Harmontown

Comments

• I can see how that would make a difference. Haha,  Although I am even uncomfortable with even my own need to use the bath room. 

Happy Halloween BTW! How is your book coming along?
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I can see how that would make a difference. Haha,  Although I am even uncomfortable with even my own need to use the bath room. 

Happy Halloween BTW! How is your book coming along?

Pretty good, lately. Thank you! Happy Halloween to you too. :)
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
    Watching Dan bend over backwards to avoid saying a negative word about Kanye West... man, fuck that so hard. 

Tom & Lorenzo recently discussed the Ellen and George Bush controversy in their podcast and they talked about the phenomenon where people get so rich they run in the same circles and they protect each other and are friends with each other, and politics are secondary. So this Kanye West thing was just a stark reminder that no one is immune. It's not that Dan has disappointed me; I wouldn't expect anything else. It's just reminding me of how fucked up the rich are and we need a revolution. You know, the shit I watch Harmontown for.
  • @JaimieT wow totally! He started the show talking about the football cat. Then oh by the way... met Kanye and he is cool.  I bet he is in repeated interaction with Kanye as a character in Rick and Morty. That’s why he can’t talk about him.
    JaimieT
    @JaimieT wow totally! He started the show talking about the football cat. Then oh by the way... met Kanye and he is cool.  I bet he is in repeated interaction with Kanye as a character in Rick and Morty. That’s why he can’t talk about him.

See, I doubt that. I think he just met him once. He's acting rich now, for whatever reason. But you could be right. 
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
    Also, and all I'm doing is saying critical things about the show lately and that's not representative of my feelings: I'm 100% sure Jeff would say he doesn't care about this. But. He starts the show looking kind of mean (the Erin stuff) and ends the show looking kind of mean (the audience stuff), and it's a shame to bookend that when for so much of the show you're this erudite, magnanimous chum.
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • Yeah It does kind of seem like they are over it. My favorite has always been Schrab. Have you listened to Comedy Bang Bang? It’s an acquired taste but I think it’s really funny.
    Yeah It does kind of seem like they are over it. My favorite has always been Schrab. Have you listened to Comedy Bang Bang? It’s an acquired taste but I think it’s really funny.

No... is Schrab on it or something? Google was not helpful. I hope Schrab starts a podcast. I like his normal person self too.
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • No unfortunately Schrab has never been on it. But they have some of the best improve comedians from the upright citizens brigade theater. Also like Harmon town I honestly think the host of the show is a comedy writing genius. He wrote on between two ferns and Mr. Show.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    JaimieT said:
    Watching Dan bend over backwards to avoid saying a negative word about Kanye West... man, fuck that so hard. 

Tom & Lorenzo recently discussed the Ellen and George Bush controversy in their podcast and they talked about the phenomenon where people get so rich they run in the same circles and they protect each other and are friends with each other, and politics are secondary. So this Kanye West thing was just a stark reminder that no one is immune. It's not that Dan has disappointed me; I wouldn't expect anything else. It's just reminding me of how fucked up the rich are and we need a revolution. You know, the shit I watch Harmontown for.
    The rich are really good at class solidarity. If the poor and middle class stuck together like the wealthy, we'd clean their clocks. Not like maids though. Like, we'd beat them politically.
    JaimieTDarmock&Jalad@TenagraFlukes
  • I 100% agree A_Ron_Hubbard about this concept in general. If I’m remembering my history classes correctly this was a conscious republican strategy called the “southern strategy” to divide the poor so they would vote against their self interest based on racism. MLK was addressing this with the poor people’s Campaign when he died. Totally agree with this part.

but Im not convinced thats what’s up with Dan. Sold out to the point he can’t talk about Kanye.... Although, it doesn’t help that he is always snap chatting pool side...

I didn't make it this far, because I usually don't like when the audience participates. I thought mumia (?) was okay, then they brought her mom up too and I hit eject. 

But I mean, yeah. Dan has fuck you twice money now, and he goes and buys a Malibu mansion. While the planet is dying. Which he buys into, more than most. People are frustrating. 
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
    I didn't make it this far, because I usually don't like when the audience participates. I thought mumia (?) was okay, then they brought her mom up too and I hit eject. 

But I mean, yeah. Dan has fuck you twice money now, and he goes and buys a Malibu mansion. While the planet is dying. Which he buys into, more than most. People are frustrating. 

