What grinds my gears (today)

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Dee said:
    @Michelle Yeah but then people can go through my Reddit history and find out how uncool I am
    You can delete your old comments. :)
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle Right. So anyway, I - uh - I have to be somewhere so, yeah, catch ya later. 
    Michelle
  • Yikes. If the forums are dead. The subreddit is a mummy. I think it would be wise for them to stick with one (discord) and just move on. Yes you’re gonna lose some people but if you have all these platforms and your fanbase is scattered then you might not have a business anyways. 
  • Dee said:
    @Michelle Yeah but then people can go through my Reddit history and find out how uncool I am
    I’ve already done background checks on all of you. I know all of your dirty dark secrets. 

Some of you are legitimate psychopaths..

;)
    Noel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Hatorian I’m not smart enough to be a psychopath. 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Gave Discord a fair shot and it just doesn’t work for me. Maybe I’ll be forced to participate once the forums go away, who knows. As long as they do lunch on Fridays, they’ll still get my support.

But yes, I’m down to add whoever on social media. I’m pretty much only on Twitter and IG. Haven’t logged into FB in what seems like a decade.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    these forums is the most social media i do. pretty sure the FBI is watching me since i don't have FB, Twitter, IG, an Amazon account, or have watched GoT :#
    NoelMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski Are you 90? Do you just spend your days writing letters to the editor about the price of stamps going up? 
    cdriveChinaskiNoelMichelleHatorianFreddy
    Dee said:
    @Chinaski Are you 90? Do you just spend your days writing letters to the editor about the price of stamps going up? 
    is that wrong?
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I saw @Chinaski as an adult in the Zapruder film. Why didn’t you let me know you were in Dallas 60s nightlife?
    MichelleChinaskiFreddy
  • I'll admit after giving Discord a fair chance for a few weeks now I'm enjoying it. Not nearly as much as the forums in their prime but now that they've added threads I feel like it's a lot closer to the forums. I've tried to post more instead of just lurking but I still lurk a lot more. I'll definitely miss the forums and all you great people involved here. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 2021
    Incoming rant….look away if you don’t like people bitching…

Deleted. Mean.

“The forums aren’t going anywhere…”

4 weeks later they don’t even post the lunch questions thread anymore…

I don’t have Twitter and I don’t have access to Patreon yet…so now I can’t ask questions with my subscription? Or I have to sign up for Twitter? Or I have to email the guys and complain and get switched over to patreon? Instead of one of them taking 2 seconds to create a thread for the most dedicated fans? 

Am I the only one who feels kind of shit on? 
    cdriveDee
  • Unfortunately I think this is where my baldmove attendance ends. 

Been a pleasure chatting with you guys over the years. Hope to stay in touch with anyone who wants to. 

My burner email for anyone who wants to connect on social media. Send me your Facebook or Instagram account and I’ll add you.

spongebobsquared@yahoo.com
    cdriveDeeNoel
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited August 2021
    Hatorian said:
    Unfortunately I think this is where my baldmove attendance ends. 

Been a pleasure chatting with you guys over the years. Hope to stay in touch with anyone who wants to. 

My burner email for anyone who wants to connect on social media. Send me your Facebook or Instagram account and I’ll add you.

spongebobsquared@yahoo.com
    Hey man I emailed you about it from my personal email. I dont have a burner email so if you could please not be a serial killer, that’d be great.  I’ve gotten to know you and trust you amigo.  A.Ron this lunch mentioned he forgot to make a thread this week. Usually someone fills in when he forgets and starts the thread. Like last week I caught it on Tuesday, a day late, and started it. This week I caught it late Tuesday night, but kinda hoped someone else would start it so as to not look too much like a stan, back to back weeks filling in. 

Sadly I think A.Ron mentioned the forums is a personal embarrassment for him now, barely holding together, so he hardly ever comes here anymore for fellowship or to fraternize.  So any engagement with the hosts are at discord. As for lunch thread starting here for non-patreon longtime club members, I think we’re on our own from now on to start it. But they did pull from last week’s lunch thread. We just got to remember and someone start it. 

Don’t want to lose another OG, @Hatorian, reconsider homie!!  :/

edit: just a little more- I don’t want to make excuses for others and yet again sound like a dork-ass stan, but you and I and A.Ron are all Dads, and I don’t know about Illinois but I think his kid’s school , just like my 2 boys’ school, started this week. In the midst of ‘Rona…. This week has been, no hyperbole,really fucking nuts.  
    FreddyHatorianNoel
    I’m going to jump in here for a quick second. @Hatorian, you’ve been pretty darn vocal about your disappointment with the move to Discord and Reddit.  Dude, I get it.  I get what you’re feeling.  And of course no one is discouraging you from saying what you feel - feedback can be a really great thing.  I can see why you’re bummed about the forums ending late this year/early next year.  I think we all are.  But I also kind of feel like you wanted the news delivered to you in such a specific way that anything else is just unacceptable or a huge letdown. The guys took the time to sit down & do an Empire Business vid that lays everything out - how they came to this decision, why they’re doing it now, etc and expressed their own feelings about it as well as the fact that they totally understand why some people won’t be into the change.  I know you thought an email would have been better, but in my opinion emails can be so impersonal, especially when it comes to a change of this magnitude.  I don’t know if you ever watched the vid, but it’s definitely worth watching.

