 
    mac.maguiretinguduReniDoubleA_RonNoel
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2019
    (deleted this top section because after reading it with the point that I arrived at it really started to sound really snarky and not just really goofy, as I intended. That's the trouble with stream of consciousness. Sometimes you end up creating totally different context)

As much as I agree that constructive criticism is valuable this thread has made me feel a little weird. I get that there is value in it, but it bums even me (who has nothing to do with anything) out a bit. Even as tactful/gracious and respectful as people are being it kind of feels like dancing on the "piling on" line. I do realize that "who am I to criticize the thread" though. A.Ron has chimed in and seems to have done so thoughtfully and non-defensively so why should I speak against it? I acknowledge that, but it just gives me a weird feeling all the same. I think the ultimate solution though is that I have to just not click on it. Now I have just worked that out in my head and typed a transcript. The best of days to everyone who got this far in my self-indulgent brain vomit. Cheers!
    MichelleChinaski
  • I think for the seasoned BM members who have interacted with the OP, they understand who posted this, and how to read the title with context.
    MichelleMurderbearChinaskiElisa
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    The title just gives a general bummer. So, while I know I helped bump the thread, I really will not miss it just disappearing into the void. 
    MichelleChinaski
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I have no beef with the guys and their content at all - my beef is with the shitty TV (in my opinion) in 2018. I hope no one thinks I’m piling on. 
    Chinaskijtmy92Elisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    ill bump this thread to say that they went wrong with not enough @Carter gems live watches during lunch  :D
    MurderbearTravisFlukeshisdudeness915NoelCarter
  • I will reiterate what I already said early on in the thread: let's not be defensive.

As a service designer, customer reseach is a big part of my daily job. And I know that spontanious, unsolicited feedback from customers, especially the negative stuff, is GOLDEN. It can give you valuable insight into why customers might be disengaging with you; information which you would otherwise have no way of finding out about (you can look at churn rates, but that only tells you how many people are leaving - not why)

Of course I can't know if the guys view it that way, but Aron seems to be welcoming the feedback, and not mind the thread title. Keep in mind that they receive many, many emails every week in which listeners express their appreciation for BM (which they choose not to read out loud during the podcast, because it would sound like autofellatio - I'm paraphrasing here)

I think it's great that OP took the time to list the things he was disappointed with this year. It just shows that he cares about the content, and probably also about BM as a company and a community.
    MFGgguenotrhcoopDoubleA_RonBloodyTacoGiovannitingudu
  • I feel like not covering Star Trek:Discovery was a missed opportunity. TNG, DS9 & TOS remain a baseline touch point in so many pods as comparison or an analysis tool. The first new ST show in well over a decade & no coverage? I was disappointed. 

Sure, there are lots of other pods out there for STD but none terribly good. I feel like this would have leaned-in to the strengths of BM. 

Beyond that, I think a general 'Lunch'-type pod where the guys just talk about what they've watched & the news of the past week would be a 'hook' for new listeners. Lunch is super popular & a great Club feature but to really grow the audience, 'newbies' need a up-to-date hook on what really works - the banter between Jim & A.Aron. That's what I'd suggest leaning into for 2019 & beyond. 

Also worth noting is that sometime organizations need to 'Ready, Fire, Aim'. I think that's where BM is with the 3rd employee. Time to take that leap or soon it will be more than half a decade of waiting for all the right circumstances. That'd be too bad
    MFGDoctor_NickElisa
  • A moment in 2018 where I felt things could have gone seriously wrong was with the black klansman stuff when Aaron was all pumped to get more involved into politics and social justice stuff. I am glad that didn't happen, it might spice up things from time to time with the right guest maybe, but it doesn't really fit baldmove since it blocks the flow of conciousness if you have to tread extra careful or to apologize in advance not to upset anyone.
    edited January 2019
    Edit: nm
  • I will reiterate what I already said early on in the thread: let's not be defensive.

As a service designer, customer reseach is a big part of my daily job. And I know that spontanious, unsolicited feedback from customers, especially the negative stuff, is GOLDEN. It can give you valuable insight into why customers might be disengaging with you; information which you would otherwise have no way of finding out about (you can look at churn rates, but that only tells you how many people are leaving - not why)

Of course I can't know if the guys view it that way, but Aron seems to be welcoming the feedback, and not mind the thread title. Keep in mind that they receive many, many emails every week in which listeners express their appreciation for BM (which they choose not to read out loud during the podcast, because it would sound like autofellatio - I'm paraphrasing here)

I think it's great that OP took the time to list the things he was disappointed with this year. It just shows that he cares about the content, and probably also about BM as a company and a community.
    Who was being defensive?