NBA 2021 Thread

Comments

• For my edification, what’s the difference between a pick and a screen? Ive watched the game casually for years and those terms are used interchangeably by analysts all the time. 
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    adobo1148 said:
    For my edification, what’s the difference between a pick and a screen? Ive watched the game casually for years and those terms are used interchangeably by analysts all the time. 
    There's either no difference (my opinion and I think the consensus) or a pick is something that happens on the ball and a screen is something that happens away from the ball (I think a minority view, but I've heard some people make the distinction).

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    adobo1148 said:
    For my edification, what’s the difference between a pick and a screen? Ive watched the game casually for years and those terms are used interchangeably by analysts all the time. 
    good question. according to the internet:

'The main difference between a pick and a screen is this: A (PICK) COMES TO the offensive player. ... A (SCREEN) is just the opposite. In this technique, a player with the ball tries to run his defender into another offensive teammate who remains STATIONARY.'
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Noel said:
    Clippers wanted the Mavs huh?
     :) 
    Chinaskicdrivebizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Luka  Dirk
    Noel
  • Chinaski said:
    adobo1148 said:
    good question. according to the internet:

'The main difference between a pick and a screen is this: A (PICK) COMES TO the offensive player. ... A (SCREEN) is just the opposite. In this technique, a player with the ball tries to run his defender into another offensive teammate who remains STATIONARY.'
    Most of the time, the screener comes to the offensive player, and the ball-handling player also runs his defender into said screener. Therefore I would use "pick" and "screen" interchangeably. 

On another note, what are the chances for Kawhi to go to the Warriors if LAC loses in the first round?
    edited May 26
    ray_x03 said:
    On another note, what are the chances for Kawhi to go to the Warriors if LAC loses in the first round?
    haha GSW would have to work some cap and or trade magic for that to happen. but if it did, and GSW won the lottery, got the #1 pick, AND the #4 pick (say that's where MIN lands). 29 NBA teams would not be happy.
    I think there's a 0% chance Kawhi would come to GSW as much as I would love it. Clippers gave up the farm for PG to make that pair their foundation so it would take an Anthony Davis level meltdown demanding specifically the Warriors to even start that conversation. Unless the clips want like Wiggins and Wiseman + picks for him (lol) I don't even know how it would work.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:
    ray_x03 said:
    haha GSW would have to work some cap and or trade magic for that to happen. but if it did, and GSW won the lottery, got the #1 pick, AND the #4 pick (say that's where MIN lands). 29 NBA teams would not be happy.
    They'd never get all three, probably both picks would be included in a trade for Leonard.
  • Oh Goooood, Tobias Harrs is irritating 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited May 27
    Just in: I’ll be in the building for game 4 of Mavs-Clips on Sunday. My brother was able to score a set of four. I’m double vaxxed and ready to make some noise. I’ll be yelling a lot at Rondo and Beverly.
    CretanBullcdrivebizmarkiefaderChinaski
  • Chinaski said:
    ray_x03 said:
    To be fair Leonard has a player option this summer. But you're right. Almost impossible for GS to clear enough cap space to sign him
    ray_x03 said:
    Chinaski said:
    ray_x03 said:
    To be fair Leonard has a player option this summer. But you're right. Almost impossible for GS to clear enough cap space to sign him
    yeah it would have to be a sign and trade that included one of the big 4 contacts (easy to assume it would be Wiggins). but in that case GSW would get hard-capped which was the case in the D-Lo trade. another option where they wouldn't get hard-capped would be Leonard opt-ing in, and GSW trades for him but only would have him for one year. either way, i just don't see it happening. but hey, then again i didn't see the KD thing happening either.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I don't remember if anyone here posted about Shawn Bradley being paralyzed in a bicycle accident?

Mark Eaton has died in a bicycle accident.  RIP.
  • MrXMrX CO
    Nuggets - Blazers, 2OT game 5, great game to watch, especially Dame and Jokic.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Muggsy and Manute ain’t walkin’ thru that door! 
    CretanBull
    If the Clippers and Lakers both get knocked out in the first round I might have to find some streams to listen to local LA radio. It would be great but I can't imagine what kind of overtime the refs are going to be working here, I doubt the NBA wants the west to be a battle of Nuggets/Suns/Jazz/Mavs. I can barely remember what the playoffs feel like without Lebron lurking somewhere.
    edited June 4
    Refs were so petty at the end. Devin Booker definitely enters the hall of legends dropping 47 to eliminate the god damn Lakers on their court and then get ejected talking shit in the last seconds after stuffing a dunk. NBA is where amazing happens. 
    CretanBull
  • cdrive said:
    Refs were so petty at the end. Devin Booker definitely enters the hall of legends dropping 47 to eliminate the god damn Lakers on their court and then get ejected talking shit in the last seconds after stuffing a dunk. NBA is where amazing happens. 
    Adam Silver is besides himself right now as both LA teams might get eliminated in the first round.

