Chernobyl. Episode 2: Please Remain Calm

13»

Comments

• ken hale said:
    I'm struggling w impulse control, too, lol. Just watched these episodes a couple days ago and I'm rewatching them now.  That's a first. 

If I had one wish, and it's an odd one, I wish all these scenes at the reactor had a little map overlay in the corner, like in a videogame.  I feel a bit lost with people walking between pumps and cores and control rooms.

Watching the YouTube video @Della posted above helps a ton when watching. The model is real cool and the part about the top of the reactor room is unreal.
  • @Marci Wow I am glad you're okay. What a crazy story! I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to go through with that treatment. I mean, radiation gave you cancer and then they used MORE radiation to get rid of it? Science works in insane ways.
    Marci
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I watched the first two episodes this morning and am really impressed with how they're portraying this disaster, not to mention the emotions of all those involved and affected.  Jared Harris in particular is just so stellar - he shines in every single role he chooses.  Out of curiosity I went to Google Street View to see what Chernobyl looks like today and not surprisingly, it's mostly abandoned/boarded up buildings and houses with a lot of overgrown brush around them, but there are still some homes currently occupied.  They also have a visitors center/memorial to the disaster.  It's a sad sight though.
    Elisa
  • Thank you @Reni - yeah, pretty crazy that radiation was kind of my frenemy! It was a surreal experience for sure.
    I am really glad that HBO is doing the companion podcast. I’m really enjoying it, and it’s so interesting to hear more info about the story along with the challenges of writing the show.
    I’m dying to binge this too, but I’m kind of glad we can’t because I need a little buffer to process it all and listen to both podcasts. I don’t give much respect the awards shows, but this one oughta get ALL the awards!
    Reni
  • Speaking of medical stuff, I found this article after A.Ron mentioned how any steel made from 1945 on is different because it has radiation from atomic detonations in it. Apparently they’re using recovered steel from sunken WWII ships for equipment that is used to detect radiation and medical scanners: http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/curriculum-blogs/engineering-blogs/why-do-we-build-medical-scanners-from-sunken-battleships
    I had never heard about any of this. As a species, we sure have managed to fuck up the planet, haven’t we?!
    GiovanniElisa
  • Marci said:
    Speaking of medical stuff, I found this article after A.Ron mentioned how any steel made from 1945 on is different because it has radiation from atomic detonations in it. Apparently they’re using recovered steel from sunken WWII ships for equipment that is used to detect radiation and medical scanners: http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/curriculum-blogs/engineering-blogs/why-do-we-build-medical-scanners-from-sunken-battleships
    I had never heard about any of this. As a species, we sure have managed to fuck up the planet, haven’t we?!
    Thanks for sharing that article. It is absolutely fascinating and the show has completely opened my curiosity to learning more about radiation and the effects from Chernobyl.  I've limited my research about Chernobyl specifically until after the show has finished but I find the supplemental podcast that HBO put out as extremely insightful.  Love hearings the guys coverage as well and hearing their insight on what took place.  I've never been much into documentaries and I know this is a docu-drama but learning more about this event, which I knew very little about, makes me think I should go and look for other documentaries or similar works of art on other historical topics.  Makes me wish I put more effort into history class 15 years ago when I was in high school.
    Marci
  • I just started this show yesterday and wow, its fantastic. I put it off becasue it seemed depressing, that it is, but i pulled the trigger and gave it a shot and man, it is so good. When moriarty says "and we'll be dead in 5 years" just from staying in the town, and then Skarsgård's face... Hope more people give the the show a shot.
    CapeGabeawookiee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Question- the man in the very beginning of episode one who hung himself is Jared? Listening to the podcast and thought I heard something different. 

Another question, perhaps rhetorical. Why send those poor men into the water/pipes with an audible radiation meter. They’re dying regardless. What mental torture.  

Thus is is a fantastically written and acted show. 
  • edited June 2019
    Question- the man in the very beginning of episode one who hung himself is Jared? Listening to the podcast and thought I heard something different. 

Another question, perhaps rhetorical. Why send those poor men into the water/pipes with an audible radiation meter. They’re dying regardless. What mental torture.  

Yes it is Jared Harris' character.

I thought it was for dramatic effect holding the dosimeters but I think the HBO podcast or ARon mentioned the urban legend that one of the guys pointed the dosimeter at a crack in the wall and it went off the scale. I think they had them to try to steer clear of any hotspots.

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada

They kind of overplayed the danger of walking through the radioactive water for dramatic effect. Sure, it was extremely dangerous in that you're walking in the dark through radioactive water, but it wasn't an immediate guaranteed death sentence. It would make sense to try and avoid any radioactive hot spots. I won't spoil a future episode, but what they had people doing in the latest episode was far more dangerous.

In fact, two members of the "Suicide Squad" are probably still alive. One of them still works in the industry, and the other was alive until at least 2015. The third member died in 2005 of a heart attack.