U.S. Politics Vol. 7: A Dream of 2020

Comments

• Beto is a serious contender right now because of his impressive initial fundraising and his being in the top 5 in the polls, but it’s so early who knows? Guiliani would have been the GOP nominee in 2008 running against Clinton instead of Obama, and Jeb! the GOP nominee in 2016 based on these early measures.

It’s a long campaign. We’ll have a better idea after the first debate or two and when the first quarter fundraising is announced. All of the candidates running with the possible exception of Marianne Williamson and Tulsi Gabbard are folks I could get behind, and I’d still show up and vote for them over Trump if that was the choice I had to make.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Beto needs to stop this jumping around on counters youth pastor shit. His sitting on the chair backwards energy gets old really fast, especially since he doesn't really ever say anything.
    Dee
  • Beto 100%. Nothing against women but Trump will destroy them like with Hillary. We need someone who has stage presence.
  • Beto needs to stop this jumping around on counters youth pastor shit. His sitting on the chair backwards energy gets old really fast, especially since he doesn't really ever say anything.
    Maybe he’s trying to do the double patented A Ron Riker backwards chair move but his pants don’t split and he doesn’t have a backup plan so he just sits there and says nothing?
    Flukescdriveweeniegirl
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Beto 100%. Nothing against women but Trump will destroy them like with Hillary. We need someone who has stage presence.
    "I'd vote for a woman, just not any of these women."
    MrX
  • edited March 2019
    Beto 100%. Nothing against women but Trump will destroy them like with Hillary. We need someone who has stage presence.
    Edit - thanks for clarifying. 
    Frakkin TFlukes
  • Beto 100%. Nothing against women but Trump will destroy them like with Hillary. We need someone who has stage presence.
    dafuck? Hillary had unique issues relating to her long career in the public spotlight that lead to her defeat. Sure sexism played a big role in 2016 but dismissing all the current female candidates for being women and assuming they can't beat Trump is messed up. Beto's debates w/ Cruz weren't his strength in 2018 ... he came close because of his $$ and his smart media strategy.

Who would be the best against Trump? I have no idea right now. The only way to know is to get them all up on stage and see how they perform on the stump when the race is really underway, and see how it shakes out.
    CeciliaMgguenot
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    asmallcat said:
    So a woman can't have stage presence? What the fuck is this dumb sexist bullshit? 
    This is why nobody goes to see Beyonce live. Can't fight facts. :D
    CeciliaMBrieanneFreddy
  • No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for those 2 things to run into each other. Of course a woman can have stage presence. I was talking about how Beto has a lot of stage presence which is good versus Trump. I didn't mean to cause any offense and I apologize. There are some great women candidates but Trump knows how to be sexist against them and I think that has shown to be affective.
    MrXasmallcatDee
  • No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for those 2 things to run into each other. Of course a woman can have stage presence. I was talking about how Beto has a lot of stage presence which is good versus Trump. I didn't mean to cause any offense and I apologize. There are some great women candidates but Trump knows how to be sexist against them and I think that has shown to be affective.
    No worries, thanks for clarifying!

I would say to remember Trump was effective at bullying a whole bunch of men in the Republican primary. He will find a way belittle whoever ends up being the Democratic nominee - I think it's important not to try to guess how theoretical matchups against Trump would be, and instead choose the nominee that has the best qualities and policies for the American people. That's largely how Democrats were able to do so well in 2018 and I think it will work in 2020, even though this time it will be directly against Trump.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Beto needs to stop this jumping around on counters youth pastor shit. His sitting on the chair backwards energy gets old really fast, especially since he doesn't really ever say anything.
    Who's saying he isn't saying anything? Just curious.

https://radio.wpsu.org/post/beto-o-rourke-visits-penn-state-sending-message-unity-young-people
    "O’Rourke spoke about reforming the criminal justice system, expunging marijuana records, ensuring universal health care and making those implicated in the opioids crisis accountable.  He received the biggest cheers for promising action on climate change."

So I saw this yesterday:

I mean, Jesus.  Now I think Beto is going to literally knock on the door and sit down at every single American's dining room table by the end of 2019.  
    Travis
  • @MrX  I also remember it well. I remember almost every single car had some kind of flag thing on it, some with flags on their antennas until they shredded to pieces. 
    I also remember doing work and listening on cspan to Ted Kennedy's speech against the invasion of Iraq, and crying. It was like he had a crystal ball. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    He reminds me a lot of my manager - a nice enough guy who will come into meetings and talk for half an hour using a lot of buzzwords and enthusiastic gesturing but say absolutely nothing. 
    asmallcat
  • Can anyone else muster just 0 outrage about Trump shitting on McCain that seems to be dominating the news right now? Basically everything McCain did after getting back to the US made the country a worse place, and he had a big hand in leading this country directly to having Trump for president, so I kind of feel like it's fair game for Trump to endlessly mock him. 