How the west has turned out in the 1st round just makes the Warriors' exit and entire season somehow even more frustrating to think about... Oh well, it's gonna be fun to possibly see a team to win the championship that doesn't involve the League's biggest names (of course, KD in Brooklyn is the title favourite now - I wonder what people will say about this championship if he does win). 
    cdrive
    edited June 4
    It’s funny the last 3 posts have been about the NBA has a preference.  I love it though. Suns have sucked forever. Cheers to any Suns fans out there. My dream is CP3’s Suns beat Harden’s Nets. 
    go bucks in the east! and hopefully the mavs in the west.
    Noel
    and go away Drama King. LAL run is a joke.. first year no playoffs, second year won the mickey mouse tournament, and third year eliminated in the first round. kick rocks, like you left early game 5 to get 'treatment'. GOAT my ass.
    Noel
    cdrive said:
    It’s funny the last 3 posts have been about the NBA has a preference.  I love it though.

I think they definitely have a preference based on what will get ratings but I don't think refs have actual directives to lean towards one team or the other.

Not really sad to see the Lakers bow out this early and make this playoff feels as wide open as any in over a decade. Other than 2019 which had the death star warriors before they got hurt, LeBron has always been lurking somewhere in the playoffs. Now is the chance for one of these teams that's been on the rise forever but never been able to beat the super teams to get a legit shot at a title.

Chinaskicdrive
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    This board seems pretty insecure about LeBron.

I get it, I'm pretty tired of him too, but been tired of Curry for about just as long. He's very overratedand one dimensional.
    haha this is one helluva Chuck impression :D

cdriveCretanBull
    Cory said:

I get it, I'm pretty tired of him too, but been tired of Curry for about just as long. He's very overratedand one dimensional.
    first time since Luka Doncic was 11 years old that LBJ or Curry aren't in the Finals. pretty wild if you think about it that way.

curious on why you think Curry is overrated. 3x Champ, 2x MVP (only unanimous), 2x scoring champ, and 7x all star is a pretty good resume. in addition to that he's non-arguably the greatest shooter of all time, and imo revolutionized the game.

as far LBJ goes, there's no denying he's an unbelievable once in a lifetime talent. i just don't agree with some of his antics. "the decision", his flopping and overacting, that press conference with the cast, his complaining, leaving a playoff game with like 6 minutes left during a blowout that he basically had alot to do with (-24), and leaving the game last night like Isaiah Thomas all sour, not shaking anyone's hands. it's just getting a rather tiresome.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:
    Cory said:

first time since Luka Doncic was 11 years old that LBJ or Curry aren't in the Finals. pretty wild if you think about it that way.

curious on why you think Curry is overrated. 3x Champ, 2x MVP (only unanimous), 2x scoring champ, and 7x all star is a pretty good resume. in addition to that he's non-arguably the greatest shooter of all time, and imo revolutionized the game.

as far LBJ goes, there's no denying he's an unbelievable once in a lifetime talent. i just don't agree with some of his antics. "the decision", his flopping and overacting, that press conference with the cast, his complaining, leaving a playoff game with like 6 minutes left during a blowout that he basically had alot to do with (-24), and leaving the game last night like Isaiah Thomas all sour, not shaking anyone's hands. it's just getting a rather tiresome.

I was OK with "The Decision", OK with his return to Cleveland, but tired of him since he went to LA.

Curry is just a shooter as far as I'm concerned. Durant was easily their best player when he was there (I'm super tired of his whining too, probably worst of all). It's a shooter's league now, for sure, but he's not cracking my top 50 all time.

I don't specifically remember his MVPs, but I don't think I was super impressed with them (I rarely am), and probably didn't agree with them.

I've really fallen out of caring about the NBA the last 2 years.
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:
    Cory said:

I was OK with "The Decision", OK with his return to Cleveland, but tired of him since he went to LA.

Curry is just a shooter as far as I'm concerned. Durant was easily their best player when he was there (I'm super tired of his whining too, probably worst of all). It's a shooter's league now, for sure, but he's not cracking my top 50 all time.

I don't specifically remember his MVPs, but I don't think I was super impressed with them (I rarely am), and probably didn't agree with them.

I've really fallen out of caring about the NBA the last 2 years.
    2014-15 he won the only unanimous MVP in league history, you might have not been impressed but voters were. he also contributed to a team that won 72 regular season games sans KD the following season (they didn't win it all, but 72 reg season wins is still impressive). sure, 'he's just a shooter' but what else do you expect from him considering his size? do you want him to throw it down or something? when he does go to the cup he has a sweet floater, and if he gets fouled his and 1 is pretty automatic. i get it, he isn't the best defender but he's no slouch. has lead the league in steals and is a total pest sometimes. i dunno, kinda hard to agree that he's 'overrated'.
    bizmarkiefader
    damn, really wanted the Mavs to close it out. our first game 7 of the 2021 NBA playoffs.
    Noel
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    damn, really wanted the Mavs to close it out. our first game 7 of the 2021 NBA playoffs.
    Not gonna lie, that one hurt. Glad I didn’t splurge on tickets. I was really considering it. Kawhi is unreal man, but the Mavs didn’t do themselves any favors. A lot of this game goes on Carlisle.
    Chinaski