NFL 2017/18 Chat Thread

Comments

• The ending of the Vikes-Saints game was just nuts.  After the receiver caught it, I'm thinking "dude, get out of bounds" but then as he turns it up field and I thought "oh, I guess there is no one in front of him".  Just seeing the replay and you have to wonder if anything was said to the Saints D players before that snap like "whatever you do, just do your best to keep them in bounds".  It was also interesting to me at how the Vikes were celebrating once they took the lead with the FG but I thought, that's Drew Brees and you left him about 90 seconds and all he needs to do is get into FG range to potentially win, uh....don't celebrate just yet.

As for Jags-Steelers, I can't say that anyone saw that one coming.  I personally didn't have a problem with Tomlin kicking the on-side kick as oppose to kicking deep but in today's game, how do you not know if you're down by 2 scores, no timeouts and under 1 minute that your goal should be to just get into FG range, kick the FG as quick as possible and then go for the on-side kick again leaving yourself as much time on the clock as possible to get the 2nd score.

Pats-Titans- that game pretty much went the way everyone expected with the small exception of the Titans actually scoring first.

Eagles-Falcons- interesting game.  Have to say that Foles played better than expected (or maybe they changed the offense around enough to make it suit Foles) but I think the Eagles D should be getting more of the credit as well as their run game.

bizmarkiefader
  • edited January 2018
    In regards to the Vikings Saints Game......I live in Minnesota and have been a Vikings fan for all of my life.  I was actually on a plane from Florida back home to Minneapolis (luckily with TV) during the entire game.  As soon as we got that field goal with that much time left I knew we were in trouble.  Clearly it's Drew Brees and there's no question he's going into the Hall of Fame.  I was extremely worried and hoping Lutz would miss the field goal.  As soon as that happened I basically accepted it's over.  There's 25 seconds left and I have very little confidence in Forbath.  When Diggs caught that pass our entire plane erupted in cheers and clapping. 

Paul Allen, our radio announcer, deemed it the "Minneapolis Miracle" and if I'm not mistaken it's already gotten a Wikipedia page going for it.  I'm 29 and this is hands down my most memorable sporting moment.  On a side note the 99 year old lady they showed multiple times one of which was with Roger Goodell giving her Superbowl tickets, I graduated with her granddaughter that was sitting right next to her in the Vikings overalls.  Really cool to see that.

I really want to see the Jaguars upset the Patriots but the other part of me would love to see the Vikings beat the Patriots in the Superbowl if they make it there.  Here's to wishing Minnesota can finally do something big in a major sport other than Womens Basketball in the past 25 years. 

Complete side note, I've noticed a lot of people have where they are from next to their name in the forums.... How do I do that?
    RyanReesemanNoelcdrive
  • Pretty big story out on CTE - more evidence that it's not the big concussive hits causing CTE, rather all the small repetitive hits to the head, of which there are hundreds a game. Especially scary for high school (and younger) players.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/01/18/a-new-study-shows-that-hits-to-the-head-not-concussions-cause-cte/?utm_term=.d2462f0d15d8
  • Re: AFC Championship Game

... (sigh), dammit!
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 2018
    As a Pats fan ... sorry not sorry.

JoshuaHeterjohnnytruant
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    bet there’s nothing even wrong with brady’s hand
  • well, Alshon did say he was going to the Super Bowl this year. I mean he was still a Bear when he said it but it still counts. 
    Chinaski
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited January 2018
    I might just skip out entirely on having to see either the Patriots or Eagles win a Super Bowl
  • @Noel I’ve been a Cowboys fan my entire life, but seeing Brady win #6? Sorry to say it bro. But Fly Eagles Fly.
    Hatorian said:
    well, Alshon did say he was going to the Super Bowl this year. I mean he was still a Bear when he said it but it still counts. 
    haha right?
  • As a Giants fan, this is quite possibly the worst NFL season I've ever witnessed.
    Chinaski
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    sean.ray said:
    @Noel I’ve been a Cowboys fan my entire life, but seeing Brady win #6? Sorry to say it bro. But Fly Eagles Fly.
    Is there a way they can both lose?
    Chinaski
  • edited January 2018

Have to give credit where credit is due but for a QB to have played over 15 years and get to the Superbowl basically 50% of the time, I mean, just damn.

But here's hoping that Philly's D can step up to the challenge and get after Brady the same way they have others this post season.  If they can dominate the way those Giants teams were able to in the Superbowls against the Pats, then that's Philly's shot to win.  But if they can't dominate, well, it's going to be a long day (most likely) for Philly.

