WinterFalcon Spoiler Thread

Surprised to not see a thread for this on here yet. 

I don’t know whether Marvel has the chops to pull it off, but they are setting themselves up for some big time political and social commentary with this show. 

Unsurprisingly, I dug the hell out of this first episode, especially that opening action sequence which makes The Falcon more badass than he has ever been in any movie. 

The thing I love the most about Marvel fully integrating their television and film properties is that it gives them the opportunity to structure their storytelling the exact same way they do in the comics. Characters get introduced in the main films but don’t really have the room or time to breath? 6-episode miniseries exploring their life away from the Avengers. You want to tell a smaller story that will eventually lead into a much bigger movie? 9-episode miniseries. Someone in a movie escapes justice and goes on the run? Big possibility they could show up in a miniseries. 

So much interesting shit always seems to happen off-screen in the MCU, and now they have the opportunity to take the time to tell those stories and I can’t wait to see ALL of them.
Murderbear

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited March 23
    I went in with pretty low expectations. I like Falcon well enough and Winter Soldier is alright but neither of them have really been that interesting to me in the MCU so far. Same with Wanda and Vision, really. I knew I was still going to watch because of course I am but I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Not surprising to see Winter Soldier killing folks in that flashback. Maybe the younger, innocent guy but Winter Soldier was a bad guy for quite a while. The fact that he is now hanging out with his father and is feeling the guilt of it was pretty interesting.

Seeing Falcon just straight merc'ing those fools in the helicopters at the beginning was slightly jarring. I don't think he really had the opportunity to safely arrest or apprehend them or anything but still. They weren't really shying away from the fact that these dudes were totally dying. No way they survived.

The opening sequence was great. Very happy with how that looked after the Wanda finale that didn't look bad per se but some of it was a little dodgy. A.....stark (sorry) reminder that it was indeed a television show. This opening scene felt damn near movie quality. Hope that holds up throughout!

Even though I haven't really cared about Falcon, I think Anthony Mackie does a great job with the character. I am already very interested to see how they handle these storylines for the seasons. And really hoping this ends with him clutching that shield. The ending with that two bit Cap knockoff was great. I am curious who that person will end up being. Is this a U.S. Agent story? Is he just some rando hunky white dude they put the suit on? We'll see!
    RyanReeseman
  • edited March 23
    Also cool to see George St-Pierre back as Batroc. I always like when they recycle old minor villains and side characters so they can come in and get dunked on by or work with the heroes. We know we’re getting Zemo later on in this season, as well as Tim Roth’s Abomination in She-Hulk and Thaddeus Ross in Black Widow. 
  • I’ve seen a handful of people saying it’s jarring or weird that Falcon is just killing people and I’m so confused. Soldiers sometimes kill people, especially when those people are terrorists who hijack a military plane and kidnap an intelligence liaison and are taking him to hostile airspace. I don’t know what the alternative is supposed to be. Cap’s bodycount is certainly nothing to sneeze at at this point either, that’s kinda what I expect from these military-based heroes.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 23
    I’ve seen a handful of people saying it’s jarring or weird that Falcon is just killing people and I’m so confused. Soldiers sometimes kill people, especially when those people are terrorists who hijack a military plane and kidnap an intelligence liaison and are taking him to hostile airspace. I don’t know what the alternative is supposed to be. Cap’s bodycount is certainly nothing to sneeze at at this point either, that’s kinda what I expect from these military-based heroes.

I think what was jarring to some is that the "Cap Trilogy" (especially the last 2) was to some degree an interrogation of the military and American foreign policy and Cap reconciling his role in it. So maybe would have thought Falcon wouldn't have been jumping right into doing off-books military ops, racking up a body count, right after the un-blippining. Maybe the point is that he doesn't really have any other way to make a living, which could be an interesting theme in the show.
    Murderbear
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    First episode was fine, but that whole first battle I was thinking they really need to just give Falcon one of the Iron Man suits. Stark made like 4000 of those things so there's gotta be one around somewhere.
  • First episode was fine, but that whole first battle I was thinking they really need to just give Falcon one of the Iron Man suits. Stark made like 4000 of those things so there's gotta be one around somewhere.
    Well we’ve got Armor Wars coming up next year to deal with all of that. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we see Mackie join that cast. The friendship that him and Rhodey have seemingly developed could come into play there too.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I loved this quite a bit. Much more than I thought I would. Mostly for the quieter, character moments. But then to have some big budget action in there was amazing. With the Netflix shows, it was always blatantly obvious that they were not shoving as much money into these things as Disney was to the movies. This could really have been an opening for one of the movies.

