MLB 2021

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    cdrive said:
    Aww St Louis is a great baseball town though. Even though they’ve broken the ‘Stros heart in the past, I tip my hat. Dodgers and Yankees on the other hand… :#
    I remember the 2005 NLCS.

Mah boy may have broken Lidge's soul, but you still beat us.
  • Suddenly curious… is it possible to delete a thread?
    CoryMrXChinaski
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Pumped for next year!

Come home Max!
    JoshuaHeter
  • Cory said:
    Yuck but that would 2 of the most obnoxious teams in baseball for sure.

The Red Sox and Dodgers?

Th Red Sox are easily 3 levels above everyone else.  They're in Montreal Canadiens territory.

I'd have Philly way above LA though.

I'm a Giants fan so the Dodgers are easily #1 and nobody else is close. I pretty much ignore the Red Sox and Yankees but I agree about Red Sox fans. When you remember they're all also Patriots fans it makes sense.
  • Not happy that the Sox got blanked ... but I can still appreciate Arozarena stealing home.

• Giants made the hype video and now I'm ready to run through a wall

• jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited October 2021
    Cory said:
    jluzania said:
    I wouldn't begrudge the Dodgers' fans seeing their team win it this year. I feel like in some minds (including to an extent my own) last year's title has an asterisk. So if they get it after a full season, I'll be happy for them.

As Royals fan, though, I am more than happy to see the Cardinals crash and burn. Which they may be doing here in the bottom of the 3rd. 

Edit: They did not. Typical Cardinals.  :/

Do Royals fan really begrudge St. Louis that much? I know its cross state rival and all, but other than geography where's the rivalry? They play in different leagues, have they ever played a meaningful game against each other?
    The first time they met back in 1985 was the most meaningful series they've ever played.

And geography has a lot to do with it. The cities in general have something of a rivalry and I do wonder if Missouri being by far the smallest state with two Major League teams plays into it somehow. In an area with smaller cities, this is probably the closest we get to the large metropolises with multiple teams. 

But I believe that the feelings are much more passionate on the KC side than StL's. The Royals don't really have that deep of a rivalry with other teams, even in their own division, so I think the team's fans like having one with a franchise that's so successful. Plus, there's certainly an inferiority complex on KC's part. I'd imagine being a Royals fan in a state dominated by the Cardinals may have some familiar feeling to being a Mets fan or an Angels fan or a White Sox fan. The Cardinals are one of the best franchises in sports history and as a result some of their fanbase has gotten a bit cocky about it and jealousy and annoyance on our part has certainly followed. Plus, interleague play means they've played every year for the last two and a half decades, so that's helped. 

So yeah, the Cardinals suck and I'm glad they lost. Though I guess that means I only have the Astros to root against now. 
    CoryCretanBull
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    @jluzania - that makes sense.  I was only 5 in 1985.
  • Dodgers fans really complaining about the wind as if only their at bats were affected. Not sure if this is more or less annoying than the complaining about the checked swings from late in the season but Dodgers fans doing their best Rockets fans impersonations
  • jluzania said:
    Cory said:
    jluzania said:
    I wouldn't begrudge the Dodgers' fans seeing their team win it this year. I feel like in some minds (including to an extent my own) last year's title has an asterisk. So if they get it after a full season, I'll be happy for them.

As Royals fan, though, I am more than happy to see the Cardinals crash and burn. Which they may be doing here in the bottom of the 3rd. 

Do Royals fan really begrudge St. Louis that much? I know its cross state rival and all, but other than geography where's the rivalry? They play in different leagues, have they ever played a meaningful game against each other?
    The first time they met back in 1985 was the most meaningful series they've ever played.

And geography has a lot to do with it. The cities in general have something of a rivalry and I do wonder if Missouri being by far the smallest state with two Major League teams plays into it somehow. In an area with smaller cities, this is probably the closest we get to the large metropolises with multiple teams. 

But I believe that the feelings are much more passionate on the KC side than StL's. The Royals don't really have that deep of a rivalry with other teams, even in their own division, so I think the team's fans like having one with a franchise that's so successful. Plus, there's certainly an inferiority complex on KC's part. I'd imagine being a Royals fan in a state dominated by the Cardinals may have some familiar feeling to being a Mets fan or an Angels fan or a White Sox fan. The Cardinals are one of the best franchises in sports history and as a result some of their fanbase has gotten a bit cocky about it and jealousy and annoyance on our part has certainly followed. Plus, interleague play means they've played every year for the last two and a half decades, so that's helped. 

So yeah, the Cardinals suck and I'm glad they lost. Though I guess that means I only have the Astros to root against now. 
    That's it exactly, the Cardinals are a giant, historic club (remarkable for a smaller city) and the Royals are...wait, who are the Royals?

jluzania
  • As a lifelong Cardinals fan and a lifelong St. Louisan (with some breaks here and there), I can tell you that Cardinals fans do not care much at all about playing or beating the Royals. But, my impression is that Royals fans (generally) care a great deal about playing and beating the Cardinals. I have a few friends who went to Mizzou (which is right at about the halfway point between STL and KC) and they’ve universally reported that the Cardinals hate is palpable amongst KC folks.

That said, as for this…

jluzania said:

So yeah, the Cardinals suck and I'm glad they lost. 

jluzania
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dodgers advance!!!

Let's go Bravos!
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited October 2021
    jluzania said:
    Cory said:
    jluzania said:

That's it exactly, the Cardinals are a giant, historic club (remarkable for a smaller city) and the Royals are...wait, who are the Royals?

For the time being, we'll just bask in the glow of being the state of Missouri's most recent World Series champion. In a similar way to how Cubs fans can enjoy being the NL Central's most recent World Series champion. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 2021
    Kiké!!
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Astros win, you hate to see it
  • Whelp it went to the bullpens early, and Altuve and Correa did what they do, despite Hernandez doing his best to put the Sox on his back. Hoping Eovaldi can get us 5+ innings today and spilt the series going to Fenway.
  • I think I'm pulling for a Red Sox-Braves WS, in part because the idea of Boston breaking the hearts of yet another NL team is kind of tempting.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    So how is your evening going? 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 2021
    cdrive said:
    So how is your evening going? 

Have the Astros considered simply tried to hit more grand slams? :p
    cdriveNoelCory
  • jluzania said:
    I think I'm pulling for a Red Sox-Braves WS, in part because the idea of Boston breaking the hearts of yet another NL team is kind of tempting.

I'm a Red Sox fan, but the idea of a Boston team breaking the hearts of another Atlanta team is almost too cruel for me.
    jluzaniaNoel
  • MrX said:
    jluzania said:
    I think I'm pulling for a Red Sox-Braves WS, in part because the idea of Boston breaking the hearts of yet another NL team is kind of tempting.

I'm a Red Sox fan, but the idea of a Boston team breaking the hearts of another Atlanta team is almost too cruel for me.
    "Almost".
    MrXcdrive
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 2021
    Who at Fox had the bright idea to put the post game show - which includes A-Rod - right in the middle of Fans leaving Fenway :D

Chinaski
  • Houston's starting pitchers have pitched so briefly this ALCS, I had to look up to see if this was some unorthodox strategy Dusty was implementing. Apparently not.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    unfortunate meltdown by ATL in the bottom of 8th yesterday. so close to going up 3-0!
  • One more win and we party like it’s 1999.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I’m gonna go outside with a fresh bourbon and smoke a cigarette.

Sweeeeet Caroliiiiine BOM BOM BOM! Good times never seemed so good. so good so good!