Bald Move Guitar & Gear Nerds!

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 2021
    A good ol’ buddy ol’ pal is moving some really choice pedals. He’s one of those constantly rotating gear and takes good care of his stuff. I know what he’s doing now - he’s culling the herd to go for that J Mascis tele. I know there were some Timmy & Klon fans here at least and hopefully this isn’t breaking any rules here.  Anyone see anything they want let me know and I’ll connect you.

——
    Tell yr guitar brethren I’ve got some sweet pedals for sale:

Vemuram Jan Ray - $300
    Timmy (V2 blue) - $200
    Black Cat War Pig amp top range master style treble booster - $120
    Archer “Jeff Beck mod” - $200
    Analogman Prince of Tone - $200
    Ryra Klone - $120
    Old ProCo Rat “woodcutter” - $300

——-
  • cdrive said:
    A good ol’ buddy ol’ pal is moving some really choice pedals. He’s one of those constantly rotating gear and takes good care of his stuff. I know what he’s doing now - he’s culling the herd to go for that J Mascis tele. I know there were some Timmy & Klon fans here at least and hopefully this isn’t breaking any rules here.  Anyone see anything they want let me know and I’ll connect you.

——

Vemuram Jan Ray - $300
    Timmy (V2 blue) - $200
    Ryra Klone - $120

——-
    I know someone who might want that Timmy, would it be a hassle to get some pics of it and a shipping quote to Toronto?
    cdrive said:

——

Vemuram Jan Ray - $300
    Timmy (V2 blue) - $200
    Ryra Klone - $120

——-
    I know someone who might want that Timmy, would it be a hassle to get some pics of it and a shipping quote to Toronto?
    DM me your email and I’ll have him contact you. 

This pic shows all of them but I’m certain he’ll gladly send pics. 

CretanBull
  • This thing sounds incredible!

cdrive
    I’m so in love with that Fender Rhodes Sparkle Top George Martin pulled out of his EMI arse on Get Back that Billy Preston eventually sat down at I need 3400 dollars.

https://reverb.com/item/3106400-1969-fender-rhodes-silver-sparkle-top-peterson-suitcase-piano-keyboard-felt-teardrop-raymac-tines
    CretanBull
  • I used to be a guitar player (at least in some sense). Some time ago, my guitars all became pieces of decoration. I finally just purchased a guitar for the *purpose* of making it a decoration.

cdriveCretanBull
    1st pedal I co-built. My pro pedal-building buddy said “just say you built it!” But I can’t…co-built. Haha. But a whole lot of those solders are mine! “Moonshot Tremolo.” It’s nice cause tremolos are notorious for volume drop, so it has its own volume. And a “smooth” knob to shape the tremolo wave which is super cool. Built w/ leftover hodgepodge parts.

CretanBull
  • That's awesome!  You'll be an in-demand boutique builder in no time!
    cdrive
    Fuzz Fuzz never enough Fuzz…
    Funk 49 Fuzz. (guitarpcb.com build) “ A smooth Fuzz/Gain Hybrid designed to get your Classic Joe styles cooking.”  also described as “modded champ tone.” Well okay…

Pedal-building buddy dropped this off on my porch to try. Not sure for keeps? Maybe I’m the Guinea pig. He knows I’m a fuzz addict. I’m starting to feel like that heroin junkie in movies who’s brought to the big deal to sample the merch to make sure it’s legit before the transaction haha.

Love the legendary Joe Walsh tone in Funk #49, but this was totally different, not in a bad way just not that. Aggressive all or nothing fuzz but smooth like a big muff opamp, which makes sense cause this is opamp, no transistors.

I looked up that Walsh on Funk #49 just used a fully dimed champ. Then my buddy later tells me if I open it up there’s a trim pot in the back. He had it way hot. I dialed it back a good 45 degrees and now can get a useful rhythm overdrive, that fully blown champ sound, and still have enough room to dial in that opamp fuzz sound towards the top end. I dig it! 

CretanBull
  • Nice! My favourite-ish fuzz (at least the one I use the most often) is the opamp Big Muff so this intrigues me.

