Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    This chest pain is, uh... scary.

I just want to say, ITT I maintained my right to not be careful, but in reality I was so careful. So, be extra careful if you don't want it! If I have it, I got it from the grocery store, Target, or 1 of 3 restaurants I got take-out from.
    Hang in there J-L, I hope you don't have it, but keep us updated.
    JaimieT
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @JaimieT as others have said, please let us know how your test results turn out.  I'm really hoping as well that you don't have it.  Socially distanced hugs! 
    JaimieT
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    MichaelG said:
    On a personal note regarding mental health - take from it what you want.

I've been seeing a therapist for the past month or 2 for depression. Lately, I've been having increased anxiety and fixation on consuming news and information during almost every waking minute.  Just completely fixated on my phone, bouncing from site to site and social media platforms.  It got to the point where it was making me physically ill. I felt like a rat pushing a reward button that was just zapping me with adrenaline every so often. I just couldn't stop pressing that button to get more and more news and information about this thing.  It has been getting really bad.  

My therapist advised that I narrow my focus to 2 sources, preferably video based. So for example, watch the white house press task force press briefing (including the reporter question time), and maybe watch the evening news for about an hour, the more local the better.  I'm considering subbing out the press briefing for PBS Newshour, we'll see. This is my first week of trying this. It's really hard for me not to ping my phone right now for more information, but I do feel a little bit better. I encourage everyone to evaluate your media consumption right now and be mindful about how it's effecting your mental health. 

I don't want to be uninformed or in  denial about what is going on around me, but I want to focus more on information that effects me and my family, not overwhelmed by the constant awful news pouring in all over the world right now. 

Again, just hope everyone remembers that your mental health is critical right now. Take care of yourselves and each other. I'm thankful for this forum to read other's experiences and share my own as well. 
    For what it's worth, I enjoy reading your posts.  Particularly since (I think) you are basically at ground zero in North America.

Although it kind of reminds me of iZombie too (half of the city was quarantined off and ruled by zombies at some point, but I stopped watching not long after).
    MichaelGGiovanni
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    @JaimieT Shittt dude. Fingers crossed for you!  <3

Been a wild news day here in the UK today, with Prince Charles being confirmed as positive. More people freaking out about him being in contact with the Queen than about him actually having it himself lol!

Still pretty chill in my immediate vicinity, granny's holding up fine, no symptoms no nothing. I've had a weird throat thing for weeks now but it's staying a dull soreness without ever turning into anything else, not even causing a cough.

As of today there are 86 confirmed cases in my county of 687,000.

Boris put the call out last night for 250,000 'healthy' volunteers to sign up for jobs like driving the vulnerable to appointments, making food deliveries, delivering medications, and making welfare check phone calls to the elderly etc. They reported this afternoon that 405,000 volunteers have signed up so far which has buoyed the national spirit somewhat. That kind of news makes a nice change to the panic buying and fighting in supermarkets. 
    JaimieTMichaelGFlukesweeniegirl
    amyja89 said:
    Been a wild news day here in the UK today, with Prince Charles being confirmed as positive. 
    Whoa, what????  Omg!

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe and healthy!
  • JaimieT said:
    Very good @Hatorian. Someone mentioned praying earlier and I knew we had to get around to this, balance the scale of partiality.

@MichaelG Yeah, none of the test process will involve exposing others.

@fidoz It's sometimes hard to tell if this chest shit isn't bizarre anxiety. But I have soreness, fatigue and head fog too. I'll know tomorrow.
    i mean. i also say "im praying for you" when people need help but its more like "im rooting for you or im hoping for the best" and in your case i'm definitely rooting for you! 
    JaimieT
    Michelle said:
    amyja89 said:
    Been a wild news day here in the UK today, with Prince Charles being confirmed as positive. 
    Whoa, what????  Omg!

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe and healthy!
    Thanks Michelle!

