U.S. Politics Vol. 7: A Dream of 2020

Comments

• asmallcat said:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/21/us/politics/trump-iran-attack.html

Holy fuck we were 10 minutes from war with Iran. This is insane. If it looks like he's gonna lose the election you better believe he's gonna start a war. Jesus christ. 
    It's crazy. We went from a working nuclear deal to the brink of war for seemingly no reason. Who wants this? Aren't these guys supposed to be "America first"?
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited June 2019
    I was thinking of the movie Wag The Dog. I hadn’t seen it since the first time I watched it when it came out in cable. So I went to IMDB to look at it. I was reading the reviews and one from 1998 said it was unbelievable. Ha! I wish I could do a reply but alas. 

I often think what if I could go back in time. Back to the 80’s and I think what the people I knew then would think if I explained the current world to them. I don’t think they would believe any of it. We have jumped the shark in history. I know I have quoted Platoon before but “I don’t know what’s gonna happen, brothers but I’m hurtin real bad inside”.
    MrXMarci
  • I'm gonna do something I've never done here before, and may never again.

I think President Donald J Trump, as he said he would, has been very reluctant to get entangled in unnecessary foreign wars.  Good job so far.  Keep it up.
    MrX
  • asmallcat said:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/21/us/politics/trump-iran-attack.html

Holy fuck we were 10 minutes from war with Iran. This is insane. If it looks like he's gonna lose the election you better believe he's gonna start a war. Jesus christ. 
    It's crazy. We went from a working nuclear deal to the brink of war for seemingly no reason. Who wants this? Aren't these guys supposed to be "America first"?

Hopefully the silver lining is that Trump is realizing that Bolton and all of his blood-thirsty cronies in the administration are bad politics for 2020 (my guess is that a new war is not polling well with voters), and he boots them out. Granted, that's putting a lot of faith in Trump, but maybe he can stumble into doing the right thing here.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    If Trump did not want to get into hostility with Iran. He would not have gone against the deal that was in place with Iran also He would not have brought in Bolton. I saw this coming. 

I don’t watch news much anymore but I turned on to see the coverage of the events and I was surprised it wasn’t the whole conversation. 
  • An angle to this whole story with Iran that I haven't really seen discussed anywhere is the roll that Trump's pathological lying played in it.  When the Japanese ship was attacked, literally no one believed Trump.  When the drone got shot down, no one believed Trump.

The potential danger of that is enormous...it's entirely possible that something could happen that would demand an American response - and at the very least everyone's first reaction will be to assume that the President is lying.
  • tom_g said:
    I'm gonna do something I've never done here before, and may never again.

I think President Donald J Trump, as he said he would, has been very reluctant to get entangled in unnecessary foreign wars.  Good job so far.  Keep it up.
    I'm willing to give him credit here too, but before I do I really wanna know the behind the scenes machinations.  If the credit is Trump's, I'll happily give it to him.
  • That stretches back well before Trump though. Ever since "weapons of mass destruction" people are going to be EXTREMELY leery, and rightly so, of anything that could be used as a reason for the US to go to war in the Middle East. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited June 2019
    asmallcat said:
    That stretches back well before Trump though. Ever since "weapons of mass destruction" people are going to be EXTREMELY leery, and rightly so, of anything that could be used as a reason for the US to go to war in the Middle East. 

yup the people beating the war drum have been entrenched in the Republican war machine since the days of Reagan. They've just been able to carve out a spot in the chaos of the Trump White House because he has no coherent foreign policy strategy.
  • For sure, a degree of skepticism is to be expected but I can't recall a President relating events and the general public saying "we don't believe you".
  • For sure, a degree of skepticism is to be expected but I can't recall a President relating events and the general public saying "we don't believe you".
    Maybe not the general public, but there was an extremely large minority that said that about literally everything Obama said. 
    CretanBull
  • kingbee67 said:
    If Trump did not want to get into hostility with Iran. He would not have gone against the deal that was in place with Iran also He would not have brought in Bolton. I saw this coming. 

I don’t watch news much anymore but I turned on to see the coverage of the events and I was surprised it wasn’t the whole conversation. 
    He has no strategy.  Basic beliefs - no strategy.
    CretanBull
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    They're using the exact same arguments as Iraq. They're even saying Iran has ties to Al Qaeda just to see if it sticks! Are we really going to fall for this again? We're still fucking IN Iraq and we've learned nothing. Every time I see a headline about Iran "aggression" because they exist near the gigantic American war machine in the Middle East I get hives.

Also, what in the world are you people talking about giving Trump credit for not starting wars? Are you reading the same news I am? Who do you think appointed these people? The only reason he hasn't bombed the shit out of every country Fox News tells him to is because his attention span isn't long enough and he loses interest. If he had any focus we'd have already invaded Venezuela to prop up the coup everyone had a hard on for a few months ago.

• edited June 2019
    They're using the exact same arguments as Iraq. They're even saying Iran has ties to Al Qaeda just to see if it sticks! Are we really going to fall for this again? We're still fucking IN Iraq and we've learned nothing. Every time I see a headline about Iran "aggression" because they exist near the gigantic American war machine in the Middle East I get hives.

