Food Network: Tournament of Champions (Spoilers)

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2020
    Chinaski said:
    wow! that Brooke n Voltaggio battle. loved it!
    I just watched it!  Wow!  I can't believe Brooke beat Volt!  His dish was plated beautifully.
    90 and 96 though - I want to try their food.  It *has* to be just soooooo yummy.
    And go Antonia!  :)

Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Antonia's risotto looked soooo good! she crushed it!
    Teresa from ConcordMichelle
    edited March 2020
    Am I the only one who winces when I watch a chef take a taste of what they're cooking, then put that same spoon back in the pan/pot rather than spoon a small amt. out into a separate little dish then taste it with a separate spoon?  I mean, I know that's just how it's done (especially in a time crunch) but :neutral:.

Also, Antonia and Brooke both scored a 96.  Can you imagine what that would be like if they went up against each other for the title?  That showdown would be *amazing*.
    Michelle said:
    Am I the only one who winces when I watch a chef take a taste of what they're cooking, then put that same spoon back in the pan/pot rather than spoon a small amt. out into a separate little dish then taste it with a separate spoon?  I mean, I know that's just how it's done (especially in a time crunch) but :neutral:.

Also, Antonia and Brooke both scored a 96.  Can you imagine what that would be like if they went up against each other for the title?  That showdown would be *amazing*.
    i noticed that, and instantly thought 'wow!! if this was Chopped and judges were watching they would scold the chef!'

and i have a feeling Antonia vs Brooke is gonna go down! the #1 vs the #7. on the East side i'm calling Amanda vs Maneet. girl power final 4! and it's gonna be great!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    and i have a feeling Antonia vs Brooke is gonna go down! the #1 vs the #7. on the East side i'm calling Amanda vs Maneet. girl power final 4! and it's gonna be great!
    goodness, i love this show! i called it!.. and can't wait for next week!! these final 4 woman are so f'n badass!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Chinaski said:
    goodness, i love this show! i called it!.. and can't wait for next week!! these final 4 woman are so f'n badass!
    You totally called the finale! 

Tonight’s showdowns were great but I was really on the edge of my seat with Brooke and Jet.  That honestly could have gone either way, and his stuffed salmon looked *so* good.  I was worried for her once she started just including more and more ingredients without a clear direction from the start.  That randomizer makes it kinda tough though.

Who do you think is going to go through to the final battle?  Antonia v ______ ?
    Chinaski
    edited March 2020
    Michelle said:
    Who do you think is going to go through to the final battle?  Antonia v ______ ?
    oof! that's a tough one! even Antonia isn't a lock. Brooke has been cooking her butt off. and it's so hard to pick from Amanda and Maneet :#. tbh - it can be just about anyone, and it's too hard to call. can't wait!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    oof! that's a tough one! even Antonia isn't a lock. Brooke has been cooking her butt off. and it's so hard to pick from Amanda and Maneet :#. tbh - it can be just about anyone, and it's too hard to call. can't wait!
    I wish this was a longer season.  It seems like it's just about over and it pretty much just started!
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    I wish this was a longer season.  It seems like it's just about over and it pretty much just started!
    right?? i think they could have easily done 32 chefs instead 16.
    Michelle
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    As long of one of the ladies from the east win I’ll be happy. Love them both. 
    i love this show! i stayed up far too late and am pressing pause. gonna soak in the end tomorrow (not like i have anywhere to be :/)

after what i watched.. a) i called her a brat and entitled, but damn Brooke brought it! ! and b) i pressed pause before the judges announced the East winner. sleep needs to happen. 
    Michelle
    damn! that was really good. hope they expand the number of chefs 'next year'.
    Michelle
    Brooke brought the heat!  She had never been a favorite of mine, but I can admit that she has to be one talented chef to beat out all of these legends that have been in the business much longer than her.   I was actually surprised she beat Antonia - I thought Antonia would have won that one!

I agree about the number of cheftestants next season.  They need a larger group and about double the episodes.

Chinaski
    edited April 2020
    Michelle said:
    Brooke brought the heat!  She had never been a favorite of mine, but I can admit that she has to be one talented chef to beat out all of these legends that have been in the business much longer than her.   I was actually surprised she beat Antonia - I thought Antonia would have won that one!

I agree about the number of cheftestants next season.  They need a larger group and about double the episodes.

that final was so much fun, and seemed like such a hard thing to do (i mean breakfast, lunch AND dinner?). personally i thought Brooke had the better breakfast, Amanda had the better lunch (that Cuban sandwich had me salivating) and it was a flip a coin for dinner.

as far as Brooke goes, she came off more humble, cooked her butt off, and totally earned my respect. the little '3 months later' bit they did at the end was a nice production touch to get to better know the winner. winning Top Chef and now this is looking good on her resume.

lastly, big shout out to Amanda Freitag. i wanna have mimosas and brunch with her. she's so f'n awesome!
    Michelle
    Season 2 starts on Sunday! a lot of the same chefs from S1, with a few new ones. i don't mind it as i like most of them.