And yep! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52033845
    Michelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    amyja89 said:

Been a wild news day here in the UK today, with Prince Charles being confirmed as positive. More people freaking out about him being in contact with the Queen than about him actually having it himself lol!
    Heard that this morning after I got off work.  Isn't he like 71 himself, meaning he's high risk as well?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @MichaelG I don’t have Facebook and Twitter but I had to delete my Reddit app and I’m down to two news sources (The Guardian and ABC Australia, which is the national broadcaster - our equivalent to the BBC). I was just getting so overloaded with information and it was all I was thinking about. 

I also found a podcast from our ABC that’s only about 10 mins a day and gives concise information from a very well respected doctor/journalist. Some of it is Australia-specific but some is just general information so if anyone is interested in that sort of thing it’s called Coronacast. 
    MichaelG
    Cory said:
    amyja89 said:

Heard that this morning after I got off work.  Isn't he like 71 himself, meaning he's high risk as well?
    Yep 71. His symptoms have been described as mild though, and to be fair to him he's probably in a top percentile of health (that we know of!) and activity for his age. 
    Cory
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @Hatorian Well it was more than just a mention.  :D
    Hatorian
  • yea i dont want to start fights or question people's beliefs...lets just say everyone is entitled to their belief system...no matter how crazy it is....i mean i believe the earth is actually on the back of a psychedelic turtle floating in space....
    JaimieTcdrive
  • Sorry you’re not feeling well @JaimieT. I hope you don’t have it. Rest, hang in there, and keep us posted. And try to distract yourself so you’re not freaking out ;)
    JaimieT
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    JaimieT said:
    fidoz said:
    JaimieT said:
    This chest pain is, uh... scary.

I just want to say, ITT I maintained my right to not be careful, but in reality I was so careful. So, be extra careful if you don't want it! If I have it, I got it from the grocery store, Target, or 1 of 3 restaurants I got take-out from.
    I'm 17+ days out and my breathing and chest still aren't right. Take care of yourself and if things go sideways don't hesitate to get help.

Were you ever tested for it? I went back to check your initial comment discussing symptoms but it didn't say.
    No. I was over the worst of it before tests were available. 
    JaimieT
    Chinaski said:
    I saw that earlier!  :cry:
    Everyone hide all the rest of the Top Chef family until this is over please.
  • GanGan
    edited March 2020
    @JaimieT thats awful! im so sorry. Thats rough. I am pulling for you to feel better and hoping its not anything to serious and that youll recover soon.

Not to scare yall or be a bearer of bad news but it seems a 21 year old woman without pre any pre existing conditions in the UK died from covid19. Its really sad, and really scary. I just ask all of you to be safe. And if you think you are being safe, try harder.

I am especially paranoid and concerned right now considering my job and the people that go there.

I am also questioning every single ache, cough or adnormality I experience. Like even though im already an introvert, and no matter how much hand sanitizer I use or how often I wash my hands or take a shower, do laundry, or sanitize items, or self isolate I just feel an impending doom settling over me. And the fact that the goverment is shit and so many of the citizens of my county arent taking this seriously is only increasing that dread.

I can hardly even play games or read books anymore. I cant get into them. So much free time now but I dont feel like doing anything.

Dee
    @Gan a 17 year old died in Los Angeles from this as well.  There's just no telling.

Humboldt has 5 more positive patients today, bringing us up to 10.  It was 5 yesterday.  We've doubled in a single day up here. :grimace:
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Gan said:

I am especially paranoid and concerned right now considering my job and the people that go there.

I am also questioning every single ache, cough or adnormality I experience. Like even though im already an introvert, and no matter how much hand sanitizer I use or how often I wash my hands or take a shower, do laundry, or sanitize items, or self isolate I just feel an impending doom settling over me. And the fact that the goverment is shit and so many of the citizens of my county arent taking this seriously is only increasing that dread.

I can hardly even play games or read books anymore. I cant get into them. So much free time now but I dont feel like doing anything.

I'm exactly the same.  Just this evening I finally admitted to myself that I'm falling, or have fallen, into a light depression.
  • Cory said:
    For what it's worth, I enjoy reading your posts.  Particularly since (I think) you are basically at ground zero in North America.