Jesus christ when in doubt invoke the specter of 9/11 cause nothing works better for getting America to support a war. 

400,000 dead to avenge 3,000. A majority of those 400k were civilians. 7,000 US soldiers died, and 8,000 US contractors. When is enough enough for these bloodthirsty psychos? 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    asmallcat said:

Jesus christ when in doubt invoke the specter of 9/11 cause nothing works better for getting America to support a war. 

400,000 dead to avenge 3,000. A majority of those 400k were civilians. 7,000 US soldiers died, and 8,000 US contractors. When is enough enough for these bloodthirsty psychos? 
    If there's no war, how will we win it?!

asmallcatMarci
  • Fox News calling BS on Trump's version of events:

• Mueller being compelled to testify by subponea is going to be anticlimactic for everyone. They won’t be able to rattle him into saying more than he intends to.

Get ready for answers like:
    - I’d refer you to the Special Council report submitted as my testimony for that answer.
    - I have nothing to add on that subject beyond what is in the Special Council report
    - I won’t entertain hypothetical questions
    - I won’t speculate as to the outcome of other investigations either now or in the future
    - I won’t comment as to the the obligations of the executive or legislative branches of government
    - I don’t draw conclusions on the fitness or competence of those under investigation or supervising the investigation
    - It is not by duty to interpret the Constitution
    - I won’t comment on communications or actions within the DoJ, I’d refer you to the Attorney General’s office for that
    - My motivation/background/character speaks for itself and I’m not here to defend it or justify my intentions

Dee
  • As a father with a 2 year old daughter who would do anything for her and protect her, the photo of the drowned dad and daughter with her little arm limp over his shoulder has me breaking down all day. I. cant.fucking.take.it. 
    DeeCretanBullcdrive
  • gguenot said:
    As a father with a 2 year old daughter who would do anything for her and protect her, the photo of the drowned dad and daughter with her little arm limp over his shoulder has me breaking down all day. I. cant.fucking.take.it. 
    I've spent hours trying to think of something to say about this but I literally have no words.  I'm absolutely repulsed and disgusted by everyone who has anything to do with this....from the President right down to the border patrol people who are 'just following orders' and every jackass in a MAGA hat who gleefully cheers this shit on.  I'm ashamed for America.
    gguenotMarci
  • Debate! Who y'all feeling so far?

cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    MrX said:
    Debate! Who y'all feeling so far?

This is a little bit of “who the fuck are you!?”  But I love it. The adults are talking.  Castro was shanking people left and right. DiBlasio comes in with a strong take here and there. That weird bald dude should respectfully go away. It’s too early but I think everyone is doing a good job of advancing ideas but Castro kind of stood out the most tonight so far. 
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited June 2019
    Digging Castro, De Blasio, Warren.

Gabbard, O’Rourke, and Delaney can get the fuck outta here. 
    edited June 2019
    Closing statement takes in real time. 

Delaney fucking sucks. Relax your eye lids.

DiBlasio you’re smart but get the fuck out of here. It’s not happening.

Inslee go coach a little league team.

Tim mansplain Ryan please let the women talk

Gabbard you were too quiet. When you talked it was pretty good. Lean on your military experience a little more. 

Oooh speaking Spanish Castro. Won this shit. Spoke quick, laser-sharp and with purpose. This guy can dance. Skills to pay the bills.

Amy was solid. She should exude more confidence. Don’t short sell.

Booker is the exact opposite. Slow it down a half a second. Relax your face. Great debate though. Also stop riding Castro’s momentum in the debate.

Beto went Dad. Love it. Give 45 seconds to Beto to crush it and he will. He’s a great speaker. 

Warren killed it with her last statement. It was a little self-centered though. Speak about us. 

• Have to say I didn't expect one of the takeaways to be that Bill fucking DeBlasio kind of killed it. 
    cdrive
    Tier 1: Castro  Warren
    Tier 2: Klobuchar  Booker
    Tier 3: Beto
    Losers: DeBlasio, Inslee
    Biggest Loser: Delaney for real dude please stop and get help 
    Biggest Wut?: Gabbard
    hisdudeness915
  • I'm liking Warren and Castro (he definitely did the best of the relatively "unknowns" to stand out) tonight. On to debate 2!
  • I figure we have to vote 3-4 off of the island so the next rounds are more-manageable.
    - Delaney
    - Gabbard
    - Ryan
    Fourth is more on the bubble, but either DeBlasio or Inslee. I was surprised that DeBlasio sounded like a legit candidate and Inslee is strong on his climate change message so maybe just dump three this time. If we get rid of three from each night then it could be 7/7 next time which is more-manageable.
    DeBlasio, O’Rourke, and Castro were the unexpectedly-good ones tonight I think. Booker, Klobuchar, and Warren were good as expected.

Obviously Swalwell and Williamson are on deck for night two elimination unless they shock me.
    hisdudeness915
  • I think a lot of people eliminated themselves last night.  Warren was the CLEAR winner and I thought that Castro and DeBlasio handled themselves really well.  Booker did too, but something about him has never sat right with me...too much of like a used car salesman vibe to him or something.  I'd be stunned if any of the others make any sort of mark going forward, I think they're all done.
    hisdudeness915
This discussion has been closed.