Re: Discord, there are many more than the same 4 or 5 people.  Many more.

Re: this week’s lunch thread, it was a simple mistake.  Everyone makes them.  It certainly wasn’t intentional and definitely wasn’t intended as any sort of slight against the forum community or to make you personally feel ‘shit on’.

I’m bummed that you’re at such a high level of disappointment.  I’ve always enjoyed interacting with you here & it would be odd to not see you around.  At the same time, it also seems like nothing the guys do right now would be anything but a letdown to you.  I wish you’d reconsider watching the Empire Business vid & give them a chance.  They’ve been solid & open & honest and there for us for years.  I know how much their community means to them and I know how bummed they would be as well to not have you around anymore.

Hoping you stick around. :heart:
    Hatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I don’t feel shit on, I get why they are moving on, but Discord is just - I dunno. I do all my internet on my phone, pretty much, and on a mobile it just seemed like a mess. I spent a couple of days figuring it out and I was done. 

I could get into Reddit at a pinch - it sucks too, but I have dusted off my account lately to get Covid news that’s local to my state/country (and to talk about my soaps). But their Reddit looks pretty dead too, so I think it’s just going to be Discord pretty much all the way. 

Anyway, I don’t mind publicly giving my Instagram (my only social media) for anyone who wants to keep in touch - and who wouldn’t, I’m a delight. It’s @realdee255. Any of you fuckers stalk me or send dick pics and I’ll set spiders and snakes on to you. 
    ChinaskiHatorianMichellecdriveJoshTheBlackNoel
    i noticed there was no lunch thread this week. i just figured there was no lunch this week <shrug>

btw - for some odd random nostalgic reason i have been craving honey smacks cereal all week. stopped at the grocery store today after picking up my daughter from school. guess what? they didn't have em. that really shredded my gears :#
    DeeMichellecdrive
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    edited August 2021
    I feel similar.  Discord and Reddit are not for me. Yes there was an empire business but at the end of the 2+ hours I was confused. I understand there was a bad year - Rick and Morty backstabbing, Covid,etc. but it’s like they threw the baby out with the bath water. And then refilled the tub with old water. Back to the walking dead. Back to old movies. Back to the Future! Ok I actually liked that one. 

I’ve said before that the guys taking time to analyze a show, share inside information, make fun of ridiculous plots (hello jet packing) and discuss the underlying issues was why I got on board. OTC is fun but it’s more lunchtime part II. 

It sounds like they are bringing some of this back with new shows and movies being released. I just don’t know if I’ll still be around by then. 

I do have an Instagram I hardly use but most certainly will if it means I get to keep hanging with the cool kids. I think it’s tboneny. 

Edit: just logged on and following RealDee!
    Hatorian
  •  it’s more of a straw that broke the camels back thing. 

I even said (multiple times) I’m here til the end. I raised my voice. It was heard (thank you) but the answer was “nothing is going away right now” don’t worry. 

And that’s not the case. They just stopped caring about lunch questions on the forums. It takes 2 seconds to make a lunch thread. If you can’t spend 2 seconds to create a thread to satisfy some VIP customers then do you really care about them?

and, in all transparency, I felt ghosted by Aron on a recent discussion. Not the first time that’s happened either. 

Thus the straw…

And now I sound like a bitch. But it is what is. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 2021
    Oh and regarding “it’s a mistake”

it’s happened frequently. Drive created last weeks thread after not seeing it. 

Once is mistake. Twice in 2 weeks is either lazy or no fucks given.

also on the lunch page is says asks questions vis Twitter or patreon. No mention of forums. So apologies if I thought after seeing that today it was just gone…
  • after reading cdrives comments on why Aron doesn’t come this way anymore I feel like an asshole for piling on the forums being shit. Ultimately I just think I wanted more from the “relationship” :) without sounding weird. Didn’t feel I was getting back the love put in. Whether it was intentional, not, or just me having too high expectations. So it’s best to end those types of “relationships” right? Anyways that’s all I have to say about that…see ya guys around!
    edited August 2021
    (Edit: wrong thread.)
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Being in Texas right now. This state has tested my limits many many times and this is definitely one of them. As much as I wanna say “fuck this place, I’m out of here” I have always operated under the notion that if I leave, it’s just going to be one less person that can vote and/or fight against the idiots that tend to run this state. Am I fighting an uphill battle by doing so? Probably, but I know that I believe there are enough good people in this state to keep the good going and to reverse whatever backwards fuckery goes on from time to time. I have too many people that I love here and I’m not going to give up on their well being. Be it the women in my life, my gay family members, the family who are dealing with immigration issues. I’m here for them and I’ll use whatever powers that I have as a Texan to support them.
    DeecdriveFreddyChinaskiasmallcatMichelle
    Newark Airport sucks. It’s so not user-friendly & I have yet to encounter anyone here who was even remotely friendly. I won’t fly in or out of here again.
    (The rest of the trip was fantastic though!)
    After 11 years of prosperous, successful, empowering employment with a company I love, that company and our sister companies were acquired by a larger corporation in the same field.  We were a local company with national and international distribution, and all of us completely loved our jobs.  That is no longer the case.  I’ll only speak for myself here but we’re all unhappy.  It’s been stressful, demanding, complicated, soul-crushing, & just basically totally awful.  I’ve gone home & cried out of stress a few times and cried on my lunch break today (I cry when *that* stressed).  December is my favorite month and despite having decorated my living room etc, I haven’t been able to enjoy it at all.  My stomach is constantly in knots.

