Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• The Discovery

Weird pacing. Vary sparse. I liked the premise: Robert Redford as a scientist who discovers proof of an afterlife, which sparks a rash of suicides. It starts off very slow and quiet, then picks up pace and complexity a little more than halfway through like a golden spiral. 
    I liked the unexpected denouement & ending but overall kind of meh. 
  • edited March 2019
    I Think We're Alone Now (2018)

5/10

Because I watched Nymphomaniac (2013), Netflix recommended something else starring (briefly) Charlotte Gainsbourg -- I Think We're Alone Now. "Peter Dinklage in the apocalypse" sounds like a concept that it would be impossible to turn into a mediocre movie, but here it is, they have achieved it. Elle Fanning of the terrible Neon Demon (2016) co-stars. Apparently this girl is an actress, but I'm not convinced. Stop trying to make Elle Fanning happen. She isn't going to happen.

Like all apocalypse movies, ITWAN's beginning is interesting -- but I suspect this is just the nature of the genre. Things start to go downhill (both for Dinklage's character and the audience) when Elle Fanning arrives. By the time Charlotte Gainsbourg makes her appearance the movie is in serious trouble. The ending is trite and unsatisfying.
  • edited March 2019
    Finally sat down to The Graduate, 1967.

I don’t wanna write a full review here, I probably don’t need to for a 50 year old film. But damn everything about thing is pretty much what I hoped it would be. I read it’s sitting at like #22 on top grossing movies of all time.. I hope in 20 years or whatever tiny character pieces like this can cause such a splash in pop culture again.

9/10.
    Landscraping
  • APOLLO 11

9 out of 10

Just got back from watching Apollo 11 documentary and it was great. There was a lot of never seen before footage. The space nerd in me was very happy, and a little angry that we threw a great legacy away by quitting and doing next to nothing for 50 years.
  • Teenage Cocktail (2016)

4/10

I generally don't like "slice of life" type stories. This is a pretty solid one, but boring. The ending is tacked on and makes it seem like there has been some kind of victory, even though the girls' issues haven't been resolved and they should be in more trouble than ever by that point.
  • Us

Jordan Peele might be a lunatic, guys. This movie is so goddamn weird and so funny and so creepy while also being completely derivative and predictable, and I say neither of those last 2 things negatively, especially if you keep your eyes peeled early on in the movie for certain ‘extracurriculars.’ 

I will say this- If you’re going in expecting anything even remotely similar to Get Out, put that out of your head immediately. This is a straight-up surrealist horror movie.
    telephoneofmadnessSnarlingNikki
  • Us

Jordan Peele might be a lunatic, guys. This movie is so goddamn weird and so funny and so creepy while also being completely derivative and predictable, and I say neither of those last 2 things negatively, especially if you keep your eyes peeled early on in the movie for certain ‘extracurriculars.’ 

I will say this- If you’re going in expecting anything even remotely similar to Get Out, put that out of your head immediately. This is a straight-up surrealist horror movie.
    I enjoyed the movie as well. I feel like this movie was far more suspenseful and creepy rather than giving it a descriptor of horror.  I don't want to say much more without having a separate spoiler thread but yes technically this movie falls into the horror category but it's not a very scary movie in my opinion. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    FINALLY watched Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse. Holy shit it's amazing!
    DaveyMaccdrivedarwinfeeshyAww_PHuuCkTravis
  • The Circle (2017)

2/10

This is not a good movie, but there are some ideas here that I don't think I've seen before in film. Essentially, it's the George Orwell 1984 surveillance trope, but with the difference that a) everybody is voluntarily signing up to be spied on, and b) the totalitarianism is coming from liberals (protecting human rights is one of several pretexts for having cameras everywhere).

The movie starts with call center worker Mae getting a job at culty social media company The Circle (Facebook meets Apple), where somehow her career trajectory involves her being simultaneously a naive deer-in-the-headlights but also a ruthless, apex predator super-employee.

We get the one-two punch of bad actors Emma Watson and Karen Gillan. Oh, and there's something else this movie has that I haven't seen before in film -- the only reason that the twist at the end works is that Emma Watson is such an emotional black box that at no point in the movie is it possible to understand what her character's motives or opinions are. The Circle might the first example in history of bad acting being used as a smokescreen for a plot point.
  • FINALLY watched Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse. Holy shit it's amazing!
    I also just saw Spider-verse and I loved it too! Absolutely lived up to the hype. A rare occurrence.
    cdrivedarwinfeeshyMurderbear
  • edited March 2019
    Fucking Gladiator (2000)

first time seeing it.. wow.

