Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Hatorian said:

Chinaski said:
    Clash Action Park.. goodness gracious, that place was f'n wild!
    That documentary was fun, but man, they started muddying the water towards the end. It was really bizarre. 
    Yea. The ending made me sit there for like 5 minutes thinking should I be mad about this or should I be jealous I missed out???
    Like I get wanting to show the dichotomy of enjoyment that was had at the park versus realizing the danger, but it got pushed over the edge when people started putting the owner upon a pedestal after the rest of the movie talked about his callus and irresponsible personality. 
    Hatorian
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2020
    Watched Happiest Season on Hulu, solid addition to the Christmas movie rotation. Great cast - Kristen Stewart, Mackenzie Davis, Mary Steenburgen, Alison Brie, Aubrey Plaza, Dan Levy, among others.
  • Wonder Woman 1984.  Didn't work for me, unlike the first one. 
    Marci
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I am currently watching Toy Story 4 and what the hell kind of drug fuelled nightmare of a children’s movie is this? A toy that keeps trying to kill itself and a sinister old timey doll with a crew of evil (redundant, I know) ventriloquist’s dummies creeping around a dark antique store? I’m sleeping with the light on tonight.
    cdrive
  • Wonder Woman 1984 did really work for me, although I have an admittedly low bar when it comes to superhero movies because, you know, they're superhero movies.  My only real criticisms are that the CGI was kinda wonky in parts and some of the plot points proceeded or were resolved in literally cartoonish fashion.  But again, this is a superhero flick, so if it looks or feels like a cartoon at times that's totally ok and arguably appropriate.  Overall I thought there was a pretty insightful central metaphor to the story, the principal actors range from good to great, and there were a handful of moments that had me absolutely grinning like an idiot with unabashed childish joy.  Not gonna give it a grade or anything or even pretend that it really holds up to the film critic's lens in me -  I just really enjoyed it!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2020
    I've got about an hour left in the new Wonder Woman. I can see why they are giving it away. It has yet to produce one minute of footage that makes me want to watch the next.
    lengmoMurderbearMarciTeresa from Concord
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I had high hopes for Wonder Woman as the first one was the rare DC movie that didn't suck. (STILL haven't watched Birds of Prey right but will soon) WW1984 was....okay. Gal Gadot I think makes a good Wonder Woman but I just didn't connect with her at all in this movie. There were a lot of goofy, I guess plot points but not really...action moments that didn't make sense when you thought about them for more than two seconds. No spoilers here but they are in the White House at one point and she stops Steve from using a gun on the Secret Service because it's not their fault. She then proceeds to beat the tar out of all of these guys which is fine because that's not murder. Literally goes to the next room and the villain is there fighting police officers (no guns either) and WW goes out of her way to make sure they aren't slammed to the wall or hurt in any way I guess cause the bad guy was doing it? She was just doing it herself thirty seconds ago.

Pedro Pascal was good. Kristen Wiig was great until the last ten minutes of the movie but I don't think that was necessarily her fault. Chris Pine was fine. I thought most of the action and effects were decent but definitely not top notch at certain moments but it's the thing that most comic book movies still struggle with when you have a hero that essentially flies around so much. Hard to get that to look real and natural.

I didn't have a bad time watching it. Just not nearly the movie the first one was at all.
    Freddy
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    WW84 isn’t hitting me yet. We had to stop. We switched to Soul but the kids fell asleep. We’ll pick that up again 1st cause it was damn good. And a trip!

The best fucking holiday release though, which we just finished, is LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special.  So fun and hilarious. All the feels.  
    MurderbearFreddy
    That Lego Holiday Special is definitely way better than expected! I liked it a lot
    cdrive
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited December 2020
    Wonder Woman 1984 What can I say that hasn't been said above. Not great. Cheesy plot. Acting was alright. Just a blah movie overall. I can see why some will like it and I do think Wonder Woman is an important film for young kids, girls especially, to connect to. So many things were in the movie that served little to no purpose. The best parts to me where the opening scene (although a bit of a stretch there) and the end credits scene. I have no desire to see it again.

Stuart Little I read the book with my son and we were excited to watch the movie. I hated it. Some of the best parts from the book were left out and many of the major plot drivers were non-existent. Son was disappointed as well. I was surprised to see Hugh Laurie as the main dad and Stuart is voiced by Michael J. Fox so that was cool.
  • Fatman I enjoyed it but I wish they leaned a little more into either the sillyness or over the top action. It plays the whole concept pretty straight which is a waste when you have Walton Goggins hunting Santa. Goggins steals the movie as you would expect.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Was looking for a WW 1984 thread of its own. But then I wondered if others thought it was as bad as I did and not worthy of its own thread. So looked here. 

I am a huge superhero movie fan and couldn’t wait for this movie. I am beyond disappointed. No spoilers so no specifics. But I will say I am over 2020’s trend to sacrifice a good story to push a moral agenda. Great writing must come first. And agree with the others about the CGI, lack of WW/Steve chemistry, etc. The first movie was so good and this one is far from that. I know the real world is in a tough spot right now but this is even more of a reason movies need to entertain. 

Here’s hoping 2021 brings health, happiness, and great movies!
    lengmo
  • Death to 2020 on Netflix
    Pretty good so far
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2020
    Soul - really good! Pixar does it again. Our 5 year old enjoyed it (although he preferred the couple of pixar shorts we watched before) and plenty of deeper meaning and jokes for us adults.
    ChinaskiMurderbear
    Just finished Soul! So so good!
    MrXChinaski
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    cdrive said:
    Over two hours long gets an "only 129 minutes long..." ? Movies are way too long for my attention span these days. Don't mind me, I will go back to yelling at the clouds. 