I think today is going to be a new amp day for me.  I'm in the process of moving from a house to an apartment/condo and I don't think bringing my current tube amps with me is going to be possible.  I've been looking at and considering all kinds of options but with everything that I came across I felt like I was either compromising in some way - like in terms of features, sound etc.  Then a friend recommended a Revv D20 and it's the first thing that I've come across that sounds good and has all of the features (and a whole lot more!) that I want that is also practical for closer-quarter living.  It's a 20 watt amp head, with a built-in attenuator that drops it down to 4 watts and even in that mode with the volume down low it sounds really good.  Most importantly, it's a fantastic pedal platform.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger today, I just have to get a shipping estimate first..I want to make sure that it will get to my current address before I move - otherwise I'll have to wait and buy it after I get settled in to my new place.
    cdrive
    @CretanBull oooh that’s nice. I’d be in 4w mode 90% of the time but it’s nice you don’t have to go to a whole different amp if you need to go louder. And it’s Canadian!!  :)
    edited April 24
    Old buddy came over last night w/ new pedals and a bass amp. I’ve been itching to play bass so I jumped on it and somewhere along we got to playing Proud Mary. Felt good man. Proud Mary’s a thumper. 
  • I've lost the ability to post pics but I've gone on a bit of a gear spending spree over the last few weeks (sell a house, buy a smaller one - blow the profits on gear!).  I bought a Japanese strat that I liked so much I bought a Japanese Jazzmaster from the same series.  I've also completely redone my pedalboard, I've geared to towards something that I can use to play 'normal' stuff, but can also get weird with it.  Mission accomplished!

I'll see if I can get pics to post.
    Wow sounds fun. Why not throw at least a little of that towards gear! Interested in seeing your new MIJ stuff and which series you’re talking about.  I just always use Firefox app and that still works for posting pics. Fingers crossed! 
  • The series is the "Hybrid" series, the original one from a few years ago - there's a new "Hybrid II" series out so a lot of places are discounting the old ones.  They're GREAT guitars!  The bodies, necks and hardware are all Japanese.  The pickups and electronics are are American, and they're spec'ed to be modern American (like 9.5 fretboard radius instead of the 7.25 radius that Japan usually uses).  They're basically Japanese guitars made for an American audience. 

The strat I got was $1500 (Canadian, just under $1200 US), marked down to $1200 for clearance and then marked down to $900 because it had a tiny (when I can load pics I'll show you, but it's really small!) ding on it.  It cost me another $200 for shipping, import fees etc so all in it was $1100 (Canadian, $865 US).

The JM that I got was from the same series - so Japanese body, neck & hardware, US pickups and electronics.  That one I got from a store that deal in US currency and I paid $1020 US for it, with free shipping.  I'll still have to pay the broker fee ($40 Canadian) and the import fee (5% of the Canadian value, so about $65 CND).  It's still in shipping and hasn't arrived yet, but this one is going to cost me a little over $1400 CND with all the fees etc (about $1100 US). 
    cdrive
  • I tried using the Firefox app but it wouldn't even let me log in.  I entered my name and password, it gives me one of those "I am not a robot" boxes to click and I have to verify by picking out the chimneys in a picture of some roofs, I successfully verify and then it kicks me back to the screen where I have to enter my user name and password :(
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited April 26
    This is the ding that saved me $300!

cdrive
  • Anticipatory new guitar day today, I got a blem (plus 25% off) Xaviere Tele from Guitar fetish in Butterscotch. Should arrive this afternoon. Its the one with the hot rail style mini-buckers. I am intalling coil taps for each pup independently. If I like it the plan is to take it apart and  try my hand at relicing it.
    cdrive
  • Success!
    Byrdie said:
    Anticipatory new guitar day today, I got a blem (plus 25% off) Xaviere Tele from Guitar fetish in Butterscotch. Should arrive this afternoon. Its the one with the hot rail style mini-buckers. I am intalling coil taps for each pup independently. If I like it the plan is to take it apart and  try my hand at relicing it.

My friend has that same guitar in black and it's shockingly good!  There are lots of companies making inexpensive guitars that are actually good!
  • Couldn't quite figure the independent taps but instead did a master tap on the tone knob. The thing is a rock machine for sure and with the taps has plenty of twang. I'll post some pics but while it isn't perfect, it played quite well out of the box and the fit and finish is very nice.
    CretanBull
  • OK, any folks here parents and still gigging? I got few a kids and like being home with them but have a couple opportunities here in the Raleigh-Durham area to join some established acts. Anybody got any advice on that particular balancing act? Sorry to get all serious.
    edited May 6
    Byrdie said:
    OK, any folks here parents and still gigging? I got few a kids and like being home with them but have a couple opportunities here in the Raleigh-Durham area to join some established acts. Anybody got any advice on that particular balancing act? Sorry to get all serious.
    I was in a band full of dads towards the end of our run. I wasn’t yet a dad cause I was the youngest, but I really don’t see too much of a problem as long as you’re doing local shows.  We’d practice 1 or 2 times a week and do 1 show a month. As long as you keep your better half happy. But you need your me time.  
    Byrdie
    It's still a work in progress, but....how it came:

....and how it's looking now:

cdrive
    Oh hell yes space cowboy! 
    CretanBull
    I originally got that pickguard for a sonic blue Squier JM that I had, but I ended up selling it to help fund something else.  I think it looks cool on the white body too!
    I think my pedal board is complete, for now.  I haven't finished wiring it up yet because I ran out of patience ha!

cdrive
    That LYSIS!!