I background watched this while cleaning my apartment. I'm glad this young woman (23!) got  this experience, and Jeff quite enjoyed himself since there was a lot of singing, but it wasn't very entertaining. The audience stuff was fun when it was targeted to what Dan was wrestling with, not "Who came from furthest away?"

I miss Kumail.
    Darmock&Jalad@TenagraA_Ron_Hubbardmostlywright
    But @A_Ron_Hubbard you did miss a story at the end about how Kanye West was saying he loved sweatshirts, how sweatshirts were democratic and ubiquitous for fashion, so they gave him Rob's sweatshirt (for some reason). Then Kanye insulted its quality, contradicting his point. Then later they found Rob's sweatshirt sitting in the trashcan... and when someone asked why it was in the trashcan, Kanye looked startled but didn't answer.

And Dan was uncomfortable the whole retelling of that story... it was propelled by everyone else lol.

Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
    Yes! I kept fast forwarding while making breakfast today trying to find the Kanye bit. What is the timestampish?
  • Yes! I kept fast forwarding while making breakfast today trying to find the Kanye bit. What is the timestampish?
    It’s at 136:30 on the regular free podcast feed that came out last Thursday.  Haha Jeff brings up the topic. 
    JaimieT
  • Other than the last few minutes when they talk Kanye, there was another... thought provoking part. When the guest came onstage she says Dan was too hard on himself for his past behavior.  She referred to a recent interview where Obama spoke out against internet cancel culture and that instead we should focus on institutional forms of racism/sexism.

I am completely torn 50/50 on this argument. We can’t just be giving free passes to all smucks and their fuckery. But at the same time it seems like we are also most critical of people who might otherwise be helpful allies.
    edited November 2019
    Other than the last few minutes when they talk Kanye, there was another... thought provoking part. When the guest came onstage she says Dan was too hard on himself for his past behavior.  She referred to a recent interview where Obama spoke out against internet cancel culture and that instead we should focus on institutional forms of racism/sexism.

I am completely torn 50/50 on this argument. We can’t just be giving free passes to all smucks and their fuckery. But at the same time it seems like we are also most critical of people who might otherwise be helpful allies.

Can I get in on this? I've been researching a scandal in the atheist's community from earlier this year and I have thoughts, and I was literally thinking through my friend's list wondering who would want to hear these thoughts, haha.

Let me describe my political spectrum journey. I started out Republican (born into it) but started to veer left in my 20s. I got scared off from being fully left by anti-SJW arguments I couldn't find fault in, because generally SJWs are pretty mired in ad hominem attacks. You probably know what I'm talking about, but as an example, "I think marriage is between a man and a woman" met with "You're a homophobe! You're hateful! You just want to <insert secret motivation>." So now I don't know where I am, but I veered away after meeting those folk.

We might be in the same spot, but I wanted to clarify.

I'm still working through what I think the problem is with the SJW / cancel culture crowd. I hate saying "SJW" because fighting for social justice is an admirable thing, but unfortunately that label has those connotations now. 

You say, "But at the same time it seems like we are also most critical of people who might otherwise be helpful allies." Yes, and I think this is because people are not educated in reasoning -- or don't have the privilege of having the energy to resist their baser impulses towards groupthink and community-at-all-costs -- and so they let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If you say something wrong, they don't simply see it as you saying something wrong... they see it as giving fuel to the enemy. Which makes you the same as the enemy. They label you with a discrediting noun (racist, homophobe, transphobe, etc) and won't relent with that unless you agree with their label. So everyone is too terrified to say anything new for fear of being "revealed" as a -phobe.

I think the answer to the issue you pose is to be more discriminating. It's a bad answer, because I don't know how to get society to stop being human. At the same time, I don't totally agree with Obama and am suspicious of his motives in saying that (explaining this could be another post) and I would like to be discriminatory even in how and when I choose not to discriminate. Last week there was a troll on the forum. I was 99% sure he was a troll, so I decided to just go at him using that label. In the past I would have aspired to win the person over, given him that 1% doubt, but I have finite energy and some people just want to start shit.