No I'm just an idiot. I was thinking 1.5 hour which is of course 90 minutes if I had a normally functioning brain today.  It still felt quick. 
    Oh god. I do that all the time. My brain likes to think that there are 100 minutes in an hour. So if someone says something is 120 minutes long, I think it is less than an hour and a half. 
    I see the secret conditioning for you guys to accept the metric system is working... albeit with side effects.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Wonder Woman 1984 - 4/10

Gadot was good to great, Pine was fine, nothing else worked.
    FreddyTeresa from Concord
  • Wonder Woman 1984 - I haven’t disliked a movie this much in a long time.
    FreddyTeresa from Concord
  • Marci said:
    Wonder Woman 1984 - I haven’t disliked a movie this much in a long time.
    Simply THE WORST movie I’ve ever seen. 
    FreddyMarci
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    lengmo said:
    Death to 2020 on Netflix
    Pretty good so far
    Just watched this and highly recommend. I laughed out loud many times. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    MrX said:
    Soul - really good! Pixar does it again. Our 5 year old enjoyed it (although he preferred the couple of pixar shorts we watched before) and plenty of deeper meaning and jokes for us adults.
    this was just simply beautiful. watched it with the fam on xmas night, then did a rewatch tonight. Pixar knows how to shoot an arrow through my heart and soul (yes, plenty of pun intended).
    MrX
  • That Lego Holiday Special is definitely way better than expected! I liked it a lot
    I really need to sit down and watch this. I had meant to over the long weekend but completely forgot about it until I read your post. We'll see if I end up having time to tonight but it's at the top of my priority list. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I watched Freaky last night, because who doesn’t love a body swap movie? It was silly and fun and worth it to see Vince Vaughn playing a teenage girl. 
    MarciBrieanneChinaski
    Dee said:
    I watched Freaky last night, because who doesn’t love a body swap movie? It was silly and fun and worth it to see Vince Vaughn playing a teenage girl. 
    this has been on my radar and i may check out sometime during the holiday break. i didn't mind the directors other movie (Happy Death Day) which i thought was kinda silly and fun.
    Dee
  • We watched a bunch of movies over some time off last week

Gremlins 2: I wasn't planning on watching it because I heard it was bad and the director was openly hostile to the movie while making it. This movie is incredible. There are typically at least two or three visual gags on screen at any moment, it constantly broke the fourth wall in creative and funny ways, and it keeps its foot on the gas all the way through the ending which is ridiculous. I can see why people were disappointed because it's nothing like the first movie, but on watching it without any expectations was so fun. Such an entertaining movie.

Jingle All the Way: I thought Sinbad made some good points in his opening rant that was supposed to make him look crazy. This was basically what I remembered as a kid except the whole thing with the pervy neighbor is way funnier now.

Elf: Obvious classic. We watched the Movies That Made Us thing before the movie and I had totally forgotten Will Farrell wasn't already a movie star when this was being made. Considering how unknown they all were the amount of star power in this seems more wild every year, especially with everything Favreau has done since then.

It's a Wonderful Life: Amazing how many people watch this movie every year but don't seem to internalize any of it. You are worth more than you produce for your boss!

• edited December 2020
    WW84, oof 3/10. The opening scene was good and it was all downhill from there. I love Pedro Pascal too, but his character was a mess. 

Whispers of the Heart - 8/10, my little kid and I and going through the G rated Studio Ghibli movies on HBO Max. I liked how ordinary of a story this one was, but it had some truly touching moments. I'll never get the concrete roads song out of my head now, but this version was great too. The attention to detail in thier movies is fantastic. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Soul was cute, but I think I’ve well and truly aged out of Pixar. As with the last few years of Pixar releases, I found myself scrolling through my phone a lot. 

I watched In Bruges, which I saw when it first came out but remembered nothing about. Back then I hated Colin Farrell because he just had such a strong fuckboi vibe, and looked like he smelled. I’ve since come around to his charms (though he still looks like he smells), and I was able to appreciate him more in this movie. Brendan Gleeson remains an under-rated treasure. 
  • edited December 2020
    The first 10 minutes of WW84: 10/10

The rest of WW84: 3/10

What maniacal nonsense this turned out to be holy fuck. 

I just started laughing at the part where it magically turned into July 4th even though up until that point everyone had been wearing coats and scarves and jackets and telling homeless men to “stay warm.”

Diana recommends a sport coat and scarf to Steve and Barbara is wearing a leather jacket and then a fur coat at one point. IN JULY. IN DC. FAMOUSLY BUILT ON A SWAMP.

What the fuck was this movie?
    FreddyGiovanni
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Soul was great for sure. Finished that first.  Just finished WW84 and my final conclusion is less harsh than my initial take when I stopped a third through. A lot going on in that movie. Yes it’s a dumpster fire but there’s a lot of things going on.  Just a lot. It’s a Christmas movie. 
    Dee said:
    ok yeah this was fun. i was entertained from the start with that well done slasher film cold open. Vaughn as a teenage girl made for some pretty hilarious moments (no spoilers so i'll just say that there was one scene in particular that cracked me up). his performance reminded me of Jack Black playing a teenage girl in Jumanji.

curious if the director will continue doing horror movies using comedy formulas like he has with Groundhog Day and now this with Freaky Friday (and all of those other body swapping comedies)
    Dee