WinterFalcon Spoiler Thread

2»

Comments

• I'm right there with you @RyanReeseman. I wouldn't say I was worried about the future of the MCU after the Infinity saga but I was definitely skeptical if they could keep it up. Both this and WandaVision knocked it out of the park for me and I can't wait for Loki in June and Black Widow in July.
    RyanReeseman
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I'm salty Sharon's a bad guy. Booooooo.
    RyanReeseman
  • edited April 2021
    Cory said:
    I'm salty Sharon's a bad guy. Booooooo.
    Yeah that’s a big misstep for me, but a lot of it is admittedly comic baggage. I love Agent 13 and I’m just not buying this wild character shift. They’re kinda Daenerys’ing her and I don’t know why.
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    New rumor is she could be a Skrull, so I'm gonna cling to that.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    What podcasts about the MCU are folks listening to?  I'm finding Still Watching and Spectrum Lounge too political/cynical and Biff is a bit uncritical. 

Ending felt a bit rushed, trying to wrap up eleventy-seven different story arcs enough provide a sense of closure before the characters appear in other shows/movies.  I guess every show gets a pass right now due to pandemic but hopefully there's a good balance to be found between the Netflix Marvel shows with filler episodes and the Nü Marvel shows with maybe too few episodes.
  • lengmo said:
    What podcasts about the MCU are folks listening to?  I'm finding Still Watching and Spectrum Lounge too political/cynical and Biff is a bit uncritical. 

Ending felt a bit rushed, trying to wrap up eleventy-seven different story arcs enough provide a sense of closure before the characters appear in other shows/movies.  I guess every show gets a pass right now due to pandemic but hopefully there's a good balance to be found between the Netflix Marvel shows with filler episodes and the Nü Marvel shows with maybe too few episodes.
    Did you only find the Falcon&WS discussions political, or for WandaVision too? It seems difficult to avoid political discussions when it comes to a show about what "Captain America" means.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited April 2021
    ray_x03 said:
    lengmo said:
    What podcasts about the MCU are folks listening to?  I'm finding Still Watching [...] too political/cynical [...]
    Did you only find the Falcon&WS discussions political, or for WandaVision too? It seems difficult to avoid political discussions when it comes to a show about what "Captain America" means.
    Perhaps it's a matter of degree, politics were certainly touched on in Biff but in Still Watching, near the end of their Falcon&WS coverage it was hard to tell where host Richard Lawson's politics and the Flag Smashers' politics differed.

The WandaVision discussions were more cynical than political, though there was a lot of calling Marvel movies militaristic.  I get people have different tastes, so I'm fine saying it's a case of 'not for me'.  Could be Richard Lawson doesn't like anything.  It's a shame because the other two hosts were less annoying and the podcast had interviews with a number of the actors/show creators.

I would prefer to listen to an MCU podcast that did not a) constantly refer to the military/industrial complex, b) dismissively call action scenes "punchy-punchy", and c) have reviewers who seem to feel they are above the material they are covering.

• lengmo said:
    ray_x03 said:
    lengmo said:
    What podcasts about the MCU are folks listening to?  I'm finding Still Watching [...] too political/cynical [...]
    Perhaps it's a matter of degree, politics were certainly touched on in Biff but in Still Watching, near the end of their Falcon&WS coverage it was hard to tell where host Richard Lawson's politics and the Flag Smashers' politics differed.

The WandaVision discussions were more cynical than political, though there was a lot of calling Marvel movies militaristic.  I get people have different tastes, so I'm fine saying it's a case of 'not for me'.  Could be Richard Lawson doesn't like anything.  It's a shame because the other two hosts were less annoying and the podcast had interviews with a number of the actors/show creators.

I would prefer to listen to an MCU podcast that did not a) constantly refer to the military/industrial complex, b) dismissively call action scenes "punchy-punchy", and c) have reviewers who seem to feel they are above the material they are covering.

Fair enough. I think Still Watching has been stronger at covering prestige dramas than the Marvel stuff - perhaps the hosts are just more used to more "prestige" entertainment so some of the criticisms appear cynical. If anything the positive is that you can just skip through the Richard/Joanna discussions and go straight to the interviews and the second half. Anyway, interesting to see another perspective on a non BM podcast I listen to.
    lengmo
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited April 2021
    I thought it was great overall. I feel like they didn't really do a great job of conveying exactly what Karli and the Flag Smashers wanted or what the GRC wanted/was trying to prevent. Allegedly there was a decent chunk of that plot that was changed because it involved chemical weapons and because of Covid, they didn't want that on screen. I don't know. And Sam giving her the honor of flying her out and being all respectful while his actual friend (as far as he knows) Sharon is bleeding from a gunshot wound felt odd too. You met this girl for like 10 minutes.

