Martin Scorsese's list of essential foreign films -- And your favorites

2»

Comments

• aberry89aberry89 California
    For sure! Anime could use it's own list! Princess Mononoke is up there for me too. What an incredible film. I even really like Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo - even though they are not as well loved.

Graveyard of Butterflies fucking devasted me, as it should. But wow, I have only seen it once, I don't know how soon I can revisit it. 

edited March 2016
    @Frakkin T

Oh yeah, the Monty Python movies and show are an old standby for me. :)

One day lad, all this shall be yours!
    ....what the curtains?
    NO NOT THE CURTAINS!
  • @Frakkin T Yeah, I know the genre, but I forget what it's called, and there are some sub-categories as well. The theaters and tv are littered with those kinds of films over here. You've got dysfunctional family dramas, coming-of-age-teenage love stories that often culminate with bicycle ride with the girl on the back tire and eventually either the guy or the girl running down the street screaming the other person's name trying to get him/her back. All of this stuff gets made again and again and again, so I imagine Audition was quite shocking when it came out, though I wasn't here back then, so I'm not sure. I'll bet people who were familiar with Miike's work weren't all that shocked though. Unless they were shocked to see him doing a "domestic drama".
    Frakkin T
  • @aberry89 I love both "Perfect Blue" and "Paprika" and would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for quite a trip. "Perfect Blue" is such a great thriller and a really interesting commentary on the dark side of celebrity culture in Japan. "Paprika" is just a crazy sci-fi mind trip. If I had to draw parallels, I guess you could say there's some "Paprika" in "Inception", but "Paprika" is much more out there. If I didn't know any better, though, I would think Nolan got some ideas from "Paprika", especially in the opening and also the elevator sequence. Have you seen "Millenium Actress" or "Tokyo Godfathers"? Both are also by Kon. I don't think they are as good as "Perfect Blue" or "Paprika", but they are still good watches. And his tv series, "Paranoia Agent" is really interesting. 

And I also love Studio Ghilbli. I don't think Miyazaki has made a bad film. My favorites are probably "Spirited Away" and "Castle in the Sky", but that could change on any given day of the week. And I agree with both you and @kojiattwood and "Grave of the Fireflies". Utterly devastating. I don't think you could make it as a live action film. I'd be far too hard to watch.

Anyway, great picks. I hadn't heard of "Revanche". I'll have to check it out.
    edited March 2016
    I feel like I have heard Nolan go on record that Paprika, amongst many other surrealist movies inspired parts of Inception - I mean there is a STRAIGHT up homage with Ariadne touching the mirror and it shattering. I have only seen the previously mentioned films by Kon, but I will defiantly keep in mind the the other two you mentioned. And Paranoia Agent is an anime series that has been in my que for a while now. I also really, really love Mamoru Hosoda! Ugghhh his movies are so great. Wolf Children makes me cry every time!

And yeah, Miyazaki couldn't make a bad film if he tried. I can never get over how epic and grand one moment of his films can be, and in the next so small, intimate and full of humanity. I have yet to see Castle in the Sky though- there are still a few of his I need to get my eyeballs on! And you live in Tokyo yes? You probably get to see all those amazing animated Japanese movies far before we in the US do...any you saw recently that I should look out for?

And yes, do check out Revanche - it's a very small little movie, telling a small story but it really stuck with me for some reason. 

• If you're up for an anime series, Witch Hunter Robin is superb.
  • @aberry89 I'd totally forgotten about the mirror shattering. I've never seen Nolan talk about Inception, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he mentioned "Paprika". And I'm in total agreement on Mamoru Hosada. He's great! I love "Summer Wars" and really enjoyed "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". Though I still haven't seen "Wolf Children". Actually one of the bigger animated films here last year was Hosada's latest: "The Boy and the Beast". I think it opened Stateside in February of this year, so you may be able to track it down. I haven't had a chance to see it, but it looks good.

As far as other stuff that I see before it hits the States, I haven't seen much recently because I've got a toddler running around and don't have much time to hit the theaters, but a couple I saw a year or so before they landed in America were Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises" and Takahata's "The Tale of Princess Kaguya". The latter being by the same director as "Grave of the Fireflies". Kaguya is really good, if you haven't seen it. It has an amazing style and is really moving in the end. I'll keep an eye out though, for any that haven't gotten play overseas and post if I see anything good. Most of the big animated films here though are the yearly Doraemon releases and stuff like that for kids. It's interesting, as there's a ton of stuff that is really popular overseas, but never really catches on here. Kon is one that never really got mainstream appreciation. He does have a fanbase here, but it isn't anywhere near the Ghibli level. And stuff like "Cowboy Bebop" or "Samurai Champloo" never was popular over here. Right now, though, one of the biggest series over here is also really big overseas and that is "Attack on Titan". One series to maybe keep an out for that I don't think is available Stateside yet is called "Ajin". I haven't seen it yet, but it seems to be building momentum. I know nothing of the story, but the artwork I've seen on the posters and ads is really cool.

@kojiattwood Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't heard of that series.
This discussion has been closed.