I decided to edit my resume’ this weekend  for the first time in 11 years.  One of my best friends is a partner in a local accounting firm.  I reached out to her today to see if she knew of anyone who is hiring.  Sending her my updated resume’ & she is also going to talk to her partners to see if maybe they know of anyone looking or if they think they will have a spot for me.  

I can’t wait to escape this hellscape.
    Just got a speeding ticket in a school zone but both small religious day schools on each side of the road haven’t been active since Covid.  Told the cop I’m going to pick up my kids from an active school and I drive this twice a day and these schools haven’t been active for a while. He says the school on the north side hasn’t been but the south side just had kids going into a school bus. Straight up lying bullshit. Says they’ve gotten complaints.  Called school and no answer even during open hours. FB page hasn’t been active in years. And school’s website says “buy this domain.”  Only once in a blue moon someone uses the defunct school’s parking lot for a drive thru food pantry but that’s it. So mad.

I called the city just now and put in a formal request to turn off the damn light and will have an update Wednesday. Hopefully take away this asshole’s grifty revenue-grab speed trap.  It’s the shortest little span too and it was 3:56. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen one kid, parent, staff car or any activity at that school ever since I started driving by it 5 years ago. Gonna contest this. Grrr. Haven’t gotten a ticket in 15 years. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Michelle said:
    After 11 years of prosperous, successful, empowering employment with a company I love, that company and our sister companies were acquired by a larger corporation in the same field.  We were a local company with national and international distribution, and all of us completely loved our jobs.  That is no longer the case.  I’ll only speak for myself here but we’re all unhappy.  It’s been stressful, demanding, complicated, soul-crushing, & just basically totally awful.  I’ve gone home & cried out of stress a few times and cried on my lunch break today (I cry when *that* stressed).  December is my favorite month and despite having decorated my living room etc, I haven’t been able to enjoy it at all.  My stomach is constantly in knots.

I decided to edit my resume’ this weekend  for the first time in 11 years.  One of my best friends is a partner in a local accounting firm.  I reached out to her today to see if she knew of anyone who is hiring.  Sending her my updated resume’ & she is also going to talk to her partners to see if maybe they know of anyone looking or if they think they will have a spot for me.  

I can’t wait to escape this hellscape.
    Aw Michelle, that’s awful. Being miserable at work is the worst. :-( I hope you can find something else that will be a much nicer environment again. ❤️
    @Michelle looks like we were furiously typing at the same time. Damn that sucks and I’m sorry. Helps me put my gripe in perspective. 
    @Dee @cdrive  ty both. :heart:  I decided I’m going to fully immerse myself in xmas this weekend no matter what.  I refuse to let them zap my xmas spirit.  Not today, satan!

@cdrive sorry about your ticket!  Fight it for all its worth.  You got this.
    cdriveDeeChinaski
    @Michelle - so sorry to hear that. basically was going to say the same thing as @Dee. hope things get better and your year ends on a good note, so you can start 2022 with positive vibes.

@cdrive - that's super shitty! fight the power! <fist bump>. in my early 20's when i was young and dumb (as oppose to old and dumb) i was late for work and got pulled over for going pretty fast in school zone less than a mile from my house at the time. the cop took a look at my license, looked at me, looked at my license again and says "looks like you may need to call someone for a ride...". i was so confused and thought it was cause i was going like 20 mph over in a school zone. turns out, my license had just expired. i explained to him how i had no idea it was expired (which was true), and to please let me go home since i lived right down the road. i promised i would call someone to take me to the DMV.  to my surprise he let me go. of course being young and dumb i planned on going home, wait it out, and go to work (instead of the DMV). and i shit you not, i look out my window and the damn damn cop is parked right up my street. i ended up calling a buddy who took me to the DMV, and the whole time i complained. my buddy looked over at me and says, 'dude! you should be grateful that the cop didn't give you a ticket for what he pulled you over for. that would have been a massive fine..". so true, not to mention a ding on my almost flawless driving record.