Michelle
    The Voltaggio brothers are competing???  Normally I'd say that everyone else needs to take several seats, but they have some fierce competition! ...  well, except for Malarkey and his mohawk.  But yay!  I can't wait!
    Chinaski
    edited March 2
    Michelle said:
    The Voltaggio brothers are competing???
    Michael was on the last one and he appears frequently on the Food Network. Brain on the other hand doesn't so it will be cool. considering that one is on the East and the other is on the West I can already foresee a dramatic Voltaggio finale. but not if Brooke (who i know @teresa from concord loves :p) has anything to do with that, who is is the current champ. let's go!
    Teresa from Concord
    I am watching season 6 of Top Chef now and the Voltaggio brothers are kickin ass! It’s entertaining to watch them and their food looks amazing. Guessing there will be less Michael attitude for this challenge?

And @Chinaski I am touched that you remember my deep affection for Brooke. I can’t wait to sneer - I mean cheer - for her again. 
    Chinaski
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    The Voltaggio brothers are competing???
    Michael was on the last one and he appears frequently on the Food Network. Brain on the other hand doesn't so it will be cool. considering that one is on the East and the other is on the West I can already foresee a dramatic Voltaggio finale. but not if Brooke (who i know @teresa from concord loves :p) has anything to do with that, who is is the current champ. let's go!
    I totally forgot Michael was on the last one!   Oh, I would so love a finale with the two brothers.
    Brooke's cool but I've long been over her.  Antonia, Bryan, or Jet ftw!   
    Chinaski
    nice little wild card twist the first 2 weeks. once again the female chefs killed it! now it's time to get into the actual tourney! Brooke has to be the West Coast #1 right?
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    nice little wild card twist the first 2 weeks. once again the female chefs killed it! now it's time to get into the actual tourney! Brooke has to be the West Coast #1 right?
    Probably.  It seems like she's culinary royalty as far as the competition shows are concerned (kind of overplayed, IMO) - that said though, Antonia or M. Voltaggio totally deserve that #1 slot.

I was happy to see Tiffani move forward.  I always liked her.
    Chinaski
    just started tonight's ep (EP3) and i friggin love it! let's go!!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    just started tonight's ep (EP3) and i friggin love it! let's go!!
    Watching the brackets being announced now and WOW.  This is going to be major.  I’m all excited too now!  Let’s go!!!
    Chinaski
    Finished episode one. I need to binge two and three today and catch up with you guys. Can’t wait to see the line up. 

Side note: just watched the episode in Top Chef season 7 Allstars where Tiffany packed her knives. She was consistently at or near the bottom back then. 
    Chinaski
    Michael Voltaggio! :astonished: I *need* to eat his food someday.  I really thought Cat was gonna take that but wow, 95 pts!  Amazing. :star:
    Chinaski
    In my world M Voltaggio kicks Brooke’s ass!
    MichelleChinaski
    Is Chef AF finding her competition days coming to a close?  Back to back losses in two seasons, by mere points.  You could see the disappointment written all over her face this time.
    Michelle said:
    Is Chef AF finding her competition days coming to a close?  Back to back losses in two seasons, by mere points.  You could see the disappointment written all over her face this time.
    i mean, she hasn't really been a cooking competitor (more of a judge or cameos on cooking shows), she actually went above and above last year which earned her the #1 East spot this year. i really like her, she just seems like a genuinely nice sweet person. and i love her cooking style.
    Michelle
    edited March 30
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    i mean, she hasn't really been a cooking competitor (more of a judge or cameos on cooking shows), she actually went above and above last year which earned her the #1 East spot this year. i really like her, she just seems like a genuinely nice sweet person. and i love her cooking style.
    That’s true, she kind of went outside of her comfort zone and decided to be a contestant rather than a judge, but then lost both times.  I don’t really think it speaks to her talent though - clearly she’s extremely skilled and recognized.  I guess my comment was more of a “what do we think about AF?”.

This season is *tough*.  I have my chefs I’m rooting for but honestly they’re *all* so freaking amazing.  I mean, that Cat Cora & Michael V. showdown was *everything*.
    Chinaski
    and next week we get East Coast Voltaggio! he's also on another level and has never cooked on Food Network (he was on Beat Bobby Flay but didn't cook). i'm still calling a Voltaggio finale!
    Michelle