Last Active
  • A Slight Twist on the Simulation Theory

    So I was out on my daily government sanctioned walk listening to the podcast for "Genre" and I had an idea. I checked the Westworld subreddit and didn't see anything about it so I thought I'd flesh it out here. I agree that by the end of the season we will find out that portions of the season were in a simulation, but I do not think this is a mirror world created by Robo Hobo or Serac. 

    In an interview before the season Jonathan Nolan said, “This is season is a little less of a guessing game and more of an experience with the hosts finally getting to meet their makers”. Now maybe I'm being a naive sweet summer child, but I believe him when he says this. If any of the current simulations theories are correct, then he straight up lied lol. 

    The show already has a established the letterbox aspect ratio as the cinematic language telling us were in a simulation. We see it in the Forge and in War World once Maeve realizes what's going on. We don't see this aspect ratio anywhere else in season 3 including the "glitches in the matrix" that people point to as evidence of a Robo Hobo simulation.  It's one thing to have a twist. It's another thing to trick you're audience. Again that also is relevant to making “This is season...less of a guessing game...".

    We know that there are limits to Robo Hobo's knowledge. That's essentially what the divergences are showing us. Even if Serac is aware of Delores' presence, he's unable to predict her actions, at least up until now. I doubt that Robo Hobo knows what Bernard and Stubbs are up to either considering he's a wanted man. Also just because of the nature of the story we mostly have hosts as POV characters. There are some possible glitches with Jesse, but he's not exactly a reliable narrator. Let's assume for the sale of argument that Serac is a regular human. I can't think of any simulation glitches from his POV. How would Robo Hobo be able to simulate all these scenes that are happening from a hosts POV? For example, the rocket scene with Bernard, I don't think Robo Hobo would have anyway of knowing what Bernard and Stubbs were up to at that time. That said, there could be more info in future episodes that knocks down this argument. 

    I went and did some research on Simulation Hypothesis, and by "reasearch" I mean I read the Wikipedia article lol. So here's Nick Bostrom's description of it. 

    Many works of science fiction as well as some forecasts by serious technologists and futurologists predict that enormous amounts of computing power will be available in the future. Let us suppose for a moment that these predictions are correct. One thing that later generations might do with their super-powerful computers is run detailed simulations of their forebears or of people like their forebears. Because their computers would be so powerful, they could run a great many such simulations. Suppose that these simulated people are conscious (as they would be if the simulations were sufficiently fine-grained and if a certain quite widely accepted position in the philosophy of mind is correct). Then it could be the case that the vast majority of minds like ours do not belong to the original race but rather to people simulated by the advanced descendants of an original race.

    The slight detail I think people are missing is that outside of the Westworld fandom discussions about Simulation Hypothesis usually center around us being inside an ancestor simulation. So my theory is that when we see these glitches were watching an ancestor simulation being run by the hosts in the far future when humanity is extinct or maybe severely endangered. If this is true it makes a re-watch more interesting without convoluting the plot or making Nolan a liar. Also if this is a far future simulation so powerful that it can simulate consciousness then I can forgive the show for not using the letterbox aspect ratio. There's essentially no way differentiate that simulation from reality. It also conveniently explains how the simulation knows what Delores and Bernard are doing throughout the season. 

    This would really tie in the post credit scene from season 2 where we see William in the real world in his own version of an ancestor simulation. If humanity collapses they way that Robo Hobo predicts it, that explains why hosts would be interested in an an ancestor simulation or testing the MiB for fidelity. This also ties in with Ford's master plan to get hosts off the island and his sentiment that they are the next evolution of humanity. 
  • Content Idea: The Remake and the Original

    It would be really cool if they did some of the East-West remakes like Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven
    You could honestly do a whole podcast just on how Asian cinema has influenced Hollywood and vice versa. 
  • Winds of Who Cares

    I'm fully in. Maybe I wouldn't be if the show ending was more satisfying. Also I have questions I feel I was promised the answers to lol. What's up with Quaithe? Why are the seasons weird? How did they defeat the White Walkers the first time around? I could go on lol...

    Maybe I'm a sucker, but I feel like GRRM is trying. Probably not as hard as he can, but he wants people to not hate him lol. Sorry for getting morbid about this. A human life is more important than "tits and dragons". However, I think people are really underrating the chances that ASOIAF is finished posthumously. Some of greatest authors of the last couple centuries had posthumously completed works. I think there's 99% chance we still get WoW, if GRRM doesn't finish it himself. There's a 1% chance that GRRM takes legal action to stop that, but who knows. I think there's a 50/50 chance we get Dream of Spring in any form. Maybe like 1:6 odds GRRM completes the series. 
  • Dumb/Funny Things That You Thought Were True When You Were a Kid....

    When I was young my brother told me that Kobe Bryant was our cousin. He's not lol. Of course I never met him and no one else in the family ever mentioned it, but I definitely told a lot of people haha. However, a couple years ago I found out that my grandfather did know Kobe Bryant's dad back in the day. I've never asked my brother if that's kernel of truth where that came from, but I should. 
    NoelCretanBullFlukesken hale
  • Westworld -301- Parce Domine (Spoilers)

    I think Delores accidentally framed the wife who was getting beat for murder lol. What is she gonna tell the police?

    Also years of Christian private school education have finally paid off lol. So Rehoboam was the son of Solomon. Solomon (Insight founder?) was very wise and wealthy and built the temple to house the ark of the covenant and the literal presence of God. Rehoboam was a bad King so the people rebelled and split the kingdom in two. Ten tribes followed Jeroboam and went to the northern kingdom. 

    Not sure if any of that is going to be relevant. I do like the idea of Delores bringing some humans over to her side like the ten tribes. If I'm not mistaken the two kingdoms don't go to war. So maybe there's an anticlimactic ending. It might be worth to read II Kings, but I'm not gonna do it lol.