Also, as for the PI call towards the end of the 1st half, I think it was a legit call mainly because the Jag player didn't turn his head around in enough time.  Had he turned his head a few seconds early, then he can make a case that he's going for the ball.  But it appeared he turned his head a little too late and I think that's what got the flag thrown.

• Couple of pretty sweet looking plays to seal it for the Pats ...

Amendola toe tap when he was about 4 inches off the ground in the back of the endzone:

Gilmore laying out to defend the Jags last-chance pass:

word is that John DeFilippo may take the OC spot in AZ. wonder if he finds a way to get Foles there. that's where Foles went to college so it would be a cool story

• I was really hoping Smith would go somewhere I could root for him
  • Josh McDaniels has decided not to take the Colts job and stay with NE.

Sorry ARon.  Happened to the Bears 20 years ago also with Dave McGinnis.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 2018
    DrKen said:
    Josh McDaniels has decided not to take the Colts job and stay with NE.

I wonder if he found out some inside info on Luck's long-term health outlook and said "on second thought..."

Or most likely he was promised the Pats HC job when Bill retires in a couple years (which would be funny because Belichick was in the same situation with Parcells and the Giants and Jets back in the day).

Or ... It was all just an elaborate revenge-plot for deflategate.
  • MrX said:
    DrKen said:

I wonder if he found out some inside info on Luck's long-term health outlook and said "on second thought..."

Or most likely he was promised the Pats HC job when Bill retires in a couple years (which would be funny because Belichick was in the same situation with Parcells and the Giants and Jets back in the day).

Similar to Belichick except that I guess the GM (or if George Young wasn't actually GM, he was high up in the food chain to make decisions) of the Giants at the time was never going to hire Belichick since he didn't like him.  Let's also remember that McDaniels went to Denver and didn't exactly have a great record there.  Then again, Belichick didn't have a great record with Cleveland when he was there as well.
    MrX
  • MrX said:
    DrKen said:

Similar to Belichick except that I guess the GM (or if George Young wasn't actually GM, he was high up in the food chain to make decisions) of the Giants at the time was never going to hire Belichick since he didn't like him.  Let's also remember that McDaniels went to Denver and didn't exactly have a great record there.  Then again, Belichick didn't have a great record with Cleveland when he was there as well.

Haha yea as a Pats fan living in Colorado I'm acutely aware of how folks here feel about the McDaniels years. 
    wonder if Kraft 'sweetened' the deal by saying.. 'you got the HC spot here after BB retires next year...' (with more money too of course).

poor colts, hope they get someone that after a few years they will say the ole cliché 'everything happens for a reason'. turbo dick move on McDaniels part imo
  • On the lam, unless he particularly enjoys the pleasures of mutton.

MrX said:

• Chinaski said:
    wonder if Kraft 'sweetened' the deal by saying.. 'you got the HC spot here after BB retires next year...' (with more money too of course).

poor colts, hope they get someone that after a few years they will say the ole cliché 'everything happens for a reason'. turbo dick move on McDaniels part imo

Why would he want to follow BB without Brady?  He'll never live up to that combo.  Even if he consistently has winning seasons it won't ever be good enough.  Now he'll be hard pressed to get an interview anywhere else in the league.
  • As a Colts fan I'm not upset that we didn't get Mcdaniels since he's apparently an asshat.  The issue is we wasted weeks and passed on all other candidates.  At this point we'll either get a re-tread (Del Rio, Arians, Fisher?) or take a flyer on one of the Eagles assistants.  I would love it if Irsay offered Harbaugh 20 million to leave Michigan.
  • Chinaski said:

Why would he want to follow BB without Brady?  He'll never live up to that combo.  Even if he consistently has winning seasons it won't ever be good enough.  Now he'll be hard pressed to get an interview anywhere else in the league.

A solid point unless BB retires/resigns following the end of next season and Brady is capable of lasting a few more years and McDaniels takes over at the start of the 2019 season.  Although, it will be interesting to see if he was given another chance outside of NE to get a head coaching job.  I think he would but it might be a situation where the team that signs him demands that he sign the dotted line right away and put in language that they retain his rights should he try to resign right away (kind of like what happened when BB left the Jets and the Pats had to compensate the Jets to get BB).

As for your other point, dead on that the Colts ended up wasting time courting McDaniels and are now left scrambling to find a head coach.

• Jimmy G got PAID...137.x over 5 years...o_O
This discussion has been closed.