I just watched The Pilot for the first time...(Spoilers for it all!)

13»

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    It ends in a similar way to The Sopranos actually. Where the truth of what actually happened wasn't necessarily the point, at least for me. I guess I never came down hard on either side because of that. The one thing we know is that these two characters found each other again after losing so much. I guess if pressed I'd say she was telling the truth, there is never an explanation given for The Great Departure, but I always figured it was a spiritual departure to a different plane. So why can't we think that science could solve this and find a way to connect to that other world? 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I continually hear so many great things about this show. I did try to watch when it first came out but there was those scenes with the dog....I had to shut it off. I would love to try again and looking for advice (apologies if this is already in the thread but not reading to avoid spoilers.) Are there more "dog-type" scenes in this series? Is there an episode or sections I can skip without messing with the storyline?

And yes I did watch Chernobyl, knew what was coming and hit fast-forward whenever I saw those guys on screen. On my list of best TV shows ever!
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @Teresa from Concord I think you are safe. I am pretty sure. I had a similar reaction. I kept watching but was definitely not pleased. I am in that camp where I can watch people die with no problem but kill a dog and I hate it!
    awookieeTeresa from Concord
  • edited June 2019
    I continually hear so many great things about this show. I did try to watch when it first came out but there was those scenes with the dog....I had to shut it off. I would love to try again and looking for advice (apologies if this is already in the thread but not reading to avoid spoilers.) Are there more "dog-type" scenes in this series? Is there an episode or sections I can skip without messing with the storyline?

And yes I did watch Chernobyl, knew what was coming and hit fast-forward whenever I saw those guys on screen. On my list of best TV shows ever!
    It's been a while since I've seen it and I'm definitely one that has issues watching animal cruelty in TV/movies and I believe that is one of the few if not the only time that kind of stuff happens in this series.  Animal cruelty is definitely not a norm in the show.  I'm with A.Ron when he said that this is the best series he's ever watched.  It's certainly not a fun lighthearted show but as far as a serious drama goes this show is 100% the best in that category.
    MurderbearTeresa from Concord
  • Okay, so the biggest question I have for people is what is the consensus on Nora telling the truth at the end? My gut reaction was to believe her. Honestly, I didn't even question it until the podcast. I think I equated it to Kevin asking her if he took care of the Patty situation in season 2 and came back, would she believe him? It is an unbelievable story but so is like 90% of the other shit that happened in this show.

Was she lying?
    I settled on that she believes it and he believes her and that’s enough.

Could be total bullshit and she just convinced herself of it over the years or whatever. It is absolutely no more ridiculous than the events of International Assassin in season 2, an episode I never tire of, and I believe that Kevin experienced those event whether or not they were “real.”
    awookiee
    It looks like the guys didn't start covering this show until season 2. I'm sad because I love their insights and theory-crafting. I guess it's an excuse to binge through the first season!
  • @Teresa from Concord  They covered Season 1.  You might need to find it on the website if it's not in your feed.
  • edited June 2019
    It looks like the guys didn't start covering this show until season 2. I'm sad because I love their insights and theory-crafting. I guess it's an excuse to binge through the first season!
    They have the whole series. My all time favorite Podcast. Maybe they had to trim the feed. J & A and their JW background...it took me a bit to catch on but damn if they weren't born to podcast this show.
  • LordBy said:
    Okay, so the biggest question I have for people is what is the consensus on Nora telling the truth at the end? My gut reaction was to believe her. Honestly, I didn't even question it until the podcast. I think I equated it to Kevin asking her if he took care of the Patty situation in season 2 and came back, would she believe him? It is an unbelievable story but so is like 90% of the other shit that happened in this show.

Was she lying?

Could be total bullshit and she just convinced herself of it over the years or whatever. It is absolutely no more ridiculous than the events of International Assassin in season 2, an episode I never tire of, and I believe that Kevin experienced those event whether or not they were “real.”
    Maybe I said this above. On first watch I believed her. Sitting with the series I am split down the middle. My head says lying. My heart says truth. ***Spolier*** -LG in the Finale is my biggest problem with the series.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    OpusWho said:
    LordBy said:
    Okay, so the biggest question I have for people is what is the consensus on Nora telling the truth at the end? My gut reaction was to believe her. Honestly, I didn't even question it until the podcast. I think I equated it to Kevin asking her if he took care of the Patty situation in season 2 and came back, would she believe him? It is an unbelievable story but so is like 90% of the other shit that happened in this show.

Was she lying?

Maybe I said this above. On first watch I believed her. Sitting with the series I am split down the middle. My head says lying. My heart says truth. ***Spolier*** -LG in the Finale is my biggest problem with the series.
    Don't read this Teresa!! Ha!

SPOILER
    Yeah, at first I was disappointed when you get that shot of LG in the finale because that last scene we saw her in in the boat was incredibly powerful and poignant and heartbreaking because of what we thought was happening. But now that it's been a while, for me, I'm glad we saw her. That phone call really did make the difference.
    OpusWho
    Thanks for having my back @Murderbear. And thanks @OpusWho and @Shum for helping me find the boys. Gonna peace out on spoiler threads until I catch up. But I do want to say that the ONLY reason I’m not binging this fantastic show is because I must listen to @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard after each episode. I am in love with the deep discussions, breakdowns, and insights into cult mentality. And this is coming from a woman who never missed a word about Game of Thrones/God of Thrones/All things Thrones. If I was 17 I’m pretty sure I’d have their posters on my bedroom wall (right next to Led Zepplin)
    OpusWhoMurderbearShum
  • Ha! So by poster to do you mean of J/A & C? because im looking at my leftovers poster in my office now! After your done let me know...Ill post some photos of my leftovers legos...yeah I did it B)
    Murderbear