Although it kind of reminds me of iZombie too (half of the city was quarantined off and ruled by zombies at some point, but I stopped watching not long after).
    Thanks man, same to you - it's not the hellscape you might imagine (yet?).  It's been sunny, people are walking around, not much traffic and a huge adjustment in our home routine is the biggest change.  Last I heard our social distance measuring is starting to work, only a11% increase in cases even with much more testing. That curve is calming down in our region at least, hope it continues and other areas see the same thing. 
    Giovanni
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Michelle said:
    @Gan a 17 year old died in Los Angeles from this as well.  There's just no telling.

Humboldt has 5 more positive patients today, bringing us up to 10.  It was 5 yesterday.  We've doubled in a single day up here. :grimace:
    We had 17 more, up to 68 in my little province, which I think was the last one to be hit.
    Michelle
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited March 2020
    Cory said:
    Michelle said:

We had 17 more, up to 68 in my little province, which I think was the last one to be hit.
    634 in my county, 16 deaths. All reported deaths are with underlying conditions, save for one 80 year old.   I don't dismiss those just bc they have underlying conditions or bc they are old. Equally sad and worrying for lots of people and their families. 
    CoryMichelleGan

• I need to stop reading about this stuff but I also feel I need to stay informed.

They need to shut the whole USA down, but president dipshit is talking about opening up on Easter and a bunch of conservatives are offering up elderly lives for sacrifice, or lying and saying they would gladly die for the country.

It never ends. Corporations and corruption over lives. Ad infinium.
    Just... Fuck.
    MichelleGiovanniElisa
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited March 2020
    Michelle said:

So sad and scary to see those cases.  I remember listening to a disease expert on the Sam Harris Making Sense podcast talk about this reality - while yes most deaths will cluster above the 70 year old range, we will see young and seemingly healthy folks get very sick from this thing, especially as the sample size enlarges. Most younger severe cases that I've seen involved health care workers, whose immune systems are incredibly taxed and may be exposed to large viral load on top of that. They are heroes right now. 

Let's not open up the US on Easter mk?
    MichelleGanGiovanni
  • Wow, I leave for a few hours...

@JamieT I hope you’re okay, or even if you’re positive that this is the worst of your symptoms.
    I’ve read about all kinds of non-standard symptom sets being positive for the virus with the only consistent thing being a fever.

Young people are going to die and old people are going to live, the bell curve peaks with old people that also have preexisting conditions, but there are tails to the curve that will include a healthy teenager dying from it and a 90 year old with emphysema living through it. Nobody is safe, and yet nobody has a death sentence either.

if you are more than 15yrs from retirement, don’t sell out of your stock positions (assuming they’re indexes or mutual funds) locking in the losses. If you have discovered that you can’t take recessionary downturns in the market, then change your future allocations. Don’t lock in losses unless you’re relatively close to retirement and need to have cash or conservative stuff to fund withdrawals in the relatively near future. Pull up a graph of the DOW or S&P 500 from 2009 to 2014 to see what you could miss out on in the market if you sell-out because of fear now rather than ride it out.

The mental health struggle is real. I am hearing from all kinds of people working from home by necessity that it’s really a cause of stress and anxiety, not even mentioning the news and potential media obsession. I’d recommend Governor Cuomo’s press briefings over the White House’s if you want to see sane leadership in a crisis.

We will get through this, but it’s going to be an off-and-on battle for the next 18mos or so. We’re going to have a recession, but we will recover. Look for the helpers, they’re all over the place from first responders and medical professionals, to grocery store checkers and truck drivers keeping the food supply working. There is a lot in this crisis that shows the best of humanity when you choose to see it.
    JaimieTMichaelGMrXFlukesJSDCAGiovanni
  • Hope things go well, @JaimieT
    JaimieT
  • edited March 2020
    Seen on GRRMs blog

GiovanniFlukesweeniegirl