I also was expecting this to be more of a standard action-movie story. It may get there, but for right now, I am enjoying that they are taking the time to show these people's lives when they aren't fighting huge battles. They are dealing with grief, inequality, and a host of other issues. I am so there for it. 
    RyanReeseman
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco

Well we’ve got Armor Wars coming up next year to deal with all of that. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we see Mackie join that cast. The friendship that him and Rhodey have seemingly developed could come into play there too.

I mostly mean that as a joke, it's a problem with all of the super hero stuff that some of them are just better. If I was being held hostage on a plane like that and it was fuckin Falcon showing up I'd be like really? Was Iron Man busy? Even Don Cheadle? Guess it's better than Hawkeye.
    MurderbearRyanReeseman
  • MrX said:
    I’ve seen a handful of people saying it’s jarring or weird that Falcon is just killing people and I’m so confused. Soldiers sometimes kill people, especially when those people are terrorists who hijack a military plane and kidnap an intelligence liaison and are taking him to hostile airspace. I don’t know what the alternative is supposed to be. Cap’s bodycount is certainly nothing to sneeze at at this point either, that’s kinda what I expect from these military-based heroes.

I think what was jarring to some is that the "Cap Trilogy" (especially the last 2) was to some degree an interrogation of the military and American foreign policy and Cap reconciling his role in it. So maybe would have thought Falcon wouldn't have been jumping right into doing off-books military ops, racking up a body count, right after the un-blippining. Maybe the point is that he doesn't really have any other way to make a living, which could be an interesting theme in the show.
    Yeah as of right now that’s what I’m kinda thinking is happening with Falcon. Although this whole having money problems thing just rings really false to me. Everyone left who helped defeat Thanos would be super celebrities. Falcon can’t get a gig doing Gatorade commercials or something like that? 

Either way, examining America’s foreign policy and role in the military was Cap’s journey, not Sam’s. At least not yet.
    Falcon has too much pride to sell out! (At least so far)

Or Stark Industries couldn't put them on the payroll?? I know Tony is gone but come on!
  • Falcon has too much pride to sell out! (At least so far)

Or Stark Industries couldn't put them on the payroll?? I know Tony is gone but come on!
    Yea you'd think Pepper Potts would be making sure the Avengers are set up for life!
  • There's a little disbelief with the money situation but I'm fine hand waving that away.  That opening fight/flight scene with Falcon was awesome.  Even more so knowing they went out and got a team that work together with the squirrel suits so that they could actually film that scene and not use CG.  Yes I know a lot of that was still CG but a lot of it was also legit too.  Sam and Bucky were always C tier MCU characters but I'm excited to see them flushed out a bit more.  
  • edited March 26
    Another fire episode in my opinion. Glad to have the boys together now and getting Isaiah and Eli Bradley this early was a great surprise, I thought that would come a little later. There’s another Young Avenger that has or will be popping up in these Disney+ properties if you’re keeping score at home , they’re definitely moving in that direction. 

Also love how many moving parts there are to this show. In two episodes we’ve been introduced to Batroc’s LAF crew, the Flag-Smashers, the Power Broker crew, and now this Government Repatriot Council or whatever the hell it was called that “Captain America” and Battlestar are working for that all seem to be on a collision course. And we still have Agent 13 Sharon Carter and whoever she’s aligned with on the way. It feels real Bond/Bourne/Mission Impossible to me and I’m so into it. 
  • After seeing the first episode, it's a nice reminder that TV often lets you get into character work that movies don't really have time to do. I'm already interested in a season or miniseries that delves more deeply into Bucky's struggles having to deal with his Winter Soldier-related PTSD, something that always felt secondary to the story of the films where he appeared. As for Sam, the idea of his sister's more grounded conflicts forcing him to grow as a character are intriguing. If they can balance that kind of stuff with an interesting plot regarding the Flag Smashers, I'll be all for it.
    RyanReesemanCory
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 28
    "I read the Hobbit ... in 1937 ... when it first came out."