I feel bad for his family having to be reminded of it all the time (except Meghan - she is literally the worst), but apart from that, this gets a resounding meh for me. There are far more innocent and vulnerable people that Trump has actually hurt beyond a now dead rich white guy, even if he was a PoW 50 years ago. 
    bizmarkiefaderDee
  • It’s an amusing reminder that Donald Trump is a shitbag who can’t even speak well of the dead in his own party if they’ve ever had the temerity to put up a minimal amount of resistance to his efforts. Really I’d be much more concerned about his re-election potential if he didn’t constantly do this kind of bullshit. 
    CeciliaM
    asmallcat said:
    Can anyone else muster just 0 outrage about Trump shitting on McCain that seems to be dominating the news right now? Basically everything McCain did after getting back to the US made the country a worse place, and he had a big hand in leading this country directly to having Trump for president, so I kind of feel like it's fair game for Trump to endlessly mock him. 

I feel bad for his family having to be reminded of it all the time (except Meghan - she is literally the worst), but apart from that, this gets a resounding meh for me. There are far more innocent and vulnerable people that Trump has actually hurt beyond a now dead rich white guy, even if he was a PoW 50 years ago. 

Yea, it's kind of ridiculous the amount of knob slobbing there's been over him in the Trump era like nobody remembers he's the one who brought us Sarah Palin and has voted mostly in lock step with everything Trump wanted. His war hero history was being shot down while bombing a light bulb factory, which is a civilian target.
    cdrive said:

https://radio.wpsu.org/post/beto-o-rourke-visits-penn-state-sending-message-unity-young-people
    "O’Rourke spoke about reforming the criminal justice system, expunging marijuana records, ensuring universal health care and making those implicated in the opioids crisis accountable.  He received the biggest cheers for promising action on climate change."

Reforming the criminal justice system is extremely vague, he's waffled on universal healthcare and back peddled from single payer to something that isn't universal healthcare that people are just calling universal. Action on climate change is not a policy, what action is he planning on taking? Who are "those implicated in the opioids crisis" and what does accountable mean? He talks a lot but never with any specifics which makes them empty words he can back away from or re-contextualize whenever he feels like it.
    edited March 2019
    cdrive said:

Reforming the criminal justice system is extremely vague, he's waffled on universal healthcare and back peddled from single payer to something that isn't universal healthcare that people are just calling universal. Action on climate change is not a policy, what action is he planning on taking? Who are "those implicated in the opioids crisis" and what does accountable mean? He talks a lot but never with any specifics which makes them empty words he can back away from or re-contextualize whenever he feels like it.
    Here's specifics on the Medicare for America policy versus Medicare for all.  https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/18/18270857/medicare-for-all-beto-orourke-2020-policies-voxcare

Here is 5 steps outlined on how he proposes for criminal justice reform:  https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Beto-ORourke-Texas-criminal-justice-reform-jail-13181472.php ;

Climate change - here's a scorecard http://scorecard.lcv.org/moc/beto-orourke  ;
    He supports the Paris climate accords. He supports Green New Deal.  He accepts the science of the 12 year urgency. 
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/us/politics/beto-on-the-issues.html
    https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2019/02/06/orourke-climate-change-campus/

"Who are "those implicated in the opioids crisis" and what does accountable mean?"  He's talking about big pharma and making sure they don't create a next generation of pain med addicts.

From Beto in 2016:  America is in the grips of an opioid epidemic. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) a record 28,647 people died of opioid overdoses in 2014. This week the House passed 18 bills to combat the crisis, including the Establish Pain Management Best Practices Inter-Agency Task Force Act (H.R. 4641) and the Comprehensive Opioid Abuse Reduction Act (H.R. 5046).

Major highlights of these bills include:

• The creation of a task force to update best practices and make recommendations for managing pain and prescribing pain management medications.

• Updated guidelines for the VA on how it prescribes opioids to veterans and how it tracks their opioid use.

• New rules that allow doctors to treat more addicts with Buprenorphine, a mediation to help with recovery.

• New grant programs for opioid abuse reduction programs, including a grant for veterans and others for state, local and tribal governments. 
    I voted for all of these bills.

Next steps:

• The House will combine all 18 bills as its comprehensive approach to addressing the opioid crisis. The Senate passed its comprehensive bill (S.524) in March.

• Congress will soon go to conference on the House and Senate bills to iron out any differences, then present this legislation to the President for his signature.

He does talk a lot.  A lot.  He must have an 80 lb bag of cough drops in his bus.  I don't know what the other primary candidates are doing, but I see Sanders is doing 3/22 San Diego, 3/23 LA, 3/24 San Francisco.  Honestly, that is breakfast lunch and dinner 1 day for Beto.  He's not going to slow down for the geriatrics of others.  Hell he'd probably even find an extra diner between LA and SF.  This in opposed to Hillary who didn't even once visit Wisconsin.  $6.1 million in one day with no PACs, no corporations, no special interests.  And I'm 100% sure he'd vote FOR the Magnitsky Act.  I'm tellin' ya man don't sleep on Beto.  
    Flukes
  • If Beto can hold his own with details and delivery in the debates, then he’s a real contender. I love Mayor Pete, but I’m not sure the country is ready for a married gay candidate.