It's a lot of grey area, but one thing I do fully support is the idea that we must stop demonizing people for asking questions or coming to incorrect conclusions. The only way forward that I can see is to give people enough information that they can reason through questions themselves, to have faith that our beliefs are strong, self-evident beliefs. It sucks because some of us have been fucked up by indoctrination and prejudice, and those people are by definition bad-faith actors and are fucking up my math in this equation, but I think this is our only hope. I don't see another chance. Silencing wrong ideas in order to perpetuate right ideas results in a system that I don't see the point of.
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
    Other than the last few minutes when they talk Kanye, there was another... thought provoking part. When the guest came onstage she says Dan was too hard on himself for his past behavior.  She referred to a recent interview where Obama spoke out against internet cancel culture and that instead we should focus on institutional forms of racism/sexism.

Thanks for the timestamp, I'll give it a listen on my way home. But yeah, it's something that we're going to have to figure out going forward. "Cancel Culture" is currently embroiling a lot of the people I follow in the internet right now, and it's hard for me to see how it's helpful in some instances. There is a lot of what feels to me like shunning over "wrong think", and clearly I have a complicated history with THAT. But it's hard to pinpoint the line. Because everyone evaluates transgressions, apologies, relapses, repeat offenses, and the severity of their own critiques subjectively.

But it also seems like it's almost exclusively an online thing. I'm not aware of anyone being canceled in the real life over some kind of petty bullshit, and I'm aware of a lot more people who have skated or are currently skating a lot longer and further than it seems they should given their offenses.
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • edited November 2019
    I’m fascinated by the topic and respect both your opinions. I wonder if internet cancel culture could be a precursor for real life social change. The same way “that 70s show” and ”Will and grace” were popular on tv before we started to see some states legalize pot and same sex marriage was legalized. I really don't know though...at the very least, I’m pretty sure it has made a real life difference in my own personal thinking and behavior.
  • Did you hear this weeks episode yet? There were some really funny parts. The commercials were just as funny as the actual show. Church does an excellent Shakira impression.
    Not yet. The past few episodes kind of wore me out. Everyone is so unenthused. But I hear Brandon is on, so that's already an improvement in the enthusiasm front. 
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • There is a really funny Brandon part.
    edited November 2019
    There is a really funny Brandon part.

What was it?

I was background listening. The guest was good, and I wish he'd had more time... I should go back and listen to him again with more of my attention. I like that he called out the Pakistan girl for going to school 20 minutes away. 
  • edited November 2019
    I though it was hilarious when he got really serious and started asking detailed information about her dog. Like .... is it long hair or short? Everyone on the show was like  “ Brandon what’s wrong? Do you think she is lying and doesn’t have a dog...

then Dan says something about how ending the show is like having to put down a dog that looks really healthy but the vet says is sick and needs to die. “That sometimes you just have to let the vet kill your dog even though it looks healthy”.

Baldmove P.S.A - no, please don’t let a vet tell you to put down your dog when it looks happy and healthy. Dan was very drunk and didn’t know what he was saying.

By this point in the podcast I was cracking up. But I have a very odd sense of humor.

JaimieT
    @Darmock&;Jalad@Tenagra

Didn't Dan have that happen, but he got a second opinion? It was something like that. Some veterinarian issue. But a better simile is the eucalyptus trees haha. 
  • edited November 2019
    Wow did he really? I haven’t listened to all the episodes yet. I’m still missing 2015 and probably some 2016.

I wouldn’t let a vet put my dog down unless she looked like she was suffering or she was convicted of a capital offense crime by a jury of her peers. Jk

P.S. Or maybe some type of PreCog./ terminator judgement day scenario. 
    edited November 2019
    Wow did he really? I haven’t listened to all the episodes yet. I’m still missing 2015 and probably some 2016.

I wouldn’t let a vet put my dog down unless she looked like she was suffering or she was convicted of a capital offense crime by a jury of her peers. Jk

P.S. Or maybe some type of PreCog./ terminator judgement day scenario. 

It's episode 283 "Necrophilia Questions"... I think he was just drunk and ironically using an analogy that insiders would know is bullshit. Maybe. Idk. Drunk Dan. This was low-functioning drunk Dan...

Edit: starts at 12:30, now I'm listening to it again...
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • Thanks I will check it out!
  • I just watched that part of the episode. I had heard this one before but forgot. It’s a totally different experience watching the video. It seems like he is drinking straight vodka and striped to his boxers during a rap.

but I agree with his complaint about veterinary science. I adopted a stay dog, and took her to the vet, they wanted to charge me over a thousand bucks to pull half of her teeth. Total bs. When the tool you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.
    JaimieT