John Walker showing up halfway through with no one calling him out or not really getting his reaction to Sam as Cap now was kind of a bummer. They showed a head nod between the two but that was about it. I guess Bucky knew he was there to help but them running around together with no discussion felt off. And I feel like for people who do not know about US Agent, this dude seemingly gets a happy ending. He's dancing around like an idiot thinking "He's back!" not knowing he's about to become a tool for the higher powers I guess is slightly tragic but I can see folks thinking this guy got a good ending after his disgrace last week.

I both like and dislike the new Cap suit. Sam always cut such a slim figure and this new costume seems so bulky and puffy, not really a fan of everytime they showed him in silhouette. However, the fact that Sam is now wearing the suit, is huge and I love that! Also, some of his moves were badass. Him taking out the helicopter pilot and the lady in the back taking over was cool and the moment he was fighting Karli and when she kicked him backwards and the wings shot out into the ground to brace him was cool as hell!

The stuff with Isaiah was great too. That actor killed it. The hug in the museum was great and definitely got me a little misty.

I also feel like the scene with the old Asian man and Bucky was slightly disappointing. I feel like they kinda rushed through it. Like Sam, I braced my wings in the ground and prepared for the emotional roundhouse and it was....meh.

Overall though, great show. As Ryan mentioned earlier, Marvel got me to care about two more characters that I really didn't, just like in Wandavision. Both of these shows are wayyyyy better than previous Marvel shows. Although I did like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. These felt like they were on an entirely different level.
    RyanReeseman
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    lengmo said:

It's not just MCU but The Watch from The Ringer network has a weekly segment on whatever the current Marvel show is. One of them is pretty familiar with the comics so there's some good background info and discussion, but they're not die hards and the length of discussion is based on how interesting they thought the episode was.
    lengmo
  • edited April 2021
    I thought it was great overall. I feel like they didn't really do a great job of conveying exactly what Karli and the Flag Smashers wanted or what the GRC wanted/was trying to prevent. Allegedly there was a decent chunk of that plot that was changed because it involved chemical weapons and because of Covid, they didn't want that on screen. I don't know. And Sam giving her the honor of flying her out and being all respectful while his actual friend (as far as he knows) Sharon is bleeding from a gunshot wound felt odd too. You met this girl for like 10 minutes.

John Walker showing up halfway through with no one calling him out or not really getting his reaction to Sam as Cap now was kind of a bummer. They showed a head nod between the two but that was about it. I guess Bucky knew he was there to help but them running around together with no discussion felt off. And I feel like for people who do not know about US Agent, this dude seemingly gets a happy ending. He's dancing around like an idiot thinking "He's back!" not knowing he's about to become a tool for the higher powers I guess is slightly tragic but I can see folks thinking this guy got a good ending after his disgrace last week.

I both like and dislike the new Cap suit. Sam always cut such a slim figure and this new costume seems so bulky and puffy, not really a fan of everytime they showed him in silhouette. However, the fact that Sam is now wearing the suit, is huge and I love that! Also, some of his moves were badass. Him taking out the helicopter pilot and the lady in the back taking over was cool and the moment he was fighting Karli and when she kicked him backwards and the wings shot out into the ground to brace him was cool as hell!

The stuff with Isaiah was great too. That actor killed it. The hug in the museum was great and definitely got me a little misty.

I also feel like the scene with the old Asian man and Bucky was slightly disappointing. I feel like they kinda rushed through it. Like Sam, I braced my wings in the ground and prepared for the emotional roundhouse and it was....meh.

Overall though, great show. As Ryan mentioned earlier, Marvel got me to care about two more characters that I really didn't, just like in Wandavision. Both of these shows are wayyyyy better than previous Marvel shows. Although I did like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. These felt like they were on an entirely different level.
    Agreed with pretty much everything you said. I absolutely love how comic book accurate the suit is, but it definitely needs to be less bulky and more form-fitting in the movie. I got the impression that they kinda wanted him to cut the same sort of image that Steve did but Mackie is not built like a brick shithouse like Evans is so I hope they keep that in mind. 

I saw some criticism of it being “too comic accurate” and that it doesn’t need the headpiece and I have no interest in ever entertaining this criticism again. Far too many of us lived through terrible shit like the X-Men all wearing leather jumpsuits and the Green Goblin looking like a Power Ranger villain and up until recently not giving Scarlet Witch her crown or Zemo his mask. Even the Marvel Netflix shows making like a weird ass motocross outfit for Daredevil that didn’t have the DD logo anywhere on it or the right color, and refusing to give Iron Fist his mask or Luke Cage his iconic yellow shirt. We’re beyond that now and I never want to go back to that shit. LET THESE SUPER HEROES SERVE LEWKS. 

They always tweak the material now anyways so it’s not spandex and you can always add certain aspects to the costumes to give it a move tactical or armored feel, but there’s no reason for them to not look like their comic book counterparts in 2021 where everyone will accept it at this point.