Harris has definite possibilities, I don’t think Warren is going to catch fire as she tends to go off in this kind of condescending professorial tone that my wife can’t stand, Booker and Gillebrand seem stalled, Klobuchar seems to have peaked though she may surprise in the debates, Bernie is Bernie and I don’t think he’s going to do better than last time around against hopefully-stronger-than-Clinton front-runners from this field, Castro and Hickenlooper and Inslee seem “low-energy,” Gabbard should drop out, I know nothing about Yang.

Biden looks like he’s going to run, but there is such a long, complex, inconsistent history with him that people will remember 30days into a candidacy, not to mention baggage if he tries to make it a third Obama term (baggage we forget with Trump being so bad). Not to mention notorious gaffs and some downright unintentional creepiness with women. I think the idea of Biden is better than the reality of a Candidate Biden.

So from this early I’m thinking Beto or Harris emerge with strong, but ultimately doomed, competition from Bernie and Biden which hopefully won’t drive lasting wedges into the party.

Mayor Pete will be great in the debates, and Klobuchar may also shine there, so could be a surprise; Beto and/or Harris could crash and burn in them too. Bernie will be reliably Bernie.

I hate to write Booker off, but he has a long way to go to be a credible contender.

Soooooo early though.
    Travis
  • I had kind of written Warren off due to her handling of the whole Native DNA thing, but I feel like she's been killing it lately with actual, substantive policy positions. 
    FlukesTravis
  • I’ll wait for the debates to see how they stack up. I wish to hell those things weren’t in front of an audience. 
  • It's way too early to really make predictions. But you guys, based on my social media feeds it seems now that Beto is running, all the other candidates have mysteriously disappeared. So I guess it's Beto for sure.
  • About the woman issue (for context, I am a 45-yr-old woman)

I think Hillary made it so that it wasn't so unusual to see a woman as a serious Presidential contender. It doesn't matter to me that she lost (especially since, you know, she won ... but whatever) -  I don't think we'll see elections any more where it's all men standing up there when the smoke clears on the lower tier primary candidates. As the years have gone on we have seen a woman here or there in the primary field, but it wasn't until recently that we have seen some that are real contenders.

Is it because they didn't exist, didn't have party support or they didn't want to bother running? IDK, but I think we've seen a change where "female" is a demographic that parties want to see represented in their electorate and on the stage, for reasons both high and low minded... I think we'd see the same on the Republican side if they were putting forward a whole field of candidates as well. Sarah Palin, as much as she is batshit crazy and completely incompetent, changed that for women as well. She did not hesitate to put herself out there and jump into the role of a VP candidate (even if it was ill informed and delusional to nominate her).

Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that the first female president will be from my generation ("Generation X," as awful as that term is). Obviously sexism exists in every generation, and women are up against barriers in every generation, including mine and the ones younger. But the Boomers (including Hillary) worked to dismantle so many barriers so women in our generation have had a more fair playing field and have had more opportunities in terms of education, professional work, work life balance etc. that there are more and more woman in higher positions in government and the private sector, and it's both created a better field of candidates as well as more acceptance from the general public that a woman can run things. 
    FlukesKate23cdriveTravis
    Me:

Also me:

FlukesTravis
    Eye roll- look at this lame-o doing it again, this damn thing called dialoguing with voters, the prick

https://twitter.com/betoorourke/status/1108565112246407168

Here he is yet again standing on something so that people that came to see him speak can [checks notes] see him speak. 
  • I genuinely don't understand the Bernie hate. Seems a lot comes from "I don't like Bernie bros" rather than "I don't like Bernie's policies". Anyone care to explain?

FWIW I think he'd have beaten Trump, but I also thought Hillary would have walked it so wtf do I know
  • @CeciliaM Your last paragraph has good points that can’t be overstated. Working the 2016 election, there were More Than AFew women who came up to me very emotional while signing the book and getting their ticket. I recall one saying she felt like she worked her whole life for this moment, that standing up was all worth it, no turning back now, etc., and of course I couldn’t react to any of them as a poll worker except to smile. 
    It could be said women felt like African Americans voting for Obama....except more—because it’s also women of every color and race. 

Kavanaugh was a huge step back, it still makes me sick, but there’s no turning around now. 
    CeciliaMmylifeaskirk
  • LordBy said:
    ...I love Mayor Pete, but I’m not sure the country is ready for a married gay candidate...

<snip>.

I voted for Bernie in the last primary, and Hillary in the general.  I'm gonna vote blue, no matter who, but, he is the best I've seen.  He has sooooo far to go, I doubt he could get the nomination.
    mylifeaskirk
  • tom_g said:
    LordBy said:
    ...I love Mayor Pete, but I’m not sure the country is ready for a married gay candidate...

<snip>.

I voted for Bernie in the last primary, and Hillary in the general.  I'm gonna vote blue, no matter who, but, he is the best I've seen.  He has sooooo far to go, I doubt he could get the nomination.
    I just want him on a ticket. If not this time then 2024. He's getting more and more airtime and coming away leaving people surprisingly impressed. Just be patient....
    mylifeaskirk
  • And New Zealand announces substantial new gun control laws 10 days after a horrific mass shooting, but we here in the "greatest country on earth" apparently can't figure out how to do it. Amazing. 
    tom_g
This discussion has been closed.