(Most of you will probably have seen all the films I will mention in this thread, don’t mind me nothing new here I’m just passing by haha)
    Hatorian
  • Finally just watched The MEG, it was okay i guess, I tend to judge movie against what they are and not the gold standard, but I thought it was a little tame, and semi-slow.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Us - fun and hilarious

A Star is Born - watched half of it.  Couldn't get into it enough.  Kept being distracted by Bradley Cooper talking like Sling Blade.

Honey I Shrunk the Kids - Nice to remember how important the music was to this film.

A Few Good Men - Was on in the background and got sucked in.  
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Dumbo. It was alright, solid family film. Definitely had the Tim Burton style of directing. Not a lot of depth but cool to see a baby elephant flying around. It was ok for what it was. I wouldn't expect to be leaving the movies in tears or anything like that.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The Highwaymen - Slow and boring. Not much else to say. I guess it's pretty looking.
  • Fucking Gladiator (2000)

first time seeing it.. wow.

(Most of you will probably have seen all the films I will mention in this thread, don’t mind me nothing new here I’m just passing by haha)
    Iucky you. best part of the movie by far...top 10 epic quote of all time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChgwuoWTVy8

hisdudeness915CALVlLlAIN
  • edited April 2019
    Watchmen (2009)

.. I dunno. The first hour of this is one of the most brilliant head turning 60 minutes of film I’ve seen in a while. So much energy. I love the drab noir tone Snyder captures. I love the random pop music choices. The editing is perfect. The almost anime looking colours. I’m assuming a lot of the stuff I’m mentioning is straight out of the graphic novel right?
    Meanwhile everything after the set up and world building went down hill and lost me. While the visuals remain very good, it kinda wore out it’s welcome and the plot became very generic and by today’s standards tropey to me, contrary to what the first act was doing on every level but whatever. Some great ideas, I hope Lindelof captures everything about the first hour of this for movie for his series.

6/10.

Question: How is the series gonna be any different to the movie? Isn’t there only one Watchmen novel? Is Lindeloff gonna take these characters and the tone and do his own thing?
  • Watchmen (2009)

.. I dunno. The first hour of this is one of the most brilliant head turning 60 minutes of film I’ve seen in a while. So much energy. I love the drab noir tone Snyder captures. I love the random pop music choices. The editing is perfect. The almost anime looking colours. I’m assuming a lot of the stuff I’m mentioning is straight out of the graphic novel right?
    Meanwhile everything after the set up and world building kinda went down hill and lost me. While the visuals remain very good, it kinda wore out it’s welcome and the plot became very generic and by today’s standards tropey to me, which is completely the opposite of what the first act did but whatever. Some great ideas, I hope Lindelof captures everything about the first hour of this for movie for his series.

7/10.

Question: How is the series gonna be any different to the movie? Isn’t there only one Watchmen novel? Is Lindeloff gonna take these characters and the tone and do his own thing?

I believe the series is set 20-30 years after the book / movie
    CALVlLlAINChinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    stumbled onto  A Simple Favor. my review in 4 words.. entertaining and super silly.

amyja89Jenny
  • edited April 2019
    Watchmen (2009)

Meanwhile everything after the set up and world building went down hill and lost me. While the visuals remain very good, it kinda wore out it’s welcome and the plot became very generic and by today’s standards tropey to me, contrary to what the first act was doing on every level but whatever. Some great ideas, I hope Lindelof captures everything about the first hour of this for movie for his series.

6/10.

After further thought on this..... I’ve decided I’m gonna do some more thinking on it. 

Directors cut it is.
  • edited April 2019
    The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
    I thought it was fantastic
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Just watched Apocalypse Now for the first time. I have no idea what the fuck happened, that was a trippy god damn movie.
    CALVlLlAIN
  • DaveyMac said:
    FINALLY watched Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse. Holy shit it's amazing!
    I also just saw Spider-verse and I loved it too! Absolutely lived up to the hype. A rare occurrence.