Good stuff. Glad they didn't waste anymore tone before putting Sam and Bucky together, was fun seeing them play off New Cap and Battlestar.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I am enjoying this very much. A stronger start than Wandavision but I’m on of those people who thought the sitcom Schtick dragged on too long. I do fear my bf is losing interest. He feels I have to explain too much comic book background. That is something Marvel needs to keep in check. 
  • I am enjoying this very much. A stronger start than Wandavision but I’m on of those people who thought the sitcom Schtick dragged on too long. I do fear my bf is losing interest. He feels I have to explain too much comic book background. That is something Marvel needs to keep in check. 
    I feel like this show stands pretty well on it's own without the comic book knowledge.  Obviously the MCU knowledge is almost must see before watching this but I'm coming at this show with absolutely no comic book knowledge and it's making sense and I'm loving it. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Didn't expect Lamarr to die, thought he'd be somehow get the serum too.
  • Is it a stretch to think Sharon Carter may be the powerbroker or does canon refute this notion?
    I don’t think so but not because I know anything specific. I feel she works for the power broker but perhaps she’s undercover? I don’t need any more bad guys that started with a good cause like Karli. I’d like Shanon to remain one of the good ones. 
    Cory
  • Far and away my favorite episode this season. I’m so excited about the future of the MCU after loving these first two shows out of the gate. 

There’s some real heavy shit that went on in this episode and I just love that Marvel is willing to have these conversations now. 
    edited April 17
    Is this the first time there is a after credits scene? Or have I been missing them? 

Edit: mid-credit. 
  • JLD in the MCU?! Ok show, you have my interest!
  • Is this the first time there is a after credits scene? Or have I been missing them? 

Edit: mid-credit. 
    that was the first mid/post credits scene. 
    Teresa from Concord
  • Sam’s Wakanda upgraded wings will be SICK
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    adobo1148 said:
    Sam’s Wakanda upgraded wings will be SICK

Later that night...
    Sam: "Sarah, I knew I shouldn't have taken them apart, I just...can I get some help here?
    edited April 19
    It's going to be a Captain America/Falcon hybrid suit, right? I was thinking that we could just call him Captain Falcon but then realized Nintendo might have a problem with that.

This show has been great though. Definitely way beyond my expectations.

Going to talk about a rumor here so adding the spoiler tag in case people don't like to see or talk about it!

There were rumors that we may see Steve one more time and I put no stock in these rumors because they seem to end up wrong more often than not. They did specifically say Steve was gone twice this episode which makes me wonder now. They talked about him like he was dead, not just retired. I can't imagine Steve saying I hung up the Shield, don't even bother calling me for advice.... Felt like they were really trying to run the misdirect by mentioning he was "gone"
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC

I think if he was going to show up it would have been in episode 5. At this point Sam has heard from Bradley and Bucky on being CA and IMO with the training montage Sam has proven to himself he's worthy of the shield. For Steve to show up now would be redundant.

• edited April 23
    Marvel went and turned Sam Wilson and Wanda Maximoff into 2 of my absolute favorite characters, is there nothing they can’t do? This was a wonderful wrap-up to Sam’s arc and that fucking suit! So comic book accurate it brought a tear to my eye. 

So much great shit in this season, with the huge glaring negative being the Flag Smashers having their entire original storyline excised, chopped up and re-shot. I understand why they took the virus plotline out, but despite a valiant effort I just don’t think their Frankensteined storyline worked at all. 

Marvel is 2-2 out of the gate with their first foray into television and I absolutely need a Season 2 for this show. This Mission Impossible globetrotting spy thriller political intrigue corner of the MCU is definitely my fave, and now I’m just jonesing for Black Widow to be put directly in my veins.
    awookiee