I'll keep this chain going.  I also just saw Spider-verse and enjoyed it even though it has been hyped so much. It deserves the hype.

A little shout out to whoever did the soundtrack. Not much there that I would normally listen to but it always seemed to fit the scene perfectly.
    DaveyMacMurderbear
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm planning to finally watch A Star Is Born this weekend.  I can't believe it's taken me *this* long, as great of buzz that I've heard about it.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I watched Coherence last night. A small, little, low-budget sci-fi movie that is completely in the Bald Move wheelhouse. It blew my mind. It is in the vein of Triangle and Primer. It is pretty great and available on Amazon Prime. Also, with a run time of barely 90-minutes, it is a quick watch that gets going and doesn't really slow down. 
    telephoneofmadnessgguenot
  • Just watche UPGRADE last night, pretty good movie for something that i dont think was in the theaters long or at all.
  • I watched Coherence last night. A small, little, low-budget sci-fi movie that is completely in the Bald Move wheelhouse. It blew my mind. It is in the vein of Triangle and Primer. It is pretty great and available on Amazon Prime. Also, with a run time of barely 90-minutes, it is a quick watch that gets going and doesn't really slow down. 
    The concept of this was really good. I was annoyed because there were parts that were improvised badly (like when the guests are introducing themselves and talking about their backgrounds), and if just one hour had been spent scripting those parts the movie could have been so much better.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I watched Coherence last night. A small, little, low-budget sci-fi movie that is completely in the Bald Move wheelhouse. It blew my mind. It is in the vein of Triangle and Primer. It is pretty great and available on Amazon Prime. Also, with a run time of barely 90-minutes, it is a quick watch that gets going and doesn't really slow down. 
    The concept of this was really good. I was annoyed because there were parts that were improvised badly (like when the guests are introducing themselves and talking about their backgrounds), and if just one hour had been spent scripting those parts the movie could have been so much better.
    Yeah, that is one of the two things I would have changed. For improvising actors, some do it amazing (Larry David), but when it it is really bad, it is really bad and stands out like a sore thumb. The other thing I would have changed...the shaky cam gets to be a bit much at times. They could have tightened that up, it doesn't all need to be steady shots, but this was excessive. 
  • edited April 2019
    Persona: Love Set (2019)

7/10

I watched the first chapter of Netflix's Korean movie Persona (originally scheduled for release on April 5 2009, but delayed because of wildfires in Korea). It seems like the movie is going to be made up of 4 ~20-minute-long vignettes. Love Set is about a surreal, sexually charged tennis match between Doona Bae and IU.

This chapter is so short that I can't think of much to say about it at the moment, except to recap the plot. The story is about a strange love-triangle between Doona Bae, IU (both playing themselves), and IU's fictional Dad. That is, IU and Dad seem to be in an incestuous (or incest-adjacent) relationship, Bae is Dad's girlfriend, and (as is later revealed) Bae and IU are in a lesbian relationship (or soon will be). 

Bae and Dad play tennis while IU jealously watches. After, IU and Dad play tennis. IU is very bad (she can hardly return Dad's serves). As Dad collects the hundred tennis balls littering the court, IU climbs onto Dad's back and suggestively humps him. Then, Bae challenges IU to a tennis match. The stakes: if Bae wins, IU ends her relationship with Dad and marries an acquaintance that IU brought to the tennis court to seduce Bae. If IU wins, Bae ends her relationship with Dad. After a lot of IU being beaten at tennis, Bae and IU sweating in slow motion, suggestive peach-biting, blood running down legs, IU collapsing from exhaustion, and a special Native American handshake between Bae and IU, Bae mysteriously agrees to end things with Dad. At this point it becomes clear that the REAL reason IU wanted to break up Bae and Dad is that she doesn't want to share Bae. Now Bae is 1 point away from winning the match -- IU has not scored a single point. IU grimaces crazily and serves, and the camera swings upward, ending the chapter.
  • edited April 2019
    Persona: Collector (2019)

8/10

The weirdness continues. This is like a Korean Twilight Zone.

Persona: Kiss Burn (2019)

7/10

So this is why the movie was delayed. It's a comedy about two girls starting a forest fire.

Persona: Walking at Night (2019)

6/10

The weakest of the 4 stories. Nothing new here.